I'll keep it short as the story is still unfolding and dealer is trying to resolve the issue. Thus I'm refraining from naming dealer and divulging details. However I'll be happy to share details with mods over PM.
I purchased a Ford Figo Titanium Diesel (2015) at a huge discount. I purchased it from one of the largest Ford dealer in Delhi. I took delivery on 12/June/2016.
I paid amount related to car price, tax and insurance via cheque, loan and account transfer.
I opted for accessories worth Rs 28,000+. Surprisingly sales adviser insisted I pay it via cash. He refused to accept cheque or account transfer. He even reminded me to bring cash on the delivery date.
I budged and made an exception to my no cash payment policy. I paid Rs 27,000 in cash to sales adviser at the time of delivery. He gave me a set of computer printed receipts.
On 22/June/2016 I paid Rs 24457 via cheque for a Total Maintenance Plan (TMP) for 4yr/60,000 Km whichever is earlier.
During last two months I asked sales adviser several times to send me documents related to TMP. He cooked different stories on different days.
Finally I called up dealer to understand what is the issue. Then the scam unfolded.
- Sales adviser took the cash and didn't deposit it to dealer's account department.
- Surprisingly he managed to issue me all computer generated receipts.
- Sales adviser showed it to dealer that my payment towards accessories is due at the time of car delivery.
- As I was interested in TMP he took the payment and presented it to dealer as the balance payment towards accessories.
- Finally sales adviser ran away.
- Understand from dealer at least one or more customer may be affected at the same dealership by this scam.
Moral of the story - never pay cash even if that means a delay in taking delivery.