Need Help – Used Honda Civic or New Skoda Rapid?

Thread Starter #1
Hi All, I am really very confused Please Help.

To start with at present I am having 2006 model Honda City Zx. i purchased it in 2010 second hand. So its really giving me the desired result as it is expected from Honda Badge. Now after Driving it around for 30k kms. which makes it total to 60000 on odometer. I am very satisfied with my car.

But now i am again planning to change my car, as my office is around 35 kms one way i.e around 70 kms a day, and tht too mostly on highway, i Needed to change my car.

Starting with the budget, I set my budget to 6-6.5 lacs. Now 1st i thought of getting a new diesel car like the Rapid. But then my cousin bought an old Civic and after experiencing that car, i really feel it has taken over mind. Its interiors, looks, space. its really amazing.

Now i am really confused to go for a second hand civic or new Diesel rapid, or some diesel car of same budget.

Civic:
PROS:
Awesome looks,
Honda Reliability,
Premium D Segment Car in such an attractive price,[cheers]
What more i can say..

Cons:
Average, as it is a petrol car can anybody throw light on Civic Mileage....
Low Ground Clearance

Skoda Rapid Diesel:
Pros:
New Car, No maintenance
Diesel mileage close to 18-19 km/l

Cons:
Skoda reputation in A.S.S
not comparable to Civic in Looks, And Space

And moreover i Dont like buying new cars as i like to change them in 2-3 years, so buying new car leads to hefty loans, and moreover keeping the car for more time as you cant convince your family that why you want to sell the perfect moving car at so much depreciated price....[frustration]

So plz help guys Particularly emphasizing on Civic and other premium D segment car which i can get in this range....

Last edited by a moderator:

350Z

Core Team
Re: Confusion... Need Help

You have to make up the mind first whether you want a Petrol or Diesel. If you’re satisfied with existing car then I don’t see a point in selling it off. I’d advice a Diesel for this much of running though.

So plz help guys Particularly emphasizing on Civic and other premium D segment car which i can get in this range.
Plenty of D-Segment cars are available in this range (Hyundai Sonata, Honda Accord, Skoda Octavia etc). Just pinpoint whether you really “need” one while keeping in mind about their maintenance cost aspect as well.

Drive Safe,
350Z

lxi.

Suspended
Re: Confusion... Need Help

Go and Get yourself a Skoda Rapid if you are confused between the civic and Rapid as the civic is after all a petrol and Being a second hand one, it would be giving some niggles as compared to brand new skoda rapid.
I also had the dilemma of Buying a second hand(swift) or new car (alto), my bro bought a preworshipped swift and had sold it within one year because it was giving constant niggles (one day, the car wouldnt start, other day, foglamp bulb fused, next day,headlight not working, etc etc) and I am Happy with My alto lxi( new). Afterall a new car is a new car. No niggles, issues, less maintanence, everything under warranty.

As your running is 70km a day, The civic being a petrol , returning a max. mileage of 12 kmpl (average 11.9kmpl), would be very expensive for the fuel it will swallow![confused]

As the skoda's Brand reputation is already bad in the market, with bad After sales, check some reputed brands also.

I would suggest- (according to priority)
1.Toyota Etios VD(nice overall car)
2.Tata Manza Aura Quadrajet ABS (space,space and space)
3.Ford Fiesta Classic CLxi (a bit less on space as compared to manza but atleast ample than Dzire)
4.Swift Dzire VDi (but you will have to compromise on space)

Good Luck!

yes i agree its quite a dilemma second hand civics no wonder are so popular - only people who have driven it will relate to it though. Once u have driven it takes u over. Even i own a second hand civic and hence coming from my experience.

Firstly the facts my manual civic gives about 11-13 in city and between 13-15.5 in highways - off course i drive sedately normally and that is very difficult with the civic! The suspension bottoming out is easily fixable by installing a cheap spacer. Let me know if u need information on this.

if driving pleasure tops ur list then civic it is, but please be ready to foot the petrol bills.
If fuel efficiency and petrol bills are important then forget it and go for a diesel rather.

hi! i would like to say is that

for buying new rapid diesel you have to stretch your budget.

it seems that you love to drive hence you will enjoy civic far better.

not only a.s.s. but pre sales service is also pathetic of skoda. i booked skoda and cancelled it. can you imagin? sales person of skoda told me that he had obliged me by booking the car.

honda cars are known for low maintenance and very good engine life. hence buying second hand civic is a safer bet.

if you can afford petrol car you must go for a civic.

hence i vote for civic. and dont buy rapid instead buy vento. ford fiesta classic will be a cheaper option if you want diesel car.

