A Worthy Upgrade For Fiat Linea T-Jet?

Thread Starter #1
Hello to all my friends

I have an almost 7 years old Linea T-Jet with 50K on the ODO. I love the car and have no issues with it. However, it is getting old, in terms of number years. So, am in a dilemma about which I would like to get an opinion from you guys.

I plan to get a new car, but it should be an upgrade to the Linea. So, in your opinion what would be a suitable upgrade to Linea?

As you can see from the KMs that Linea has traveled, my running is very low. It is not more than 1000 KM a month. Below are my requirements in the order of preference:

1) Petrol Car
2) Safety
3) Very comfortable (both front as well as back)
4) Loaded with features
5) Beautiful Interiors
6) Fun to drive with good ride and handling
7) Decent mileage (atleast in double figures in Delhi NCR)
8) Solid build quality
9) Ability to take highway drives, once in a while
10) Ease of maintenance and trouble free ownership
11) The budget is around 17-18 big ones

Request opinions from all the knowledgeable folks to help me make up my mind. I am more interested in Sedans rather than Mini SUVs as my running in mostly in the city and the roads in Delhi NCR are quite good.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: A worthy upgrade for Linea T-Jet

The Cars I can think of are:

Sedans

Elantra

Top Model Honda CITY

Corolla Altis

SUV(s)

XUV-5OO

Hexa (Mid Variants)* (In-case you need a VFM 7 Seater but its diesel)

Creta

If in case you are interested in pre-owned cars too then look for BMW 3 series or X1, I guess a 2011-12 model might just fit in considering that these cars have high depreciation.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
1. If you are thinking of getting a brand new car, choices may be very limited here.
I say this because I look at the T-JET as a FTD car which can provide driving pleasure in volumes due to it's gem of an Engine and great driving dynamics owing to it's handling. This you may not get from a new car below 20L. Your pov maybe different though.

What you will get in cars within your budget is far far better, spacious, in-tune-with-the-times interiors and greater safety in terms of safety aids and features. You may or may not get the tank like build though.

I love the T-JET so my opinion maybe a bit biased here, but you gotta look past that to choose from the available options.

If you aren't a guy seeking driving pleasure, and better features and interiors appeal more to you, then there are many cars to choose from to upgrade. However, buying and owning a T-Jet in the first place, you strike to me as an enthusiast who is open to look past outdated interiors and the likes to get maximum pleasure out of driving. Just my opinion though.
I, for example, like the tactile feeling of physical buttons while driving and not touch screens as the later requires you to take your eyes off the road. So, not having a touch screen multimedia center is not a big deal for me.
Coming back to the topic, as there are not many options for a new car within the price bracket, you can opt to remap the ECU of your car from Pete's or Wolf and give her a new lease of life till something better is available in the sense of true upgrade.

2. If you are open to venture into the preowned market, there maybe a lot of options available. You may be able to get hold of nice examples from the haloed three Germans which may provide all the bells and whistles and some more than what a new car in your budget will provide.
Will leave you to it��.

Heck, a worm inside my head is thinking about the Skoda Superb 3.6 which churns out 260hp and 350nm of torque, came with 4WD and 6speed DSG. It was in production till 2014 and maybe available for cheap. It came with 8 airbags and well... everything, even an umbrella.

Another worm is thinking about a very very very similar Car to the T-JET and you can get it new with much less money. If you solely, univocally need a better driving car, It will be an upgrade in terms of engine, power, torque, handling, driving pleasure. But will offer a similar interior experience and comes without a boot. Yes, as you've guessed by now, I am talking about the Abarth Punto. With the leftover money, you can get many sets of good stickier rubber to counter the torque steer and wheel spins of the powerful engine. Many sets because you will want to burn rubber with the car.
Oh, I am dreaming now whilst typing. May have got a little carried away. I rest my case here.

Last edited:
You need a car which can make you grin everytime you feel the itch in right foot!

If you have survived with Fiat, I feel you might be able to deal with Skoda as well. Look no further, grab an Octavia 1.4 TSI for a TD. It is well within your budget. If you find a 2017 1.8 TSI, negotiate hard to get mad. It is so so much fun to drive that you'll not look at any other car.
Skoda cars are known for great quality interiors and equipped with max safety in its price bracket.
Only con is a low GC.

