Alternative Of Hyundai Creta 1.6 SX+

Thread Starter #1
Hey, This is my first post. Hope to get some good suggestions from all the experts.
Let me start by saying that I don't have much knowledge about cars and whatever little knowledge I have is because of this forum.

I have a budget of Rs 15L. I am looking for MUV/SUV. I have decided to go for Creta 1.6 SX+ (Diesel) which we are getting at 15L (on road price). Now please help me, should I buy this or should I look for any other better alternative. Other questions/doubts are at the end of this post. Let me tell you my requirements and other necessary details with which you can give me appropriate advice/suggestions.
I am already the owner of Hyundai Verna Fluidic Diesel (2013)(> 75k kms) and Honda City i-vtec (2009)(>115k kms) Petrol. I will be selling my Honda City.

I hope you will get the little idea from my previous cars that I am used to keeping my cars for quite a long period of time and I don't easily change my cars (or for that matter any product that I own), I would have never decided to sell my Honda City but I thought it was time to part ways with it and get some brand new addition to my family of cars.

So far, I have taken the test drive of Honda WRV. Here are the things that I didn't like in my 1st test drive (sorry to all the owners of Honda WRV).
Cons-
1- Look wise, it really looks like an extended hatchback.
2- Interiors can be improved.
3- It looks very compact from inside too. (Please keep in mind that I am 6ft tall guy and little fat too)
4- Little skeptical about its resale value as I don't see this car much on road (Compare to Brezza & Creta)

Next car that I took on the test drive is S-Cross.
- Boy, oh boy I am in love with this car and seriously a shout out for Maruti Suzuki for getting everything right with this car (IMO). It's very smooth in riding, with features that I am not getting in any car even with the 20L budget. I would suggest anyone with the 12L budget to go for this car.
Cons (not really cons)
- Interior looks ok, while it gives a totally premium feel and looks from outside but not so much once you sit inside. I am used to Verna & Honda City's interior which IMO is way better than S Cross.
- There is no Rear A.C/Fan vent which is huge disappointment for my mother
- I don't know but car seriously feels very light. I hope its safe to ride on highways and can bear big crash/impacts.
- Since last S cross model was not so much of success, so my parents are very skeptical about this too but I beg to differ on this.

Next car that I took on the test drive was Jeep Compass. Well, it is out of my budget but took on test drive just to get the feel of the car as I love this car mainly because of its looks and beast engine.

Finally, I took a test drive of Creta SX+ 1.6 Diesel
Things I love
- After Jeep Compass, this is my second best car in terms of power. You can really feel the pickup of this car (Thanks to its turbo-boost and 1600 cc CRDi Engine).
- It feels perfect from inside, interior wise and space wise.
- I think resale value will be really good for this car as 1 of every 5 cars I see on road is Creta.
- Look wise it looks ok, not great though.

Things why I am in little doubt about this
- I think it's little costly depending on what they are offering. I really wanted to go for automatic version but my father is not very comfortable in riding automatic because all of his life he has driven manual version and he is not yet ready to shift to automatic, moreover automatic is way out of our budget.
- Almost all of my friends/relatives who are knowledgeable in cars have suggested going against Hyundai but I have not felt any problem in my 5 years of Hyundai Verna apart from its braking and some other little hick-ups which is normal in every car.

My questions/doubts from you.
- We drive around 1200-1500 kms in 1 month mainly for home-office-home (40km round trip) with once a month trip to out of town(usually within a 500km radius). So is it ok to have both diesel cars for this purpose? but we are gonna take this new car out of town as Hyundai Verna boot space is not good and it's really uncomfortable for the person seating on the back seats.
- As we are middle class "Indian" family so we are really concerned about the resale value of a car and mileage of a car (Kitna deti hai? [:D])
- Since we are used to keeping our cars for around 9-10 years so is it ok to buy a diesel car and do diesel cars have that much life to smoothly run for 10 years or so?
- Should I go for this model or should I buy 1.4 S+ (13,73,000)
Things missing in 1.4 S+ are
* Push button start/stop
* 1600 cc engine and therefore bhp, torque etc.
* Turbo Charger
* Chrome grille, Chrome Garnish
* Rear wiper, Rear window washer
* Auto climate control, Air Quality Control
* Driver side auto up-down, Cluster Ionizer
* Leather steering wheel
* Projector headlights
Is it really worth spending Rs 1,27,000 more on 1.6 SX+
- Any other car which is better than this Creta keeping in mind my usage and requirements.
PS - Forgive me for my poor English and all the grammatical mistakes.

Re: Alternative of Creta 1.6 SX+

Hi Ricky , welcome to TAI.
As an alternative to the creta, I suggest the Mahindra XUV 500. The first two rows are pretty spacious, has a powerful engine, decent efficiency (11in city and 16-17on the highway with a light foot.) It has a good resale value as well. With your budget , you can get the w6.
Coming to the creta , it is definitely worth stretching for the 1.6 SX +as it has a much bigger engine , and a very essential rear wash and wipe. Maybe you could get the sx or s variant instead of sx+.
PS: xuv efficiency figures as quoted by friend who owns 2015 XUV w6.

