Best Automatic Hatchback to Buy.

Thread Starter #1
I like to purchase a hatchback car with automatic ,i10 or i20 etc . which s better ?How much milege these gets ?
and how much i get on excess duty concession ?(iam a physiically handicapped0

please reply

Re: The Best Automatic Hatchback to Buy.

Hi, welcome to TAI. Regarding i10 automatic, there are two issues, steering rattle and weak ac. Apart from that, the car is hoot to drive. I would suggest you to look at astar auto also. It does not have any problems and mileage is also much more.

i10 A/T is not very good on the fuel efficiency front. You can expect around 9 in the city & around 10-11 on the highways. No idea about the A-star but it comes with an antiquated 3 speed A/T gearbox. Do you really want that?

Of all AT hatches( which are of-course 3), i20 is the best one, expensive as well. If you can afford a sedan, then there are few more options. But, dont expect much Fuel efficiency from these cars.

Well, the best automatic hatchbacks in India right now are A-star, i10 & i20.

The A-star automatic have the same engine of the manual one which is capable of generating 67PS at 6200rpm and 90Nm of peak torque at 3500rpm. It is claimed that the car has a fuel economy of 17 kmpl as per ARAI tests.
The i10 is a very good apart from the mileage issues & some steering rattling issues some have experienced. The automatic version of the car comes with an in-line 1.2L, 4 cylinder, 79bhp, 1197cc petrol unit capable of producing maximum power of 80ps at 5,200kgm and maximum torque of 11.4kgm at 4,000rpm. The auto Hyundai i10 has an automatic 4 speed gear box that is a great performer.
The Hyundai i20 Asta (AT) is powered by the 1.4L, Gamma petrol engine with four speed automatic transmission gearbox. The 1.4l unit is capable of producing maximum power of 100PS at 5,500rpm and maximum torque of 13.9 kgm at 4200 rpm. But, the car costs more than the other 2 vehicles.
Among these three, I guess the A-star has more mileage!

No idea about the A-star but it comes with an antiquated 3 speed A/T gearbox. Do you really want that?
are you sure [surprise]? It comes with the 4-speed gearbox as per my knowledge

Last edited:
Friends,

having driven both cars (i10 auto, which I own and a star auto, which a friend owns) extensively, a star is real VFM package and best on mileage, not under tired, braking is better, no serious flaws like steering rattle, easy on maintenance and most important, easy availability of oils, spares. Many times hyundai puts manual gear oil in auto box. Most shockingly the SA's promote this practice.

My 9 months old i10 1.2 manual is giving me 12kmpl fuel average in city and 13kmpl on highway with ac on. Only issue i face with the car is steering rattle noise which is very annoying HMP Delhi repaired it four times in last few months but problem reoccurs now steering become hard after all this i finally gave up and living with this mess, AC is fine, engine is a gem to drive.

attaching a mail below from one of the numerous i had written to HMIL in past

steering noise.JPG

They even follow up me now to solve this problem, but i am now sure this problem is irreparable so refuse to give my car to them again.

Last edited:
Do not take you car to hyundai jokers. They will only ruin your car further. IMHO, hyundai should be banned from India. I have stopped more than 500+ people from buying i10 and i20.

a star is the best automatic hatch available today.

toughguy, my i10 auto gives me 12 in city with 100% ac on.

I have not experienced any Steering rattle issues. What exactly happens? Does it happen only at high speeds? No use taking car to Hyundai, waste of time and money as I've read in many occasions. But I feel you take a chance and go for i10 itself.

Top Bottom