Ford Freestyle vs Tata Nexon

Thread Starter #1
Confused between a compact UV and a Compact SUV. I need your opinion to choose between Ford Freestyle Diesel (Titanium) vs Tata Nexon Diesel (XM).

I do understand the segments are different, reporters and YouTubers compare Nexon with Ecosport, breeza and Freestyle with other hatchback and crossovers. But I believe from a buyer perspective it is the price bracket which he has to compare and explore the available options. No doubt 5 years before I started with Honda City and ended up buying XUV500 for the same reason.

My priorities are Safety, Mileage, ride comfort. I found Nexon XM (D) to be half lakh more than Freestyle Titanium (D) hence the option came in.

My personal observations till now (based on Titanium and XM)
You may know all about both the cars and if you feel too much reading, then please jump to summary. :))

Engine:
Both similar power engines. Felt Freestyle is better since, although it is ~300 kg less so power/weight ratio is more. Freestyle share same engine from Ecosport, less noise level both outside and inside the cabin. Engine throttle response is good, driveability is good, Felt very connected with car. Nexon engine has good power but response I felt is vague.

Safety:
Both has dual airbags, ABS with EBD. Freestyle additionally has Traction control, Hill hold, ESP with anti roll mitigation. ( Additional 50,000 will provide 6 airbags too). Nexon ofcourse is NCAP 4 star certified.

Space:
Nexon has spacious cabin, bigger boot space

Looks:
Nexon got good road presence, I personally like the design and looks of Nexon. Although I'm not a fan of the white ceramic strip around the car, hence if I decide to go with Nexon I have an option of Etna orange which comes with gray strip.

Mileage:
During my test drive I saw around 17kmpl (after resetting MID) for both Nexon and Freestyle. But I saw owners of Nexon telling about 4kmpl difference in MID average. Not sure about Freestyle MID difference in this case.

Handling:
Both car steering manuevers are good. I felt more confident while taking Nexon on ramps also commanding view like a proper SUV. As I mentioned earlier, freestyle I feel I'm more connected with the car while driving, only thing lags is the visibility which Nexon provides. In terms of ground clearance Nexon is way forward although Freestyle too have a decent ground clearance. Issues in Nexon like smaller rear view and big A and C pillar are quite adjustable though.

Comfort:
Freestyle suspension setup felt very good on bad patchy roads and well laid roads, also at higher speeds. Nexon I felt very pleasant on well laid roads but very bad on patchy roads and over the potholes. Nexon literally throws people inside the car left and right, it shatters, vibrations are felt on seat and steering. Comfort also has another priority, which is the seat. Nexon seats I felt really good. Front seat has sufficient under thigh support and very well suits for long journey. Nexon rear seats also bucketed with good under thigh support and properly choosed inclination angle. Freestyle on the other hand has less under thigh support and average seating comfort which I feel might be less comfortable for long journey compared to Nexon.

Interior :
I personally like both interiors. A thumbs up to Tata for their design on Nexon. Even the XM variant is just second in the line up and it has a good looking interior. I liked the center console, three tone color etc. Freestyle is equally good although derived from Figo. Siana colored theme (chocolate brown), I felt to be good with a personal touch along with piano black finished and floating display unit.

Infotainment:
Both comes with a good four speaker system. Although Freestyle wins here with a touchscreen floating type display with embedded maps which is a welcome feature.

Resale value & After sales service
Not bothering about this and also I think both are average and equal in terms of service network and service cost.

In Summary: General feeling after test drive
Freestyle:
Pros: Easily felt Connected with the car while driving, zippy, peppy, steering manuevers are handy, back of mind thinks about ESP, ARP for additional safety, too good engine response and silent NVH levels for a diesel. Suspension setup is good. Infotainment system looks premium.
Cons: Seat under thigh support, another half lakh I can buy a bigger Nexon!

Nexon:
Pros: Bigger car means road presence, high ground clearance like an SUV, suitable for our Indian roads, drive modes to get more out of the car in terms of mileage and power, spacious cabin and comfortable seats, more metal for the money
Cons: Bumpy ride, very bad on bad roads, 4kmpl difference in mileage displayed in MID means less mileage.
My major concern is about the suspension of Nexon, the car behaves very badly on bad roads.

As you can see my decision is becoming tougher as both are equally good for the price segment. Urging TAIers to key in your opinions which will be helpful in my decision as usual.

Last edited:
I would say Nexon as it is a more premium, better built (sheet metal) hence safer, bigger car and would be fun to drive (260NM torque). Freestyle is also good and would be marginally more fuel efficient as its much lighter and smaller and is fun to drive too. But Nexon interiors are just better than Freestyle. Freestyle is just a raised Figo in the sense. Nexon also has much bigger boot, more legroom, best cushioned seats, ground clearance and SUVish feel.

Last edited:
If you are someone who enjoys driving and expect more from a car when thrown into a challenge, then its Freestyle for you. Else, Nexon is better built and bigger. Freestyle is cheap on maintenance. Some of the cost of spares are unbelievably low.

The higher torque of Nexon is negated by the weight of Freestyle. Power and Torque to weight may favour Freestyle.

I own a Freestyle and have driven 17000 kms, it is such a pleasure to be behind the steering. I also test drove Nexon and I found that uninvolving to drive apart from the power. Overall it is a decent package.

In Freestyle, difference between MID and actual would be 1 to 1.2 Kmpl. I get 19-19.80 in tankful to tankful method. I maintain very decent speeds but don't over rev while I shift gears.

Its totally up to you as I agree on most of your observations. Nexon in my view is a good buy unless you expect smiles on your face all the while behind the wheel.

It is surprising you found Nexon to be bumpy. Tyre pressure could be the spoil sport here. Try getting a test drive with the pressure corrected. I always found the nexon to be the best fun compact suv, apart from being stylish and comfortable. For the price range, I would eyes closed go for the Nexon than a pumped up Figo, irrespective of however good the car is. Accessories can always be customised, but it's the car that matters. Regarding mileage the Nexon can solidly give 14 in moderate city traffic in the city mode. Highways can get you 21 in eco mode.

If you choose to compare a diesel top variant in both cars then offcourse FreeStyle is better package. The best advantage is the safety it offers at that price point.
Nexon is tough car but the quality finish is not par with FreeStyle.

My suggestion is if you are able to compromise on luggage space and rear adjustable headrest then choose Freestyle. But if you need a road presence and little more rear comfort then Nexon is better to opt.

My suggestion is if you are able to compromise on luggage space and rear adjustable headrest then choose Freestyle. But if you need a road presence and little more rear comfort then Nexon is better to opt.
I believe the Freestyle has been updated with adjustable rear headrest for the last few months.

Thread Starter #9
I would say Nexon as it is a more premium, better built (sheet metal) hence safer, bigger car and would be fun to drive (260NM torque). Freestyle is also good and would be marginally more fuel efficient as its much lighter and smaller and is fun to drive too. But Nexon interiors are just better than Freestyle. Freestyle is just a raised Figo in the sense. Nexon also has much bigger boot, more legroom, best cushioned seats, ground clearance and SUVish feel.
Thanks and Agree about Nexon being bigger and comfortable in terms of legroom and seats. But Freestyle in my opinion is not just raised Figo, the suspension setup and drive-ability is entirely different than Figo, since i drove both back to back for 4km test drive. Freestyle is lot different than Figo, gear shift is light, clutch is light, steering is light too and the suspension setup is so awesome, means firm not spongy but potholes are not felt inside the cabin.

If you are someone who enjoys driving and expect more from a car when thrown into a challenge, then its Freestyle for you. Else, Nexon is better built and bigger. Freestyle is cheap on maintenance. Some of the cost of spares are unbelievably low.

The higher torque of Nexon is negated by the weight of Freestyle. Power and Torque to weight may favour Freestyle.

I own a Freestyle and have driven 17000 kms, it is such a pleasure to be behind the steering. I also test drove Nexon and I found that uninvolving to drive apart from the power. Overall it is a decent package.

In Freestyle, difference between MID and actual would be 1 to 1.2 Kmpl. I get 19-19.80 in tankful to tankful method. I maintain very decent speeds but don't over rev while I shift gears.

Its totally up to you as I agree on most of your observations. Nexon in my view is a good buy unless you expect smiles on your face all the while behind the wheel.
Thanks for highlighting, Your last line, that is where im getting confused what to give priority about :))

It is surprising you found Nexon to be bumpy. Tyre pressure could be the spoil sport here. Try getting a test drive with the pressure corrected. I always found the nexon to be the best fun compact suv, apart from being stylish and comfortable. For the price range, I would eyes closed go for the Nexon than a pumped up Figo, irrespective of however good the car is. Accessories can always be customised, but it's the car that matters. Regarding mileage the Nexon can solidly give 14 in moderate city traffic in the city mode. Highways can get you 21 in eco mode.
I have tested couple of times in Chennai as well as in Bangalore. In fact in bangalore i tried the same stretch of road with petrol and diesel back to back one day. Also diesel and diesel Automatic back to back another day. I too asked SA to drive the car for me and I sat back at rear seat to see the comfort level. On a good road the drive was so good. On a patchy road I can feel the roughness on my body. Worried for long journeys on a some bad road which shouldn't make us feel tired. Ofcourse every other thing is good in the car even the diesel clutch and gear change is light. Need to see whether I can compromise on this!
Note: Even in other forum, an owner of Nexon has mentioned about "Jiggle ride" as cons and he overcome that by reducing tyre pressure as you mentioned.

+ DJ bro, you nailed it for me, comparing freestyle and Nexon is like apples and oranges, just go ahead for the 4* safety features peace of mind for the family.
Even comparing apples with oranges, i believe if you buy both with same cost it is ok to compare [:D] Once i compared Honday City vs XUV500 too, as XUV500 was just half lakh more than City. As you mentoined 4* safety of Nexon is something makes me strong to lean towards Nexon!

My Vote for Freestyle.
Always a ford lover [;)]
[:D] I didnt realize when people telling about it Ford and mentioning as driver's car, but felt it during all my testdrives of Freestyle now. I got well connected with the car while driving.

If you choose to compare a diesel top variant in both cars then offcourse FreeStyle is better package. The best advantage is the safety it offers at that price point.
Nexon is tough car but the quality finish is not par with FreeStyle.

Need to compromise on Average Fit(shattering noise of cabin on big potholes), finish, suspension comfort, paint quality (observed corners of door paints showing inner coating in one of test drive car) of Nexon to get bigger luggage cabin and luggage space, legroom and under thigh support(rear seat), big car feel. As Aryapurthran mentioned headrest is added in new freestyle available for delivery now (from Trend plus petrol and Titanium Diesel variants)

I believe the Freestyle has been updated with adjustable rear headrest for the last few months.
Thanks for the mention.

Thread Starter #10
One thing to mention, a small history. During my earlier purchase of XUV500 i was in a similar situation while comparing XUV with Terrano/Duster. The ride comfort was too good in Terrano as i felt like travelling in a volvo bus on bad roads, cant explain the way the suspension dampens and absorbs the shocks. But except that nothing i felt good compared to XUV500. In case of XUV, I felt the car shatters for potholes at slow speed, if i go on them at 40kmph i wont feel anything, even you wont feel the speed breakers if you drive at that speed (not just by words). I was Ok to compromise on this and went with XUV since suspension was not too bad.
During my first service of XUV, i have told about the suspension issue and also little vibration of cabin at first gear. They recommended to tighten up the suspension bolts and few bolts in the engine bay and further i felt it far better. They also recommended me to change the suspension rubber pads(which connects suspension to the body) every 15,000 kms so as to have good suspension quality at lower speeds. I was feeling fine further and little used to that comfort and I learnt to drive at suitable speed based on road conditions. Newer XUV500s (facelifts) are lot better in suspension than the older one.
Wondering in Nexon if any such things are identified by owners and any work arounds made by service centers apart from lowering tyre psi (similar thing i heard from a Toyota Fortuner owner as well)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can change seat covers/modify seats to have more under thigh support right? Yes it's additional cost, but if that's the only thing that is tipping the scale.....

Thread Starter #12
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can change seat covers/modify seats to have more under thigh support right? Yes it's additional cost, but if that's the only thing that is tipping the scale.....
I don't think we can extend the underthigh support to a comfortable level, though we can add some foam as part of seat cover. But underthigh support is less only in rear seat, for driver and co-driver it is sufficient in freestyle.
The major plus on Nexon is the seat itself, it's bigger and the cabin is spacious. Ofcourse it is one segment higher than freestyle.

In some YouTube videos, I saw some kind of adjustments that can be made to extend under thigh support. That a feature of the seat I guess. Probably only for very expensive cars.

Thread Starter #14
In some YouTube videos, I saw some kind of adjustments that can be made to extend under thigh support. That a feature of the seat I guess. Probably only for very expensive cars.
Oh those comes it luxury car segment which cannot be retrofitted. Only scope is to add some additional foam stiched to the seat cover at front which may help to extend the support

I guess not. But if you can leave with it then its good choice.
Although price difference is the biggest factor to choose between these car. At the top variant price of Freestyle you can get a mid variant of Nexon and you will have to settle down with less features.

I feel these 3 points in Freestyle needs to be corrected,
- wider tyres
- adjustable rear headrest
- HID / Projector headlights.

Top Bottom