Have I Been Too Patient With Hyundai Servicing?

Thread Starter #1
As a person I am very patient. I may react superfecially, but within me I am always at peace and I just dont react. I always perfer to overlook the negatives around and keep myself motivated with positives around.

Given a brief look into my personality, let me bring the thread back to the hero, CAR. I bought my santro, as that was fun to drive in city, less cost and there was a hooplah around hyundai brand name. My family has remained away from Marutis always, and though tata's have been discussed a lot, only my relatives living in relatively rural parts bought them. Having seen my father drive a MORRIS, HM ambassador, FIAT , MATIZ, Hyundai was a different and good breeze.

My santro has been good till now, and the engine is super refined still. Press the acceleartor and the engine still responds as new even after 70000 kms on odometer and 8 years of ownership. There have been no manufacturing defects. With all my service records I had been in peace, and growing among FIAT and Ambassador servings, I expected the same services. When hyundai was a notch better I was happy.

But lately everyone around me has been searching for a new car, and over the years I have also become a kind of car maniac. Hence have been spending lot of time in internet reading about all cars and brands and cars and technology. Also have been to lot of showrooms for test drives and also in used car dealerships. this definitely has put a lot of opinion and fed facts in me. So reading other people cribbing about bad experiences in service centers, i think i have been treated equally badly if not worse. Let me share my experiences, which I remember over years.

The service centers used -
TRIDENT, Inner ring Road, bangalore
- once went in because a rat had entered my car. SA just couldnt hold his laugh. He didnt accept that a rat can enter car. I had seen the rat myself and when I showed a couple of feces of the rat to him, to which he accepted to check. Result misaligned dashboard, for which I had to pay another service visit the next day
- looking back into the bills, the bills seem to be floated and I had been charged for some serious nonsense stuff. But I was a novice back then so cant complain. I was fooled.
- had an accident where to save hitting a bike, my car went over a divider cement slab and my tire broke off. It was bad and right across their service center. even then they straightaway rejected to come and see the car. Instead called a roaming service car to come and have a look. Pinch on pocket 400 for that visit from the service vehicle. Service vehicle didnt give me a towing vehicle contact number also. Instead he just said, go visit our hosur branch service center. I had to arrange the tow truck on my own.

Service center - TRIDENT HYUNDAI HOSUR road,
- they didnt start working on my car for a week, claiming my car is in a pipeline. But made me rush to service center for 5/6 times in all for all nonsense reasons
- charged me all may be nonsense stuff as I didnt understand most of the underbody stuff that needed replacement. they synced up with the insurance guys and i had hope that insurance guy will take care of the stuff. Insurance claim process was indeed smooth.
- they charged me for a new tire and a rim. I had asked them to put that that as spare. After 4-5 months of the incident I had a puncture and when I took the new tire out from back, I noticed that the rim was old. And I had paid for a new rim. my mistake I didnt check that while taking my car back. When I called them up, they said that they cannot do anything now as it was an old incident and I do not have proof
- result, i took an oath not to visit TRIDENT ever again

Service center - ADVAITH outer ring road, Bangalore
- I moved to this service center
- somehow my service visits bill have increased more than TRIDENT
- SA has pushed me for various part replacements claiming later on phone while my car sits in service center, that something has torn off, something is faulty etc. But they never show me the defective parts. max once i was shown a worn out brake pad.
- my dashboard squeaking took them 5 visits to fix with one piece of foam. Again the squeaking is back, but i know the resolution now
- the SA always calls me to come and pick the car, and I dont mind as it is very near to my office. But when I come, I always have to wait atleast half an hour for the delivery
- my car has got atleast 2 scratches but I do not have proof to prove it
- nominal issue but everytime, my cleaning cloth has managed to be removed from my car during servicing inspite of pointing that out explicitly
- my tool set has been replaced with someone elses. Mine had a mark on it, which is not there in the present set.
- my car audio system (factory setting) has had a small problem regarding volume. They say its due to dirty head, and that they dont fix that. What the hell!!
- thrice i have had to go back to them the very next day of servicing because something is amiss or improperly done

Also once fumes had come out of steering wheel and I had deserted my car assuming something bad was going to happen. On ispection they found wiring had gone kapoot and required complete wiring change. Also all but 3 fuses were blown off.

