Buying New Swift / Alto K10. Confused About the Mileage

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,

I am new in this forum and I am planning to buy my first car. I took a test drive of Alto K10 and Swift, I am completely in love with the performance and driving pleasure of Swift. But, I heard that petrol mileage is only 12-14 in city ride. I will drive mostly in chandigarh city which is less compact in terms of traffic and I use very low AC, mostly on 1st level only.

Officials are claiming 17kmpl but no one else is saying 17kmpl. I know that mileage will depend on driving style but there must be an average figure which all the users are getting out of swift petrol. [roll]

My decision will depend on mileage only because I can stretch my budget from k10 to swift but only if it will give me a mileage of 15-16. Please help [confused]

Last edited:
re: Buying New Swift/alto k10. Confused about the Mileage

Within city limits on an average mileage will be around 12-15 KM only. AC usage does not have a major difference in mileage.

re: Buying New Swift/alto k10. Confused about the Mileage

Hi Rahul,

Good that you desire to get a Power packed machine. Swift is a cult status now so no turning back on your choice. As far the mileage is concerned, the driving style makes a huge difference. For a sedate drive Swift can earn a FE of 15 kmpl in city & 18kmpl on highways. Personaly I get a FE of 14-15kmpl in city & 17-18kmpl on highways this includes AC. I guess without it would get better. Do not rev engine too much & do not pedal too much, try to be sedate but am sure after you get in to Swift it tough to avoid the temptation. One suggestion if you use it regularly be a sedate driver from day 1 but if its used ocassionally do not worry about the FE figures just enjoy the drive & your machine. Also to add for a couple of service you might feel its not offering a good mileage DO NOT panic please wait the for couple of service you ll get the answer for your concern.

Drive Safe
Santosh

Re: Buying New Swift/alto k10. Confused about the Mileage

Hi Rahul,

Good that you desire to get a Power packed machine. Swift is a cult status now so no turning back on your choice. As far the mileage is concerned, the driving style makes a huge difference. For a sedate drive Swift can earn a FE of 15 kmpl in city & 18kmpl on highways. Personaly I get a FE of 14-15kmpl in city & 17-18kmpl on highways this includes AC. I guess without it would get better. Do not rev engine too much & do not pedal too much, try to be sedate but am sure after you get in to Swift it tough to avoid the temptation. One suggestion if you use it regularly be a sedate driver from day 1 but if its used ocassionally do not worry about the FE figures just enjoy the drive & your machine. Also to add for a couple of service you might feel its not offering a good mileage DO NOT panic please wait the for couple of service you ll get the answer for your concern.

Drive Safe
Santosh
14-15 kmpl in city. [surprise]. what was the driving conditions when yu achieved these figures? heavy traffic ? bad roads?

I have a petrol Swift (1.3 petrol 2005 model). If you drive in the city the mileage would be around 10-15kmpl depending on the density of traffic. We use to get around 12kmpl in dense traffic. If you daily run is mainly on the highways Swift petrol would get you around 14-20kmpl depending on the traffic density.
I would say don't compare a K10 with a Swift. I would suggest you to look at Honda Jazz base if you want a car in the class of Swift which would get you all features including safety features like ABS and Airbags.

I would suggest you to look at Honda Jazz base if you want a car in the class of Swift which would get you all features including safety features like ABS and Airbags.
Honda Jazz is a class apart when compared to Swift. Jazz can be compared to the size of entry level sedan. It magic seats and small outside big inside concepts are really comparable to a basic sedan.

I really wonder why this did not become a market changer when it was launched. Now due to some 1.5L discount the sales of Jazz is slowly picking up.

Thread Starter #7

Hi Rahul,

Drive Safe
Santosh
Thanks for such a detailed reply. I will not be using it more than 500-600 kms a month but still I hope for a good mileage because it will be effecting my monthly budget [roll]

And, I hope that I will enjoy every ride the way you are enjoying it.

Thread Starter #8

I have a petrol Swift (1.3 petrol 2005 model). If you drive in the city the mileage would be around 10-15kmpl depending on the density of traffic. We use to get around 12kmpl in dense traffic. If you daily run is mainly on the highways Swift petrol would get you around 14-20kmpl depending on the traffic density.
I would say don't compare a K10 with a Swift. I would suggest you to look at Honda Jazz base if you want a car in the class of Swift which would get you all features including safety features like ABS and Airbags.
I will try to take out 14-15kmpl because I made my mind accordingly and if I will get these figures then I will relieved with my purchase.

But, Honda Jazz can not be considered because it will cost 1.5 lakh more than swift's base model. If would have opted for Swift Diesel in that budget rather than Honda Jazz.

Thread Starter #9

Honda Jazz is a class apart when compared to Swift. Jazz can be compared to the size of entry level sedan. It magic seats and small outside big inside concepts are really comparable to a basic sedan.

I really wonder why this did not become a market changer when it was launched. Now due to some 1.5L discount the sales of Jazz is slowly picking up.
Are you sure that they are giving discount of 1.5 Lakh?? [surprise] Because in my reply above I have mentioned that I am not considering it because it is 1.5L costly than swift. Do you have any link where I can check this discount?

Are you sure that they are giving discount of 1.5 Lakh?? [surprise] Because in my reply above I have mentioned that I am not considering it because it is 1.5L costly than swift. Do you have any link where I can check this discount?
No when jaaz was first launched it was expensive since then when they launched the refreshed model they reduced the price that's what he is talking about .
Jaaz base model yes is expensive then swift but it's a great car more premiuim then swift too .
Alto can be compared with eon , spark , santro .
Swift can be compared with beat , figo , vista ,i10 .
Both the alto and swift in the segment they are in will give you better mileage then their respective competetiors .

Last edited:

rahul if you want 20+ go for Alto

there is a price difference between the two so you will benefit from that

but if you want to follow the crowd go for swift
bigger engine bigger consumption

you won't get the same you get from Alto

14-15 kmpl in city. [surprise]. what was the driving conditions when yu achieved these figures? heavy traffic ? bad roads?
Hi Dharmesh,

I have achieved these figures in Bangalore traffic. Yeah its dense traffic to be precise but roads not that bad. I initially had issues with mileage as I was new to driving & used to change gears, clutch riding & revv the engine. With help of experts on TAI & my friends I learnt the way of driving sedate & to my surprise now I get a decent mileage of 13-15kmpl on my Snowhite (My Swift VXI) in city & achieved 17kmpl on a very recent highway trip with Max AC & high speeds of 120-140kmpl.

Drive Safe
Santosh

Suggest you TD the Brio before deciding on the Swift. Will come in the same price bracket and mileage is better than Swift.

Also in last week's AutoCar TV show, Brio's time and handling was better than Swift. Hence you will not miss the power you are looking for.

Suggest you TD the Brio before deciding on the Swift. Will come in the same price bracket and mileage is better than Swift.

Also in last week's AutoCar TV show, Brio's time and handling was better than Swift. Hence you will not miss the power you are looking for.
I think chayan is right,u must consider BRIO as honda is now offering good discount and BRIO looks cool in red and blue.

No when jaaz was first launched it was expensive since then when they launched the refreshed model they reduced the price that's what he is talking about .
Jaaz base model yes is expensive then swift but it's a great car more premiuim then swift too .
Yes, correct Raja. I was referring to this only (Guess it was late 2011/early 2012). Even for 'City' there were similar discounts offered.

Jazz is a wonderful car. Any given day it's way ahead than Swift. If you are not really concerned about resale value (like many do) then you can blindly go for Jazz.

@Rahul: Take a test drive and you will feel the difference. It's worth every penny for the additional 1.5L

Last edited:

Top Bottom