Civic is good, pls try to put LPG. With LPG it will give you mileage around 14 km/kg. (LPG is 42 rs/Kg) or May be CNG (if available)
which will save your furl cost.Only initial kit investment will be there.

PS:You can get a good second hand T-jet or diesel Linea also.

LPG in Civic ????
Please dont, u r destroying the DNA of the car.

If fuel efficiency is a concern go for a cheaper diesel rather.

Thread Starter #8
Re: Need Help – Used Honda Civic or New Skoda Rapid?

Civic is good, pls try to put LPG. With LPG it will give you mileage around 14 km/kg. (LPG is 42 rs/Kg) or May be CNG (if available)
which will save your furl cost.Only initial kit investment will be there.

PS:You can get a good second hand T-jet or diesel Linea also.
As i m living in Delhi, CNG is easily available here. But don't want to take chances with Civic by fitting Cng Kit in it. , and in past i had some good and bad experiences with Cng that was fitted in my Accent.
Due to the bad experience i never fitted the Cng in my city ZX, So Not sure of fitting it in CIvic.

Is there any person who can throw light on CNG in Civic....[confused]

Thread Starter #9

yes i agree its quite a dilemma second hand civics no wonder are so popular - only people who have driven it will relate to it though. Once u have driven it takes u over. Even i own a second hand civic and hence coming from my experience.

Firstly the facts my manual civic gives about 11-13 in city and between 13-15.5 in highways - off course i drive sedately normally and that is very difficult with the civic! The suspension bottoming out is easily fixable by installing a cheap spacer. Let me know if u need information on this.

if driving pleasure tops ur list then civic it is, but please be ready to foot the petrol bills.
If fuel efficiency and petrol bills are important then forget it and go for a diesel rather.
Can you throw light on your Civic, i.e which model you bought and at what price?? I think i am really bending towards my heart which says Civic.
And to my surprise i saw an ad for a sewcond hand civic 2008 model, 1st owner , 34k on odo.. and u Knw what price the person had quoted..... 5.50 Lacs only...... [surprise]

Thinking of geting in touch with that person asap.....

Better to choose Diesel Rapid than Petrol Civic.
We have a 2007 Civic and fully satisfied with it, except the low GC. FE is best in its class (11~13kmpl Average) and maintenance is almost same as City ZX (we have both the cars)
I did TD of Rapid and found the comfort level is at par with City. If comfort is your requirement, with blind eyes go for Civic.

But,

For your running (70km+ / day) it is wise to choose a diesel.

for ur kind of running, better opt for new skoda rapid, its fun to drive car, superb engine to drive around, even better low end torque compared to vento.Yes its said many a times about skoda's ass and yes not up to the mark with other players but with their now launch of rapid which would cater more share of sales compared to their lineup, they would definately pull their socks up.Have seen few friends using skoda vehicles and havent heard any shocking issues related to ASs part.

Can you throw light on your Civic, i.e which model you bought and at what price?? I think i am really bending towards my heart which says Civic.
And to my surprise i saw an ad for a sewcond hand civic 2008 model, 1st owner , 34k on odo.. and u Knw what price the person had quoted..... 5.50 Lacs only...... [surprise]

Thinking of geting in touch with that person asap.....
Check out below thread for my review, btw tht deal u r seeing sounds too good to be true for a good condition car, check it out nevertheless :-

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...some-civic-sense-buying-ownership-review.html

Any updates buddy? Have you purchased the car?

I think for your daily running of 70+ Kms you should go in for a diesel. Instead of going in for a second hand civic, why not the refreshed new honda city. If its a petrol thats my suggestion. If it's a diesel my suggestions are:
1. Cruze (second hand)
2. Rapid/ Vento (Skoda vs VW) I would say VW for better brand value IMO and better music system and sterring mounted controls etc
3.Verna CRDI (Great car packed with features. Stunner in the looks department. Only drawback is its not a great car in handling it will not give you confidence on the highway)
4. Fiat Linea- Great handling and will suit your highway driving
5. Fiesta Classic Diesel- VFM!!!
Hope this helps

Thread Starter #15

Any updates buddy? Have you purchased the car?
I am searching for Civic right now, and i had already seen atleast 5-6 civics in last 1 month. But till now i didn't get the right car.
I dont know y, but out of 6 civics atleast 3-4 Civics had their front armrest's lock broken. And in some civics the ac was not effective.
Saw 1 good civic in Mahindra First choice but rate he is quoting is too high. its a black civic 06, model 49000 driven for 7.5 lacs..[frustration]. I think its way too high for a 6 year old civic

Still search is on, in the mean time my cousin purchased a second hand Tata Safari, 08 top model, 40k driven for 4.8 lacs. So got tempted and in the meanwile also startd searching for Safari. Lets see what comes to my Garage..[;)]

Top Bottom