First Time Buying a Car – Honda Brio – Need Advice!!

Thread Starter #1
Hello, to all the members of TAI,

Myself Ashwin from Pune, I am very new to this forum and also to knowledge’s about... will be buying my first car in some days[:)]

My requirements were:
City driving, monthly running – 1000-1500km, Easy to drive in traffic, Good looks.
Did some research on car, took test drive and finally zeroed down on Honda brio. – SMTO

On road price – pune .

SMTO – 5.82953 (excluding road side assistance+ extended warrenty) (511748+ 19148+52057.32)
SMT - 517656(excluding road side assistance+ extended warrenty) (453641+17187+46828)

Pros
1. Cute Looks ,
2. Decent interiors with beige colour
3. Gear shift was smooth and riding was good.
4. And finally Brio is a new car.
5. Also the fact that Honda makes very good cars ( as mentioned on different forums, no personals experience though )
Cons:
1. Driver seat height adjustment
2. Rear seat – back rest is too low as compared to other cars
3. Less boot space -
4. DashBoard – OK – could have been better.
5. Trun indicator on mirror would have been gud.
6. No discounts ,although I managed to get sun films ( garware/3M not sure though), UV polish [:)]

As we are only 2 people so boot space was not a problem for me.
So finally I booked the car from crystal Honda, pune.

Before giving the booking amount I confirmed in writing the following
1. Price
2. VIN number and Engine number .
3. Accessories – sun films and UV coating.
4. Delivery date
5. Pre registration check.
6. No cancellation charges
7. Flexibility to change variant if required

Finance –
I am planning to arrange on my own, from SBI as it’s very near to y office and found the manager to be bit friendly. He assured me that loan will be done within 5 days. Let’s see how it goes.

RTO

My main problem is with RTO registration amount.

Dealer -1 Crystal Honda - (from where I have booked the Brio) sales guy told me RTO prices have been increased from 7% to 9 %, hence the RTO amount comes to 52,057
i.e – 9%(511748) + 6000 ( handling , agent etc etc)

Now when I enquired with the dealer-2 he told me prices have still not increased and he Quoted me the old price for registration i.e – 41822
i.e. 7% (511748) + 6000 handling charges.
But he also mentioned, if it’s increased during the process then I need to pay the extra money.

I also cheeked with a RTO agent, he mentioned the prices are to be hiked but still NOT effective yet.

So when I went back to the sales guy from crystal Honda and asked why he has quoted extra Rs – 10,000, to which he said RTO prices have increased as informed by their sales manager and if at all RTO prices is at 7% then they will refund me the extra amount

1. Friends I am really confused on this, what to do now. I have asked the sales guy to provide me with the original RTO receipts. Friends, Is there anything else I need to do to avoid being cheated.
2. Anyone from Pune, Please share your experience.

Need to advices on following:
1. For RTO registration, need to do affidavit for address proof. How can I do this?
2. Is both Police NOC and affidavit required for RTO registration.?
3. Should I go for UV polish on a new car? or should I bargain for some other thing instead car cover etc, not sure though if I will get now.
4. Choice of SMTO over SMT – is its really worth putting 65-70K extra on safety features like air bags and ABS, EBD for a city car like Brio ?
5. Anything else I need to take care now so that I am not taken for a ride by the dealer.

Thanks all, looking forward for your replies, will keep you updated.

Regards
Ashwin.

Re: First Time buying a Car – HONDA BRIO – Need Advice!!

Well first of all amny cogratulations for booking a new car. Following are my advice

1.) Check the rates from authority and if possible get a circular and give it to the dealer regaridng the registartion amount.
2.) If rates will increase in the due process than you have to pay extra money as it will go to govt.
3.) No need to go for UV coating instead you can ask for basic accesory kit, etc.
4.) Yes, ABS, EBD, and air bags helps a lot even in city driving. As while braking hard in city itself the ABS get activated and saves you from Screech and reduce the braking distance (personal experience in Aria).

5.) IMPortant: If you are spending nearly 6L on a city car and have no issues for ABS and EBD than why dont you try HONDA JAZZ also (base model). It has all the features and has much better space and seating comfort. You might be able to get discounts on Jazz which they are not giving on Brio.
Have a test drive and compare both the cars.

lxi.

Suspended

congrats on booking the Brio.

Well you could have got Jazz as it is more reputed and better seller than Brio. But on problem, if you like Brio, get it.
If you have budget, then go for S option.

If possible, try to cancel booking from first dealer and get it from some other who says that the prices are not effective yet.

And regarding HONDA, it is really quality and has good behavioured staff in dealerships also. I own a City.

For other questions,
i agree with tornado.

lxi.

Suspended

@tornado78, How come ABS reduce braking distance. I heard that it increases the braking distance. correct me if i am wrong.

ABS with EBD reduces the braking distance

First after applying brakes EBD will provide equal braking power to all brakes
Second If any slippage or loss of traction sensed by ABS it will activate its module accordingly and apply/relaease brakes nth number of times per second for an effective and screech/slippage less braking. During both operations EBD helps in applying required braking pressure/force to all wheels respectively.

These things hepls in maintaining a smooth braking procedure and thus reduce braking distance.

If one is considering the scenario where if brakes are applied and vehicle comes to a halt while screeching and slipping than i dont have data and personal experience.

ABS with EBD reduces the braking distance

First after applying brakes EBD will provide equal braking power to all brakes
Second If any slippage or loss of traction sensed by ABS it will activate its module accordingly and apply/relaease brakes nth number of times per second for an effective and screech/slippage less braking. During both operations EBD helps in applying required braking pressure/force to all wheels respectively.

These things hepls in maintaining a smooth braking procedure and thus reduce braking distance.

If one is considering the scenario where if brakes are applied and vehicle comes to a halt while screeching and slipping than i dont have data and personal experience.
Yes that is true. I have observed this personally in my car getting stopped before I expect it to[clap]

I took delivery of my Brio EMT some 2 weeks back. My suggestion either go for EMT or SM(O)T.

I don't think its easy for the dealer to cheat you for Registration amount.
Just insist on original receipts.

Brio is a really nice car with good mileage.
Other replies in bold
1. For RTO registration, need to do affidavit for address proof. How can I do this?
I think dealer will help you in preparing affidavit.
Not idea
3. Should I go for UV polish on a new car? or should I bargain for some other thing instead car cover etc, not sure though if I will get now.
Better to get things like sunfilm, door beeding, car cover, back parking indicator etc
4. Choice of SMTO over SMT – is its really worth putting 65-70K extra on safety features like air bags and ABS, EBD for a city car like Brio ?
I will prefer SM(O)T over SMT any day. Apart from ABS & Airbags it has electrically adjustable ORVM. You will miss them badly & difference in price should be 60K
5. Anything else I need to take care now so that I am not taken for a ride by the dealer.

Thanks all, looking forward for your replies, will keep you updated.

Regards
Ashwin.

WELCOME TO TAI ASHWIN...Enjoy your stay..

As we are only 2 people so boot space was not a problem for me.
So finally I booked the car from crystal Honda, pune.
That's the perfect choice for you.Have you considered your monthly running,income,expected car expenses etc etc before deciding the car?

Before giving the booking amount I confirmed in writing the following
1. Price
2. VIN number and Engine number .
3. Accessories – sun films and UV coating.
4. Delivery date
5. Pre registration check.
6. No cancellation charges
7. Flexibility to change variant if required
You did it definitely right,now they will have to stick to their commitments.

Finance –
I am planning to arrange on my own, from SBI as it’s very near to y office and found the manager to be bit friendly. He assured me that loan will be done within 5 days. Let’s see how it goes.
Taking loan from SBI is really far better than going for any private bank,there is nothing hidden and no condition applies.What you see is what is all.

Are you living on rent?If yes then you need it.
As much I know it will contain an address proof of the flat/house owner with the affidavit saying Ashwin c/o Mr.XYZ and hence it will be your address proof for the RTO office.In other words it will be a proof that you live in the house of the said person and he accepts it that you live there.

No Police NOC is something not needed here,maybe in Pune they need it.

65-70k for safety features!!
Buddy you must say 'JUST' 65-70k for safety.For 65-70k you are not buying ABS,ABD and airbags but you are buying safety for your family and safety has not price or say safety is priceless.I am strictly in favor of ABS and airbags in the car,I wish they must never come into use but they must be there.

I took delivery of my Brio EMT some 2 weeks back. My suggestion either go for EMT or SM(O)T.
Congrats for your Brio Naveen,where is the ownership review with a lot of pics?

the Brio looks great in the front, honestly at the back its like Honda ran out of ideas. Sorry that's my view guys.

It's a good car, but it's so tiny! I doubt a 6 foot plus person would fit.
Ask other dealers in your city about it. And for city use, I don't think you need to pay extra for those features.. unless you venture on highways!

Putting money on safety features is always good. ABS with EBD will help you in rains. Brio is a nice car. DO make sure they give you the rear parcel tray as its coming with stock cars. No need for upgrading to jazz as you won't get it, let alone discounts. For your usage & 2 adults Brios absolutely fine. You could go through my ownership thread as well.

Re: First Time Buying a Car – HONDA BRIO – Need Advice!!

@Tornado, I was talking of ABS without Electronic brake distribution. Sorry.
No it was a good question, as i also used to think that how come ABS reduces the braking distance. Than after a lot of reading and personal driving experience i came to the conclusion.
But ABS is very effective on wet roads or roads where there are gravels, loose soil. in such conditions ABS not only provide a stable braking but also helps in maintaining vehicle balance on the road.

I would say opt for the safety features. At-least you will get that initial investment back while selling off the car.So, opt for ABS and airbags. While choosing loan, make sure that there is no prepayment penalty .I would recommend SBI and of-course bargain for freebies.

I have gone for SBI, any time you can do part payment/pre closure without any penalty and the interest is daily reducing balance, so for the amount you made part payment, no need to pay interest.

After some years the safety features will come with all variants by all manufacturers, at that time its good to have these feature while reselling. People may ask for these features as it will become mandatory for all cars in near future.

Top Bottom