Family Hatchback (Korean vs Korean)

Thread Starter #1
Planing to buy a new hatchback but confused between two mind vs heart.

Your Budget: 6.5-7.0 (+20k)

New or Used: New Car

Your Location: Kolkata, India

Top Five Priorities: Safety, Comfort, Design, Build quality & durability.

Monthly Running: Between 800– 1,000 Kms

Type of Fuel: Petrol

For What Purpose: Regular Use

Seating Capacity: Maximum 5 Adults

Type of Segment: Hatchback

The last gen Elite i20 was one of the favourite car always has a place on heart but due to some reason not able to buy it when it was readily available. Now the last few 2018 manufactured Dual Tones are available for sale but not sure it will be good or not as the cars were on the stock yard for a good long time. Got one deal for 7.8 L (OTR) ASTA Dual tone (VTVT) . But the price seems high for the pre facelifted model. Dealer is ready for negotiation but not sure what will be the good price for this. As far I know the ex showroom price was about 7.25 L when it was available.

But the mind says go for the Grand i10 Asta Fresh Stock, fits the budget perfectly, lots of goodies on the Asta trim i.e trip push button start, Smart key, rear wiper.

So totally trapped in a situation and it seems hard to get out

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Bro, today, the price line between premium hatchbacks and compact sedan has become quite narrow. I would suggest, take a look at new compact sedans like Aspire, Tigor, Amaze too. In hatchbacks, Ford Freestyle, Baleno, Tiago NRG Petrol can be considered. Also if you have time, do wait for the new Santro as well since the top spec variant of it can be a VFM option too even though it competes to the likes of Wagon R etc.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #4
Checked them also
1. Baleno :- build quality and suspension is very much unimpressive.
2. Ignis :- Don't like the look (Personal opinion)
3. Swift :- 2018 swift seems very overpriced (ZXI & ZXI+ trim)
4. Tigor/Tiago :- Tiago was top on my list but after hearing horror stories from the tiago owners in office regarding the service centers removed it from the list.
5. Ford Trio's (Freestyle /Figo/aspire) :- if I am on a market for a diesel car then surely those will be on the top of the list tried the Freestyle petrol but family members are against the 3 cylinder.
6. JAZZ :- It was a long story one of the 1st batch car of 2015 Honda jazz CVT in kolkata was with our family bought by my cousin within 2 year changed all the 4 doors due to rusting under warrenty. It was like rusting every where in the car the car was sold 3 months back so No Honda anymore...

Checked them also
4. Tigor/Tiago :- Tiago was top on my list but after hearing horror stories from the tiago owners in office regarding the service centers removed it from the list.
5. Ford Trio's (Freestyle /Figo/aspire) :- if I am on a market for a diesel car then surely those will be on the top of the list tried the Freestyle petrol but family members are against the 3 cylinder...
Sorry for the late response, but I will comment only about these two ---> "after hearing horror stories from the tiago owners in office" and "members are against the 3 cylinder"

(A) I really wonder, if the horror stories came from Tiago owners :confused: . In MY Office, those who bought Tata's latest Cars are very satisfied with A$$. This is how Indian OEMs rank in in the recent J.D.Power 2018 India Customer Service Study on after-sales customer satisfaction; the link is here :

1. Hyundai is first with a score of 912
  2. Tata Motors ranks second with a score of 874.
  3. Tata and the 3rd placed Mahindra (Scored 865) got 4 Stars, meaning "beter than most", as the Avg industry score is 838.
  4. Fourth to 12th spots are for "Ford (Scored 829), Toyota (Scored 827), Datsun (Scored 815), Honda (Scored 810), Maruti (Scored 804), VW (Scored 796), Renault (Scored 794), Nissan (Scored 793), Chevy (Scored 789)".
The vehicle owners have spoken in the above survey. Soooooo many times, I hear negative comments from non-owners and those who have not even sat inside a particular car [frustration] In MY experience, majority of these comments come from Maruti Suzuki owners. Brand loyalty... Please visit a Tata A$$ and talk to the owners who have brought their Cars for Service and THEN make up your mind.

