Best Petrol Hatchback with Low Maintenance Cost

Thread Starter #1
Hi!

I am new to this forum.

I am looking for a Petrol car. My family consist of three.

I donot like :

1> Maruti : for their toy like cars ...IMO
2> Hundai : not VFM and costly to maintain
3> VW/SKODA: 3 pot motor, costly to maintain
4> Honda : costly to maintain on long run
5> Liva : vey light car/ poor from inside
6: Figo : Low GC , Bad FE

But still I need one. :(

Can you help me?

Your Budget: 5.5L -6.5L OnRoad ,Bangalore
Your Location: Bangalore
Top 5 Priorities: Build Quality, Low maintain cost on long run, Reliable, Great Ride and drive quality, good FF
Monthly Running: 600 Km max. / month In twice a year long trip (1500*2)
For Which Purpose: Family Trips (In city on week-ends and Long Drive approx. 150KM in 2 to 3 times a year.)
Max. Seating Capacity: 5
Priority of Fuel Type: Petrol
Body Type:Hatchback

Okay, as you have given all your needs and brand preference and you have taken 2 major companies(MS and HY), in the petrol hatches, you can easily try for Chevy Beat LT 1.2, has good power, maintenance package upto 1 Lakh kms or so, Not so good space in the back seats but manageable as you won't be using frequently.

After all that heavy filtering all that is left is Chevrolet & hence the beat is the only option i suppose

350Z

Core Team
You have the only choice left and that is Beat after striking off rest of the major brands. While it meets the criteria of being a Fuel Efficient and Pocket friendly hatchback but build quality is not the best amongst the segment. The rear seat is not going to be much comfortable for three adults either. Anyways it sure makes for a fantastic city car. Alternatively, You can also consider Maruti Suzuki Ritz and Hyundai i10.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Beat is good but then comes the fuel efficiency, in that case it does not help, mileage is not good, my uncle owns a beat and he is not happy with its mileage.

figo is a good option, abt figo's GC i have not yet faced any issues. I have never brushed its belly.

cheers.

Thread Starter #6
Thanks alot dear friends for the prompt reply. But I donot like Beat ...I checked last week.

Too uncomfortable for us.

By the end of 2012 any new car comming?

What abt the Best Diesel Hatchback with Low Maintenance Cost within same range.

I am not looking for abs,airbag. etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the range of 5.5 - 6.5 i would recommend the Figo diesel it is a good VFM car and secondly in your price range.

I am not promoting figo because i have it, looking at you price range if you can get a bigger and a better car then why not.

cheers,
Jango.

350Z

Core Team
By the end of 2012 any new car coming?
Chevrolet Sail, Mitsubishi Mirage and Volkswagen Up are a few hatchbacks that are likely to debut in 2012.

Thanks alot dear friends for the prompt reply. But I donot like Beat ...I checked last week. Too uncomfortable for us.
What abt the Best Diesel Hatchback with Low Maintenance Cost within same range.
Beat Diesel is also a sensible choice. But then, You don’t like the Beat at first place. Do you?

I am not looking for abs,airbag. etc.
Several car buyers in India overlook these safety features without realizing their importance. Now that you are a member of this forum – I would expect you to make an informed and wise decision. In simple words, Please do not avoid them unless budget is a concern and in this case, I find it is sufficient. Good luck.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #9
thx mr. jango...

what about punto 1.2 and 1.3? we all (in family) love the looks.
It these comes with high maintain cost?

Punto is good, the diesel gives a good FE while the petrol see below.

1.3 Diesel : 13.6 (City) / 17.1 (Highway)
1.2 Petrol : 10.4 (City) / 13.8 (Highway)

You might want to inquire about the A.S.S before going for it. Not sure if you have taken a test drive of the car but what i found was the Accelerator, brake and clutch pedals are closely placed to each other which makes it difficult while switching between accelerator and brake.

cheers.

Thread Starter #11
Thx Mr. 350z. So all there three cars are comming!

Sorry, I know abs, airbag is good but money is a real issue here. :(

Yes, I checked Punto 1.2 and 1.3. Both I felt good!

But what abt the spare part cost?

350Z

Core Team

Most of the Punto owners on our forum are quite satisfied with their car. Please refer to this link for a quick comparison of Fiat Punto Spare Part Prices.

Drive Safe,
350Z

@HSR2:
Buddy I'd never recommend you to go for a Punto petrol or Beat diesel.

You have already filtered all and everything out of your list except Punto and Beat but still I'll try to change some misconceptions:-
1> Maruti : for their toy like cars ...IMO:
Why don't you check out new Swift?It has got good build quality and has great ride and handling balance.Also check the Ritz too.

2> Hyundai : not VFM and costly to maintain:
Check out the new i-10 kappa asta or i-20 1.2 magna (O) package.I am sure these cars will force you to redefine the terms VFM and 'costly to maintain'.

4> Honda : costly to maintain on long run:
I am sure you are not goig to keep the car for 4-5 lac kms and hence they are nearly as much costly to maintain as the Maruti or Hyundai cars are.Check out Brio 'V' or Jazz.

My recommendations are in bold,brand-wise.Rest its upon you what to choose.

Thx Mr. 350z. So all there three cars are comming!

Sorry, I know abs, airbag is good but money is a real issue here. :(

Punto should serve all your need's, also check out Vista it should be easy on your pocket on the long run.

Top Bottom