DIY Rear Wheel Bearing Change

Thread Starter #1
My 2005 Wagon R LXi was making a lot of humming noise which pointed out the issue in the bearing. On inspection, I could locate the issue in both front wheel bearing and one rear wheel bearing. I thought to do it DIY. Steps involved:
1. Break out (loose) the axle nut by removing the protective cover over the axle nut.
2. Remove the brake drum but jacking up the vehicle.
3. Remove the circlip over the bearing.
4. Take the brake drum to the hydraulic press along with new bearing.
5. Hydraulic press operator will remove out the old bearing and install the new one.
6. Follow the steps 4 to 1 in reverse order to put the whole thing back.
DONE!
Photos attached.

Attachments

Thread Starter #2
Some tips-
Many garages will resort to hammering out old bearing and hammering in new one. Though it can work fine, it might lead to reduction in bearing life as even hamering out needs specific tools with none of the friendly garages have. Using hydraulic press is the recommended approach by Maruti too. The press operator charge 50 to 100Rs per bearing for installation of the bearing in the hub. So, makes sense to use correct option.

It look a easy DIY.Only tricy part is taking the drum for hydraulic pressure . is there Any further adjustment is required since we are removing the break drum, loosening the axel nut etc.

Thread Starter #4
Amit, this Hydraulic Press is available at all the workshops which repairs heavy construction equipments (JCB/ Dumpers etc.). In Pune, on searching, I could find 5-6 such places within 10km distance.
There is nothing required except removing the center axle nut. Note that, after removing the brake drum/ hub, you must not use brakes on the car else it will destroy the brake cylinders!

Top Bottom