Does it Make Sense to Buy a Test Driven Chevrolet Cruze?

Thread Starter #1
Hi.

I am planning to buy a Chevrolet Cruze at some point within the next two months and the dealer here wants to sell me a test driven Chevrolet Cruze LTZ for ₹9,80,000 – ₹10,00,000.

They are very selective about who they allow to test drive the car and it has only done 2,000 kilometres in four months. By the time I buy it, I expect it to have done about 3,000. I test drove the car and gave it a very thorough check and it does seem to be brand new, both in terms of driving and the interiors and exteriors.

However, test driven cars obviously get no running in. I drove it spiritedly myself. My question is, is running-in important enough for me to consider forgoing a ₹5,00,000 discount and get a brand new one?

Actually, I cannot really afford a ₹15 lac car, so I’d then have to buy a Hyundai Verna Fluidic, most likely. What would you guys do if you were in my situation? Has anyone here ever bought a test driven car?

Well, go for it if the company is giving you any warranty/claims for it. A cruze for 10lacs which has done only 3000kms is excellent offer.
Though I feel something fishy in here. Make a thorough check on the car before choosing!

I would say that check the car properly of any damage or re-work done. Check with the dealer regarding the warranty, try getting the extended warranty on a discounted price.
And if everything works out and the car has no problems. Than i would say Cruze with a 5,00,000 discount is an awesome offer and one good deal.
Rest i would say that wait and see what other people on TAI says including our experts.

- Please consider this deal as if u r buying a second hand car and do all the checks likewise. Especially physical damages, small nicks/cracks etc. Ask for a full body treatment(3m or something alike)
- Agree with the point above by Singh890 that you should go for extended warranty.
- Especially check brake pads/ clutch
- Be thoroughly convinced that this is car which will serve u well, a peace of mind is very important when you are spending a million rupees.
- Get all the essential fluids replaced and typical 10K service items done - just to ward of the evils of rough test driving and to be on the safer side.
- Check the tyres thoroughly for any wear/ damages including the stepney

Last edited:
Something is fishy here for sure. I have heard of test-drive cars being sold (genuinely) before also but a 5L discount on a 3K done car is too much that too when cruze is doing fairly well. I suggest you to have a careful examination of all mechanicals and electricals. Also, have an eagle eye check at front bumpers and headlights to see if they have been replaced or are still original(you can make this out by noticing the screws) to see if the car suffered any frontal impacts ever. Do check the straight line performance of the car to see any steering issues. Do examine full body for any paint touch-ups. And most importantly, check to see if the car was ever registered to any buyer or is registered to the dealer.

If all is found genuine then you have got one hell of a deal my friend and I am plain jealous of you.[evil]

freakdude.

I assume it is registered. So, you would be a second owner of the car. TD cars are not that bad if maintained properly.

5 lacs discount is not a big one actually. Safari 2.2 top-end TD vehicle was sold for 8 lacs and you can get Innova V in the range of 8-9 lacs.

I assume it is registered. So, you would be a second owner of the car. TD cars are not that bad if maintained properly.

5 lacs discount is not a big one actually. Safari 2.2 top-end TD vehicle was sold for 8 lacs and you can get Innova V in the range of 8-9 lacs.
Only temp Registration would be done for TD vehicles. So If one buys TD vehicles they are the first owner. 5 Lacs discount is ok for a TD vehicle as you told

350Z

Core Team
How old is the car? Can you verify it with the help of VIN? Generally test drive cars are sold at cost of a used car by calculating the depreciation etc. Personally I advice to stay away from these vehicles even if it is done merely 3,000 Kms because considering that different people handle them in different manner, it becomes sometimes equivalent to a 3 Lakh Kms model. Although since you told that they are picky about the people test driving it and the condition is fair enough, just make sure to do a very thorough inspection with help of a qualified mechanic (for accidents / part replacements / mechanical faults etc) and only then proceed if everything seems to be in favour. General Motors should be also offering a standard warranty as they do on any new car. Here are some links which might be helpful:

- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...coding-vehicle-identification-number-vin.html

- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...pecting-second-hand-car-exhaustive-guide.html

- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...pre-delivery-inspection-exhaustive-guide.html

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice. The majority opinion is clearly that I should do a thorough check and then go for it if satisfied. Glad to hear that. :)

I am not worried so much about there being something suspicious though. I live in a small city and all the baniya families here are connected to each other. The car dealer is distantly related to us and speaks to my parents with utmost respect. It’s highly unlikely that he would try to swindle us.

Also, while the Cruze may be a big seller in the rest of India, a ₹13 lac car is a tough sell in smaller cities. There is only one Cruze out in the wild in the city and that is owned by the dealer himself (which also served as the test drive car for six months before he took ownership of it).

I will see if I can get them to include the extended warranty along with the car and do a full pre-delivery check as suggested by you guys. Thanks so much. :)

Thanks for all the advice. The majority opinion is clearly that I should do a thorough check and then go for it if satisfied. Glad to hear that. :)

I am not worried so much about there being something suspicious though. I live in a small city and all the baniya families here are connected to each other. The car dealer is distantly related to us and speaks to my parents with utmost respect. It’s highly unlikely that he would try to swindle us.

Also, while the Cruze may be a big seller in the rest of India, a ₹13 lac car is a tough sell in smaller cities. There is only one Cruze out in the wild in the city and that is owned by the dealer himself (which also served as the test drive car for six months before he took ownership of it).

I will see if I can get them to include the extended warranty along with the car and do a full pre-delivery check as suggested by you guys. Thanks so much. :)
Looking at what you said about Cruze selling very less in your city, the 5 Lakhs discount seems to be normal and nothing fishy. Also you should be getting the regular warranty as for any new cars. So you dont have to worry for it and you can just go on with the deal. gud luck[:)]

I think its a good deal. i recently bought vento, although a very good car but if i would have been offered this car i would have gone for it. just verify wheter warranty is covered or not. 5 lakhs is a huge discount. a full service is all needed before taking the delivery. i dont see any chances of car getting damaged as the person who td the car wont put the car in danger, at the most he will handle it a bit roughly so as to get the idea of the behavior of the car under such circumstances.

@ aryayush

It sounds like a good deal & considering you will be paying 10 lk & getting a Ltz with 3000 odd on clock it makes it even more sweet,does the car have the bright grey leather or the new dark ones cos if am not wrong they changed the interior leather to a darker shade quite a while ago,does the car have any test drive stickers on it? as when you remove them there mite be some paint fade.The brand new Ltz is 17 on road here in Bangalore how much is it in your place?

Thread Starter #13
It has the new jet black interiors and has no stickers anywhere. It costs about ₹13,80,000 on-road out here. Are you sure about the Bengaluru price? Should be no more than ₹14,50,000, I think.

@ aryayush

It sounds like a good deal & considering you will be paying 10 lk & getting a Ltz with 3000 odd on clock it makes it even more sweet,does the car have the bright grey leather or the new dark ones cos if am not wrong they changed the interior leather to a darker shade quite a while ago,does the car have any test drive stickers on it? as when you remove them there mite be some paint fade.The brand new Ltz is 17 on road here in Bangalore how much is it in your place?
Yes the interiors were changed and couple of new features like Auto dimming rearview mirror, Bluetooth and USB connectivity were added. The six CD changer was mo longer available.
I believe 17 would be for LTZ automatic.

It has the new jet black interiors and has no stickers anywhere. It costs about ₹13,80,000 on-road out here. Are you sure about the Bengaluru price? Should be no more than ₹14,50,000, I think.
Hi,
If the condition of the vehicle is good, just go for it.
and also try to get GM mainatainence package with the purchase of the car, to keep a check on your future bills.

Top Bottom