Need Help Deciding My Third Car - Mitsubishi Lancer

Thread Starter #1

zengetz

Suspended
TAI-GERS !

Im very inclined on my next car that Im deciding to purchase and it points towards a Mitsubishi lancer (Diesel).

My Getz CRDI is fast approaching 40k kms and I do not want to drive it everyday after 45k KMS. Call me crazy but I just love my car too much and have kept it in Showroom Condition for the past 2 years. I am never going to sell it come what may. I'd use it may be twice a week and keep it covered :)

So, I commute 60KMs everyday in City (Home-Office-Home) and Petrol is out of the question.

I do not want to go for a Hatch for the next car and considered a Sedan and Only the choice I had were with a budget of 5 Lakhs (Decent Used car if Available)

1. Ford Fiesta
2. Skoda Octavia

Im looking for decent fuel economy anything ~12-15 is okay.
Good power
Comfort and Space

But then it Struck ! Why not get THE CAR that I had always loved and is still a head turner - THE LANCER !!

I know it would probably be very difficult to get the best conditioned and looking car out of the box so Iam okay to pick up a car that is available in a decent condition and spice it up.

1. Compete Engine Overhaul
2. Repaint - Black
3. Full Black Interiors
4. Good Alloy Wheels
5. Suspension Work if required
5. ICE - Later on as priority #1 is Engine #2 Body Work

Im not a big fan of Loudly modified rides, Im the Wolf in Sheep Skin kind of guy. So the car should look Deadly Modest but if proved should be a hardhitter.

The end result would be like the pic below - Pic courtesy Autopsyche

Guys let me know your inputs and best practices on getting the Lancer and what I need to watch out for. This will be my primary car.

Attachments

350Z

Core Team
You wish to buy another car simply for the fact that you want to maintain the Getz almost like new? Really, Kilometres do not count here as long as one is caring well of their car and performing all the repairs / servicing etc. on time. Nevertheless, if you are keen to own a Lancer for daily use, then I would recommend visiting the following threads. We’ve discussed about Pre-owned Lancers in quite a detail. In-case you still have any particular questions, Please feel free to put ‘em up here.

- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-mitsubishi-lancer-slxi.html?highlight=lancer
- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ed-help-making-decision.html?highlight=lancer
- http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...er-slxi-limited-edition.html?highlight=lancer

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #5

zengetz

Suspended
Octy will be expensive..dude you can also consider city or else lancer rocks! ilangos lancer was good..take some inspiration!! [;)]
True, the reason I opted out of the Octavia is the maintenance costs and read across everywhere of their service center woes.

I need advise on the Diesel Lancer engine. The New City would have been hands down my choice but alas its Petrol which I have opted out off.

I saw ilangos Lancer threads and Yep Lancer rocks !

@ilango, looking at the pic above, how much do you think it would cost to get the same kind of Widebody for the lancer ?

Thread Starter #7

zengetz

Suspended
Diesel engined lancer is not a driver's car.But it will be light on your pocket.[:D]
Dude, I was reading through and the diesel engine has only 65BHP on a 2000cc engine[frustration]

Petrol is ~85BHP on a 1.5 Engine

So now driving my 110BHP car and downsizing to 65, not gonna be pleased !

Man ! Back to square one !

Yeah brother,that's the problem.
The diesel motor produces only 66PS of power.And a it takes a long 21.3s to reach 100kmph from standstill.[sad]
But it has a low running cost.

Thread Starter #9

zengetz

Suspended
Yeh Arjun - It would be like slow motion compared to my present. So I'll hav eto work on the costs and see if Petrol makes sense factoring I can pick up the car for a lesser price than the diesel variant and level the maintenance costs year on year.

Thats my home work today [:D]

Octy will be expensive..dude you can also consider city or else lancer rocks! ilangos lancer was good..take some inspiration!! [;)]
True, the reason I opted out of the Octavia is the maintenance costs and read across everywhere of their service center woes.
The Octy is not that expensive to maintain. The engine is extremely reliable and fuel efficient.
The Skoda service is not as bad as made out to be. There was a case of one dealer which was overhyped by another forum. They are too many satisfied Skoda customers.

I need advise on the Diesel Lancer engine. The New City would have been hands down my choice but alas its Petrol which I have opted out off.
Diesel engined lancer is not a driver's car.But it will be light on your pocket.[:D]
The Lancer Diesel Engine is a very outdated unit. Not powerful, not very fuel efficient and un-refined

Thread Starter #11

zengetz

Suspended
Hi Peter - yeh looks like I need to do my homework now and re-work on things. The Diesel Lancer is out of the equation. What's your take on the Petrol Engine ? I saw a classified for a Petrol one very very neat car and owner claims to have done complete engine work, suspension and new tires (With Alloys) - 1.9 negotiable - Cant say much unless I see it in the flesh.

I saw ilangos Lancer threads and Yep Lancer rocks !

@ilango, looking at the pic above, how much do you think it would cost to get the same kind of Widebody for the lancer ?

Lancer in one cool car to own up.
the comfort is so good in it , that you will love to max.

the diesel engine is not so modern in it. and so you can find some vibrations creeping in.

apart from that it will not be as quick as getz , but as fast as getz.

lancer is mod friendly , both for loud and subtle.

the interior too mod friendly for two tone painting.

Comming on to maintenance.
its damn cheap to maintain a lancer than a octy.

Lancer spares are available in normal spare shops like in coimbatore and chennai.

since its full mechanical engine , its much more reliable than a ecmed car.
i mean , if at all you are duped in 2nd hand car market , you get to lighter on pocket to bring her back to life.

Wide body kit as of autophyse is available only with them and i hope they cost 40 to 45 unpainted.
cheap relica's are not worth.

we dont just copy the exact model. But can work on new design. all we need more than money is TIME.

our normal skirts cost 24k , spoiler 6k . combined we can give for 27k , painted.

What's your take on the Petrol Engine ? I saw a classified for a Petrol one very very neat car and owner claims to have done complete engine work, suspension and new tires (With Alloys) - 1.9 negotiable - Cant say much unless I see it in the flesh.
Petrol Lancer is a good base car for mods. Otherwise not much to talk about. Of course it is based on the great rally car but sadly the Indian version was under spec'd. Somehow I personally don't like to buy a car and mod it when you can buy a car which can meet your needs in stock form. In my case this car was the Siena 1.6. Great car to drive in stock form. For you depends what you need it for. For heavy usage I suggest the Octavia 1.9 TDI or for enjoyment the VRS. The build quality is superb and you can find good examples for very low prices. Another car is the Elantra. However with so few on the road, spares may be an issue.

the Indian version was under spec'd.

you are right . me too think about it some times back.
lot of good cars from mistu. but only lancer with old model 1.5 engine for petrol.

elantra and accent do share same part. accent is elantra engine with one bore missing.
valves, bore stroke / engine spares are same.

what you get is comfortness and safety .
yep spare for elantra is high for some parts that is not shared with accent crdi.

hmmm remember never did i say accent crdi spares is cheap!!

My opinion.
you have a good car , getz crdi.
instead of spending on other car , just drive her for daily use.
saving on this car, you can buy her new spares when you need

Thread Starter #15

zengetz

Suspended
ilango[speed thirst];92474 said:
Lancer spares are available in normal spare shops like in coimbatore and chennai.

Wide body kit as of autophyse is available only with them and i hope they cost 40 to 45 unpainted.
cheap relica's are not worth.

we dont just copy the exact model. But can work on new design. all we need more than money is TIME.

our normal skirts cost 24k , spoiler 6k . combined we can give for 27k , painted.
Thats nice to know and btw bro you are in Pondicherry right and forgive my ignorance, is it near Mahe which is next to Thalassery in kerala ? Cos we own a house in Mahe which I have never seen :)

I have plans to go to Mahe in the next 2 weeks so if its close-by I can meet you.

You hit the home run yes its TIME thats important and I am very patient.

ilango[speed thirst];92478 said:
My opinion.
you have a good car , getz crdi.
instead of spending on other car , just drive her for daily use.
saving on this car, you can buy her new spares when you need

Yep the Getz is an amazing car and its my daily ride for the past 2 years. Now with the lancer in the Stable, I would be using it 50-50 so that way my costs are not exponentially high.

Top Bottom