Maruti Service Center Stole My Spare Wheel!

Thread Starter #1
This happened to me in Bangalore and am rather very frustrated. My Maruti 800 is 4 years old and I never had to change stepney. 2 Months back while cleaning the car I am sure that I saw it and it was in factory condition.Couple of days back, an iron nail stuck the back wheel while driving on country side road and I had to use stepney and to my horror i noticed it was a used tire !![cry] I had to leave my car to service a month back and somehow during that time, they have taken away my new tire and placed a trashed one inside. I am sure if I go to them with this they are going to rebuff for sure coz I dont have concrete proof.[anger]

Many of us never check stepney (at least me) once we take delivery of our cars after serivce. It seems like I learned it the hard way. With 100s of cars being serviced everyday, this could be a tip of an iceberg even if they do this to 10 % of cars.

In US the stepney wheel diameter is purposefully kept lesser than other wheels, so that you are forced to go to a service station to fix regular wheels and put back on the car. I am not sure why this is not done in India.

Re: Maruti Service Center Stolen Spare Wheel!

Since its been a month already i guess you cannot create a fanfare now, however you can be careful the next time around

Re: Maruti Service Center Stolen My Spare Wheel!

I have heard this before. another guy complaining that his spare wheel is missing, fortunately he was checking the car before taking delivery.
he threw a tantrum and finally the showroom manager came and he went with the SA in to the inner room, both came out a little while later and went to the service centre and later emerged with the missing wheel!
to calm the customer down they offered him a free perfume too!

..Couple of days back, an iron nail stuck the back wheel while driving on country side road and I had to use stepney and to my horror i noticed it was a used tire !![cry] I had to leave my car to service a month back and somehow during that time, they have taken away my new tire and placed a trashed one inside. I am sure if I go to them with this they are going to rebuff for sure coz I dont have concrete proof.
Is the stepney tyre usable or not usable anymore?
If you are confident that those guys have stolen it, you should go there and make a complaint. No harm in trying, may be there was some misunderstanding and they had put other car's stepney in your car.

In US the stepney wheel diameter is purposefully kept lesser than other wheels, so that you are forced to go to a service station to fix regular wheels and put back on the car. I am not sure why this is not done in India.
This is done in India too. VW, Skoda cars have smaller spare wheel compared to other four wheels. But here no one has ever seen this in positive light like you are saying. We regard it as a cost cutting measure nothing else.

This is a very common practice. At least they gave a spare wheel may be used one. In my case, they took the spanner and after 3 weeks I got a puncture. Now when I went to change the tyre, no spanner. Just think how I would I had managed. Somehow got help from others and able to replace the tyre.
I know,if I go to them ,it is of no use because it is my mistake, I did not check while taking the car delivery and same car was M-800.
Not sure whether maruti service people have such tendency. Even if you forget your car wash cloth, that also will not be there.

Now I am owning FIGO, till now not faced such cheap activities. May in future it could happen.

Rule is always check the entire car before taking the delivery of the car. Check inside out, Cleanness etc.

OMG!! That is a sad experience you have had. [surprise]
Never knew they could do that. Next thing I am going to do now is, check my stepney.

That's bad, Even I had lost my K&N filter at maruti service station. They had replaced it while servicing. Cant do anything about it though.

they have taken away my new tire and placed a trashed one inside.
I have heard this before. another guy complaining that his spare wheel is missing, fortunately he was checking the car before taking delivery.
In my case, they took the spanner and after 3 weeks I got a puncture.
Even I had lost my K&N filter at maruti service station. They had replaced it while servicing.
And people say Maruti has the best A.S.S. It's actually A.S.L. (After Sales Looting).

Friends it is sad to hear such things from Maruti !!, but it is our responsibility to check everything before the delivery as you find these kind of thieves everywhere and end of the day we are at a loss if we are not cautious. For this reason I take my car my self to the service center every time and stand there till the SA make the job card and check the job card that what all he as tick and after satisfactory I leave from there. While delivery too, I ensure to go there and check everything my self and have a Test drive myself and I will leave after I feel everything is satisfactory. It is just a small effort but really worth !!

I also remove the head unit from ICE compulsory as I have seen most of the times these guys change all the settings and play with it like anything. Also remove all the papers and other belongings from dash board at home itself and remove the spanner too !!

Last edited:
Friends it is sad to hear such things from Maruti !!, but it is our responsibility to check everything before the delivery as you find these kind of thieves everywhere ..
I am sure that in the thread starter's case, the SA must have entered 'spare wheel- check' in the job card. When he got the car back he had the spare wheel (but unfortunately replaced). Even if the thread starter had seen the spare wheel while exiting the workshop, how could he have proved that it was not his spare wheel? The job card says about the presence of spare wheel, not the condition!!

Everything can't be written on piece of paper, some have to be taken granted under ethics!!

i too have learnt a lesson from this thread.
yesterday when i gave my scooter for service i removed all the knick knacks(some small bags, wet tissue etc) and the toolkit, first aid all the other items.
and when i took delivery in the evening, i checked all the lights and everything to see if ok.

This happened to me in Bangalore and am rather very frustrated. My Maruti 800 is 4 years old and I never had to change stepney. 2 Months back while cleaning the car I am sure that I saw it and it was in factory condition.Couple of days back, an iron nail stuck the back wheel while driving on country side road and I had to use stepney and to my horror i noticed it was a used tire !![cry] I had to leave my car to service a month back and somehow during that time, they have taken away my new tire and placed a trashed one inside. I am sure if I go to them with this they are going to rebuff for sure coz I dont have concrete proof.[anger]

Many of us never check stepney (at least me) once we take delivery of our cars after serivce. It seems like I learned it the hard way. With 100s of cars being serviced everyday, this could be a tip of an iceberg even if they do this to 10 % of cars.

You should try contacting maruti on their CRM number 1800 1800 180 or email them at contact@maruti.co.in and bring this to their notice. Maruti is a big brand name and will definitely look into this!

Top Bottom