Need Advice On My First Second Hand Car.

Thread Starter #1
Hi frndz,

I am planning on buying my first second hand car. We already have a Swift and a Xylo at home. Now, I wanna buy one for my exclusive use. Pls advice on the cars and the optimum price range that can be spent. I have shortlisted the below cars.

1. Swift petrol

2. Getz - I find the pricing to be on the higher side. Anyways, am still keeping my options open.

3. Palio - The only problem is, I find find any decent ones in chennai [frustration]. I came across quite a few. But not satisfied.[evil]

If you ppl can suggest some good cars. Pls, I would appreciate it. Also, if you know any good cars pls do mail me, that would be lot helpful.

Regards,

Ramoze.

Thread Starter #2
My requirements:

Most probably will change the car in a year and go for a sedan. The usage will be like daily from home to office. Which would cover 20 km (two ways). And on highways on weekend it depends.

So, all i want is a decent good running vehicle, which should not trouble me for the next 1 or 2 years. Thats it.

Regards,

Ramoze

Hi Ramoze,
Please go through this thread.
As far as I know
Swift petrol you need pay extra premium price as it’s from Maruti. Might be out of budget.
Getz- Although you have observed its highly priced in Chennai but its discontinued product so use this tool to bargain.
Palio- You need to search hard for neatly maintained car. Sure that you will get it cheap as compare to Swift n Getz. But be ready for horrible ASS and longer waiting for spares.

Wish you all the best in buying.

Hi Ramoze,
Please go through this thread.
As far as I know
Swift petrol you need pay extra premium price as it’s from Maruti. Might be out of budget.
Getz- Although you have observed its highly priced in Chennai but its discontinued product so use this tool to bargain.
Palio- You need to search hard for neatly maintained car. Sure that you will get it cheap as compare to Swift n Getz. But be ready for horrible ASS and longer waiting for spares.

Wish you all the best in buying.
I would say the same thing. Agree totally and stay away from the Palio at all costs. Around Kerala, the Getz petrol is available for around 2 lakh rupees. I dont know whether it has issues with parts availability though. The Swift, though it comes at a premium would be the safest choice here.

Last edited:
We would like to know more about your requirements to suggest you perfectly.
Answer the 3 questions
->Driving pleasure or comfort
->City or Highway
->FE or Acceleration

Based on the answers you give, it will be easy to shortlist the best cars for you

Jeno [cheers]

IMHO Swift is a better choice.She will be light on your pocket.
And you are going to use that for only one year.So when you sell the car after 1 year,you could also get much better resale value though you have to pay a premium now.[;)]

And you are going to use that for only one year.So when you sell the car after 1 year,you could also get much better resale value though you have to pay a premium now.[;)]
I agree to this.

One more point @ why Swift would give you good resale value is... Swift being the popular model of the three and being a MSIL product the spare parts would not be an issue at all. First thing people look for when byuing a secondhand car is the Service & Spare availability. Swift scores very high on this grounds.

Getz (discontinued): You may get spares but price would be high; However, this is a drivers car and you would love the pleasure and comfort this will provide. Resale will be hard work as not many buyers are well informed about this car.

Palio: It is very difficult to get spare parts. One of my friend has a palio (he is the second owner) and he has to spend lot of time searching for spare parts in Pune. He is frustrated to have this and moreover he could not sell off for a long time (not sure about the current status)

+1 to that. Swift enjoys a premium, so when you resale it you wouldn't stand to lose a lot. Whereas both others are lost causes so it would be difficult to sell them back. Although Get CRDI was the best diesel [:)]

Why dont you also consider i10, it will fit in budget quite nicely and easier to maintain too?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
Hey Frenz,First of all thanks to every one who spent their valuable time to reply. @Jeno Turbo: We would like to know more about your requirements to suggest you perfectly.Answer the 3 questions;Driving pleasure or comfort - Driving pleasure;City or Highway - Mostly Highway;FE or Acceleration - Acceleration.Hope this would provide you more insight about my requirement.

@: ACMohan: IMHO Swift is a better choice.She will be light on your pocket.And you are going to use that for only one year.So when you sell the car after 1 year,you could also get much better resale value though you have to pay a premium now. Thank you. That is the reason why I chose swift. A neat car that wont bug your pocket for quiet a while.@: FJ cruzer: Thanks for the reply. I enquired in Fiat ASS, they informed me that they would be able to get the spares needed for Palio. So, still considering palio. Coz, the driving pleasure and comfort is unmatched. I really fell in love with it driving once.

@: Thetraveller: i10 is good, but a frnd of mine who owns it said that there are some rattling noise issues and some steering problems. So, gotta be very careful while choosing and I am not so good in it. That is one of the reason why i10 was not in my list.Thank you all for you time.

@: FJ cruzer: Thanks for the reply. I enquired in Fiat ASS, they informed me that they would be able to get the spares needed for Palio. So, still considering palio. Coz, the driving pleasure and comfort is unmatched. I really fell in love with it driving once.
Good that Fiat ASS told you so. However, there is a huge gap/difference in "SAYING" & "DOING" things. Moreover, when it comes to Fiat ASS, all is said and discussed in this forum and outside to understand the level of services on offer. So make a careful decision.

If you are simply looking for Driving pleasure and comfort, I would still recommend GETZ over PALIO.

At the end you have to choose a vehicle most suitable and preferable for you. I am sure you will choose the correct car to suit.[:)]

Can I mention little difference over hear.
Fiat with TATA has improved a lot.
Metro cities do not have issues with spares from FIAT for Palio.
I should say that FIAT bad ASS stories are past. & Present is up to the mark level.

The above opinion is based on personal experience from fellow colleagues who own and enjoys the Palio ride.(of course I sometimes I too drive their vehicles)
Nothing comes close to Palio in terms of ride, road handling, driving pleasure, etc etc
And even price too when you are buying second hand.

Nothing comes close to Palio in terms of ride, road handling, driving pleasure, etc etc
But when it comes to reliability and quality, The Palio is a wreck.

My friend had got a new MJD and we got stuck in the middle of the traffic with the gear stuck in third. The car was just 1600kms on the odo and gone through its first service. There were slight issues with the gear box even before and we thought they had fixed it at service. We had to push the darn car to the side and hear a lot of curses from the people behind us. They thought we did not know to drive cause no one thinks a brand new car will break down like that.

Last edited:
Went through the complete thread just now and i would say Swift perfectly fits your bill. Will be easy on pocket and in case you decide to sell the car and upgrade to sedan you wont lose much.

Looking your requirements, Swift diesel Makes more sense, Its the best car to drive and take high speed corners in its segment.

Though if you are okay with high maintenance i would recommend the fiat Palio 1.6 . It handles better than some sedans around. And you will have good number of horses under tap !

Jeno

I don’t think one will buy secondhand well maintained with low or moderate running (less than 80K Kms) Swift Diesel below 4.5 laks
So equation goes like this
One Swift Diesel = two Getz= Three Palio = One Swift Petrol and One Palio.

Last edited:

Top Bottom