Worthy Replacement For Santro Under Rs.11 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
Hello folks, I am back with query, What Car?

This time my sister is planning to get a Car as the car at home, Santro has aged and is suitable only for city duties. Due to recent frequent outstation trips, Santro is not able to fulfill its duty and since I am away from home, Ecosport is not able to serve both ends.

Some background: She wants to get a home first, hence had been postponing Car buying decision for past many years. But as she hasn't been able to decide on home and the need for a car has arisen, I suggested her to get a car. Is this wise?

I have two chain of thoughts here aka I am confused.
1) Buy a A or B segment car just to serve the purpose and upgrade later if required
2) Buy a C segment car around 10lakh once.

Without a doubt, ABS and atleast 2 Airbags are must. Car will be driven by Mom (Experienced driver) and maybe Sister (Learner)

Cars shortlisted:
Under First thought -
1) Tiago - I love this car but Mom has said no to TATA cars. Could be had in AMT
2) Ignis - Will drop this if Build Quality is not upto the mark. AMT can be looked at.
3) Ford Freestyle - 90% Ecosport. Looks way better than Figo. *Android Auto*

Under Second thought -
1) Nexon XT Diesel - Most VFM. 'I like it, Sister hates it' kind of design. Love everything about this car except for rear space which I found to be inferior to Ecosport. Actually, I almost felt claustrophobic at back.
2) Nexon Diesel AMT - Most VFM automatic.
3) Ecosport Titanium Petrol - Tested product with additional gizmos and handsome package. Petrol to save money and since we already have a 1.5 TDCi in home, don't want to repeat the engine. No Cruise control option which is available in Verna. Android Auto a big plus.
4) Ecosport Titanium Diesel - Available only at additional 70,000 bucks. Same engine already in home, Why Not? If its such a brilliant one.
5) Ecosport Trend Plus AT Petrol - Convenience of an Auto but loses out on gadgetry of Titanium.
6) Verna SX 1.6 Petrol - I am totally sold on this Car - it has that oomph factor not present in any car below Jeep Compass.
Has everything going for it, except for the Low GC. Though we don't do intentional off-roading at all but twice I have been forcefully made to take my car off-road through farms, crater-like village roads, once during Gujjar agitation when I was coming back from Jaipur to Agra. Second was recent, when I was traveling from Gwalior to Kanpur and a bridge before Etawah had collapsed leading to atleast 10km of Jam. Random speed-breakers and city potholes in monsoon don't help its case either. I don't think Verna can handle such surprises.
Also since Verna is a low-slung sedan, my mother and sister may have difficulty driving it, initially, so I may have to give them Ecosport and drive Verna myself, which I don't mind at all.

To be launched -
1) Jeep Renegade - Proper 4x4 for (planned) Ladakh and Europe trip. But if 4x4 it is launched only in top variant then it may get pricey.
2) Tata H5X - Desi Land Rover. Sold on this one but expect it to be pricey.

Should she buy a car? If yes, then which one?

Not considering -
Nexon Petrol - Not worth the money spent.
Honda City - Priced at a premium. Anyways I never liked the current City design. Only the first gen City tugged at my heart. Frankly, I don't like design of any car coming out from Honda stable. Loses out on a lot of gadgetry compared to Verna and Ecosport.
Maruti - Have experienced their POOR build quality first hand. Only Maruti I could consider is S Cross which is again priced at a premium with horrible 1.3 under its hood.
Creta - Exorbitant pricing, again. Never liked the interiors too.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Worthy replacement under 11lakhs.

I am quite confused now as to how and what to suggest!! I think you need to follow the process of elimination and select out 3 cars i.e In Diesel Nexon, In Compact Car Freestyle and in Sedan, Verna.

Of the above, based on your requirement, I'll suggest either go for Diesel Nexon or the Freestyle. Both are quite good when it comes to soft-off roading. Recently I experienced Off-Road driving in Diesel Freestyle and it was reasonably good too. Comparing between Nexon & Freestyle based on your budget, Nexon provides more car for the money. At present, the only compact SUV(s) that can actually compete head to head are Eco-Sport & Nexon. Brezza misses out on accounts of dated engine and comparatively dated interiors if compared to Nexon & Eco-Sport. As you already own an Eco-Sport then the other best C-SUV can be Nexon Diesel and if you want to go for a car from same stable, buy a Freestyle diesel. So buddy, my 2 picks will be Nexon Diesel or Freestyle Diesel.

Regards

Akash

^^ kudos to what Akash has doubts, I was thinking you have practically covered most car's in the 7-11L range, and either you or your family are not on the same page on most shortlisted cars, except maybe freestyle, hope you can convince them, and then come back here for further help.

Happy hunting.

Brezza is a big NO for me. Poor build quality and lethargic 1.3. No Maruti except SCross seems interesting to me which is again priced at a premium.
Then your choices are limited as you have listed. If you want mini SUV/CUV.
If you want sedan why dont you look at Toyota Yaris AT ?

Thread Starter #7

I am quite confused now as to how and what to suggest!! I think you need to follow the process of elimination and select out 3 cars i.e In Diesel Nexon, In Compact Car Freestyle and in Sedan, Verna

Regards

Akash
Thank you for your inputs. Let me simplify my complicated post and take on my conundrum one step at a time.

Which is better of the two overall - Verna Petrol or Ecosport Petrol/Diesel? Is Verna's overall package worth sacrificing high GC provided by ES?

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Which is better of the two overall - Verna Petrol or Ecosport Petrol/Diesel? Is Verna's overall package worth sacrificing high GC provided by ES?
Both the cars are different buddy. The new Ecosport petrol comes with a new 1.5 Dragon engine which is doing good. Since you already have an Ecosport, so, you must be well aware of the performance and driving characteristics of it. If compared to Verna, then definitely Eco-Sport scores better over all be it GC, even improved rear seat space among other things and most importantly it can tackle poor roads better in comparison to Verna. Having said this, in case you are open to buying something new and equally exciting then suggest you to also check the Freestyle Diesel and the Nexon in Diesel too.

Regards

Akash

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
you don't have to take much precaution with the verna's GC. i have faced GC issues twice when it was fully loaded. so in that case you have to take special care.

also , since the verna sits lower you have to judge the height of the dividers \ footpath when parking. to avoid this issue try to reverse park it. i haven't faced GC issues in the elantra as well. in extreme conditions you have to make sure car speed is low and no sudden brakes over potholes.
my suggestion will be the verna or the freestyle since you already own the ecosport.

Hello folks, I am back with query, What Car?

This time my sister is planning to get a Car as the car at home, Santro has aged and is suitable only for city duties. Due to recent frequent outstation trips, Santro is not able to fulfill its duty and since I am away from home, Ecosport is not able to serve both ends.

Some background: She wants to get a home first, hence had been postponing Car buying decision for past many years. But as she hasn't been able to decide on home and the need for a car has arisen, I suggested her to get a car. Is this wise?
If you take a Car loan,and buy a home later on, the Home loan amount disbursed will be less as you have taken a car loan.
So you have to decide the priority.
I have two chain of thoughts here aka I am confused.
1) Buy a A or B segment car just to serve the purpose and upgrade later if required
2) Buy a C segment car around 10lakh once.

Without a doubt, ABS and atleast 2 Airbags are must. Car will be driven by Mom (Experienced driver) and maybe Sister (Learner)

Cars shortlisted:
Under First thought -
1) Tiago - I love this car but Mom has said no to TATA cars. Could be had in AMT
2) Ignis - Will drop this if Build Quality is not upto the mark. AMT can be looked at.
3) Ford Freestyle - 90% Ecosport. Looks way better than Figo. *Android Auto*

Under Second thought -
1) Nexon XT Diesel - Most VFM. 'I like it, Sister hates it' kind of design. Love everything about this car except for rear space which I found to be inferior to Ecosport. Actually, I almost felt claustrophobic at back.
2) Nexon Diesel AMT - Most VFM automatic.
3) Ecosport Titanium Petrol - Tested product with additional gizmos and handsome package. Petrol to save money and since we already have a 1.5 TDCi in home, don't want to repeat the engine. No Cruise control option which is available in Verna. Android Auto a big plus.
4) Ecosport Titanium Diesel - Available only at additional 70,000 bucks. Same engine already in home, Why Not? If its such a brilliant one.
5) Ecosport Trend Plus AT Petrol - Convenience of an Auto but loses out on gadgetry of Titanium.
6) Verna SX 1.6 Petrol - I am totally sold on this Car - it has that oomph factor not present in any car below Jeep Compass.
Has everything going for it, except for the Low GC. Though we don't do intentional off-roading at all but twice I have been forcefully made to take my car off-road through farms, crater-like village roads, once during Gujjar agitation when I was coming back from Jaipur to Agra. Second was recent, when I was traveling from Gwalior to Kanpur and a bridge before Etawah had collapsed leading to atleast 10km of Jam. Random speed-breakers and city potholes in monsoon don't help its case either. I don't think Verna can handle such surprises.
Also since Verna is a low-slung sedan, my mother and sister may have difficulty driving it, initially, so I may have to give them Ecosport and drive Verna myself, which I don't mind at all.

To be launched -
1) Jeep Renegade - Proper 4x4 for (planned) Ladakh and Europe trip. But if 4x4 it is launched only in top variant then it may get pricey.
2) Tata H5X - Desi Land Rover. Sold on this one but expect it to be pricey.

Should she buy a car? If yes, then which one?

