Tata Nano OR Maruti Baleno OR Esteem? Booked Nano

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hello frnds

Now i have maruti800, but i am planing to change. and i m confused what to do[frustration]
options are New cars: -
1. Nano Petrol
2. Nano Diesel (not announced by tata yet, pls let me know if anyone know about this)
if any other cheap car is their.

Old cars: -
1. Maruti Baleno
2. Maruti Esteem
3. Ikon flair
if any other maintenance wise cheap car is their. budget 1.5 lac. MAX.
(if i'll buy one of these, then i'll install lpg kit) IS LPG KITS ARE SAFE

I am working in chandigarh, and usually i go to my village in Punjab(about 300kms away) after 1-2months.
running kms/year is about 10k-12k.
please give your suggestions.

regards

Manpreet Singh

Dear Manpreet, Welcome aboard and have a pleasant stay at TAI.

Well, I would suggest have a look at new Alto or EON rather than used Baleno or Esteem. In fact, if budget is limited go for a used Santro, Wagon-R or Alto. Nano is not something which is for the long drive as such (person opinion) or for village roads.

Do spend some time at the Introductions thread and introduce yourself.

All the best.

The cars you are considering are in different classes.

The advantage you will have with the Nano is that it is new, which means all defects are to be covered under warranty.

I personally love the Nano and when I am over in India and spend much more time than I can at present I will buy a Nano.

I don't want to brag in any way as money and status symbols are meaningless for me. However, we had at home Porsche 911s, Audi A8s, Mercedes E and S class.

I just think the Nano is fun even if it is the cheapest car in the world.

Hi Manpreet,

Welcome to The Automotive India.

Now i have maruti800, but i am planing to change. and i m confused what to do[frustration]
options are New cars: -
1. Nano Petrol
2. Nano Diesel (not announced by tata yet, pls let me know if anyone know about this)
Since you will be travelling on a long stretch, better stay away from Nano. Long drives with small engines is never a great experience.

if any other cheap car is their.

Old cars: -
1. Maruti Baleno
2. Maruti Esteem
3. Ikon flair
if any other maintenance wise cheap car is their. budget 1.5 lac. MAX.
(if i'll buy one of these, then i'll install lpg kit) IS LPG KITS ARE SAFE
Strike off Baleno from that list, if you are looking for cheap maintenance. Go for an Esteem which you will find within your budget.

Since you will be travelling on a long stretch, better stay away from Nano. Long drives with small engines is never a great experience.
I have driven small cars in Europe at several occasions between 1600 and 2000km in less than 48 hours and can't complain. I have driven the lower powered Nano and would feel comfortable to drive lonmg distances with it.

I have driven small cars in Europe at several occasions between 1600 and 2000km in less than 48 hours and can't complain. I have driven the lower powered Nano and would feel comfortable to drive lonmg distances with it.
That's just my personal opinion since i find my Alto's under-powered engine a pain while driving on long stretches[:D].

Hello Manpreet welcome to TAI. Well stay away from Nano if you will be using it at highways. Not because its small and wont be comfortable but its not safe enough! Also the engine will run out of breath soon in the highways.

Why don't you considered a used Santro or Wagon-R?

@manpreetvicky

A strict No-No to Nano(This is something half hearted product read "Janta Car" like Janta Thali at railway station " sorry owners i did not mean to offend someone" / Estilo( i have driven a 6 month old 1500 km. driven car, it felt like sitting inside a tin can with engine with cheap quality all over inside and out, Alto is thousand times better than this).

Better go for any used Wagon R / Spark . Don't buy any used sedan of this price range, it will not be lighter on pocket later and will make you visit workshops frequently.

That's just my personal opinion since i find my Alto's under-powered engine a pain while driving on long stretches[:D].
any car short of a Buggatti, McLaren, Porsche, Lamborghini... you can call under-powered. My mother used to be a rally driver and gave other drivers a good run for their money in 13bhp Fiat 500. It is a matter of using what you have got.

The last time I heard this comment at a chassis dyno day,when the owner of a 74bhp Peugeot complained of lack of performance I showed him about performance. 74bhp properly used later he left the car shaking and I have never heard any comment of that sort from him.

Being a long standing performance tuner I can safely say that most of the people can't even utilise what they have got. 53bhp per ton is not as bad as many people want to make out. When I test drove with the dealer he could not believe what is in the Nano when used properly.

its not safe enough!
Passive safety will not get you anywhere in India when a stupid/careless bus driver decides to to have a rendezvous on your side of the road. The Indian version Nano passed the equivalent of early Ncap crash tests in the UK. However, active safety is the only way to survive - not only in India. I have six Fiat Cinquecentos and Seicentos, which are less safe than the Nano. Most of them are tuned and two are tuned substantially. I still feel safe enough to use them to their power capabilities.

I look rather at improving my driving skills to avoid accidents, which includes observing the traffic and driving accordingly. I only push it hard when it is safe, which is the reason why I am still alive.

@manpreetvicky

A strict No-No to Nano(This is something half hearted product read "Janta Car" like Janta Thali at railway station " sorry owners i did not mean to offend someone" / Estilo( i have driven a 6 month old 1500 km. driven car, it felt like sitting inside a tin can with engine with cheap quality all over inside and out, Alto is thousand times better than this).
I would consider the Alto a cheap tin can too as I would a lot of European cars.

@ drifter Yes i am not meaning to say Nano is a bad car! I would have happily recommended Nano if the thread starter was to use the car only inside city mostly. I somehow feel Nano is not the car for highway duties. And i feel a Santro or a Wagon-R is better in the highways compared to a Nano.

Manpreet , Nano isn't bad car for you especially 2012 upgrade considering 1000km average run per month. In Pros you don't incur maintenance cost and has a good mileage. In Cons -I don't think it is preferable on Punjab highways esp. at night. Otherwise it can zip comfortably at 60-80km/hr.

However I would suggest you to consider a used Alto, Santro or Wagon R in good condition.

@ mods
What is this thread doing in this section, doesn't it belong to Automotive shoppers segment?

@manpreet
Wait till auto expo and buy nano diesel, that would be the best choice for you!

Dear Manpreet,

At present scenario. Diesel cars rocks [thumbsup]. Considering nano diesel will definitely a good option. Do consider fiat diesel cars in used car category.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom