Car PC? No, It's Aria PC.

Thread Starter #1
Hi!
As I was discussing on my thread.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/14611-its-my-pride-my-tata-aria.html
since a while. Now the project came into action.
You know. its my pride! that my simba aria is going to be first aria in the country to have a carputer.
Let us have a quick overview of my setup.
1. High definition entertainment sorce.
2. Multitasking with multiple monitors.
3. Eyes free access. using steering wheel controls and remote controls.
4. Broadband internet and intranet connectivity.
5. DLNA for media streaming from mobile devices.
6. OBD in future.
7. Potable plug and play pc case . for moving easily to my home theater.
Friends I need your advices in all the stages. To make things easy.
To start with. I bought mainboard. Make digilite model dl-AHD1S-K cost 4100INR. With 2gb DDR3 ram. Cost 1200INR.
Am considering M2 ITX DC DC 160w PSU. Could you please put me to some sorce in india for faster shiping? I heard about iride. But no luck there website is down and all there contact numbers are not responding.
Coming to the cabinet. What material should I use? Acrylic, plywood, or steal?
I don’t mind going with an ready built cabinet from the market as long as it is very small in size.
To keep the cabinet smaller. I will be not adding any hard drives in this setup.
I will be using linux or windows on the USB. Am not sure at this time.
In total I will be having 3 screens.
1. Using HU screen for the driver and the front passenger.
2. Headrest display for the middle bench.
3. One more headrest display for the last row.
Nun of them are tuch capable. As I mentioned before. I want to have eyes free access to some of the features used regularly.
For the extensive usage. an potable wireless keyboard and mouse will be kept inside the car.
Friends now its your turn! start talking please.
Waiting for yout inputs.

Attachments

Re: car pc? no! its aria pc.

Oh great project Suman which I have never thought about !!

I am bit poor in suggesting something in this subject, so glued to the thread to see the advice from our members and progress of the project. All the best to you[:)]

Coming to the cabinet. What material should I use? Acrylic, plywood, or steal?
I feel, you should go for the market based cabinets. Bet you shouldbe able to get small sized cabinets in the dimension of 10" x 10" x 4 ". way back in 2006 our company had cpu unit of this dimension. So Surely you should be able to get a small cabinet that would fit under the seat.
Another reason for going for ready made cabinet is fit and finish would be good. Acrylic, wooden, steel ones will not have that fit and finnish and may not gel well with car interiors.

My two pence on it.

Glued on to your thread. Keep it coming!!!

Thread Starter #4
I feel, you should go for the market based cabinets. Bet you shouldbe able to get small sized cabinets in the dimension of 10" x 10" x 4 ". way back in 2006 our company had cpu unit of this dimension. So Surely you should be able to get a small cabinet that would fit under the seat.
Another reason for going for ready made cabinet is fit and finish would be good. Acrylic, wooden, steel ones will not have that fit and finnish and may not gel well with car interiors.

My two pence on it.

Glued on to your thread. Keep it coming!!!
Unfortunately I couldn’t find any ITX cabinets in Hyderabad.
My search started online!

Unfortunately I couldn’t find any ITX cabinets in Hyderabad.
My search started online!
Couple of leads for you:
Mini-ITX Cabinet For HTPC / Desktop + PicoPSU-80w 12V DC-DC ATX power supply | eBay Cost Rs.4500

Mini Itx cabinet / mini itx case / mini itx casing for thin client / htpc at Best Prices - Shopclues Online Shopping Store
This one has been provided a stand which can act as hmm clamps and possibly be screwed near available side walls under the seats. also has fans for cooling.

Have you considered using a tablet as one of the display, using the tablet bluetooth along with the bluetooth obd 2 might make it a little bit easier. May be because your preference is touch free but you could do voice commands or something with the tablet as well.

Thread Starter #7
Have you considered using a tablet as one of the display, using the tablet bluetooth along with the bluetooth obd 2 might make it a little bit easier. May be because your preference is touch free but you could do voice commands or something with the tablet as well.
hi ir thats a good idea.
but i dont want to go with voice commands because it may not work well in noisy conditions.
am working on USB IR remotes and some scripting to use folder change and track change options.
as soon as am done with that. i will come up with some option to put some buttons on dash.

Thread Starter #8
O no!
The mother board is not working.
I have connected it with one of the spare PSU which was lying under my desk.
No power no display and no pc speaker beep.
I will be replacing it today. Thanks for the 3years warranty.

hi ir thats a good idea.
but i dont want to go with voice commands because it may not work well in noisy conditions.
am working on USB IR remotes and some scripting to use folder change and track change options.
as soon as am done with that. i will come up with some option to put some buttons on dash.
You could still use a blue tooth keyboard or something, the reason I say a tablet is future OBD2 integration becomes easy. Cheers!

Thread Starter #11
Got my main board replaced!
Now my setup upgraded with SATA3 and USB 3.0 ports.
When I went to the store to replace my main board. The sails person gave me another board. I don’t wanted to take any chance this time.
So I decided to test the board there itself. Unfortunately even that board dint work!!
Thanks to SV electronics ltd. They have given me bio star A68I-350 deluxe R2.0.
A68I-350 DELUXE R2.0 :: Motherboard :: BIOSTAR
I have tested the board and it worked.
I also bought Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. Will upload the photos soon.
It costed me 1250INR.

bhvm

Honoured Member
hello bhokray,
it's nice to see you getting warmed up!
let's get our hands dirty on this.

what CPU and hdd have you brought?
First and foremost, SERIOUSLY consider using a 10 inch tablet rather than Intel PC. if you're jammed on using the PC, I'm ready. but it will be a herculean task adding your demands to a normal PC like GPS, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, touchscreen, hdd (you need special hdd ). also it'll overshoot the budget. I spent 80k on my safari in 2006 and yet it wasn't user friendly.
talk to me bro!

Thread Starter #13
hello bhokray,
it's nice to see you getting warmed up!
let's get our hands dirty on this.

what CPU and hdd have you brought?
First and foremost, SERIOUSLY consider using a 10 inch tablet rather than Intel PC. if you're jammed on using the PC, I'm ready. but it will be a herculean task adding your demands to a normal PC like GPS, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, touchscreen, hdd (you need special hdd ). also it'll overshoot the budget. I spent 80k on my safari in 2006 and yet it wasn't user friendly.
talk to me bro!
It is an AMD A6 cipset. With AMD e350D processor.
I am considering SSD hard drive in near future. Meanwhile I am exploring options to install windows7 on a USB drive. If it fails then I will be using openELEC. an very small OS for HDPC.
Can you please point me to some good PSU in india? I got few options on ebay but they are international sellers. I can not wait for such a long shipping times.

bhvm

Honoured Member
It is an AMD A6 cipset. With AMD e350D processor.
I am considering SSD hard drive in near future. Meanwhile I am exploring options to install windows7 on a USB drive. If it fails then I will be using openELEC. an very small OS for HDPC.
Can you please point me to some good PSU in india? I got few options on ebay but they are international sellers. I can not wait for such a long shipping times.
that's a VERY good board. I suggest you use it at your house and get a tablet for car. ssd shall do.

you can't install legal windows on USB but there are other workarounds. go for ssd straight away and save your headaches .
for the power supply, get a car inverter and run conventional smps. will he cheaper and more upgradablity.

Thread Starter #15
that's a VERY good board. I suggest you use it at your house and get a tablet for car. ssd shall do.

you can't install legal windows on USB but there are other workarounds. go for ssd straight away and save your headaches .
for the power supply, get a car inverter and run conventional smps. will he cheaper and more upgradablity.
I don’t mind using a tab in the car. but how many of them?
Because I wanted to have multiple screens. Moreover I need lossless high-fidelity audio. The tabs are not ment for that.
I already have a 150w car inverter. can I use this with my 400w SMPS?
And please get me your thread link. I wanted to have a look on your carpc.

Top Bottom