Another contender can be Jeep Compass 1.4 Sport Petrol. With its 160 horses coming into action at just under 4K RPMs, you'll love the way it drives in city. I TD-ed it few months back and was smiling ever after a week. [:D]
You'll be saving some money too.

Hyundai Elantra is good too. But I personally never liked it. After spending a good money if it can't keep me smiling for long, it's not meant for me. Personal opinion.

Last edited:
Honda City Ivtec (Petrol automatic,option may also be considered)
Ford Ecosport (Petrol Automatic)
These 2 have paddle shifters ,thereby your highway drive will also be enthusiastic.

As your previous ride was Fiat ,i know that the resale will be comparitively low,so thats why if you don't mind the resale factor-then you may try Skoda Octavia (both VRS and normal ones as 2nd hand ones)

To my opinion if you have driven turbo petrol car, then you may feel lazy on non turbo car. So the choices are limited considering budget near to Linea cost [I am considering below 20 Lakhs]. So only Vento Highline Plus DSG 16 can be on your list.

Even though you are using your car rarely, diesel cars are easy to maintain now a days. So think once before you choose a petrol.

If you still insist to move from turbo petrol then Verna, City, Vento, Rapid, Elantra can be on your list. The other option is to move from Sedan to compact or regular SUV's. Where you can get bundle of choices in Diesel.

Considering chances of spending money approx. 20 lakhs, I would suggest below used car,

- Toyota Corollo Altis - Diesel
- VW Jetta - Petrol/Diesel
- Hyundai Elantra - Diesel/Petrol

Honda City CVT ZX
Hyundai Verna SX(0)
Octavia TSi Base Model
Elantra Base Model
All the above cars wont tick all your preferences, but you can see which car has the most ticks.
If i had to select, i would have gone for Verna AT SX(O) or extend budget a little for the mighty OCTAVIA 1.8 TSI Style.

Thread Starter #8
Thank you everyone!!! You guys rock!!!

I have decided to enjoy the Jet for a few more years and wait for better competition to arrive in the market.

To my opinion if you have driven turbo petrol car, then you may feel lazy on non turbo car. So the choices are limited considering budget near to Linea cost [I am considering below 20 Lakhs]. So only Vento Highline Plus DSG 16 can be on your list.

Even though you are using your car rarely, diesel cars are easy to maintain now a days. So think once before you choose a petrol.

If you still insist to move from turbo petrol then Verna, City, Vento, Rapid, Elantra can be on your list. The other option is to move from Sedan to compact or regular SUV's. Where you can get bundle of choices in Diesel.

Considering chances of spending money approx. 20 lakhs, I would suggest below used car,

- Toyota Corollo Altis - Diesel
- VW Jetta - Petrol/Diesel
- Hyundai Elantra - Diesel/Petrol
Corolla Altis-Diesel -that too after driving a Linea T-Jet? Surely thats a typo!
At that rate, I would even recommend a Nexon-a petrol one at that. The best bet would be the Octavia 1.8 TSI. No other car will give the driving pleasure-not even the Compass 1.4 AT with its somewhat iffy transmission.

Thread Starter #11
Wow!
Such a mood swing in less than 24 hours flat.
Please share why you decided to stick with your existing car, after asking for a suggestion?!
Not a mood swing, but realization that there actually is no proper upgrade to the Jet in the market, as of now. I was already skeptical about the City's and Verna's and as was rightly pointed out, after the Turbo Petrol, all these feel quite lazy. Had asked for an opinion to firm up my belief.

Couple this with the genuine advice of the friends here at TAI and motivation to save the moolah and enjoy the Jet for a few more years, solidified my decision.

I too had Test Driven the 1.8 TSI and only this car would have been an upgrade, but the Skoda after sales and the fear of DSG kept me at bay and money in my pocket [:D]

Hope this clarifies...

You did the right thing my friend. The only proper upgrade to the jet is the Octavia VRS or the Octavia 1.8 TSI and why sell the jet when it is in proper mechanical condition. Maybe you can get a remap done to keep things interesting for the next two three years.[:)]

Top Bottom