Planning To Buy Old Willy's Jeep 4X2 or 4X4

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,
I am planning to buy a old Willy's jeep as I love owning & driving one as an automotive enthusiast. So I need help in buying one as I am new to diesel engine
as I have been driving petrol cars (Maruti 800 - Hyundai Santro - Honda Amaze).
Should I buy a jeep which is in good condition or I buy a one which is in ok condition & then restore it. Also I wanted to know if its safe to buy from Olx as i came across lot of jeeps for sale. Please help...

I have listed below points to check

1. Correct RTO papers
2. Engine
3. Drive train & axle
4. Electricals

Let me know if I have missed out on any points & thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Avinash

Hi All,
I am planning to buy a old Willy's jeep as I love owning & driving one as an automotive enthusiast. So I need help in buying one as I am new to diesel engine
Should I buy a jeep which is in good condition or I buy a one which is in ok condition & then restore it. Also I wanted to know if its safe to buy from Olx as i came across lot of jeeps for sale. Please help...

1. Correct RTO papers
2. Engine
3. Drive train & axle
4. Electricals

Thanks,
Avinash
HI Avinash,
Buy a car which is already in good condition.
Be very careful while dealing with OLX ads, dont share personal details, personally visit the car and owner.
While buying,check the service history and show your car at a Mahindra Service Centre to know the actual condition of the car and the future repair costs if any.
Be patient and wait for the right Willys to come.
All the best

Hi All,
I am planning to buy a old Willy's jeep as I love owning & driving one as an automotive enthusiast.
I doubt you can get a Willy's Jeep. Those are already antique pieces or scrapped many years ago.
I think you meant Mahindra MM540 DP which were popular in 80's and early 90's. Modern day Thar is also based on that vehicle.

You can check this thread also for reference. The best place to get same is Mayapuri market , Delhi.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/accessories-modifications/34161-building-custom-suv.html

If you are looking for this kind of Vehicle, Then Go to Dabwali and get it done for urself or Buy what they have for sale

Even you can get this kind of modded vehicles as well

And the classic one-- Willy's

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Thanks Silvereyez, Anshuman.

@Kasscon I like the classic Willy's one. Where can I source this kind of jeep. Also if I buy from
Dabwali how do I register it here in Bangalore. I need some info on this. Thanks.

Thanks Silvereyez, Anshuman.

@Kasscon I like the classic Willy's one. Where can I source this kind of jeep. Also if I buy from
Dabwali how do I register it here in Bangalore. I need some info on this. Thanks.
You can get it from Dabwali and they will take care of the registration process as well [:)]

You can get the old chassis and then can choose almost each and every part you want to install on the chassis from the engine to the steering assembly and the list is on

So, try to reach out to Dabwali and get your vehicle assembled there

for the lovers

Last edited:
You can get it from Dabwali and they will take care of the registration process as well [:)]

You can get the old chassis and then can choose almost each and every part you want to install on the chassis from the engine to the steering assembly and the list is on

So, try to reach out to Dabwali and get your vehicle assembled there

for the lovers

Just to add to the sound advice on Dabwali Jeeps by our dear friend Vaibhav, the only thing they are not good at is 4*4, they remove it so you have a show stopper 4*2 with all bells and whistles. They can even add a working A/c if you want.

Happy shopping.

Instead of so many hassles I would suggest go for a modern and new vehicle like Mahindra Thar. You never know what all issues might be there in such old vehicle unlless you are ready to pay huge on the resurrection.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hi All,

1. Correct RTO papers
2. Engine
3. Drive train & axle
4. Electricals

Thanks,
Avinash

If you are new to the field, By all means get a slightly more modern vehicle like THAR CRDE. Get one in good running condition. Keep Restoration works for later, when you have enough experience working with vehicles. Most of the fun of restoration is in DIY. Otherwise it does not give satisfaction. And by all means, get a 4x4. Most people end up regretting later for getting a 4x2.

Hi All,

1. Correct RTO papers
2. Engine
3. Drive train & axle
4. Electricals

Thanks,
Avinash
Hi Avinash! I hope you are doing well and staying safe. I just came across your post where you were looking for a Willys jeep and realize this is quite an old post. However, I thought I'd anyway drop you this note to check if you were still looking around for one. I picked up a jeep from a wonderful gentleman from Coorg who owned this for many years and since he had two, decided he'd let one of them go - I've had this jeep for a few years now. I don't get to drive it around enough and hence, have just decided that it would be more use to someone else who could take care of it. This is a vintage jeep - Model 1978, 4WD, 1563CC and the registration is an original one MYZ! Ping me if either you or someone you know is interested. Cheers! John

Hi Avinash! I hope you are doing well and staying safe. I just came across your post where you were looking for a Willys jeep and realize this is quite an old post. However, I thought I'd anyway drop you this note to check if you were still looking around for one. I picked up a jeep from a wonderful gentleman from Coorg who owned this for many years and since he had two, decided he'd let one of them go - I've had this jeep for a few years now. I don't get to drive it around enough and hence, have just decided that it would be more use to someone else who could take care of it. This is a vintage jeep - Model 1978, 4WD, 1563CC and the registration is an original one MYZ! Ping me if either you or someone you know is interested. Cheers! John
Still thinking of parting with it? John. sim_100@yahoo.com

Top Bottom