Ford Fiesta Classic or Fiat Linea?

Thread Starter #1
Been quite some time, I'm looking to upgrade to a diesel sedan. I currently own an i10 and have done 67000kms (in 3 years).[frustration]

After a lot of test drives(Fiesta new & old, verna, rapid, sunny, linea, vento, SX4, manza) have shortlisted Fiesta Classic, Linea and Skoda Rapid.

The major points I'm looking at are:
1. Daily commute to office 50kms, so need a car that will handle well inside the city.
2. Occasional highway commute to Kerala(thrice a year), through pothole ridden coorg roads!
3. Good/Best mileage. BTW what kind of milage do these 3 cars give(in the city?)[confused]

Plan to book the car as soon as possible.
Hope I do get some help out here

Fiesta classic imo has the best handling. I think the linea drives well too. Linea has few more features than the fiesta. Tough choice between the both but the Fiesta classic is a bit cheaper

I had a fiesta classic petrol and i loved it! Mileage wise they should be around the same. Linea provides more rear space and has features like bluetooth and rear bench ac vents etc which the ford doesnt provide

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #4
Re: Fiesta Classic or Fiat Linea

Fiesta classic imo has the best handling. I think the linea drives well too. Linea has few more features than the fiesta. Tough choice between the both but the Fiesta classic is a bit cheaper
I too liked the way Fiesta handles, but I've been reading a lot about the low mileage the diesel variant offers. As for Linea, i liked the way it handles. The only thing i was worried about was the head room at the back. Any Linea owners who can comment on how comfortable a 6 feeter would find it at the back?

350Z

Core Team
Re: Ford Fiesta Classic or Fiat Linea

After a lot of test drives(Fiesta new & old, verna, rapid, sunny, linea, vento, SX4, manza) have shortlisted Fiesta Classic, Linea and Skoda Rapid.
I was in a similar dilemma a few months ago. The choice was difficult because I love both the cars. On one hand, Linea has a beautiful design with nice amount of latest features but performance is not the best in class (Except T-Jet). Fiesta Classic on the other hand, has a simplistic design with almost no modern gizmos as stock but it drives like a dream. In the end, I chose Fiesta considering practicality, massive discounts on offer and importantly, it met all the requirements. Fiesta ticks those three boxes. It handles like a hatchback in cities and is equally fun to drive on highways too. My 1.6 SXi returns reasonable fuel efficiency figures and I have also heard quite positive feedback about Diesel. Anyways we can recommend better if you shed light on the specific requirements and the budget. Please refer to this link for more.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #9

Anyways we could recommend better if you shed light on the specific requirements and the budget. Please refer to this link for more.

Well my budget would be about 8 lakhs(ex-showroom).
Since I drive mostly, 70% in the city, I've decided I do not need ABS/Airbags.
I would be driving about 20000kms a year, So i need a diesel vehicle.
I didnt like the Verna/new Fiesta(not that i could afford them), cos of their looks [evil], i prefer the simpler designs.. Well in my opinion Linea is simply awesome looker... [:D]

350Z

Core Team

Well my budget would be about 8 lakhs(ex-showroom). I would be driving about 20000kms a year, So i need a diesel vehicle. I didnt like the Verna/new Fiesta(not that i could afford them), cos of their looks , i prefer the simpler designs.. Well in my opinion Linea is simply awesome looker...
Fiesta Classic although would fit those requirements but the base and middle variant look cheap from inside since Ford has added the Figo's dashboard and other such bits. At almost Rs.9 Lakh (On-Road), I also do not think that SXi is worth it. Do inquire at the dealerships if there are any deals available on SXi Diesel. Overall Fiat Linea sounds VFM in terms of comfort and features. But personally, given such requirements, Skoda Rapid would be my next consideration.

Since I drive mostly, 70% in the city, I've decided I do not need ABS/Airbags.
Sadly, this is a common misbelief. It’s strongly recommended to have both the features if budget permits so.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Sadly, this is a common misbelief. It’s strongly recommended to have both the features if budget permits so.
+1 350Z
If a person is considering a budget diesel hatch/sedan and have only limited budget its okay to leave those safety features.
When looking for a new Sedan at a price range of 8 lakhs one must consider ABS and Airbags to be there in the car.
I would suggest you to try Swift Dzire ZDi also to your list.

@ Aditya, No comments on Rapid. Are you not considering it at all because it was there in your list of 3 ?

ABS and Airbags are must or rather I would put in different words. Person who can afford safety features, should definately do that because you never know when actually they would become a life saving feature for you and for your loved ones (Let alone the outside in respect to the ABS).

Handing of all three cars are good one would score 19 and other would score 21. Look at them as a overall package and discounts + service network in your region. No point buying a car and driving 100 KMs to get fixed or serviced.

All the best.

By the way, what is your budget and how long are you planning to keep your new car ? Because you want to change your 3 yrs old i10.

Just go thru following thread, it might help you out in deciding the fuel type and recovery of that extra 1 or 1.5 lakh you would be paying towards that Diesel engine.

Fiesta classic is a proven vehicle but is very common on Indian roads. I wouldn't recommend Linea given the poor after sales of Fiat. I hear that the high discounts offered are only on the rusting 2011 stocks that aren't sold out yet. [frustration]

Of the 3 vehicles you've listed, I'd recommend the Rapid. It has an awesome 1.6L diesel engine probably the best in the segment, decent brand image, amazing build quality and decent FE. Skoda after sales doesn't sound encouraging either, but I believe they have improved in recent times.

Why have you rejected Sunny? It is a looker, has best in class space and a proven 1.5L dci workhorse. You can save a lakh at least over what you spend on the Rapid. I strongly recommend you to check it out if you already haven't.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14

Why have you rejected Sunny? It is a looker, has best in class space and a proven 1.5L dci workhorse. You can save a lakh at least over what you spend on the Rapid. I strongly recommend you to check it out if you already haven't.
I did look at the sunny and i liked the car too(except for the interiors). As you might have realized by now, I'm very confused about what i really want.

@ Aditya, No comments on Rapid. Are you not considering it at all because it was there in your list of 3 ?
By the way, what is your budget and how long are you planning to keep your new car ? Because you want to change your 3 yrs old i10.
In the end i guess i may go for the Rapid, just for the sheer pleasure of driving with all the power. I plant to keep the vehicle for 5-6 years.

+1 350Z
If a person is considering a budget diesel hatch/sedan and have only limited budget its okay to leave those safety features.
When looking for a new Sedan at a price range of 8 lakhs one must consider ABS and Airbags to be there in the car.
I would suggest you to try Swift Dzire ZDi also to your list.
Dzire has a crazy waiting period and i dont like the space utilization inside the swift(i guess it must be similar in the Dzire too).

@adityajayant
If you are going for Skoda Rapid I would suggest you to go for the Ambition variant since it has ABS and driver airbags. More than those airbags the addition you pay for ABS would be worth. Regarding After Sales Service Skoda owners are the right pople to get opinion from.
Regarding Swift Dzire , if you are ready to withstand a long waiting period Dzire ZDi would be best VFM. Its performance may not tally with that of those 1.6l cars.
But Dzire ZDi would be the exact choice for a budget of 8 lakhs.

Top Bottom