If you are ready to wait for some more time,new duster facelift is around,and i am sure it is gonna tick right boxes(Existing duster prices are also slashed down by about 1L,if you are ok with present spec,you may look into that)
My neighbour has a WR-V,so after clocking 12000km (In 6 months),what we both noticed was for its price its not a VFM car (except that it has sunroof),mileage wise too its superb(Idtec is tuned to mileage not for power).

Akash1886

Honoured Member

In my view, Hexa XMA can also be considered. It offers a bigger diesel engine with an auto box. Apart from that it has lot of features which have been listed by you and in comparison to Creta, the Hexa is a 7 seater. Also, S-Cross would be less of a car for a budget of 15L and doesn't have 1.6 option now. I feel a better option than S-Cross can be Nexon top end diesel and moreover Nexon is getting an AMT in near future as well. Coming to the after sales part, I feel, TML is improving a great deal on this front and this can also be seen with number of positive feedback given by owners of present gen TML cars. Talking of the resale, I feel, if the product is doing well in the market and enjoys respect of the buyers / owners then the resale definitely improves. Example: Maruti's Kizashi may a have low resale in our market but that does not mean that the successful cars of MSIL will have lower resale too. Same way, if any earlier TML car(s) had lower resale then that does not hold true for the present generation of TML cars necessarily. I am not suggesting the XUV & Duster here because XUV is up for a facelift in near future and the Duster (with it's price revision) has very plain looking interiors in comparison to the competition. I suggest drive a Hexa and take your call. Coming to the Compass, it is definitely a worthy product which catching up nicely in the market but the flip side being the after sales. If we compare the aftersales of TML Vs Jeep India, then surely TML has a upper hand here. In my opinion, Hexa felt more VFM than a Compass. The mid variant of Hexa isn't bare bones and it offers good features for the price.

Regards

Akash

Hi Ricky,
I dont think you have many options available against the Creta. Either you will have to go for bigger car or a higher budget. I think you should wait for the Facelifted Creta which may launch soon.
Regarding the variant, its definitely worth paying extra money for the SX+, lots of comfort and convenience features, you will love your everyday drive.
ALL THE BEST

Thread Starter #6

If you are ready to wait for some more time,new duster facelift is around,and i am sure it is gonna tick right boxes(Existing duster prices are also slashed down by about 1L,if you are ok with present spec,you may look into that)
My neighbour has a WR-V,so after clocking 12000km (In 6 months),what we both noticed was for its price its not a VFM car (except that it has sunroof),mileage wise too its superb(Idtec is tuned to mileage not for power).
Thank you, Vishnu for taking time out and give your precious suggestion. I have never owned a Renault car and I don't know anyone who owns any Renault car, so if you have any experience with the Renault then how is their after sales and services? I think Duster was and probably will be a hot selling car so resale value of the car won't be a problem. I can wait for maximum a month because I will sell my Honda City in few days as I have a buyer who is willing to buy it at a good price and with 1 car we will face a little problem.

Sir,if you are planning to buy a car in a month or so,i am almost sure that facelift if expected only by june . If you are interested with present model you may look into it.
Regarding ASS, it depends regionally, but as of my experience here, the cost is comparable to that of owning a hyundai . My uncle has a Scala ,for normal 10k service it costs around 6k,while 20k costs 8k-10k.(His service he does in chennai)A duster which my friend owns ,usually also costs in the same rates here.What i felt in higher side was,the parts such as interior panels etc is a bit costly compared to hyundais(the cost for renault being 1500-2000 for a panel where one rests their elbow in rear side)For the cost you pay ,interiors won't be plush as hyundai ,but engine is more reliable than a hyundai. In scala i get mileage in chennai traffic 18kmpl,and in highways 25kmpl.(Tank fill method,and mid is almost same)
Duster you may reduce 2kmpl as due to its weight.
The 110PS version is a gem of engine.

Thread Starter #8

Hi Ricky,
I dont think you have many options available against the Creta. Either you will have to go for bigger car or a higher budget. I think you should wait for the Facelifted Creta which may launch soon.
Regarding the variant, its definitely worth paying extra money for the SX+, lots of comfort and convenience features, you will love your everyday drive.
ALL THE BEST
I totally agree with you. Problem is we have already expanded our budget from 11L to 15L and that's a maximum we can go and moreover my parents are just in love with the style statement/looks of the Creta, almost 1 out of 6 cars on road is Creta (just estimate on day to day observation in my city at least) that further reassures my parents and my trust in this car and in past 5 years we have no major complaints from Hyundai Verna.
About model, I was now confused between SX+ & SX+ Dual Tone (so much confused that I am having sleepless nights from last few days). SX+ Dual Tone is offering 17-inch diamond cut alloys which are just fabulous, that piano black finish roof gives sporty look to the car and it's absolutely beautiful with the price difference of only 40k.

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Creta is not at all VFM if you compare it with any car. I was going to suggest you the verna but you already own one.
I don't like diesel cars and since you already own a verna diesel you should buy a petrol and you can always switch to verna for long distance travel.

About the s-cross - you should check the build quality again. Its the toughest maruti product so don't get confused about the same.
I agree with silvereyes
I was in the same dilemma what to chose after the verna. S cross was perfect for me but dad said the interior space is similar to the verna and I didn't want to have a diesel car. So bought a d segment car. Check the Elantra petrol and you could get around 1 lakh rupees discount and within your 15 lakhs budget.

If you want diesel get the s-cross or the ecosport.

I totally agree with you. Problem is we have already expanded our budget from 11L to 15L and that's a maximum we can go and moreover my parents are just in love with the style statement/looks of the Creta, almost 1 out of 6 cars on road is Creta (just estimate on day to day observation in my city at least) that further reassures my parents and my trust in this car and in past 5 years we have no major complaints from Hyundai Verna.
About model, I was now confused between SX+ & SX+ Dual Tone (so much confused that I am having sleepless nights from last few days). SX+ Dual Tone is offering 17-inch diamond cut alloys which are just fabulous, that piano black finish roof gives sporty look to the car and it's absolutely beautiful with the price difference of only 40k.
I think you should go for the Dual tone beauty, the car looks stunner and much updated in the dual tone avatar with those Stylish Alloys.

Creta is one of the hot-selling cars for a reason.
It has awesome quality at given price and low-speed ride quality is much better than its counterparts. If you are willing to go for it, nothing better than that.
If you wish for a 7-seater spacious vehicle at similar price, go with XUV5OO W6 1.99 diesel variant. It is not so smooth in low-speed ride quality, but than it is awesome VFM for features on offer and overall performance.

Haggle a bit hard and you can snatch good bargain on XUVs as new 170bhp model is rumoured to be launched in next few months.

This is the segment where Hyundai has hammered hard to push its Creta to way above all contenders; and has set a bench mark for all its rivals.If you can extend a budget to buy top end Creta MT then you get lot of features which Hyundai offers on most of its models. The only thing you misses out is the driving pleasure, which I would rate 4/5 comparing Ford EcoSports.

If you do not wish to extend above 15 lakhs then Ford EcoSports is the best package for your requirement. You can save lot of money even buying a top end variant. Also Ford is really cheaper on maintenance.

One thought, if you do not wish to buy Creta SX(O), leave the thought of buying this car; you may end up missing so many things plus the safety feature-> ESC.

Thread Starter #13
This is the segment where Hyundai has hammered hard to push its Creta to way above all contenders; and has set a bench mark for all its rivals.If you can extend a budget to buy top end Creta MT then you get lot of features which Hyundai offers on most of its models. The only thing you misses out is the driving pleasure, which I would rate 4/5 comparing Ford EcoSports.

If you do not wish to extend above 15 lakhs then Ford EcoSports is the best package for your requirement. You can save lot of money even buying a top end variant. Also Ford is really cheaper on maintenance.

One thought, if you do not wish to buy Creta SX(O), leave the thought of buying this car; you may end up missing so many things plus the safety feature-> ESC.
Thank you, Amit for your suggestion. SX(O) is way out of my budget. It is almost 16.3L OR whereas SX+ is 14.98L OR. I also took the TD of Ford Ecosport and compare to creta it is little compact from inside. Rest everything in that car was superb, cabin noise was minimal of all the other cars that I have driven till now.The driving experience was just fabulous and the suspension was just superb but I am gonna skip this one for now. I am going to book SX+ today. Thank you for everyone for their suggestions.

To the moderators, you can close this thread if you want. I have made my decision of buying SX+ Diesel. Thank you, everyone for their suggestions and for their valuable opinions.

To the moderators, you can close this thread if you want. I have made my decision of buying SX+ Diesel. Thank you, everyone for their suggestions and for their valuable opinions.
Congratulations on your finalising Hyundai Creta and if its going tobe creta it has tobe its 1.6L engine.I would advice to stick to this thread for further discussion taking your purchase queries, pre deliveries enquiries as well as any questions doubts you have till you get your ride on hands.
Keep updating about your progress on bookings, discounts and offers you getting from your dealer.

Thread Starter #15
Congratulations on your finalising Hyundai Creta and if its going tobe creta it has tobe its 1.6L engine.I would advice to stick to this thread for further discussion taking your purchase queries, pre deliveries enquiries as well as any questions doubts you have till you get your ride on hands.
Keep updating about your progress on bookings, discounts and offers you getting from your dealer.
Sure. I can provide my first update on bookings, discounts, and offers. I think all Hyundai Dealers here in my city has done some kind of pool that they are not going to give a discount of even Rs 1 and offers. All of them are literally giving no offers at all and give one common answer that is our hot selling car, therefore, no discounts and offers. I have received the quotations from all the 4 Hyundai dealers in my city and after all my efforts there is zero to 1k of maximum difference in their quotations. The only difference of price seems to be in their insurance prices which is understandable IMO since they may have the tie-up with different insurance companies but other than that there is literally no difference. I have one relative who knows the owner of one of the Hyundai dealer very well so he is gonna try to convince him for some discount or offer, so hoping for the best. Any suggestions how can I save some money?

Top Bottom