DIY BMW Style Ambient Lighting

Thread Starter #1
I came across the Ambient lighting technology in modern cars today while googling for some information (BMW, Audi,Merc etc.) Loved the concept and always wated to do something on my car as well as a DIY

Anyways this is what the Internet has to say about Ambient Lighting

You probably don’t want another reason to spend time in your vehicle, but car manufacturers are offering them anyway. Because drivers spend more hours than ever on the road (more than 100 per year, according to the U.S. Census Bureau), companies want to make cars feel a bit more comfortable, like home. One feature used to get that homey feeling is ambient lighting, which is strategically placed soft lighting found around the cabin (in dashboards, roofs, consoles, cup holders and doors). Ambient lighting was a novel concept in 2007 in luxury vehicles, and since then has become popular in lower- and moderately-priced models as well.

Nowadays companies are using a color that fits in with its brand–Mercedes uses a classic yellow, GMC and Kia have red, BMW has a sporty/safety-oriented orange and Saab uses fresh green. Buick, Lexus, Toyota and Chevrolet all use blue, which has been found to be the most calming to drivers and passengers.
All Ford vehicles (excluding fleet cars) have ambient lighting; the 2012 Ford Focus has seven colors (that the driver can rotate between) to illuminate the cupholders, instrument panel and footwells. Most are muted tones, but the lights can be turned to a bright white if you’re looking for something that’s fallen, for instance. The lights may or may not evoke a change in mood. As Ford spokesperson Kristen Kinley explains, people’s responses to light vary. In general, “blue is expected to evoke a soothing response, while red evokes energy. Or yellow, representing sunshine, might evoke a happy response. It isn’t usually about the mood, but more about how the interior looks,” she says. The 2011 Scion tC also has seven colors available in the optional interior light kit for the footwell, which illuminates when you open the door and is meant to be a welcoming, personalized feature.

But it’s not just about vanity and comfort; there’s also a safety element to these lights. A study conducted by BMW found that drivers find controls easier to use and that the car feels more spacious, warmer and safer with the soft glow from the lights. They also help illuminate door latches so passengers can exit easily. But the key to ambient lighting is keeping it low: studies found that bright lights distract drivers.

The bottom line is, ambient lighting isn’t necessary in a car; but as automotive manufacturers continue to add features and create the next item to appeal to drivers, ambient lighting is a nice, modern touch of luxury. Now, what’s next…Tempurpedic-style foam in the seats that molds to your body for maximum comfort?

Information source and rights - Autotrader.com

Pictures source and rights - Respective owners

Ambient Lighting of Mercedes -

2_200908222121132qp7p.jpg

6f9d840a.jpg

2010-GL-Ambient-Lighting.jpg

2012-ML-Class-Multicolor-Ambient-lighting.jpg

689594_1243070_5616_3744_08c758_071.JPG

G 55 AMG interior with ambient lighting.jpg

interior-8.jpg

int-lighting-715x230.jpg

SP32-20051226-233301.jpg

W166 Ambiant Light (2).jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
So it was time for some DIY, Im going to take this step by step, the ambient light will be in places given below

Step 1 Door Pads, Map Pockets
Step 2 Change ODO/Centre console light color
Step 3 Dashboard
Step 4 Gear Box console
Step 5 Roof Light
Step 6 Adding lights in Door opening latch

Step 1 –

Okay Nice picture to see , but time to get it done on my car

The testing on how it looks at home - Pics not doing justice, looks better when looking in person

When light is on -

And Let There be Light !

The following pics are taken after the fitments are done in the car -

Left Rear Door -

Driver Side Door -

Last edited:
Ohhhhh Hell Man they are looking super cool.. I really wanna get them. Few queries:

1) Did you use LED strip for light?
2) How much did the stuff cost?

Thread Starter #10
Im unable to quote messages as im replying from my phn

T Theferrarian & Saubhagyab t hanks for liking my work

- Yes, the wiring is a little complicated, doing it as a complete DIY also wouldnt be advisable if at all sufficient electrical knowledge is not at hand.... Atlest considering risk of short circuit an things like that. I tried this as a complete diy myself but prwfered having an electrical person around....
I had left tje work half complete and finally took help of an electrician, of corse he did a very shabby job and didnt complete the work also. He was pretty much not able to understand wat i intended to do

Two days earlier took help of a friend and completed the dashboard setup and all pending electrical work also re did the door pad connections

Yes those are leds in the door pads...... The dashboard lights however are called Electro luminocent lights commonly calked as EL lights

For a new car i would consult the after service folks before doing such electrical work keeping in mind the warranty

Last edited:
Im unable to quote messages as im replying from my phn

T Theferrarian & Saubhagyab t hanks for liking my work

- Yes, the wiring is a little complicated, doing it as a complete DIY also wouldnt be advisable if at all sufficient electrical knowledge is not at hand.... Atlest considering risk of short circuit an things like that. I tried this as a complete diy myself but prwfered having an electrical person around....
I had left tje work half complete and finally took help of an electrician, of corse he did a very shabby job and didnt complete the work also. He was pretty much not able to understand wat i intended to do

Two days earlier took help of a friend and completed the dashboard setup and all pending electrical work also re did the door pad connections

Yes those are leds in the door pads...... The dashboard lights however are called Electro luminocent lights commonly calked as EL lights

For a new car i would consult the after service folks before doing such electrical work keeping in mind the warranty
Thanks Rmp2500 for the descriptive reply.. Now I will start my search for a good shop to get it done.

Bloddy helll, that is one hell of a DIY. I always wanted such ambiance in my car. Now surely will get hold of some eletrician and get it done. (Ofcourse if I get time. [clap])

Fantastic work buddy !! [clap] Added rep.
BTW, can anyone upload the 'Lounge Lighting' in XUV. I forgot to check it out as it was day time. [roll]

Top Bottom