My average expense per service is 6000+. Which I know is high but dont know how it turns up so high. Now I have to make a list and refer back and track. I have been late and trusted them. But now I think I need to take things seriously.

good experiences
- informative SAs
- courteous SAs
- car is returned atleast visible well mantained and polished
- car feels smooth after servicing
- the return car the same very day
- small tweeks done for free and without questions asked

My ratings - 3/5.
next time whether i will buy a hyundai - Need a serious hard look and weigh my options.

My father has a i20 and my cousin an i-10. Father is happy with service as the dealer is my dad's friend. My cousin also shares somewhat similar experience as mine.

Last edited:
Re: Have I been too patient with Hyundai servicing

My father has a i20 and my cousin an i-10. Father is happy with service as the dealer is my dad's friend. My cousin also shares somewhat similar experience as mine.
In India we need a juggad for everything... [frustration]

After similar experience with Maruti, I bought Tata as second car. I didn't buy Hyundai since I feel Hyundai is costly and not VFM. Now, I came to know about similar horrible services by Hyundai as well.

This means that in India, it's about sell and forget by OEMs. BTW, you seem to think these as problems but most of us don't since we love to get trampled, e.g., 200 yrs by British, then by polictical leaders and in every phases of life by some crooked people. [surprise]

This was one of the reason I didn't buy a hyundai. But I still felt I should not regret my decision of not even test driving the car before we bought one. Thankfully I felt it was underpowered (i10 and i20).

It is not only with Hyundai, most of the service stations try to make customer fool with their tricks. Only thing we can do is be careful and if possible let them do servicing in front of us.

It is not only with Hyundai, most of the service stations try to make customer fool with their tricks. Only thing we can do is be careful and if possible let them do servicing in front of us.
Agree. I have experienced the same fooling around by both Honda and Ford ASS in Hyderabad. They don't bother to fix issues that are reported, but keep wasting time asking for Teflon coating and body overhaul (replacement of parts that are fine).

Unfortunately, not everyone has the time to go and sit with the technicians. Honda service center in Hyderabad (Sundaram Honda) has already wasted 3 weekends of mine because they don't fix issues in one go. Each time I have to inform them after delivery road test that problem is still present, and they say "Please come next week sir!" or "Its common. If you keep using the car, the problem will disappear!"

The service centers used -
TRIDENT, Inner ring Road, bangalore
- once went in because a rat had entered my car. SA just couldnt hold his laugh. He didnt accept that a rat can enter car. I had seen the rat myself and when I showed a couple of feces of the rat to him, to which he accepted to check. Result misaligned dashboard, for which I had to pay another service visit the next day
- looking back into the bills, the bills seem to be floated and I had been charged for some serious nonsense stuff. But I was a novice back then so cant complain. I was fooled.
- had an accident where to save hitting a bike, my car went over a divider cement slab and my tire broke off. It was bad and right across their service center. even then they straightaway rejected to come and see the car. Instead called a roaming service car to come and have a look. Pinch on pocket 400 for that visit from the service vehicle. Service vehicle didnt give me a towing vehicle contact number also. Instead he just said, go visit our hosur branch service center. I had to arrange the tow truck on my own.

Service center - TRIDENT HYUNDAI HOSUR road,
- they didnt start working on my car for a week, claiming my car is in a pipeline. But made me rush to service center for 5/6 times in all for all nonsense reasons
- charged me all may be nonsense stuff as I didnt understand most of the underbody stuff that needed replacement. they synced up with the insurance guys and i had hope that insurance guy will take care of the stuff. Insurance claim process was indeed smooth.
- they charged me for a new tire and a rim. I had asked them to put that that as spare. After 4-5 months of the incident I had a puncture and when I took the new tire out from back, I noticed that the rim was old. And I had paid for a new rim. my mistake I didnt check that while taking my car back. When I called them up, they said that they cannot do anything now as it was an old incident and I do not have proof
- result, i took an oath not to visit TRIDENT ever again

Service center - ADVAITH outer ring road, Bangalore
- I moved to this service center
- somehow my service visits bill have increased more than TRIDENT
- SA has pushed me for various part replacements claiming later on phone while my car sits in service center, that something has torn off, something is faulty etc. But they never show me the defective parts. max once i was shown a worn out brake pad.
- my dashboard squeaking took them 5 visits to fix with one piece of foam. Again the squeaking is back, but i know the resolution now
- the SA always calls me to come and pick the car, and I dont mind as it is very near to my office. But when I come, I always have to wait atleast half an hour for the delivery
- my car has got atleast 2 scratches but I do not have proof to prove it
- nominal issue but everytime, my cleaning cloth has managed to be removed from my car during servicing inspite of pointing that out explicitly
- my tool set has been replaced with someone elses. Mine had a mark on it, which is not there in the present set.
- my car audio system (factory setting) has had a small problem regarding volume. They say its due to dirty head, and that they dont fix that. What the hell!!
- thrice i have had to go back to them the very next day of servicing because something is amiss or improperly done

Also once fumes had come out of steering wheel and I had deserted my car assuming something bad was going to happen. On ispection they found wiring had gone kapoot and required complete wiring change. Also all but 3 fuses were blown off.

My average expense per service is 6000+. Which I know is high but dont know how it turns up so high. Now I have to make a list and refer back and track. I have been late and trusted them. But now I think I need to take things seriously.

good experiences
- informative SAs
- courteous SAs
- car is returned atleast visible well mantained and polished
- car feels smooth after servicing
- the return car the same very day
- small tweeks done for free and without questions asked

My ratings - 3/5.
next time whether i will buy a hyundai - Need a serious hard look and weigh my options.

Per service cost seems high considering its a Santro. I would suggest that you look at a Maruti for your next purchase. Maruti sells more than 3 times of Hyundai (1 lakh vs 30,000) cars for a reason! Maruti ASS is better, cars are reliable and relatively trouble free through out their life, and spares are cheaper.

Honda ASS and vehicle reliability is also really bad, as I am experiencing lately.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...vice-experience-sundaram-honda-hyderabad.html

Last edited:

Honda ASS and vehicle reliability is also really bad, as I am experiencing lately.
Whaaat [surprise]
Honda, Toyota and the suzuki's are the most reliable. Atleast I thought so.
As far as servicing issue is concerned, Thats accepatable upto an extent.
Have no idea why yo feel so. I have seen so many people who still use the baleno or the 2nd gen city with a very very high reading on the ODO and still going strong

Whaaat [surprise]
Honda, Toyota and the suzuki's are the most reliable. Atleast I thought so.
As far as servicing issue is concerned, Thats accepatable upto an extent.
Have no idea why yo feel so. I have seen so many people who still use the baleno or the 2nd gen city with a very very high reading on the ODO and still going strong
City has been a reliable vehicle because of its good build quality and relatively trouble free engine and transmission. If you buy a cheaply built car like Amaze/Brio from Honda, you'll experience the bad ASS of Honda!

You can see the thread on Amaze for reference.

@ icecool

The issues your going through is not that bad, the car service industry treats its customers like they are doing charity, i have seen & heard worst.
I have seen my friends Audi after he paid 40,000 odd for service with shabby interior clean up.
Considering what we pay for our cars & service,i feel we are better off than some.

City has been a reliable vehicle because of its good build quality and relatively trouble free engine and transmission. If you buy a cheaply built car like Amaze/Brio from Honda, you'll experience the bad ASS of Honda!

You can see the thread on Amaze for reference.
We own a brio and didn't have any serious issue as such. They do call up during the service asking if I would like the teflon coat, underbody blah blah blah. I give a strong "NO". Thats it. My baby comes out all well and good with all the issues addressed. (#Touchwood)
The dealers take the customer for granted. They are the one's who spoil the companies reputation. Not just the Honda's but all of them.

I think there is a psychology amongst the SA's and CCE's in ASS regarding cars older than 5 years.
They want to find problem in the vehicle as much as they can and in the end they give us back saying "Sir purana heina problems tho rahega" (Means unsolved problems).
We get frustrated with this and end up selling the car and go for new one(!).
From all the posts above I come to know that it is prevalent everywhere.
But the sad part is new cars also being treated like this.
My Ritz was having a squeaking noise from left front side from August 2013.I visited the MASS at least 8 times.[anger] In the end they changed Stabilizer rod and it was over.(Jan 2014).Now the problem is they have not done the wheel alignment correctly and the front side is pulling to one side [frustration].
I know this guy (SA) for the last 6 years .He is a nice guy ,but the problem lies with the system in MASS of making money. I told him now I am now not going to suffer anymore.
My peace of mind need not suffer because of somebody's foolishness.
Sorry to hijack your views but what I am feeling is you also must keep your foot down and ask questions about the bill.This will make things change.

Last edited:

Top Bottom