T.R. Sawhney (Maruti Suzuki) Service Center – Highly Disappointed

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Here’s a copy of the letter that I wrote to Maruti Suzuki expressing my grievances with their authorized service center that goofed up with the brakes of my car.
On 12 May 2012, I took my Maruti 800 DX (Done around 35,000 Kms by then) to T.R Sawhney for a usual paid service but I wish if I knew that a single experience with them is going to become a nightmare for me. As soon as I went to T.R Sawhney, I was asked to park the car facing on the main gate (It was the only gate open for entry and exit) until the service advisor comes to prepare the checklist and estimate.

Meanwhile, I was waiting the security guards were continuously moving the car back and forth in order to allow other cars to enter in and out, rather than parking my car at one place in a corner. This kept happening for over 15 Minutes and I was still waiting. Similarly, another 15 Minutes passed and alas, no signs of any service advisor coming around to attend my car. I asked the receptionist and she hazily advised to wait for a few more minutes. I was upset and decided to service the car from elsewhere.

Surprisingly all of sudden a lady from their staff came from nowhere and told me to wait, while she was ringing another person (Mr. Sharma). He came up to attend. I briefed him about whatever minor work my car required (apart from servicing) like fixing a door lock, replacing fused parking bulb etc. After taking test-drive together, he prepared the service estimate.

While the car was being serviced, he informed the rear (right) wheel brake cylinder is leaking and therefore needs replacement. I accepted and told to proceed. It was evening by now and the car was still in the basement (workshop) with no work was being carried on. After pursuing the staff to rather utilize the time and bring it to the floor for washing and cleaning, it was finally there. Since it was already evening, the labor was in hurry to leave and did a “quick” (Literally quick) washing and interior cleaning. Anyways, I paid the bill (which was more than the estimate for unexpected items) and left back to home.

Misery Begins:

After parking the car at home, I smelled a slight burning odor from the rear wheel. Yes. It was the same wheel whose cylinder was just replaced. Next day, when I was driving, I realized that the brakes have become extremely weak and the pedal was making weird noise upon depressing. Thankfully, there was a fuel station in front and I parked the car there for the local mechanics to inspect. Guess what? The brake fluid reservoir was EMPTY. There was no indication of it on the instrument cluster either. Though that didn’t entirely solve the issue.

Since I was extremely busy that week, I left the car parked in its own state. The weekend arrived and I observed that the brake fluid reservoir was again empty. Moreover, the new wheel cylinder that was fixed to prevent ‘leakage’ was also itself leaking. I was thoroughly disappointed. After making several calls to T.R Sawhney (a few were unattended), I filled up the brake fluid and decided to take the car back to the service center.

The staff as usual was making excuses by counting the ‘age’ factor of the vehicle and what not. But I knew that I definitely did not receive the car in the condition in which I left it. However, Mr. Sharma inspected the vehicle and accepted the burning smell issue as well as the weak braking ability that could have translated into a serious mishap if I had just relied on T.R Sawhney with a perception in mind that they are highly ‘qualified’ and professional’.

After a few hours of check up and repairs, I was assured that the car is now fit and fine. I also found that the brakes were functioning better too this time. But hey, how can I miss that a visit to T.R Sahwney remains incomplete if the car returns back without a fault? This time I found that the handbrake lever plastic was damaged. This happened while the mechanics were hammering inside near the handbrake. Nevertheless, I was still glad that the brakes were working well but that happiness short lived.

I noticed the wheel cylinder was still leaking again albeit slowly. I used to check under the hood on brake fluid reservoir every day before driving the car. Soon, finally decided to get it fixed from a local mechanic instead who replaced the wheel cylinder. Voila. It has been around a month and the car is working flawlessly without weak braking or leakage whatsoever, except for the loose brake pedal which I plan to fix only at a local workshop and definitely not at T.R Sawhney.

I am loyal customer of Maruti Suzuki from about a decade now. However, such incompetent as well as unprofessional attitude at after sales raises certain questions in my mind.

> Are the so-called fully equipped authorized workshops so incapable that it takes them hours to work on an issue and still return the car back without resolving it? On the other hand, a roadside mechanic fixes exactly the same thing in less than an hour.

> What if I had trusted T.R Sawhney second time too when they assured the problem was fixed although the fact is that the cylinder was still leaking? If I had not kept a check on the brake fluid reservoir in spite of their assurance, my car could have been a serious hazard on the roads not only for me but also for other road users.

Sorry to say but it was the most bitter experience ever in servicing my Maruti, which was already not so delightful lately (Reason: Link). It is certainly one of the reasons why I did not even consider any Maruti Suzuki car as my second vehicle. Please excuse this long E-mail but I thought I must share this experience with the manufacturer that I have trusted for years. Hope you would consider and work on it appropriately because I really do not wish other customers who have spent their hard-earned money on their Maruti to end up being disappointed in future like me.
Drive Safe,
350Z

Re: T.R. Sawhney (Maruti Suzuki) Service Center – Highly Disappointed

Oh very sad to hear about the problem. I suggest you to search for a reliable local mechanic. So finally is the leakage problem solved ?
Also check for the plug near the reservoir, they might have not plugged it so you are not getting the waring lamp.

I faced the same issue with the ASS, what ever problem you state - the answer would be the same, Sir - your car is old these are common some cant be fixed too.

I don't know why they treat 800 like this.

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team
Oh very sad to hear about the problem. I suggest you to search for a reliable local mechanic.
I used to avoid local mechanics earlier, but after a few bad experiences with Maruti Service Centers, I think I’m better off with them.

So finally is the leakage problem solved?
Yes. The issue has been resolved. All thanks to that local mechanic. Just the brake pedal has loose play that I will fix at a nearby workshop.

Also check for the plug near the reservoir, they might have not plugged it so you are not getting the waring lamp.
Sure. Let me check that right now.

Drive Safe,
350Z

The free play is because the brake pipes are not bleed ed properly. When they open the brake pipes air will be filled, so there will be air gaps. When you press the brake the air gaps makes the spongy effect causing play.

Must have been a frustrating experience. BTW, Vibhor, you should've given the service dept. head a tight scolding for the poor workmanship. Anyways, now that you are onto local mech. let me suggest you to pay a visit to Pandit & Co. in okhla. They charge a bit more than locl mechs. but really worth the price.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #6

350Z

Core Team
Strange that it’s been over 48 Hours and I have still not received a response from Maruti Suzuki. Not even an acknowledgement. I sent it to contact@maruti.co.in. I’m not demanding any compensation. Just thought to bring such issues to their attention.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #8

350Z

Core Team
Maruti customercare is useless as per my experience. Try AKOSHA
Sites like Akosha are helpful in case of disputes between seller and buyer. I think it's better if I directly let Maruti Suzuki know (Mr.Nakanishi or Mr.Bharagava) about what’s going on in their business. And if it continues then the day is not far when this topic will turn out to be true: End of the Road of Maruti Suzuki Dominance?

Drive Safe,
350Z

TR Sawhney(Rohini) used to be a good dealer some 3-4 years back when we bought our Swift VXi,in fact there was a chrome sticker saying 'TR Sawhney' was also stuck on the boot just below Swift.
Maybe they have become arrogant thinking that people believe them with blind eyes.BTW,I think Maruti A.S.S. does this with 800,Omni and Alto customers only because their 'premium' customers of Swift,SX4 etc seems to be happy.

Sites like Akosha are helpful in case of disputes between seller and buyer. I think it's better if I directly let Maruti Suzuki know (Mr.Nakanishi or Mr.Bharagava) about what’s going on in their business. And if it continues then the day is not far when this topic will turn out to be true: End of the Road of Maruti Suzuki Dominance?

Drive Safe,
350Z
i hope they listen. do u have email of top management [frustration]

Strange that it’s been over 48 Hours and I have still not received a response from Maruti Suzuki. Not even an acknowledgement. I sent it to contact@maruti.co.in. Let me wait for a week otherwise I would directly forward it to higher authorities. I’m not demanding any compensation. Just thought to bring such issues to their attention.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Looks like the company has not came out from its lockout mood.

Dear 350Z
I used to service my Maruti Swift Vxi with ABS at Speed Wheel Service centre at Farakka , Murshidabad , WB .
Last time I was so disappointed with their service and behaviour I planned to change my car 1 year earlier than I thought.
Niladri

Guess what? Not a single response from Maruti Suzuki till now. And No. I’m not surprised. [thumbsdown]

Drive Safe,
350Z
Dear friend,
i had an issue with my wagonR bought from Popular, finally i sent a registered letter to Popular Head office, cc to MUL gurgaon and Kerala head offices. that did the trick. still i am not satisfied with Popular Motors.

Just like Varun says the MUL ASS treats the 800 very badly. little do they know that it was the 800 that paved the path for MUL and for their current jobs. the 800, flagship of MUL broke the monopoly of Ambi and fiat (no offense, i am a Great Ambassador fan and i love fiat and premier, my fav being the 118NE, how i love to see that car with a new engine).
so i think that the Service centres must give more respect to the 800. i had to fight with MUL ASS to get more respect for my old 800.

@350Z

I think this has become common these days with Maruti serice guys !! due to the number of vehicles they receive every day !!

It is not only for M800, it is the common attitude for all the cars, as I can notice this from past 6 to 7 years, the service quality is coming down slowly as they are just trying to fill the notice board with which SA has booked how many cars for the day for servicing and did they achieve their so called service targets for the day/month.

I felt this when I serviced my Ritz(LDI) recently apart from oil changes and top up, there is no focus on any other issues reported and washing quality, clutch, brakes satisfactory working is out of their agenda and just giving back the vehicle with a eyewash !!

I looking forward to take this up when I go for next service with them seriously first discussing with their works and sales head that what kind of servicing they are doing and would like to check it thoroughly and if not satisfied, then hit all the top brass of Maruti with good registered letters and if required go to the extent of Suzuki Japan !!

According to me this is just not a simple thing either it is Suzuki or Ford, we the customers has to take it up in a such way which will alert them well in time to wake up and smell that something is really serious if they are neglecting customers.

I suggest all the TAIans whichever is the brand to be very careful while regular servicing s and estimates prepared, billed spares(take a look at the replaced parts always and collect them). If we start doing this seriously, the service guys will feel the heat and become responsible towards customers and have some fear before charging for some thing.

Sorry for a big post, but I could not resist after looking at your experience, after all it is our hard earned money !!

Top Bottom