Replacing My Wagon-R With Luxurious Petrol Hatchback

Thread Starter #1
Hi

Not got any response to my earlier post so now posting new thread with more details.
I want to change my existing car so need suggestions as per below details.

Current Status: Having Wagon-R LXi, bought 5.5 years old, total running around 32,000 Kms.

Budget: 6 to 7 Lacs

Type: New Car, Hatchback, Petrol

Family Size: 2 Adults + 1 Kid

Top Priorities: Luxurious, Comfort, Stylish, Fuel Economy, Low Maintenance

Monthly Running: Around 600 – 700 Kms

Type of Fuel: Petrol

For What Purpose: Regular Use wife also drive

Type of Segment: Hatchback

Preferred Option: i-20 Sports and Honda Jazz

1) i-20 sports (quite impressed with i-20 igen sports model interiors and features like rear camera , adjustable steering , controls etc) ,

2) Honda Jazz -- Cos of Honda name

open to other options also however do not want to try Maruti this time.

Time Frame: Want to buy to use for next five to six years.

Regards

Sam

Last edited:
Go for jazz if you want to own the car for 5 or more years. Its the best practical hatchback. I wouldnt recommend the i 20. I suggest you should can look for a year old or so used jazz. Petrol car prices have come down in recent times. So you may manage to find a relatively new car for a lot less price than the new one.

Buddy your requirements scream JAZZ aloud. Have a TD of it and you'll be floored to see what a 1.2 ltr heart can do when tuned by Honda. Also, it has a very spacious cabin and a very comfortable rear bench. Next best bet would be Polo for it's amazing built but it scores low on mileage. i-20 is again a very stylish and spacious hatch but I find it a bit sluggish for city driving.

freakdude.

Why you are not going with Maruti this time? any specific reasons except a change? How was your Wagon r performance?

For the monthly running you mentioned petrol versions will be enough I think. some options below starts with Maruti, even if u r not interested too

1. Swift
2. Ritz
3. Jazz
4. Polo
5. I 20/ I 10
6. Etios Liva
7. Beat
8. Punto(not famous for petrol variant)
9. Sail(cheverolet going to launch)
10.U va(production going to stop within 2 months)

Last edited:
Jazz means 5-6 months waiting.
Sam buddy,if you are ready for it then the Jazz is the car to go for.

Else,its the i-20..

Actually you need a comfortable hatch,hence there is nothing else.BTW,the most comfortable-to-drive as well as fun packed hatch I have driven till date is VW Polo 1.6 but I think its FE which is 11-12 in city and 15-16 or upto 17 kpl on highways can put you off.If not,then just once go and try out the car called Polo 1.6 and you will automatically forget what is Jazz or i-20.
Since you are two adults+1 kid,this means two adults wills it comfortably on front seat and kid will sleep on rear.
Though my suggestion is different,but then let me tell you that the car is also completely different.
Eh,how I forgot.The most comfy hatch in the market:Skoda Fabia 1.6,it offers rear A/C vents too,but it may be discontinued soon hence I don't recommend it to that level.
And great is that with some offers running,the Polo 1.6 will perfectly fit in your budget.

Why I so much strongly recommend Polo 1.6?
  • It has power.
  • More power means more comfortable drive.
  • Less gearshifts and hence more comfort.
  • Fantastic performance in any place,weather city or highway.
  • You don't get the pathetic and painful low end of Honda.
  • The FE may be low,but still its better than i-20 at least.
  • Performance to rival even the Honda city and practicality of a Jazz,both together.
  • Build quality and interior quality,both are top notch.
  • It has good and comfortable seats,only rear legroom is slightly low,but I am sure you don't need to carry 5 six-footers in the car.
  • Ride and handling are top notch.
  • Bigger and more powerful engine means fantastic cruising ability.
  • And many more...

hai friend

please dont short list your self as honda jazz and hyundai i20

you may have more options as
wv polo
renault pulse
skoda fabia
and you may try for petrol sedan also its not so big as you think

anyway its your decision but take everthing in your consideration

[*]Bigger and more powerful engine means fantastic cruising ability.
[*]And many more...
[/LIST]
Vipul, I haven't test driven the Polo 1.6 but the 1.2 instead. I found the 1.2 to be NOISY to the core. Does the Polo 1.6 have the same character of that noisy 1.2 engine?

^^My dear 1.2 is a three cylinder engine and despite being a petrol is having a slight clatter and hece feels quite noisy.
BTW,have you driven the petrol only?Because diesel engien is noisy but petrol is not that much.
Polo 1.6 is in my circle(first in Meerut)[:D] and I must say that I am yet to drive any car more exciting than the Polo 1.6.

^^My dear 1.2 is a three cylinder engine and despite being a petrol is having a slight clatter and hece feels quite noisy.
BTW,have you driven the petrol only?Because diesel engien is noisy but petrol is not that much.
Polo 1.6 is in my circle(first in Meerut)[:D] and I must say that I am yet to drive any car more exciting than the Polo 1.6.
The one I drove was 1.2 petrol and I'm aware of its tri-potter engine which definitely doesn't make slight clatter but a lot more which is not just relative.

What I asked was, is the 1.6 Petrol as noisy as the 1.2 Petrol, fun factor left alone?

^^Eh,sorry if you felt anything bad.
Definitely the 1.6 mpi is not as silent as the 1.2 i-vtec.But still is far more acceptable than the 1.2.
BTW,the sound of any engine(only petrol,diesels sound like tractor under strain)at higher revs is music to my ears,hence I like the sound of this engine.Though I myself like the sound of i-vtec more,but in terms of driving comfort its Polo 1.6 over Jazz any day for me.
Have you sat in Vento petrol or say Fiesta petrol.The Polo 1.6 is as much noisy as these cars are.

Vipul, getting it all wrong. I asked for a comparo between Polo 1.2 Petrol and Polo 1.6 Petrol in terms of engine noise and not about Jazz.

Digressing from the topic, since Vipul just mentioned the Fiesta, Sam, why don't you try out the Blue Oval in petrol avatar, its a nice one and won't let you down.

^^Eh,actually its my mistake.Not answering you straight forward.
The answer is simple,the Polo 1.6 is comparatively less noisy than the 1.2.The simple reason is the engine rpm.The 1.6 does the same speed at a lower rpm and maybe even higher gear which further decreases the rpm difference between the two engines at same speed and hence 1.6 feels far less noisy.
And no doubt the even number of cylinders(4) also helps a lot here.

Well,if the guy is ready for Fiesta then no doubt,Fiesta Classic 1.6 is a very good bet.

Thread Starter #13
Why you are not going with Maruti this time? any specific reasons except a change? How was your Wagon r performance?

For the monthly running you mentioned petrol versions will be enough I think. some options below starts with Maruti, even if u r not interested too

1. Swift
2. Ritz
3. Jazz
4. Polo
5. I 20/ I 10
Thanks for ur reply :-)

There is no particular reason for not going with Maruti . just thought of some luxuruious car hence looking for others ..however as a first car my experience with Maruti is quite good .

Jazz means 5-6 months waiting.
Sam buddy,if you are ready for it then the Jazz is the car to go for.

Else,its the i-20..

..[*]Ride and handling are top notch.
[*]Bigger and more powerful engine means fantastic cruising ability.
[*]And many more...
[/LIST]

Thanks a lot for info about Polo ... can u help me with approx onroad cost of Honda Jazz , Polo & i-20 in Navi Mumbai .

Last edited by a moderator:
Well,buddy though i am not sure but,the prices in Mumbai must be about:-
  • Honda Jazz:6.5-7.5 lacs(Honda is not offering discount of even a single penny on this car).
  • Hyundai i-20 sportz:About 6.8 lacs(there are some discounts too,so it must be about 6.5 lacs).
  • VW Polo 1.6:It should be about 7-7.2 lacs and yes,there may be some discounts too as the car doesn't sell in good numbers.But remember,for the 40-50k you are paying you are getting a lot.

Hi Sam

Late to reply on the discussions.

See, Polo 1.6 is a really gem of a car, and offers far better engine than other options you have.

Contact VW dealers in your city and ask if they have 1.6 available with acceptable waiting time. I have heard that polo 1.6 is having a waiting of around 3 months.

If not polo 1.6, then you have other options like jazz, hyundia i20, polo 1.2

You have already driven polo 1.2 and if you didn't like it, then you should be open to other options.

Some 8 months back I was at a similar situation and I needed car as an upgrade form wagon-r, I chose polo 1.2. Its been 7-8 months and its been a great experience.

The noise in polo you are talking about is prominent when you pick up mercilessly from first gear and occurs a bit when you change gears at high speed and with wrong timing of changing gears. The sound insulation inside the cabin is too good to hear any noise from outside.

I have no problems with that noise. You won't believe that I deliberately press the accelerator at red lights sometimes to hear this sound. Believe me.

I would share more experience of polo if you really are keen on it.

From other options, I have not driven Jazz, but i20 I have. If you really enjoy driving a car, i20 doesn't leave an impression on you (my opinion) which is what happened to me when I had test drive of i20. And also, a friend of mine who has i20 cribs about FE it is giving (he said its giving 8 kmpl!). So take you time and TD as much you can.

You can also add punto to your list. I have no experience of this car but heard passionate stories about it.

Top Bottom