Best Diesel Hatch?

Thread Starter #1
Hi all!
1. I am new to this site and am planning to buy a diesel hatch which is going to be my first car.

2. My requirements:
(a) Powerful engine.
(b) Sturdy exteriors (punto types).
(c) Stable suspension.
(d) Good ICE.

3. Shortlisted cars:
(a) Punto 90 bhp
(b) Polo

4. Problem areas which i am not very sure whether they actually exist:

(a) Punto
(i) Too sluggish below 2k rpm?
(ii) Atrocious ICE ( i am ready to spend extra money for
changing the head unit, speakers, amp and a sub woofer but
read somewhere that the steering mounted controls wont be
functional anymore if i do that. Is it true?

(b) Polo
(i) The 3 cyl engine.
(ii) 8 valves per cyl?
(iii) Is it true that a new polo sports version is about to be
launched soon with 135 hp? May be ill wait till then!

5. Not incl in choices:

(a) Swift : I don't like the interior/exterior feel despite the fact
that its actually very swift.
(b) Liva : No power, bad interiors and 08 valves per cyl.

6. Thanks for your time. Any suggestions are welcome [:)]

Hi Jack Holiday, welcome to TAI. Here is my take..

1. Ford Figo TDCI - Proven engine, space & mileage. Ford's service has also improved considerably. The new top end version (titatnium) has more gadgets. However, it lacks the quality, like in the Polo. The fit & finish, the plastics and design (fusion like)

2. Hyundai i20 - Gem of an engine, umpteen features, space and mileage. Cons - MASS has increased their labour charges again. So, its going to drill a big hole in your pocket, everytime you get it serviced

3. Polo - Neat design, refreshed model (breeze) guess includes GPS etc, superior interiors. Cons - limited VW service centers, rear leg space is pathetic and as you mentioned, 3 pot engine. Makes a hell a lot of noise.

4. Punto - Have a look at one of our members (Raj) punto. You'll end up buying it blindly.

5. Chevrolet beat - VFM.

My vote : Hyundai i20.

Good luck with your search and do keep us updated.

Welcome to TAI Jack Holiday,as per your requirements you can go with Punto or i20,both the cars are good when it comes to power and features.

I20 is a good car with power,features and good space,but the steering rattling issues is not rectified by the company,and the service costs are more like avindu said.

Punto 90hp is a great car to drive and goes at par with i20 when compared,the interiors are not like i20 and the main drawback is the below par A.S.S(as it is taken care by Tata)

Hi all!
1. I am new to this site and am planning to buy a diesel hatch which is going to be my first car.

2. My requirements:
(a) Powerful engine(punto 90 hp is most powerful engine in any hatch )
(b) Sturdy exteriors (punto types).(as u mention my vote also goes to punto )
(c) Stable suspension.(new swift suspension is great ,body role is also minimum ,same with punto as well )
(d) Good ICE.(swift oem unit most decent 1 i ever seen in any hatch with decent bass )

3. Shortlisted cars:
(a) Punto 90 bhp(good car but i think there is sluggishness in only 2nd gear that only upto 2k rpm then after 2krpm it run like bullet
(b) Polo( its a good looking car but i personally didn't like 3 cylinder engine it hell lots of noisy .
see i my self booked swift zdi because its complete drivers car and i love the suspension there is no body roll which almost carried me away , but waiting period is biggest drawback and also small boot except these 2 think i love swift let me tell u i booked a swift zdi in august and waiting for the delivery i think its will take more 2 month or even more to deliver.
so if i dont get my car till December then i will plan to own a punto 90hp .
as u said that u don't like swift look,s then go for PUNTO 90 hp its great car but do go test drive first and see which car suits u best . best of luck [thumbsup]

2. My requirements:
(a) Powerful engine.
(b) Sturdy exteriors (punto types).
(c) Stable suspension.
(d) Good ICE.

3. Shortlisted cars:
(a) Punto 90 bhp
(b) Polo

Judging by your requirements, you will most probably like only Punto, Fabia & Polo but only Punto comes with a 4 cylinder diesel engine.

but power does not always mean good engine response. punto suffers from poor gear ratios, especially first & second gear.

Polo & Fabia feels more responsive (and noisy) however Punto has better top end because of more power.

4. Problem areas which i am not very sure whether they actually exist:

(a) Punto
(i) Too sluggish below 2k rpm?
you are right. however not very evident in 3rd & 4th gear.

(ii) Atrocious ICE ( i am ready to spend extra money for
changing the head unit, speakers, amp and a sub woofer but
read somewhere that the steering mounted controls wont be
functional anymore if i do that. Is it true?
Not an issue. Read my thread, I have upgraded my Punto's ICE & everything works.

My Pintu's ownership report.

6. Thanks for your time. Any suggestions are welcome [:)]
Check the i20 too. not got the heavy build but has got loads of power.

4. Punto - Have a look at one of our members (Raj) punto. You'll end up buying it blindly.
why so buddy?

Punto 90hp is a great car to drive and goes at par with i20 when compared,the interiors are not like i20 and the main drawback is the below par A.S.S(as it is taken care by Tata)
I forgot about this. Both VW & FIAT has poor A.S.S.

(punto 90 hp is most powerful engine in any hatch )
There used to be Getz diesel with 110 bhp ... WOW!

Last edited:
is it? really? I have always recokned that Punto looks better from rear! [evil]
[lol] great buddy! IMO too it looks stylish from rear.

Sorry for OT.

2 cents - go for Punto, you would not regret the decision. Service is a bit of a hassle but it is not expensive.

Well,a Punto any day,after all there is not hatch with such a brilliant ride and handling and the body control is simply the best.

@Jack:
Why don't you consider a Ritz VDi ABS?

Thread Starter #10
Thanks shubham, avindu and vishwas for your useful inputs. To be honest, i am inclined towards going for punto 90 hp! I was worried about its sluggishness but that is only in first two gears. I will mostly be going for long drives so that wont be much of a problem!
raj , I have read your extensive write up on punto and i must say you have covered it in detail. Thanks for clearing my query about the ICE. And thats a beautiful car you got mod! Are those alloys available in pune? I know ive not even bought it yet but already i am on with the day-dreaming thing about it!

TSIvipul, ritz's exteriors are wonky. To me it looks like somebdy made a big dent on that rear! Looks are important to me, so it is out of the league.

Ill be trying to get a TD on punto and I20 this sunday! ( and i sincerely hope punto turns out to be a better drive )[drive]

Yes, do a test drive, thats the best.

Sadly, I dont think those alloys are available in Pune, but I can give you better options which was not available when bought my car. check out alloywheelsindia.com, note that you have to check for 15" 98 PCD wheels. You will get muti pcd wheels (98+100).

Thread Starter #14
Have you guys heard about Pete's box? I wonder how the hell can it incr the power output of veh! It must be some kind of extension of the ECM and must be doing some harm to the engine. Any idea??

Top Bottom