Hyundai Verna Diesel or Skoda Rapid Diesel? Which is Better?

Hyundai Verna Fluidic vs Skoda Rapid Diesel

• Total voters
With less price you get old plain design, mixed looks of Fabia + Vento, not so proven product, heavily priced spares, costlier servicing etc etc .

Hyundai Verna
Price of 7 - 10.6 lakhs

+Ve:
Great looks.
Safety - 6 airbags, ABS + EBD, all wheel disc brakes etc.
Ride quality & Handeling in the city
1.6L and 1.4L torquey diesel engiene
Fully loaded with features like reversing camera, key-less entry, electric folding mirrors etc

-Ve:
High speed handling is not that good
Suspension is soft so little bit bumpy at high speeds
Waiting period
Top end costly versions

Skoda Rapid
Price of 6.75 - 9.20 Lakhs

+Ve:
Solid built , but old looks
Excellent diesel engine total VFM
Good ride & handling
Low price with many features

-Ve:
Skoda's ass
No steering mounted controls, USB stereo, parking sensors etc
Compact rear seat
Petrol engine is not that impressive

Personally, i would love to choose Rapid over Verna. Like Vibhor said, it would be better if you could a few question in the said thread.

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I found exactly the thread I was looking for.

I am also trying to decide between these 2 cars. Having an SX4 ZXi at present. Running 1,200 kms per month, 50% highway. Need a Diesel.

I recently test drove the Nissan Sunny XV Diesel, Skoda Rapid Ambition and Hyundai 1.6 CDRi VGT.

Sunny observations
1) The Nissan Sunny is packed with features and I liked it.
2) Back legroom is awesome.
3) However, the power seems less and
4) I did not like the braking at all.
OTR Mumbai comes to 10.89Lacs for the XV version

Rapid observations
1) The Skoda Rapid is good. My dad liked this because the build quality seems solid.
2) No steering controls though.
3) Rear middle floor hump very pronounced. Did not like.
4) It has good brakes and good power.
5) The seating was comfortable but I would have liked some space besides the clutch to rest my foot.
6) However the steering and handling as well as gears were good. No complaints.
OTR Mumbai 10.4Lacs for the Ambition and 11.45Lacs for Elegance. I find the prices are very high considering that features are much less and the Ambition does not even have a music system!!! However the warranty can be 2+2yrs and 80K kms, thats good.

Verna Observations
Lastly took TD of Verna 1.6 CRdi Ex (with reverse camera). I really liked it.
1) Excellent look
2) Good power.
3) Brakes were not as good as Rapid I felt but much better than Sunny.
4) There is a dead pedal. Like that.
5) Noise inside the cabin is very less.
6) Rear space I felt was less than Rapid.
7) The steering was very "light", not solid. Not the most responsive.
But the car is expensive too. OTR Mumbai 11.20Lacs. This one is w/o alloys and has single airbag. The next higher one costs 12Lacs. Warranty is only 2+1Yrs and 60K kms. Isnt' it less compared to competition? Hyundai not sure of their engines??

In the past I have also test driven the Vento but I found it uncomfortable for my height, 6'2". I had to take the seat all the way back and down to get a proper seating position.

The DZire is also good but maybe the back space not as comfortable.

I have also driven a relative's Manza and was comfortable with the ride, handling, power but felt space to be a bit less up front when I compared to my SX4.

So I think it would boil to Rapid vs Verna

My dad would prefer Rapid and I would the Verna.

Car would normally be driven by me and 50% on highway. I have read a lot about body roll and not so great ride of Verna on the highway, is this true? I generally drive at speeds of 90-110Kmph, max to 140kmph. Many a time I have to overtake the trucks from left at 100kmph and need to swerve left to right. Is the body roll really bad? Never have had this problem in SX4.

Please give your advices.

@MODS:Can you please add a poll to this thread???
Let me make a small comparo between both the cars based on my own experience(Note:I haven't mentioned FE and maintenance as both depends upon the driver):-

Hyundai Fluidic Verna:-

Advantages:
  • Smashing looks.
  • Long feature list.
  • Interior design and quality.
  • Low speed/in-city driving manners.
  • ABS+6 airbags for safety.
  • Quite good fit and finish.

Disadvantages:
  • Smashing looks-Now quite common and the rear looks quite awkward.
  • Long feature list-Half of them useless.
  • Low speed/in-city driving manners-But high speed manners are very very nervous and the brakes kill the confidence further,despite being all 4 discs.
  • 6 airbags for safety-Overall build quality needs even 6 more.
  • Engine is powerful on paper,but in real world,it needs a better gearbox.
  • Rear seat is really uncomfy,in fact even Fabia is more comfy than Verna here.
  • Dynamically this car is very much compromised,yes,at lower speeds this car is fantastic,but on highways its just....

Skoda Rapid TDI:-

Advantages:
  • Tough built.
  • Strong brakes.
  • Good dynamics and hence fantastic on moderate and high speeds(60+ kph)
  • Comfy rear seat.
  • Very much responsive engine and hence fantastic to drive in city too,true ease of driving is offered.In fact this engine is more responsive than even of Laura,Cruze and Jetta etc.
  • Decent interior quality with great fit and finish.
  • Fantastic ergonomics.

Disadvantages:
  • Low on features,but has nearly all essential ones.
  • No steering mounted controls.
  • Plain exterior and interiors,hence no sportiness in design.But this plain design never fades too.
  • Engine isn't as much refined and silent as of Verna.In fact Verna has got the most refined and silent diesel engine with most linear power delivery in this segment as compared to the spiky power delivery of VW 1.6 TDI engine.
  • High tunnel in the middle makes it quite uncomfy for the middle passenger on rear seat.
  • Costlier spares,but still not as costly as the people are scared.

OVERALL,MY CHOICE IS RAPID ANY DAY,WHY?BECAUSE I DRIVE MYSELF AND HENCE WANT MY CAR TO DRIVE WITH AN EASE.

If Skoda After Sales Service is not concerned then go for Rapid. Though it is cheaper than Verna but you will not get the goodies you get in the Fluidic. Also the side looks like Vento and front looks like Fabia; but rear is some what different. The cuts on the boot looks different but good. Design looks good too. Looks tough.

Overall my choice will be the Verna [:D]
Frankly speaking good VFM car. You go for the SX version you get almost all things. Dual Airbags; All disc breaks; ABS; Central Locking; ACC; Rear Camera; Parking Sensors; Stearing Audio Control; Automatic Mirrors; 5Alloys Stunning looks etc. (I might have missed some more things too..)

Last edited:

Top Bottom