Customer Manhandled at Landmark Jeep

Thread Starter #1
So what can be the new low in customer service industry? Hurling choicest abuses and manhandling a customer? I was surprised after having watched this video. Even if the customer made a fault or even if he abused, things could have been handled in a way way better manner, but here are two sales guys who directly thrashed the customer [frustration]

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I am waiting for the other side of the story.

After the lady with the kid towing incident i will never come to a conclusion based on one sided video.

In any case, this has absolutely nothing to do with Jeep, the car manufacturer. To those who are spreading this around, please note. The Jeep car company should not be judged by this, nor are they answerable beyond a point. People sometimes overstretch their expectations and social media has made them completely irresponsible. Jeep can reprimand the dealer at the most, but is more answerable for an engine or airbag failure than for an altercation between dealer and customer. Lets stay focused on the core issues please !

Thread Starter #5
Jeep can reprimand the dealer at the most,
Nothing more is either expected from Jeep. Brand building is not something where you stand up and say "oh, my authorised dealer screwed you? Okay, go and screw them".

Brand building is a long exercise where dealers do play a huge role in making or killing of a brand, several such examples in history. So, simply saying that Jeep has nothing to few things to do with it all is not just redundant, but meaningless too to some extent. It is more of a service industry where you get a product bundled to a couple of services, and the dealer is nothing but an extension of the brand; it is the brand these days which defines the dealership experience by deciding the factors like dealership design, ambience and even the staff behavioral patterns and hence if a customer is facing such an experience, he/ she has all the rights to approach the brand.

What is the other side of the towing incident? I am interested in that story.
The second video showed the child was in the arms of father outside the car. The police personnel were asking the woman to step out of the car before towing but she refused. It is obvious that the dad gave the child to the mom and filmed the whole sequence of cops towing the car away with the baby inside the car. The couple should be fined heavily for the misleading video which lead to suspension of the cop.
Watch the moments before Mumbai traffic police towed away a car with woman and baby | India Videos | - India Today Video

So what can be the new low in customer service industry? Hurling choicest abuses and manhandling a customer? I was surprised after having watched this video. Even if the customer made a fault or even if he abused, things could have been handled in a way way better manner, but here are two sales guys who directly thrashed the customer [frustration]

Shocker. Even if the man wearing Safari suit was wrong, the Video shows TOTAL lack of maturity on the part of many wearing Coat-Suit. For me, a debate on 'who is right and who is wrong' is trivial NOW. Thrashing a guy sitting ALONE... that too from BEHIND ??? A MAN does not do THAT.

Let us say, there is an argument between a Customer and their Sales Rep, due to miscommunication on the price of some accessories, resulting in Customer required to pay more money. It happened to me, on the price of seat covers. If Customer refuses to pay, will they beat him up ???

Before selecting a Verna (in Nov/Dec 2012), I made calls for TD, to Renault (for Duster) and VW (for Vento). Both never bothered to even CALL BACK. In past five years, I have NEVER recommended a Renault or VW Product to anyone. PERIOD. You JEEP Guys, you noting this point ? THIS is HUMAN nature.

That Showroom Gentleman with Folded hands at 1:13 Min (in the first Video). THAT is OUR Indian Culture. My respects to YOU, Sir.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Is this by chance the Mathura Road Dealership? A new Low in the customer service industry. Never expected this sort of behavior from a reputed brand. A Physical Assault is never acceptable!

--Akash

The Customer was not getting physical in the room, he was attacked. Yes he may be an irritating guy, but when he was not getting physical- these guys had no excuse to go and beat him inside.

Hope the dealer has fired these chaps who have no business to be in a proper job with such behavior.

Last edited:

Brand building is a long exercise where dealers do play a huge role in making or killing of a brand
[clap] Well said.I think JEEP has a very important role to play in building up their brand.
This kind of behaviour, however provocative the customer would have been, should not be tolerated, especially within the premises of the showroom.
Just wearing suit and coat will not do.
In fact, going slightly offtopic, I wonder, in our hot tropical climate, with temparutes soaring and minimal air conditioning facilities, what is the real need for wearing suit coat and tie.
Why cant companies provide a dress code that is suitable for our climate instead of aping the west, where the climate is very cold.Now I myself am not immune to this phenomenon having worn two different suits for my wedding and reception.[lol]

Nothing more is either expected from Jeep. Brand building is not something where you stand up and say "oh, my authorised dealer screwed you? Okay, go and screw them".

Brand building is a long exercise where dealers do play a huge role in making or killing of a brand, several such examples in history. So, simply saying that Jeep has nothing to few things to do with it all is not just redundant, but meaningless too to some extent. It is more of a service industry where you get a product bundled to a couple of services, and the dealer is nothing but an extension of the brand; it is the brand these days which defines the dealership experience by deciding the factors like dealership design, ambience and even the staff behavioral patterns and hence if a customer is facing such an experience, he/ she has all the rights to approach the brand.
Yes, agreed that brand building is a complex exercise where such incidents are to be taken cognizance of- but my point is on the other side, where prospective customers immediately react against the product company for something that's not caused by them. And usage of social media does provoke exaggerated responses.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

Bunny Punia shares the following piece of info on the incident:

The incident is said to have happened in New Delhi. As per details with us (not officially acknowledged by Jeep India yet), a Compass SUV developed issues due to a manufacturing defect. The owner, a ### worker, approached the showroom and was told the car will be repaired in 10-15 days. The vehicle was sent to Gurgaon but the issue couldn’t be rectified.

The car was sent back to Moti Nagar outlet. When the owner went there to have a check, he was surprised see that the car was parked idle and was not attended to. Naturally, he was furious. It is known that the owner vented his anger on the staff and also abused them. The staff in turn got violent and as seen in the video, attacked the owner.
Link

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Did some digging and found this ---> The incident is said to have happened in New Delhi. As per details, a Compass SUV developed issues due to a manufacturing defect. The owner, a political party worker, approached the showroom and was told the car will be repaired in 10-15 days. The vehicle was sent to Gurgaon but the issue couldn’t be rectified. The car was sent back to Moti Nagar outlet. When the owner went there to have a check, he was surprised (to) see that the car was parked idle and was not attended to. Naturally, he was furious. It is known that the owner vented his anger on the staff and also abused them. The staff in turn got violent and as seen in the video, attacked the owner.
We are still not sure who is at complete fault. That said, an owner is bound to get angry when he receives such a treatment for a Rs 18 – 20 lakh vehicle. Update – this incident happened a month back

Link for above is here.

Notes:
1. I removed the Political Party's name from above
2. The Video in Post # 1 here was uploaded on 29 Nov 2017 in YouTube.
3. The "manufacturing defect issue" is not yet officially acknowledged by Jeep India

PS: For one of the services, my car was sent in the morning to Blue Hyundai, Rajaji Nagar, B'lore. Till late afternoon, they didn't bother to touch my Car. I asked them to return the Car and NEVER sent it to them again. Point is, I have multiple choices for Hyundai A$$ in B'lore and can go to a better A$$, if I get irritated at one A$$. Time Jeep India has more Dealers and A$$ at each of the major Cities to avoid "Dear/Service Center Complacency".

Top Bottom