Not considering -
Nexon Petrol - Not worth the money spent.
Honda City - Priced at a premium. Anyways I never liked the current City design. Only the first gen City tugged at my heart. Frankly, I don't like design of any car coming out from Honda stable. Loses out on a lot of gadgetry compared to Verna and Ecosport.
Maruti - Have experienced their POOR build quality first hand. Only Maruti I could consider is S Cross which is again priced at a premium with horrible 1.3 under its hood.
Creta - Exorbitant pricing, again. Never liked the interiors too.
VERNA
the best choice among all the listed cars,i am sure your mom & sister will find it comfortable driving and handling the car in a day to day basis.

Ford freestyle should suit your requirements. It is compact, so your mother and sister would be at ease driving it. It is pretty well loaded and the titanium + gets 6 airbags along with abs esp etc. The new dragon engine is pretty good is what I have heard. It is well within your budget.
I also suggest you take a look at the Hyundai i20.
It is 80% of the Verna at 60% price

If you are thinking of a hatchback then Ford Freestyle is a best option [but with a diesel engine]. You can save lot of money for future fueling.

Second thought if you are looking for some quality make then go for VW Polo TDI. Little costly but real driving pleasure.

A mix of above two is Hyundai i20 with lots of feature and good ride and handling. [You can choose either petrol or diesel here].

Always opt for top end car as you have good budget plus you wont miss and important feature i.e. driver side seat height adjustment, which is very useful feature for ladies.

Ford freestyle is the one you should be considering. It's a completely new vehicle and Ford has improved a lot in terms of petrol engine refinement and super gear box. It's built and ride quality make it a great VFM package. Automatic in Freestyle is greatly miss though.

The other reason is the Ford's assured service which they claim is even more economical than Maruti and Hyundai. If you want to only go with Automatics, the most VFM package is Nexon under 10 Lakhs.

Regards

Thread Starter #14
Thank you all for your inputs. With some brainstorming, we are decided on Nexon Diesel or Ecosport Petrol/Diesel. Preferring an Automatic but still undecided. This car will be with us for atleast 5 years.

Nexon XMA Diesel- 9.74 OTR
+VFM - Getting a 1.5 Diesel for 1 lakh less than 3-cylinder 1.5 Petrol in Ecosport Trend+ AT
+Tad better driving dynamics than ES
-Barebones. Loses out on LOT - Cruise, TCS, ESP, Android Auto, Projectors, Seat height adjust, Rear Wiper, Alloys, ACC and more

Ecosport Trend+ AT - 10.89 OTR
+Reasonably specced but overpriced for a Petrol (I know its a 1.5 hence NO tax breaks)
+TCS, ESP, ACC, 12V Power outlet, Rear Wiper, Touchscreen
-Loses out on Sync3, Projectors, Cruise, 6 Airbags
-Overpriced compared to Nexon XMA 1.5D
-Stiff ride

Nexon XZA+ Diesel - 11.79 OTR
+VFM compared to Ecosport - Cool 1 lakh less than ES Titanium+ AT Petrol
+Brilliant AVN
+Tad better Driving dynamics than ES
-Loses out on Cruise, 6 Airbags, ESP, TCS, TPMS
-Cool 2 lakh more than XMA. TATA must have provided with an XZA variant.

Ecosport Titanium+ AT - 12.77 OTR
+Very well kitted
+Sync3, Cruise, 6 Airbags, ESP, TCS, Projectors, TPMS,
-VERY OVERPRICED compared to Nexon XZA+ 1.5D
-Stiff ride

For Manual, I'll prefer Nexon XZ 1.5D (10.14 OTR, No Alloys but doesn't matter) or ES Titanium 1.5P (10.67 OTR, No Sync3, matters a LOT) or ES Titanium + 1.5P (11.84 OTR) or corresponding Diesel variants

-Fails me all the time when Petrol of ES is atleast 50-60k costlier than Nexon's Diesel.

-Though running wouldn't be much but spending around 10 lakhs for a 1.2 Petrol doesn't seem sensible to me.

-Although 1.5 Petrol Ti-VCT in ES is better than before but the sweet 1.5 TDCi at just 50-60k more seems better deal to me.

-Wish ES came in Diesel Auto guise. Would have made life much easier.

-Android Auto, Projectors are a must (..and Cruise to an extent).
Android auto AVN can be retrofitted but procuring good Projectors (Morimoto) at my place is difficult and also voids warranty. So will prefer to go for Top Variant.

-Heck I could go for Freestyle Titanium+ 1.5D if it had Projectors and a better build quality and came in Auto. But then it would cost equivalent to Nexon which is any day better than Freestyle. Not considered 1.2 Ti-VCT Freestyle, is it worth?

-..or wait it out for Jeep Renegade?!

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Buddy, If it's a diesel then go for the Nexon Diesel. I too prefer a Diesel Nexon over the Petrol one. Recently one of our member, Vinod ji bought a XMA Nexon in Diesel so you may take his feedback too. Is there any specific reason to avoid the manual transmission? If not, then Nexon diesel XZ trim can be a good option to consider.

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom