Sold Out My Alto. Now Which Car?

Thread Starter #1

lxi.

Suspended
Huh! Finally Sold out my Maruti Alto LXi day before yesterday. Here are the details of the Deal-
Car- Maruti Suzuki Alto Lxi
Year of Purchase- 2008
Kilometres on Odo – 36125 kms
Condition – Average. (Nothing for repair, Only some scratches/dents on Wheel Wells and Side body)
Price When Purchased – Rs. 275000
Price Got now – Rs. 185000
Reason – Started giving small troubles (Noise, Vibrating cabin, Light not working, etc.) and needed an UPGRADE (Yipee!).

So, The car was given to my close friend and as it was his first car, He didn’t had much knowledge about cars, So He readily gave Rs.175000-180000 for my car.
When I had bought the car, I had a strong feeling that I will sell it ASAP after 1 year. But, After having happy miles with her and enjoying Maruti’s Reliability, I kept it with me for the time being. Time went on and 3 years passed away in a short flash! But, (Read in hindi!)“HONI KO KOI NAHII TAAL SAKTA”, Therefore, I had in mind from early 2012 that I need an upgrade. Soon, The car’s problems started going northwards. From Small Rattling issues, The car had turned into a RATTLE SNAKE! Lol! Continous Problems like Cabin light not working, Parking Lamp not working, Taillight not working, Continous noise from the Door Pads, Noise from Front Left Tyre, Car refusing to start early morning and stopping in between drive, Engine stalling and coming to life after some time,etc started troubling me a lot. Reported this to MASS and some of them were sorted out but finally I told one night to Dad. Here the conversation goes-
ME – Dad, Alto is giving me problems and It has become a pain to maintain it.
HE – Why, What happened? Isnt it working fine?
ME – Some problems are arising nowadays. (Then I told him a long list of them). When I come out from office, I am never sure that the car will start to take me home!
HE – Ok. Will see to it. Take it to Maruti this weekend.
ME – I personally feel that the car will eat up money than saving it! I NEED A NEW CAR.What?
HE – Will see to it.
ME – Dad, I have not got my Birthday present dad. 
HE – Ok. Then You decide which car. You will get till June – July. Happy.
ME – Super duper happy!
SO, Now I am having a Honda City and Mahindra Scorpio. I am again here for my queries about new car.
Here are the details of my condition-
Need- A NEW CAR!
Type – Not decided yet. Preferably Compact Sedan or Mighty SUV.
Budget – Not decided yet. Maximum 9-12 L! The Cheaper the Better.
Make – ANYTHING would do. It should be common on roads, Not like JAZZ etc.
Mileage – Should be 14-16kmpl on Highway- City mix.
Average Monthly Running – Umm! Some 1200-1300 kms max.
Fuel Type – Either Petrol or Diesel. Preferably Diesel.
Cars Considered – NONE! Yet. The buying will take place in June July only.

Listen, THE CAR WILL NOT BE BOUGHT BEFORE JUNE. So, I am not in a hurry.

So, Which cars are under my budget? And Please suggest the Car Type and Fuel Type which would suite me best.

Waiting for Valuable Inputs.
Cheers.

Re: Sold out my ALTO, Now which car!

You want a common car?

Hatch - Swift
Sedan - Dzire

If I was in your place, I would buy the Linea T-Jet.

Re: Sold out my ALTO, Now which car!

Haha,I was also in same dilemma some months back and we did our TDs etc very actively too.And at last,we ended up investing the money we had for the car and the car buying decision suspended for unknown time(now it looks like somewhere in end 2012 or after that).

Well,going by your query:-
1):You have already got a fantastic petrol sedan...Honda City.
2):You have already got a good SUV....Mahindra Scorpio vlx.

Budget is 9-12 lacs.
Preference is compact sedan or SUV,must be common,14-16 kpl and 12-1300 kms running.
Well,my mind says a 'RAPID TDI' wil be the best for you.Good to drive,good FE and will perfectly fit in your budget.
And if you are ready to go for a used car too..then search for a Laura TSI,this car will blow you away.

Rest +10 to Raj,even I would also have preferred a T-Jet,I seriously love the turbo petrols.

Thread Starter #5

lxi.

Suspended
@Raj - Thanks for the suggestions. But, Do you think swift is the right car for a budget of 9L? Anyways, I am not going to go for any top model (Zxi/ZDi/Asta/etc) as I am ok with wheel covers and may plan to add alloys later. Any more suggestions?
Please share some details of Linea T Jet.

