Suggest 7-Seater Car For Rs.15 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
7 seater at around 15lakhs

Hello Friends, I am looking for a 7 seater at around 15lakhs. We have in our family 5 adults and 1 kid. We have following cars Indica, swift and tiago. Out of which swift is used mostly by my cousin so not available always. All our family members are above average in build so fitting 5 plus the kid in a single car like Indica or tiago becomes problem for long drives. We as a family like to go on long trips (around 1000 km ) atleast twice in a year. Car will used more often for short runs of around 100 kms. After kid came along we are managing such trips by hiring mostly innovas for self drive. But now we are looking for our own car which can satisfy our needs.
Main requirement for the car
- should be very comfortable highway cruise.
- should have very good ride quality, ability to handle bad roads well.
- should accommodate 6 people plus lagguage.
- should have good safety package ( abs, airbags atleast two, disc brakes, esp)
- should have good build quality.
- long term reliability should be good as I am looking for minimum 8/10 years for ownership.
- average mileage should atleast 12 km/l and above.

I ok with petrol as well as deisel cars. Only for deisel cars I am bit concerned due to B.S. VI implementation. I not sure whether using B.S. VI fuel in a B.S. IV engine will create any issues. If no issues then I don't have problem buying a deisel.
Please help me deciding the right car for my requirements.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: A 7 seater at around 15lakhs

Two Cars come in my mind i.e XUV & Hexa. Hexa meets your above listed needs except the Petrol engine option. The BS-6 norms will come in effect from April 2020 but until then it is not like people won't buy diesel cars. In Petrol you can have the XUV Petrol. Else, if you are open for used cars then look for a good condition Ford Endeavour too.

Regards

Akash

XUV's W6 and Hexa's XM variants are awesome VFM. These are obvious choices in your case.
But, check again for how many times you all go together on a long trip. If not more than 2-3 times in an year, I'd suggest to stick to your current mode of travel i.e., rented self-drive Innovas. Nothing can beat the reliability and comfort of an Innova.
Hexa is comfy, but reliable?! I better leave it to you to decide. Toyota has a reputation in this regard which is hard to defeat.

XUV is great too, but short on low-speed ride comfort. Mind it, it has got no boot space with 3rd row seats in place.

I can suggest to go for CRV rightaway, IF you can afford to increase the budget exponentially. We have one (2017 make) in family, and I know its potential.

If you are willing to step down a segment from 15L bracket, you have BRV and Lodgy which are brilliant in their own arena which fortunately matches with yours. [:)]

Lodgy is available at very lucrative discounts. Try it once.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

I can suggest to go for CRV rightaway, IF you can afford to increase the budget exponentially. We have one (2017 make) in family, and I know its potential.
The new CR-V is on it's way to India in this 18-19 FY so I guess if it has to be CR-V then probably a good used example can fit in.

If you are willing to step down a segment from 15L bracket, you have BRV and Lodgy which are brilliant in their own arena which fortunately matches with yours.

Lodgy is available at very lucrative discounts. Try it once.
Yes BR-V Petrol though is a good machine thanks to the 1.5 Ivtec mill. One of the most reliable engine around. I would still pick a BR-V Petrol over the Petrol Ertiga. Lodgy is a slow seller in personal owner's segment and haven't really heard of the maintenance and customer feedback on after sales experience of Lodgy. I still feel 1.5 L BR-V is a better option in comparison to Lodgy if sub-15 L price range is considered.

Regards

Akash

Complete 7 seater cars:

Innova GX (Petrol/Diesel)
7 seater, 3 Airbags , ABS with EBD, Brake Assist. Superbly comfortable, Strong Reliability and ASS of Toyota, High Resale value. Slightly higher than your set budget.

Maruti Ertiga Diesel ZDI+SHVS
7 seater, 2 Airbags , ABS with EBD, Brake Assist.Reliability and ASS of Maruti, High Resale value, A top end car for lesser than your budget.

These 2 are the most Reliable and Stress free cars.

Other options can be:
Scorpio
BRV
TUV 300
Hexa
XUV500

The XUV and hexa mid variants fullfill your requirements the best. Both have 2 airbags,abs,ebd,all wheel disc brakes and the XUV even gets Android auto and apple car play.
If you can stretch your budget , then the Innova crysta 2.4 VX is definitely worth considering.

bhvm

Honoured Member

If you want to seat proper 7 people, Nothing comes close to Hexa.
XUV will be a good option but there is no boot left after all seats up.

Things like TUV etc are gimmicks and last seats are not useful. Nor are side facing seats of Scorpio/Safari.

If you have time you can wait for Mahindra Xylo replacement MPV.

Last edited:

Nor are side facing seats of Scorpio/Safari.
Just to clarify bhvm's point, unlike Safari, the S7/S11 variants of Scorpio do have 8-seater front facing seats. But after all 3 rows up, no space for luggage. S7 - S11 OTR in Bangalore ranges from 16+ to 18+ lakhs, which is out of the price range indicated. So does the safety equipment list you had asked for is missing in Scorpio excepting 2 airbags & ABS. No EBD & ESC. Nevertheless the Safari's superb ride quality can't be compared with Scorpio's bouncy ride.

bhvm

Honoured Member

Thanks CS,
I almost forgot Scorp has got S11 too. BTW problem remains same as XUV. No space with seats up. We also forgot Eritga. Its economical but is quite cramped for all 7 seats with luggage.

One option that OP can do is get a deal on used Xylo or Innova and then upgrade after 1~2 years after reviewing Xylo replacement.
Used xylo will be much cheaper than used innova. And those Older Mahindra engines are practically bulletproof. But these will not have ABS airbags, EBD etc Unless one finds really high end Xylo model. (I think e9).

Last edited:

As you mentioned 5+1 with adults of average INDIAN physic then, BRV would be good idea. First of all if the yearly running in not going above 15000 kms then Petrol car is a good choice.

If petrol car then first things comes to my mind is HONDA. And BRV is a best option to go considering your requirement.

The BRV seems to be a logical choice for a 6-7 seater with spare boot space (223 litres). It is the cheapest "comfortable" and flexible car in its category with a convenient CVT and 1.5 iVTEC engine.
Plus, its dimensions are also compact enough not to have a frustrating feeling while driving in the city areas. I used to have my reservations about the product (expressed in this forum), but it has lot more practical value than what it is credited with by people. Build quality obviously could be better, but it may not be flimsy either (most Honda's arent).

Last edited:

Just to clarify bhvm's point, unlike Safari, the S7/S11 variants of Scorpio do have 8-seater front facing seats. But after all 3 rows up, no space for luggage. S7 - S11 OTR in Bangalore ranges from 16+ to 18+ lakhs, which is out of the price range indicated. So does the safety equipment list you had asked for is missing in Scorpio excepting 2 airbags & ABS. No EBD & ESC. Nevertheless the Safari's superb ride quality can't be compared with Scorpio's bouncy ride.
The Scorpios ride quality has been improved exponentially and I believe it's now comparable to safari though it's no match to hexa . With the recent facelift, airbags , abs , ebd are standard across all variants of scorpio apart from S3.

Last edited:
New Ertiga is here, and will be launched pretty soon. It's a huge revamp over the current model.
BRV is available at great discounts. A colleague recently purchased it at a very lucrative price.

Recently I had booked uber XL and got a Honda BRV. I was highly impressed by the car. Superb space inside, decently equipped and a nice punchy engine. It was much more spacious compared to my cousin's Ertiga (I am 180 cm tall). Had a chat with the driver and he said it costs about 7-8000₹ per annum for maintenance. When I asked him about the mileage, he said it gives about 17-18 kmpl. The car had run 30k in 6 months and there were 0 rattles.
With the current discounts , BRV is a great buy.

Top Bottom