Need Suggestion on New Car

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,
I own a 2007 Maruti WagonR(LxI) model that has run only 18000 KM and still in very good shape and gives mileage around 11.However I have shifted to a new place from where my office will be a bit far. So I am looking for a new diesel car. I have narrowed down my choices to Maruti Ritz Vdi,Maruti Dzire Ldi and Chevrolet Beat.I am planning for a car that will be used extensively for next 7/8 years.

My point of cosideratins are as below -

Passenger Height: 5 ft 8 inch
Daily travelling distance in total : 50 KM (26 days/month)
Traffic : moderate City Traffic
AC : 50% time ON

Please suggest based on above criteria.

Also please let me know the average city traffic mileage for Ritz and Dzire for Diesel variants.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Avik

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
i don't think you need a diesel vehicle. not for that commute.

and can i know how much extra you have to travel from your new place ? because 18000 in 5 years is a really low commute. this is 4000 kilometers per year. and even if this extends to 8000 kilometers per year , you don't need a diesel. believe me.

don't just think of the daily mileage cost , think long term. diesel will cost you 50-70k more than a petrol. i'm assuming you'll take a loan ,

*so more interest on that extra loan money.

* diesel maintenance is higher than petrol. normal service and even parts are costlier.

* and diesel is also a fuel. it will get expensive in coming years.

He says 50 km/day for 26 days/month, i.e. 1300 km/month from the new place.

This definitely calls for a diesel as of now.

Also the maintenance costs are not that much different nowadays.

If he is in the car alone or with another adult only in routine, then the Beat is the best option. But more space and I would say the Swift (if he is ready to wait), more VFM would be Ritz.

Last edited:
Yes i agree with allhyundaicars suggestion. apart from that If you are love the road trips even once in a quater then diesel is for you. So think overall. Take the TD of i20 CRDI as well it starts from 6L & 80 K on road.

ORR

You can simply install CNG (if CNG is available at Kolkata) kit from Maruti or after market.... after a year then plan a new diesel. Save your money of petrol to purchase a diesel mill....

Regards,
Adi

Last edited:
Yes diesel makes more sense as you would be travellig almost 1300 kms a month just to your office and 1-2 weekend trips or any road trip planned will definitely increase that number.

Also driving in traffic means more fuel consumption, so yes diesel is the way to go and i would suggest you to go with the Maruti Dzire Ldi as it will also have some extra space for luggage (if required at any point of time).

Thread Starter #6
Hi,
Thank you all for your valuable suggestion. I considered Chevrolet Beat as it has the best mileage. But roads in greater Kolkata are really not in very good shape.Also considering the below 1000 CC engine of Cevrolet Beat, seems it is not a very good choice. I have few friends who own Beat but the engine really makes a lot of noise when it's a bit old. Since my usage will be heavy so I really doubt if Beat will be able to survive that long.

CNG can be a good choice as mentioned by allhyundaicars but it would be really helpful if I get some more info on it. Like the price of the CNG kit and how long mileage will it provide.

Regards,
Avik

CNG will cost you anything between 40 to 60K depending on your choice..company fitted, sequencial kits. I am driving 2008 model Wagon R vxi on CNG from last 3 years. The FE i get is between 19 to 21 kms/ per kilo cng which is very good. The cost of cng in delhi is rs 38.50 per kilo.

The cons of driving the CNG fitted car is:
1. No boot space in hatchs, you can get half in sedans.
2. Pain of filling the gas after every 3 days... long queues here in delhi.
3. Highway constraint...you will not get CNG everywhere and in that case you will have to drive in petrol.
4. The pick up / power of the car decreases over a period of time.

I would say go for diesel car instead of going for cng car. cng price can increase upto 6 times in one year, but it cannot be done with diesel. Moreover you will get complete boot space plus higher engine power.

Top Bottom