@Krish - Actually, I am not liking the looks of the Storme from the pics of the net. Maybe , In person, It is a different thing. Also, If the Storme comes for sale till june, Will it be available without Waiting?

---

Also, What about SKODA RAPID? I saw a white one and was really FLAT at the moment! :lol!:
Any other alternatives? VENTO? POLO? PUNTO? Or I can also go for Swift Dzire Vdi.

EDIT : I want a SEDAN/BIG CAR only. Not interested in tiny Hatches! Although some hatches on high end price can do, Like Punto, I20, Polo, etc.

Should I go for Diesel? I feel it would be better in the long run and also will fetch me some more resale.

Swift is not the right option but it is very very popular. I recommended that since you wanted a popular car.

Okay, test drive the following cars :
Vento Diesel
Rapid diesel
Linea T-Jet
Verna Diesel
i20 CRDi
Polo 1.6

Thread Starter #7

lxi.

Suspended
@TSI- Hehe. I missed your post bhai! What about a Polo,etc? I am really confused.

Anyways, Rapid is a nice car. Really good looking (Front - Fabia, Rear - Vento ; I will get looks of 2 cars ; 2 in 1!) :lol!:

I have personally listed few cars i am interested in (which i saw today and got FLAT!)
1. VW Vento (Don't know Whether it will fit in my budget! Oops.)
2. Skoda RAPID
3. Dzire Diesel
4. VW Polo TDi High Line
5. Linea (in MAroon/REd)
6. Punto Emotion (White.)

Well,LXI here goes a rough estimate of the prices:-
1):Linea T-Jet-About 9-9.3 lacs.
2):Rapid TDI-About 9.8-10-2 lacs.
3):Vento TDI-10.6-11.1 lacs.
4):Verna diesel...I am not interested in even knowing the variants of this car..so price is a far thought..

Buddy,first of all make a list of your preferences,once you said you don't like tiny hatches and now you are asking about Polo..Still,if you love driving then go for Polo 1.6..

Thread Starter #9

lxi.

Suspended
Okay. Let me clear out all the confusions-

After detailed thought, Here are the NEW requirements- :lol!:

Car Type- Hatch(High Price)/Sedan(Mid priced)/SUV(Low Priced) and Everything.
Fuel Preferred - DIESEL ONLY/- :)
Price - Min. 5.5 - 6 L and Max 8.5 - 9.5L
Mileage - Around 13-15kmpl, Anyways, No problem with that.
Brand - Trusted one. If not, A popular one (Eg, VolksWagen, Chevy,etc)
Current Cars - Honda City V MT, Mahindra Scorpio VLX MT (Actually I have a second thought for WHITE Scorpio! What Say?)
Expecting Delivery - Max till Mid-June.
CArs Considered-
Vento TDI(Not in budget anymore)
RAPID (Somewhere inside the budget, Will see to it)
Polo TDI(I LUV IT! Thats All!)
Punto (A great car with many TAI'ns, Right?)
Dzire Vdi (Same Maruti Dealership, etc, etc. If you want I can give you more reasons)
i20 Crdi Magna/Sportz (A perfect Hatchback)

Thats All.

CArs Removed because of Personal Reasons (Looks, Ass, etc.)-
Hyundai Verna (Vitamin M)
SX4 (Looks)
City (Already have one)
Safari/Storme (Looks :()

SO PLEASE HELP ME GUYS. Any more details you want, Ask me.

Okay. Let me clear out all the confusions-

After detailed thought, Here are the NEW requirements- :lol!:

Car Type- Hatch(High Price)/Sedan(Mid priced)/SUV(Low Priced) and Everything.
Fuel Preferred - DIESEL ONLY/- :)
Price - Min. 5.5 - 6 L and Max 8.5 - 9.5L
Mileage - Around 13-15kmpl, Anyways, No problem with that.
Brand - Trusted one. If not, A popular one (Eg, VolksWagen, Chevy,etc)
Current Cars - Honda City V MT, Mahindra Scorpio VLX MT (Actually I have a second thought for WHITE Scorpio! What Say?)
Expecting Delivery - Max till Mid-June.
CArs Considered-
Vento TDI(Not in budget anymore)
RAPID (Somewhere inside the budget, Will see to it)
Polo TDI(I LUV IT! Thats All!)
Punto (A great car with many TAI'ns, Right?)
Dzire Vdi (Same Maruti Dealership, etc, etc. If you want I can give you more reasons)
i20 Crdi Magna/Sportz (A perfect Hatchback)

Thats All.

CArs Removed because of Personal Reasons (Looks, Ass, etc.)-
Hyundai Verna (Vitamin M)
SX4 (Looks)
City (Already have one)
Safari/Storme (Looks :()

SO PLEASE HELP ME GUYS. Any more details you want, Ask me.
If driving Big vehicle is not an issue jut TD Safari LX and Scrop LX.

LXI buddy,leave all the thoughts and go to Mahindra first choice.
Ask them if they have a Laura 1.8 TSI.And get one for you.
The day you will get the car,you will never say 'DIESEL ONLY'..
And this car has all and everything in a perfect balance to delight you.
Example:I am 19,my father is 50..once he drove TSI and see he drives and gets chauffeured in TSI only while I being 19 drive a 1.4 D-4D.
I think this small story is more than enough to explain the magic of TSI.

Thread Starter #12

lxi.

Suspended
Krish - no, not going for safari. Will see of buying a white scorpio vlx if possible. I already have a black one.

Tsi- bro, i know. But i have had a skoda octavia which was second hand and also one wagonr, had to sell waggie in 1 year and octy in 6 months because of the problems. I have no prob with used car but dad says no for used cars if we have ample budget. Try to understand buddy, i cannot break my dads heart. Otherwise, no doubt laura is a super hot car.
What about a altis? How much did it costed you. My dad likes it. Maybe i can exceed the budget to some 15lacs.

Cheers.

If you can go for the altis then why not go for the fluence.
It is a big car.
Read somewhere elegant variant costs 11.99L.
I would not be in favour of two identical cars.
In case you need to go for An SUV , i would suggest wait for the duster.

In Hatch Punto would be my suggestion. Maybe raj can help you further in that regard.

Tsi- bro, i know. But i have had a skoda octavia which was second hand and also one wagonr, had to sell waggie in 1 year and octy in 6 months because of the problems. I have no prob with used car but dad says no for used cars if we have ample budget. Try to understand buddy, i cannot break my dads heart. Otherwise, no doubt laura is a super hot car.
What about a altis? How much did it costed you. My dad likes it. Maybe i can exceed the budget to some 15lacs.

Cheers.
Well,since you can expand upto 15 lacs and your father is interested in Altis,then buddy let me put just one point "If you need no surprises,if you need your car to be what you expect it to be,if you need an ownership experience where you will be seen just cheerful,if you want a car with which you can never go wrong...THEN ALTIS IS FOR YOU"[clap]Before owning the Altis,I too opposed it very badly,but with each passing day,this car has won my heart...
Many people can oppose the above words of mine,but they are damn true:
  • You expect car to be underpowered-It is.
  • You expect completely non-enthusiastic drive-It has.
  • You expect a car without sporting intentions and dynamics-Definitely it has none of them.

But but but..

• You expect a comfortable car with loads of space-It is.
  • You expect brilliant FE-It has.
  • you expect just acceptable performance-It has(In fact can easily do 150-160 kph)
  • You expect a car with all ingredients just right-It has.
  • You expect an awesome ease of ownership-It has.
  • You expect negligible maintenance-It has.
  • You expect class-It has..
Although it is not painful for self driven too(I am,and 90% drive Corolla myself),but if you have a good chauffy then simply this is the best car you can own at the said price.
The 'G' variant will cost somewhere around 15-15.2 lacs on-road Gurgaon and around 15.5 lacs on-road Delhi.

And still if you are in a mod of tasting TSI then you can get TSI Classic for around 14.2 lacs and TSI Ambiente for around 15.6 lacs(I got Ambients for 14.8 lacs-thanks to some schemes available those days).

Best of luck for your decision...[thumbsup]

Last edited:
You can wait for Duster/Ecosport. Duster would be a very good option and will be launched by Q3 2012. I'm sure both will be worth the wait. If you cant wait, punto 90HP MJD will suit you well. I personally dont recommend the i20.IMO, it just has features and nothing more. Punto and Polo will be pure fun to drive .If you love driving and can cope up with a few features, Polo and Punto will be good. But, Punto's motor is better than 1.2 in Polo. So, either Punto/Duster/Ecosport.

Top Bottom