(B) Popular belief about '3 cylinder Petrol engines' is that they are "noisy, less refined, less responsive, less reliable blah blah blah"... For years, I drove a 3 cylinder Petrol engine --- the Matiz. Though it had mere 52 bHP, it was fun to drive. It was so silent that many-a-times I had cranked it when Engine was ON (it didn't have a Tacho). Matiz was slow in 0-100 kph figures (as compared to Santro and Zen and Uno then) but beat all three 4-Pot engines in "in-gear acceleration". It became a mildly throaty at 120kph and above speeds; but, I loved that grunt. I had had my own share of PURE fun, taking on the bigger Sumos and Esteems (back in 2000-2004), on the Delhi-Ambala and Delhi-Agra NHs [evil] . So don't just dismiss a 3 pot engine, without driving one. Take it for a long spin and then decide. BTW, I found this old comparo of turbo-charged 3 Cylinder engines here. Good informative read, it is.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
. In MY experience, majority of these comments come from Maruti Suzuki owners. Brand loyalty... Please visit a Tata A$$ and talk to the owners who have brought their Cars for Service and THEN make up your mind.
I am not a loyalist but still would like to say in Delhi I may not be dissatisfied with the service but I sure am dissatisfied with the upkeep of the sc.
Since March 2017 , tiago has visited 4 different service centres. The first one closed down (from where I bought the car ), the second one is located at a horrendous industrial area with bad roads , open sewers plus the sc operates under a tinshed with just the reception area with 4 walls. Third one again in bad shape , 1 out of 4 ac working ,cars tightly parked inside the sc. I don't expect good machines , tools or even good mechanics etc at these places.
Fortunately , some other dealer opened the service centre at the first place with new reception area and everything. And the sa told me that dealer has a agreement with Tata to keep the sc running for three years so now I breathed a sigh of relief that I don't have to viist another sc for three years assuming they are good.

I wonder what's the condition of Tata SC in small states.

@ sc-15 - why parents against the three cylinders in freestyle ? Get extended warranty , should not matter.

If you compare i20 sports and freestyle Titanium you get these things extra and i20 is still couple of thousand expensive.

esc ,
traction control ,
hill launch assist.
Push button start
Rear window wiper and washer
Rear parking sensors
Rear camera
Touchscreen with navigation
Automatic ac
Alloy wheels

In i20 you get.
Rear ac vent ( no use since 90% time dad will drive alone)
Drls
Front armrest , really useful.

Tiago is a good car and I haven't had a problem with their service , you can check your nearest Tata SC like Vijay recommended.

Thread Starter #7
Finally Booked the Grand i10 ASTA FIERY RED.
Pinch on pocket 7 Lakh OTR (with15 yrs Registration).After around 75k discount.
Booking amount 25k.
Few query :-
1) Is the hyundai VIN no now changed from 19 digit to 17 digit?
2) How to decode the Hyundai VIN.
3) How is the go digit insurence?

Also My cousin booked the New Ford Aspire Diesel (Titenium).

Thread Starter #9
Got the VIN from the dealer for Grand i10

MALA851CLJM935308

Can any one please help me to decode the VIN?

Congrats on booking your new car, but the above VIN is incomplete .
Hyundai's have 19 digit VIN which would be embossed in B-Pillar or under Driver seat. Check there.
Else ask Dispatch Forms from Factory to check month of manufacturing.

Thread Starter #13
After a little issue with the dealer now taking the Nov Manufactured car. The Car just reached today at the dealer yard. Went there to check the car.
Few changes that I have observed.
  • New Badge of Grand i10.
  • 1.2 Badge is back again.
  • Hyundai IBlue support
received_492376587950247.jpeg

Top Bottom