Getting a Second Hand Car within 2 Lakhs Maximum; Bought Maruti Alto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Guys

my name is Aneesh,from Kerala,Planning to get a second hand car for learning driving,planning to get an Alto Lxi.

Went to maruti True Value today

They showed me An Alto Lxi 2006 Model ran 70000kms for 1.80L with A/C,Power Windows,Power Steering,Life Tax,insurance along with 1 year warranty for all parts excluding clutch plates and 3 free services.

Is this a good deal?The car looked good,No signs of accidents or anything,dash board looked like new, tires need replacement,Planning to get good alloys and rubber too.:) All within a budget of 2L maximum,I am an 18year old student,so my budget is limited.I am 6.1" will it be a problem? Help me guys.Is there any other good options for me?

Thanks in advance.:)

Re: Getting a Second Hand car within 2L maximum

This deal is good Aneesh bring the price to max 1.50 and then put decent alloys and rubbers,

Being 6.1 is a bit of a chore getting in and out but its enough for learning.

Why excluding clutch plates?

If you are seeing for other options means there would probably be ZEN upto 06 model
OR
Why not give a try for Nano 2012 CX version? it will come under 2 lakhs range with an a/c? its positioned high were you can drive freely considering your height plus you ll be an 1st owner of the small machine.

Thread Starter #3

This deal is good Aneesh bring the price to max 1.50 and then put decent alloys and rubbers,
Yes bro,I am also planning to do the same,even i think 1.60~1.70 will be still fine,balance 30 will be enough for tyres and rubber? Planning to get 13" alloys and 155/65-13 tires.[;)]

Being 6.1 is a bit of a chore getting in and out but its enough for learning.
Entered the car today,Found no problems,but fearing that will it be bad for long drives? I dont have any long drives,but still would like to know about it.

Why excluding clutch plates?
Dont know,He said some clutch and Axle.All others are included in warranty.

If you are seeing for other options means there would probably be ZEN upto 06 model
Pretty hard to find Zen here for 2L,Found one yesterday and it was 3L for a 1lakh kms done car.[cry]
OR
Why not give a try for Nano 2012 CX version? it will come under 2 lakhs range with an a/c? its positioned high were you can drive freely considering your height plus you ll be an 1st owner of the small machine.
Me and my dad personally dont like nano.:) Every time it passes me,it gives me an Ape rikshaw feel.[lol]

Thread Starter #4

Also known from a friend that another dealer has 3 more Alto Lxi with them,Will be going there tomorrow and will check it.:) What are the major things to be checked?

Last edited:

Dear Aneesh:
Welcome to TAI.
Well,since you are over 6 feet so I'd never advise you to go for an Alto,you may get comfy but your rear passengers will suffer from shortage of space in that case,instead why don't you try to get a used Wagon-R or a Santro,these may fall in your budget and if you try to find the car in open market instead of true value then you will get true VFM cars,for 1.5-2 lacs you can easily get a Wagon-R or Santro with near about 50k kms on odo.The petrol prices have simply spoilt the resale values of these cars and there are chances that in January there will be one more price hike.
So if you can wait then I'd advise you to simply follow the 'wait and watch' policy and you will get the sweetest of the deals in the open market,for me this Alto is obscenely over-priced(at least here in Delhi it is),rest in your area I can't comment to that extent.

Thread Starter #6

Ok,Will look for Santro and Wagaon R tomorrow,What about Santro's maintenance? How is it when compared to maruti vehicles?What about the spares?What mileage can i expect from a santro?

Also known from a friend that another dealer has 3 more Alto Lxi with them,Will be going there tomorrow and will check it.:) What are the major things to be checked?
This thread might help you have a look at this before deciding:
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...pecting-second-hand-car-exhaustive-guide.html

Ok,Will look for Santro and Wagaon R tomorrow,What about Santro's maintenance? How is it when compared to maruti vehicles?What about the spares?What mileage can i expect from a santro?
Hyundai's spares cost are lower than Maruti but the service cost is much expensive than Maruti.Santro's maintenance would mainly depend on the condition,miles done etc etc.From Mileage point of view you can expect 12-13kmpl in city conditions and 15-17 in highways that's all.

that case,instead why don't you try to get a used Wagon-R or a Santro,these may fall in your budget and if you try to find the car in open market instead of true value then you will get true VFM cars,for 1.5-2 lacs you can easily get a Wagon-R or Santro with near about 50k kms on odo.The petrol prices have simply spoilt the resale values of these cars and there are chances that in January there will be one more price hike.
So if you can wait then I'd advise you to simply follow the 'wait and watch' policy and you will get the sweetest of the deals in the open market,for me this Alto is obscenely over-priced(at least here in Delhi it is),rest in your area I can't comment to that extent.
Dude here in south WagonR and Xing are priced above 2 lacs and they will be run for more than 50k kms so its not advisable for him to try those or maybe he can find 2000-2005 first and second gen santro as well as WagonR which may probably need major technical works or something connected with that.And moreover Alto will be good for first time drivers.

Thread Starter #9

Guys is 155/65-13R a perfect upsize for alto? Will there be any scraping issues? Also let me know the price of good tyres in this size available now.:)

I'm 5'10" and the Alto is really uncomfortable. Anyone taller should not consider it. BTW 2006 is the pre-face lift model. The facelifted model is better looking. I sold my 2008 model for 2L. Better look for these models as the price difference is not much.

Dear Aneesh
How about a used premier padmini for 30 grand and spend another 20 or so in souping it up-you will enjoy this more (my personel take) than the Alto/other cars and you will save a lot of money
cheers

Dear Aneesh
How about a used premier padmini for 30 grand and spend another 20 or so in souping it up-you will enjoy this more (my personel take) than the Alto/other cars and you will save a lot of money
cheers
Yes he will save a lot of money and spends hell lot on maintenance!

It's better to go for used 800 than fiat.

Thread Starter #13

Guys is 155/65-13R a perfect upsize for alto? Will there be any scraping issues? Also let me know the price of good tyres in this size available now.:)
No one to help???[confused]

I'm 5'10" and the Alto is really uncomfortable. Anyone taller should not consider it.
Are you fat or slim?[confused]

BTW 2006 is the pre-face lift model. The facelifted model is better looking. I sold my 2008 model for 2L. Better look for these models as the price difference is not much.
As my max budget it 2L i should include new set of tires and alloys and some general service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom