Platino Classic - Cochin (BMW) Cheating Customers

Thread Starter #1
Hey,
first of all, I don't own a BMW but I came across this in a malayalam news channel yesterday (MediaOne). The platino classic BMW showroom located at cochin is cheating customers by selling 2011 models claiming to be 2012.

If was found out by Venketeshwara Prabhu, who bought a BMW car (model not specified) in June 2012. The car gave him problems 2 times in 6 months after buying. So, Venketeshwara Prabhu did a search on BMW's website & he found out that its a 2011 model car which has been sold to him. All other details, including the RC book of the car claimed it to be a 2012 model.
At the same time, the temporary registration which was registered at Tripunithara RTO Office had 2011 as its model year. And in original registration registered at Mattanchery RTO Office, its shown as 2012 model.
The company has said to have sold around 50 cars this way & is assumed to have made profit of lakhs.
Platino Classic also has a showroom set up in Calicut.

Note: The above passage has been translated by me :tongue:. Sorry for the incorrect way or any inconvenience! [roll]

Link - ആഡംബര കാരàµâ€ വിലàµâ€à´ªà´¨à´¯à´¿à´²àµâ€ കോടികളàµà´Ÿàµ† തടàµà´Ÿ¿à´ªàµà´ªàµ | MediaOne Television

Last edited:
How the hell did he find out that its a 2011 model by going to bmw's website? Did he buy the old 3 thinking that its still in production?

Thread Starter #3
How the hell did he find out that its a 2011 model by going to bmw's website? Did he buy the old 3 thinking that its still in production?
Even I had the doubt. I simply copied it from the webpage from malayalam!
Looks like he decoded the VIN with the help of BMW or so. [confused]

This is strange. There are so many ways to identify which year the car was manufactured. I can imagine one or 2 people not checking it but 50 people not catching? This is really strange. Seems exaggerated news to me.

This is a common tactic used by almost all dealers and so the buyers really have to be very careful when buying a car. PDI is a MUST!

Thread Starter #5
This is strange. There are so many ways to identify which year the car was manufactured. I can imagine one or 2 people not checking it but 50 people not catching? This is really strange. Seems exaggerated news to me.

This is a common tactic used by almost all dealers and so the buyers really have to be very careful when buying a car. PDI is a MUST!
Almost all dealers use this tactic. I agree on this.
But BMW being a premium brand. No one would have thought they would cheat!

Almost all dealers use this tactic. I agree on this.
But BMW being a premium brand. No one would have thought they would cheat!
BMW is and will be a premium brand in India. The problem is with the dealerships. Cheating of customers by dealerships are not actually BMW's fault. If such a thing happens this should be brought to BMW India's notice.

Regards,
Sankar

Generally dealers inform that they have earlier years cars in stock which they give at a very good discount. Also the month & year of manufacture is mentioned in the registration card. The buyer would have bought the car at a very good dicsount rate and may now be trying to sensationalise this. This information of earlier year model is given verbally by dealers and customers are aware of this fact.

Most surprising thing is how did RTO mention in Smart Card that YOM is 2012. In Form 22 it should be clearly mentioned it was 2011 model.

RTI should be filed against Transport Commissioner in this case.

Thread Starter #9
Most surprising thing is how did RTO mention in Smart Card that YOM is 2012. In Form 22 it should be clearly mentioned it was 2011 model.

RTI should be filed against Transport Commissioner in this case.
its sure that, in this play, the RTO is also involved. [anger]

Top Bottom