Possible Scam Buying Old Car Through OLX, Quikr Etc

Thread Starter #1
I was searching for an used Swift Diesel in Bangalore for my friend. As usual searched online via Olx and Quickr apart from other usual places.
Last week one ad stuck my eye a beautifully maintained Swift VDI 2013 run less than 50K available for less than 2.5 lacs which seemed too good to be true.
Casually I contacted the person and in turn he asked for my email id. Till that time it was fair.

Today morning I got an email stating as below. Immediately I realized this is a scam and thought of highlighting here for larger audience. This kind of scams have been going around for quite a while now and people has lost in lacs .

Let me mail do rest of talking.

Thanks,
Anshuman

Attachments

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Re: Possible Scam Buying Old Car through Olx Quickr Etc

Yes, looks something suspicious - be careful.

Who knows, she might have already collected money from others similar way. Also, it looks like some person works in Airport also involved in this case..?[surprise]

Thread Starter #3

The car itself is registered in name of Mr Vinod whose number is given. Even the RC copy was given in the mail and ID cards copies of both the so called airport officer and Mr Vinod.
I did not call up the number , but even if I called up I am sure that they would ask to visit Airport to make the payment.

Nairrk

Honoured Member

Why she want only Rs.28, 800 now (may be she took this cash from Vinod by giving the car docs to him as security for this amount and Vinod will release the docs only after getting the cash)?

Can't she or Vinod (if Vinod is the owner) collects the full money and release all the docs to the buyer? Do all docs mean the transfer form duly signed by the owners? Why she want to collect the major part of the money only after 2 months, until then the buyer cannot transfer the car to his name??

Lot of questions to be asked in this deal?

It obviously is a scam. You definitely don't have to pay money in advance to get gate pass ! The easiest way to check is ask one of your friends too to contact and say he wants to buy. If the buyer asks both of you to pay advance to the officer, then the scam is confirmed. In any case, this looks too dubious to be true. There is nothing that stops the 'official' from driving the car out of airport and deal with you.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

That's a useful share, Anshuman! Thanks.

I firmly believe that its always more peaceful and appropriate to sell and buy the car(s) from the owner himself/herself in person. I am never comfortable with this online business w.r.t selling the stuff. That's one of the reasons why I wasn't really comfortable with the online portals to sell my CITY Ivtec. Though the process is time consuming but at the end both the buyer & seller are on the same page if the deal is done 1-to-1 with all needful documentations. I personally would never recommend any online portal services for selling the cars or property.

Regards

Akash

You have to keep all your senses aware. I have sold and bought stuff through OLX, cartrade, etc. Just need to be aware. Even if you have 1% suspicion, leave the deal. I sold my car for a much better price than dealers were offering through these online portals. So before all the hate is mentioned, do think about one thing... people will try to scam through any medium. Online just makes it a little easier but again that does not mean that it is a bad way to sell or buy cars.

Just walk away .It seems shady and why risk when there are plenty of used cars in this market .Always suggest you to refrain from online transactions other than when its directly from the dealership it self. Making payment to unknown persons will end-up in fraud and you will be equally held responsible.Money once sent wont return even if the justice is on your side [evil]

Akash1886

Honoured Member

You have to keep all your senses aware. I have sold and bought stuff through OLX, cartrade, etc. Just need to be aware. Even if you have 1% suspicion, leave the deal. I sold my car for a much better price than dealers were offering through these online portals. So before all the hate is mentioned, do think about one thing... people will try to scam through any medium. Online just makes it a little easier but again that does not mean that it is a bad way to sell or buy cars.
I do understand that buddy and possibly this could be a one-off case but from my experience i.e when I was working with a shopping portal (they sold FMCG goods on TV channel), there were lot of issues raised by customers w.r.t product being defective, wrong product delivered, delays & most importantly the refund. So, having seen that, I personally avoid buying & selling stuff online and believe that its better to see the product in person, meet the buyer/seller in person and then go ahead with the payment formalities. As rightly pointed by @Driveright too, refunding / reverting of the payment made online for a product is the toughest thing and takes a lot of time to finally settle.

Regards

Akash

I was searching for an used Swift Diesel in Bangalore for my friend. As usual searched online via Olx and Quickr apart from other usual places.
Last week one ad stuck my eye a beautifully maintained Swift VDI 2013 run less than 50K available for less than 2.5 lacs which seemed too good to be true.
Casually I contacted the person and in turn he asked for my email id. Till that time it was fair.

Today morning I got an email stating as below. Immediately I realized this is a scam and thought of highlighting here for larger audience. This kind of scams have been going around for quite a while now and people has lost in lacs .

Let me mail do rest of talking.

Thanks,
Anshuman
Thanks Anshuman for sharing this with all
OLX/QUIKR has gained a lot of popularity in selling used products,this is an eye opener for all to cross check before sharing any details of yourself online.

Adding to the above experience, sometimes these scammers go the extra length and convince people via calls. One of my colleagues was about to fall prey for similar trap. A similar story mentioned by OP was presented to my colleague. This time the car was in Port yard and the scammer was in a ship some few hundred meters from the port and he can be contacted only via calls. The scammer was continuously in touch with my colleague and even promptly returned my colleague's call whenever it was missed. He even connected with another scammer who was posing as a Port officer and asked my colleague to make the payment and see the car. We realized the scam and went to Cyber-crime to lodge a complaint but they were claiming that they're getting close to hundred such complaints a month and asked us, the educated folks, to make informed decisions before involving in such transactions.

So if someone claims that the car is in Airport or in Port yard, let it happily rest there and be assured it's a scam.

Cheers!

language style used in the mail is not Indian. Looks like African.
Apart from amount of 28800, they want your Id proof. So it may not be just money. If you pass on your address, id proof that itself is enough to achieve their phishing goal. Then as a second goal, they may try to get your bank details.

Last edited:

Top Bottom