Help! Volkswagen Blaming Us For Our Car Breakdown

Thread Starter #1
We are having a major issue with our VolksWagen Vento Automatic car. Would any of you be able to help us connect with someone who could solve our problem?

Purchased: April 2013

Delivered: May 2013

Gear Box Failure: 12th July 2013 (2 Months from Delivery of Car)

Delivery Location: Mumbai, India

Current Status: Car is still in VW Workshop (Shaman Cars, Lalbaug, Mumbai) (Been exactly two weeks now)

On June 12th at 11:10 am while I was driving at worli the car suddenly lost power and stalled in the middle of the road. I tried to put it in D and R both but it refused to move. We tried to put off the engine and restart but the car would not move.

We called VW helpline and spoke to Ms Sonam at around 11:15 and she took down our exact location and said help will come in about half an hour. We kept calling her every half hour and she gave us the contact of the towing person who also kept telling us that the towing van would reach us in half an hour. This went on until 6:20 pm and finally the car was taken to the work shop of Shaman Cars. We have a record of all the calls made during the entire day and can give it to you for your reference.

We called Shaman Cars on 12th July and they said they will inspect the car and let us know what the problem is and how long it will take to rectify.

On 15th July Mr. Manoj from Shaman Cars said they were still trying to figure out the problem. We then personally visited Shaman cars and found our car parked with the front fender hitting a pillar at their work shop. We took a picture:

When we asked Mr. Manoj why my car was parked like this he said the bumper has a cushioning effect and no harm would come to my car. I did not like my car being treated like this but kept quiet. Mr. Manoj then asked us to wait in the waiting room for some time while he put our car on a lift. He then asked us to come to our car and showed us a small scratch under the car and said this is the gear box and it has taken a hit and therefore the gear box seems to have packed up. He said he will still check and let us know. I told him this was not possible and the scratch which he was showing us looked dubious. The car was travelling on a good road at worli and nothing had hit the car from under.

After waiting for two more days we again called Mr. Manoj and he said they were not able to find the fault. We have been calling every day and are not able to believe that VW is not able to find a fault with the car for more than 10 days. During these days when ever I spoke to Mr. Manoj told me that he has changed the cover of the gear box and is still able to understand the problem. He agreed that the hit has nothing with the problem in the gear box.

On 23rd July Mr. Manoj called and said we need to put a new gear box which is not under Guarantee and we shall have to take a claim from the insurance company. I dont understand Why would the insurance company pass a claim for a problem that has nothing to do with the scratch that Shaman cars is talking about. I will also loose my No Claim Bonus on my policy.

On 23 July Mr. Manoj and Mr Ameet both spoke to me and said that I should visit them on 24th to resolve this problem. On 24th morning Mr. Manoj sent me an sms saying that there was flooding around the garage and we should meet on the 25th. Yesterday when I again called Mr. Manoj he said he will call and let me know when I should go to them. I am not sure what is it that they want to discuss with me. I leave it to your judgment what they want to discuss with me. I am still waiting for their call.

I have a printing press and we have German machines which are built like tanks and made to last for decades. I cant believe VW makes such delicate cars that a small scratch can pack up the gear box.

We would ideally prefer a total refund / New car (replacement with new car) as we have lost total confidennce in this car ... who knows what problem will we face even if this issue does get resolved after so many failed conversations with WorkShop and attempts to get in touch with VW Company

Does anyone know anyone who can help us with the above matter? Would greatly appreciate the same.

You can reach me at:

Email:

************************************************************************************************************************

UPDATE JULY 31, 2013 10.30AM

We have received a final reply from the VW team (Shaman Cars, Lalbaug) where they have clearly stated that now they will not do anything and we have to speak to the insurance company.

They have clearly washed their hands off this situation and we have to do something about this as this is cheating. Scratch cannot be "external impact/damage".

EMAIL FROM SHAMAN CARS, LALBAUG (OUR Car has been at their workshop for more than 2 weeks now):

Date: 30 July 2013 10:28:44 AM IST

To:
Cc: Thomas
Subject: Fwd: MH 01 BG 4101

Dear Mr. Rawat,

Greetings from Volkswagen Downtown Mumbai!

This is in reference to your vehicle MH01BG4101

As informed to your earlier, that, due to external impact the gear box has been
damaged and hence the vehicle was towed and brought to our workshop.

We once again confirm that the same cannot be covered under warranty.

The repair work can be carried under insurance.

Please find attached the pictures of damaged gear box.

Request you to kindly provide us an approval to carry out further repairs in your car
through insurance claim.

Assuring you of our best services.

Warm Regards,

Reshma H. Chavan
Asst. Manager - Customer Relations
Volkswagen Downtown Mumbai
Shaman Cars Pvt. Ltd.
Bombay Gas Lane, Lalbaug,
Mumbai 400012
Phone: +91 9167217758

Last edited by a moderator:
@puneet_raw: I am surprised that how come you are still sanguine at the dealership level even after the passage of a month and a half without your grievance being addressed to your satisfaction?

Please immediately lodge a strongly worded written complaint against Shaman Cars with VW customer care. Attach all mails, photographs, and facts with it. You can get them at customer.care@volkswagen.co.in. Copy the mail to arvind.saxena@volkswagen.co.in and to gerry.dorizas@volkswagen.co.in.

All the best and keep this thread updated.

Can you post the image which is claimed by VW A.S.S to show the external damage to the gearbox ?

Also try complaining on the Volkswagen India facebook page. Companies are usually quick to respond to complaints on social media as they know that news spreads in microblogging sites very fast.

While evaluating Vento TDi for purchase, I had diligently looked at twitter/FB and several such complaints abound about VW/Skoda. That's the primary reason, I desisted from purchasing a car from them.

Top Bottom