DIY : Carputer Installation In Toyota Qualis

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

Here is a DIY for carputer installation in my friends car.

System Spec :

Motherboard MSI G41
Processor Intel dual core 3ghz
Transcend ram 2 Gb
Seagate 500gb Laptop HDD
Audiotrack Prodigy 7.1 LTM sound card
Holux M1200E gps data logger
7 inch touch screen with VGA & Svideo.
Belkin DC to AC converter

I have done a basic setup, I have used Win7 and Centrafuse ver 4.

I have used the normal SMPS for powering it I have used Belkin Dc to Ac converter which plugs to the cigar plug.

Though I am facing issues with the GPS data logger, its unable to fetch data. Experts please help.

Here are some pic's.

Attachments

Varun, i think this is the second DIY thread of yours which i am commenting in a single day itself. Kudos to your hard work. I very well know how much patience a DIY requires since i have been a failure in most of the basic ones.

BTW, kudos to your friend for maintaining that Qualis so well.

Thread Starter #4
Varun, i think this is the second DIY thread of yours which i am commenting in a single day itself. Kudos to your hard work. I very well know how much patience a DIY requires since i have been a failure in most of the basic ones.

BTW, kudos to your friend for maintaining that Qualis so well.
Thanks Akash..

The Qualis is 9 years old, clocked 180k kms.

Awesome Varun your getting better by the day !

What is the cost involved for the entire project ?
Thanks.. The approximate cost came upto 15k.

I am also in the process of installing PC in my Safari. BTW, you mentioned that you have used a DC-AC convertor then why that Pico-PSU you used?

Where is the PC kept and how did you deal with the frequent ignition ON-OFF on traffic signals? Did'nt the PC restarts?

Congrats Varun, Neat Car, Nice DIY (Fitting on dashboard is clean), How much did that touch screen monitor cost?
Is there anyway you can remove that SMPS & DC-AC Converter? may be with a 10A fuse direct to the battery with switch or something. I am just thinking about the last post by "mercedised".

Thread Starter #9
I am also in the process of installing PC in my Safari. BTW, you mentioned that you have used a DC-AC convertor then why that Pico-PSU you used?

Where is the PC kept and how did you deal with the frequent ignition ON-OFF on traffic signals? Did'nt the PC restarts?
PC is fitted below driver's side as the 10 cd changer has been placed below the passenger seat, at the rear amp has been fixed.
I have to check it yet, but when I tried starting the engine with the system on, only the monitor/screen went off, system was running. Let me check once more.

Congrats Varun, Neat Car, Nice DIY (Fitting on dashboard is clean), How much did that touch screen monitor cost?
Is there anyway you can remove that SMPS & DC-AC Converter? may be with a 10A fuse direct to the battery with switch or something. I am just thinking about the last post by "mercedised".
Thanks. The touch screen costed 7k. The pic show above is the smps which works on 12v but it dint work since it dint have 24 pin connector so I had to use the normal SMPS with DC-AC converter.

Last edited:
PC is fitted below driver's side as the 10 cd changer has been placed below the passenger seat, at the rear amp has been fixed.
I have to check it yet, but when I tried starting the engine with the system on, only the monitor/screen went off, system was running. Let me check once more.
Also, does'nt the gear-lever hinders the visibility of screen to the rear passengers? I think that you should have mounted it on the dashboard. Which model touchscreen is that? I have got VN-70. Why do you need a cd-changer when you have a PC? Just copy all the cd in to the PC. Or use a Pendrive. How much did the inverter costed.

P.S: Do you have any pictures of the wiring routing?

Thread Starter #11
Yes, the rear passengers can't see it. We dint have any other options to fit it on the dash. The cable length was less I had to fix it on the center console. Also it would look as OEM fitting.

Sorry I dont have the pic's of wiring, I have taken it under the center console.

Yes, the rear passengers can't see it. We dint have any other options to fit it on the dash. The cable length was less I had to fix it on the center console. Also it would look as OEM fitting.

Sorry I dont have the pic's of wiring, I have taken it under the center console.
So, you did'nt use the VGA extension cable? Or it was some other cable which restricted the mounting on the dash. Yes, it is looking good, but No point in installing it in the current position as it is mere a showpiece there, as the rear benchers can't utilize it.

Thread Starter #14
So, you did'nt use the VGA extension cable? Or it was some other cable which restricted the mounting on the dash. Yes, it is looking good, but No point in installing it in the current position as it is mere a showpiece there, as the rear benchers can't utilize it.
Yes I didn't use VGA extension cable, also the usb cable for touch screen connectivity. Will shorty try to move it, please suggest a perfect place on Qualis dash.

installations look perfect varun. where did you place the cabinet? under driver seat? so how will you swich on this? manually or turns on automatically after ignition ?
Thanks, I have installed it below the driver's seat. I have to switch it on manually.

Good work dude! Congrats...

Any reason for not using an android based tablet? Would have been much easier and presumably cheaper.

Top Bottom