Looking To Buy a Petrol Hatchback (Rs.6.5 Lakh)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Dear Friends and Car experts,

This is my first post here.

I am planning to buy a Hatchback (within 6.5 L (MAX.): On Road). It is my NEED not a luxury.

I stay in Bangalore with my 11 month baby and wife. My need is :
1> On Emergency 2> Long drive during week ends. Use will be not much in city.

A> Should I but Diesel Car Or Petrol ? (Petrol price is getting too high day by day. )

Following are the important points for me.

a> Safety. Car should be well build and roughed.
b> Quality riding & driving comfort.
c> Good Mileage.
d> Low Maintain cost (Low TCO).
e> I am not looking for resale point.

Basis on these points I selected

1> Fiat Grande Punto Emotion 1.2 /1.4 (this cost almost 6 - 7.2 L in Bangalore, but without airbag etc...)
2> Ford Figo Titanium 1.2 or 1.4 (I found some complain about headlight and ground clearance with 5 full size people.) (this cost 5.5 to 6.7 L in Bangalore)

Questions:

1> Can you please let me know which car should I buy and why?

2> What about the feedback on Figo?

3> Can I Fit a CNG or LPG kit to a Figo petrol in future ?

4> In Chennai the same Figo cost less. Can I buy it in Chennai and use it in Bangalore without re-registration?

6> Should I wait for NEW FIGO 1.6 ? I may buy the car in July ,2011.

Best regards and Thanks in Advance.

(I am only interested either Punto or Figo.)

re: Figo 1.2 Duratec or Punto 1.2 Emotion/1.4 Emotion or Skoda Fabia 1.2MPI

A> Should I but Diesel Car Or Petrol ? (Petrol price is getting too high day by day. )

That depends on your monthly running. If the running is going to be more than 1000KMS a month i would say diesel is better.

c> Good Mileage.
Considering your monthly running is going to be high i would say the 90HP Punto fits your bill perfectly!

Figo is also a good car but i would say Punto is a step above Figo and since you have the budget i suggest you go ahead with Punto90HP.

Hi basis,

I would suggest you to go in for a Ford Figo Diesel(only if your running is in the range of 700-900kms).

For that budget you can get a top end variant of Figo or Punto (P).

I rate the drive of Figo better than Punto.

c> Good Mileage.
The real time FE figures have been reported higher by Punto owners, so Punto scores here.

Diesel cars have considerably high maintenance costs as compared to their petrol siblings. Boh Figo and Punto have similar spares and service costs.

Dear Friends and Car experts,

This is my first post here.

I am planning to buy a Hatchback (within 6.5 L (MAX.): On Road). It is my NEED not a luxury.

I stay in Bangalore with my 11 month baby and wife. My need is :
1> On Emergency 2> Long drive during week ends. Use will be not much in city.

c> Good Mileage.

Basis on these points I selected

1> Fiat Grande Punto Emotion 1.2 /1.4 (this cost almost 6 - 7.2 L in Bangalore, but without airbag etc...)
2> Ford Figo Titanium 1.2 or 1.4 (I found some complain about headlight and ground clearance with 5 full size people.) (this cost 5.5 to 6.7 L in Bangalore)

Questions:

1> Can you please let me know which car should I buy and why?

2> What about the feedback on Figo?

4> In Chennai the same Figo cost less. Can I buy it in Chennai and use it in Bangalore without re-registration?

Best regards and Thanks in Advance.

(I am only interested either Punto or Figo.)

I do live in bangalore where i have a 2.5 yrs old kid, am also using it for the same purpose long drives during off days and emergency needs

Am using figo Diesel Top end Titanium model bought it on Jan 28th and till date the ODO reads 1587 kms

Re the important points.

am happy with the titanium varient saftey futures just need to add the security touch sensing buzzer if you want that will cost you around 2500 to 7000

Driving quality is okay for me and driving comfort also but due to its long wheel base many of the arogant bangalore speed breakers will kiss its bed. punto is better in ground clearence

On Mileage part i mostly used it in long and got around 22.5 kmpl as top and average is not less than 20 kmpl in city once i got 17 kmpl

maintance cost it has a 2 years warrent where as 1 year service is free and second year its paid service (few consumerables and regular changable items we need to pay i beleive ) and i got the extended warrenty for the third year for free of cost

if you are not looking for resale value you should try either figo or Punto. punto is bit above your budget

My Figo Titanium Diesel costs me 6.62 Lakhs on road.

bought it from metro ford

Your questions

1. i already said try either figo titanium diesel or punto diesel

2. Feedbacks i already poured and just TD and go by your own feedback

3. CNG or LPG am not sure of the CNG filling stations in Bangalore but using LPG wont give you the confort and ride quality and the most people used to say fitting LPG is not good for the petrol engine's health

4. Yes you can buy it in pondicherry where it costs lesser than chennai.

where is your 5th question

6. havent heard officially from any dealer about figo 1.6 release date where they are going to reveal the fiesta new model on next month and fiesta hatch on this year end

final words you wont regreet if you choose figo diesel, and punto is good but heard alot of negative stuffs about the Tata service backup,

350Z

Core Team

Well described what car to buy thread. With the kind of requirements that you have indicated within this budget, the Ford Figo overall appears to be a better choice. Depending upon flexibility of budget, you can consider Fiat too but at present within the outlined requirements between Ford Figo and Fiat Punto, only Figo ticks all those boxes.

Dear Friends and Car experts,2> Long drive during week ends. Use will be not much in city. A> Should I but Diesel Car Or Petrol ? (Petrol price is getting too high day by day. )
Assuming that long drives will incur approximately 1,000+ Kilometers of monthly run. Diesel is the one to go with.

Yes, You can.

That is possible but you will require a residential proof (Of Chennai) for same.

No confirmations about the launch of Figo 1.6. However that is good if you can wait (And if also ready to consider something else other than both these cars) because new Swift is also launching soon.

Please refer to these threads, they might be of some help to you (Search the forum for more).

Ford Figo:

Fiat Punto:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #6

Dear Experts,

Thanks alot on seeing awesome advice on the very first post.

Dear Akash , cooldhaya,

My drive will be maximum 5000 KM per year.

I personally like pertol engine but now as the fuel cost is going high and high so bit confused.

I found the following pros and cons for each engine.

Diesel :

Pros:

1> Lower Cost , 2> Higher Mileage 3>do not need cell charged to start the engine (if I donot use the car for long time)

Cons:

1> Should run everyday otherwise need to change many parts
2> High maintain cost after 4-5 years. better to sale!
3> Cannot convert to CNG./LPG easily.

Petrol:

Pros:

1> Easy to maintain
2> Car cost 1 L less
3> If I donot use for long term also just need to recharge the cell
4> less noise & vibration, refined,
5> Can be install CNG/LPG ( but not sure with Ford Figo)

Cons:

1> High fuel cost
2> lower mileage

Dear Experts , Is this all correct? Plz. validate.

As my drive will be 5000 Km /year so what should I opt for?

@Dear MSN1: I stay in HSR Layout, Bangalore
Lathangi Ford, opp: IIMB, Banerghatta road is the nearest for me. But the question is is it a good dealer?

If I buy from pondicherry can I drive it in Bangalore without re-registration?

Is Ground Clearance is really a big issue for Figo with 4 full size person?

Question to all:

Final question :

With Car should I buy .

1> Petrol or Diesel?

2> If Petrol ...... then :

a>Ford Figo 1.2 Duratec Petrol Titanium

Or

b> Punto 1.2 FIRE Petrol Emotion?

c> Punto 1.4 FIRE Petrol Punto 1.4 Emotion ( and why should I spend 50K then 1.2 Emotion) ?

3> Is a 1.2 L Petrol Engine underpowered for Long drive with 4 person and other carry?

5000 km/year means you should go for a petrol vehicle . Also note that the Govt in its wisdom may remove the subsidy on diesel for commercial vehicles (only public transport and farmers may get the subsidy) anytime

Thread Starter #8

@vz1hrp: Yes, You are of-course correct.

And in INDIA there should not be subsidy on diesel for private cars / SUVs as it promote env. pollution.

Considering your yearly running, i would suggest you to go in for Ford Figo. Both Punto (P) and Figo (P) engines behave well, still I find the Figo petrol a better option. As for the looks, i think they are subjective so i will leave that option upto you.

Thread Starter #10

Dear Akash,

Thanks for your advice. I will take the TD at end of March. Only question for Figo is GC. Many owner complaining about that. Any way to avoid that in Figo petrol?

Is my all understanding in my last post correct?

The GC of Figo is a bit less and it is similar in both Petrol and diesel variants.
IMO test drive the Figo and do check the GC in person. If you find it an issue, you can go for Punto which has a handsome GC.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12

Yes Akash. Thanks for supporting my action map in mind.

I will do the same. :)

Lathangi Ford, opp: IIMB, Banerghatta road is the nearest for me. But the question is is it a good dealer?
when i inquire for my purchase didnt got good feed back for latangi

If I buy from pondicherry can I drive it in Bangalore without re-registration?
many dealers registered the car according to users preferance so if the pondicherry dealer is ok means you can ask him to register at koramangla or anywhere in bangalore

but to register here i beleve you need to pay road tax here and that would cost heavy

Is Ground Clearance is really a big issue for Figo with 4 full size person?

actually many moron speed breakers are issue for many hatchbacks and especially low floored sedans [frustration], but not SUVs

one of my neighbor [opposite to my home] is using a swift VDI (diesel) where he used to take it out every 10 or 15 days once [surprise] and he doesn't have any major issues till date

many people advised me not to go for diesel and when i really checked with the latest diesel car owners they said those are applicable for old model diesel cars and the latest Diesel cars engines are not that bad they respond almost like petrol one, so even low running like 500 or 600 kms per month wont hurt thats what i heard from users and dealer too, the only thing is maintenance, the spares cost is not too steep high but its higher than a petrol

hope the below URL Link may help you to find the maintaince details Ford - Ford Figo - Ownership

a similar statement i got from maruti for the maintenance cost difference from petrol to Diesel

Last edited:

Dear Akash,

Thanks for your advice. I will take the TD at end of March. Only question for Figo is GC. Many owner complaining about that. Any way to avoid that in Figo petrol?

Is my all understanding in my last post correct?
Bangalore has lot of unscientific speed breakers. GC is definitley something you have to keep in mind. If budget is not a constraint i would recommend a Punto(p) top model. For a lakh+ more you would get additional features llike steering mounted audio controls,rear power windows,60:40 split seating etc.

Thread Starter #15

Dear Friends,

Today I again gone and checked Figo and Punto.

Now I and my wife more inclined towards, yes, PUNTO (P).

As the build quality, GC, engine, both front and rear sitting , thing support, much better then Figo.

I donot bother about music system, bluetooth, etc.

I want the CAR should be robust, good engine, breaking system, GC, suspension, boot space.

I really feel safe, felt good , while in Punto. Feel as if I am in a sedan class car.

I will only miss the Airbag, but that's ok.

In the month-end I will go for TD of Punto 1.2, Punto 1.4 , Figo 1.2.

Now my question/confussion is:

1> Should I go for Punto 1.2 or 1.4 (both Emotion version, as my fund will noway permit more then that.)

I donot like a under-powered car.

2> What is the real mileage of Punto 1.2 in City and Highway with Full A/C?

What is the real mileage of Punto 1.4 in City and Highway with Full A/C?

3> As for 1.2 version I have to pay less so should I go for 1.2 only? Mind it : I will use it mostly for week-end drive and if needed in emergency.

4> Or should I buy 1.4L version (6.5L) in Bangalore though the mileage will be lesser and price is higher.

5> Prerana Motors : Agara Jn., Sarjapur Ring Road : Is this dealer good (for A.S.S)?
or KHT Motors : Kundanahalli main road, Whitefield ?

Thanks and regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom