New Automatic Hatchback. Update: Brought Hyundai Santro GLS

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am looking into second hand or new automatic hatch .

Right now in new only two option
a-star and i10

have tested a-star good pickup till 40 after that it lost in its world

will test i10 but as i own 2 i10 in my home i am less toward i10

also i am thinking about santro AT any one have idea about it , how good it is .

Also wanted to know after how much KM AT require work and cost approx. possible

Re: New Automatic Hatchback or a Second Hand Car?

Welcome to the confused club of AT, My Sis in Law has been waiting for a good AT(within 6L) from past 6 months but she has only 2 options for that price which is a shame.

among these 2 i would suggest you to go for A* as it's mileage figures are far superior than i10.

350Z

Core Team

I am looking into second hand or new automatic hatch
Your options for an automatic car are limited in the small hatchback segment. Overall, i10 Automatic is a better choice but A-Star has its own set of advantages. It’s compact, affordable and a Maruti. Thus, translating into better after sales support and pocket friendly running costs. In the second hand market, Your options are still limited (but include i20) unless if you are also open for a bigger car with an automatic transmission.

Drive Safe,
350Z

i10 is a better choice when you look for automatic in this segment but you already have 2 i10 so go with A star or look for a used i20.

About Santro automatic i am not sure and don't have much knowledge about it.

Thread Starter #5

Welcome to the confused club of AT, My Sis in Law has been waiting for a good AT(within 6L) from past 6 months but she has only 2 options for that price which is a shame.

among these 2 i would suggest you to go for A* as it's mileage figures are far superior than i10.
mileage is not problem because i have CNG :P
Your options for an automatic car are limited in the small hatchback segment. Overall, i10 Automatic is a better choice but A-Star has its own set of advantages. It’s compact, affordable and a Maruti. Thus, translating into better after sales support and pocket friendly running costs. In the second hand market, Your options are still limited (but include i20) unless if you are also open for a bigger car with an automatic transmission.

Drive Safe,
350Z
i am not including i20 as it could be costly to maintain any idea . also any information on santro AT i am getting one 2007 for 2L but i can take it more lower :P
i10 is a better choice when you look for automatic in this segment but you already have 2 i10 so go with A star or look for a used i20.

About Santro automatic i am not sure and don't have much knowledge about it.
ya i don't want another i10 so right now i am thinking whether to go for a-star or santro . i think i20 AT is very lazy :S

I would strongly recommend you to stick with A*, as it's easy to maintain(being Maruti) and a brand new car will come with a warranty, moreover Hyundai is getting more and more expensive(service cost)

Thread Starter #7

After lot of running around and searching i am giveup on AT reason very few mechanic really know about AT that too just little knowledge and even Maruti Service centre mechanic have little or none knowledge so i can't buy a car which will give me nightmare if anything goes wrong

Thanks guys for you all feedback

Mod : please close this thread

Thread Starter #8
second hand or new Least maintenance hatch car with Good engine

HI guys,

I had plan of buying AT hatch before but lack support made me shift back to MT second hand or new .

I have budget of 4L (i can go little bit more if require)

I am looking for car which require least maintenance and have good engine don't want car who will make me feel like seating on bullcart when i turn on AC

Please remove i10 as i already have it .

This is car only for me alone so passenger seating in my car is very least

I can go for petro and diesel which ever is good .

Right now i am thinking about Beat diesel second hand i think new one shoot out of my budget .

Waiting for your feedback

Re: second hand or new Least maintenance hatch car with Good engine

Buddy then its the time for you to buy a true handling freak's car:-
Go for Maruti Suzuki A-Star,This car is coming with great discounts now a days and I am sure VXi will fit in your budget.
Just add 165 section rubber to A-Star and see what a fantastic car it is.

Thread Starter #10

What I heard is that astar engine has hardtime with ac ON like maruti 800 atleast I felt in AT TD as soon as ac off it would perform better

Buddy you heard it wrong,yes there is slight downturn in power delivery,but not hard time at least.
Also the M/T feels a lot lot more responsive and faster than the A/T.
Let a TD decide it.

Else my next recommendation will be a 'USED' SWIFT ZXi with the 1.3l engine.In other words any pre-2010 Swift.Its a fabulous car and easily eclipses the one with 1.2K engine.
You will get the car for about 2-3 lacs depending on the condition and after that you will have more than enough cash to add new tyres,alloys etc etc.Also you can add tighter springs for more driving pleasure.

If I'd have been at your place then I'd have left my home with 5 lacs in search for a good Octy VRs.

Last edited:

What I heard is that astar engine has hardtime with ac ON like maruti 800 atleast I felt in AT TD as soon as ac off it would perform better
How tall are you? A Star can get Claustophobic for the taller souls [lol]
If its a new car, Alto K10, Hyundai Eon would fit your budget. But over these 2, I would suggest the CHevorlet spark. This is one car thats as zippy as your I10.

If its a second hand car, the options would be much more and I would rather suggest you look at the cars on sale inspect them thoroughly and decide(as the condition of any of these would vary depending on the current owner). At 4 lakhs you could even get a old used SUVs [evil]

I would suggest the CHevorlet spark. This is one car thats as zippy as your I10.

At 4 lakhs you could even get a old used SUVs [evil]
SUV!! He is already having a new Safari and a new Gipsy.

He is looking for a car to drive when he is not on a Safari or bored of Gypsy and when don't want to take that BMW out.

Spark could be a right choice.

With a small foot print and good drive its real handy.

350Z

Core Team

Note: Threads Merged & Title Updated. Please continue further related discussion in this thread itself.

Drive Safe,
350Z

re: New Automatic Hatchback. Update: Brought Hyundai Santro GLS

I would have recommended the i10 but since you already have it, then the A-Star is the only other option. The i20 is a segment above, but is always a good choice if you want to puff out that much money. The Santro Ats have been discontinued.

Top Bottom