Honda City vs Tata Nexon

Thread Starter #1
Planning to replace my 9-year-old Maruti Alto. And here comes my confusion, Honda City IVTEC vs Tata Nexon XZ Plus

Yes! a Petrol vs Diesel, A Sedan vs Compact Suv. I know both of the cars are in two different leagues. But, there are some common points to consider,
Pricing : Nexon on road price ~ 10.80 Lakhs
City on road price ~ 11 Lakhs
Features : Both of them offers similar features and gizmos. (

Now comes the question, which one should I go for?

My monthly running will be around 1200-1500 km.

For Honda city
That tried and tested sweet iVtec petrol engine
Bigger car, more space, and more premium feel
Reliability
Higher resale value ( I will not keep this car more than 5 years)

For Tata Nexon
Ground Clearance and 16" wheels
Fresh looks
Diesel - will give more mileage
Better build quality

Test drived both cars and I'm equally impressed.
We don't know about the long-term reliability factor of the 1.5 revotorq diesel engine in Nexon.
I may lose the advantage of low fuel cost in the resale value of Nexon.
Now dear friends, Please help me to choose one from this.

I think the resale value of both would be the same since Diesel cars often have much higher resale value compared to petrol cars and also Tata new gen cars are having better resale value compared to older ones. Are you getting top model of Honda City for 11L? I am surprised to find it to have similar features as Nexon.
Honda City -
+ves-
- Bigger car (longer)
- Smoother Petrol engine that too ivtech
- Better leg space (most impressive factor)
- Nice interiors
- Better boot space
- Higher servicing cost
- Proven ivtech engine
-ves:
Very poor built quality. Accident pics seem threatening.
Parking long car is a pain in the city

Tata Nexon:
+ves:
- Awesome built quality
- Nice interiors
- not so common. Novelty Factor. Eye catching and head turning looks.
- fat meaty looking tyres
- low service costs
- Awesome 260NM Torque
- Much more FE compared to city.
- Easier to park being only 4m.
- Nice view of the road due to the high seats
-ves:
- New kid on the block
- very wide with the fenders is difficult to drive in the narrow lanes

Its a very close call with the Nexon being marginally more favourable.

Continue keeping your eyes closed, and pick the one which you are so acquainted with. The Honda City, petrol one.
Your low running commands only for a petrol engine, and no car in this price bracket beat a Honda City in terms of refinement and no-fuss performance. It comes preloaded with peace-of-mind.

* This is coming from a person who is having a new Tata and played with new City a bit. [:)]

Akash1886

Honoured Member
If Petrol, then Honda CITY Ivtec and if Diesel then Nexon hands down. I own a 3rd Gen CITY Ivtec for past 6+ years now and it has been a bliss owning it. As for the Nexon, as highlighted above, it is a VFM, Tough and equally pleasing to the eyes car with contemporary interiors. I will go for a Nexon Diesel myself too in this year most likely and as far as re-sale is concerned, if you individually sell your car to the new buyer you'll not be at loss. Selling a car by portals or middle men can lead to loss but 1-to-1 selling is far more secure and beneficial. I own a Tigor too and I am very happy with the TML & Product.

Regards

Akash

kkn13

Suspended
Apples to Oranges comparison
Personally after years of Hondas and currently a City 2010 as my current daily car, definitely Honda
IVTEC is a vastly refined and superior engine
As for build, current City is a step down from the 3rd gen City but certainly one of the best cars out there. Dont listen to people claiming its poor . Also no issues parking the car in a city like Mumbai at all, its not a massive car that requires oodles of space
Also rear bench is easily best in class in the City
Only con is low ground clearance which is 165mm, which is good enough for 99% of speedbreakers and can be improved with 195 and above tyre size from stock 175

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
1) Apples to Oranges comparison
2) Only con is low ground clearance which is 165mm, which is good enough for 99% of speed breakers and can be improved with 195 and above tyre size from stock 175
1) 1.5 diesel of Nexon is a stonker of an engine.It is no orange,not at all.Its even a better apple than diesel city,which feels powerless and noisy and gasping.
2) Well in my city (and around too) it's good enough for only 9% of speed breakers.Honda city scraps on almost all of them.And Nexon clears 100% of them,daily in and out.

Last edited:
Apologies, but you have not provided your use case to pin point really which is better. The one which you have posted is basically an open ended question to which you will surely not get a proper answer. If you can list down what you are expecting from your car, then probably you will receive more direct answers. Else this thread will basically become Honda vs Tata [lol]

If nothing works out, take a coin. Assign each side to each car. Toss it in the air. When it is in the air, you will surely earn for one of the sides to fall. THAT IS your heart's choice. Go for it.

All the best for your purchase.

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended
1) 1.5 diesel of Nexon is a stonker of an engine.It is no orange,not at all.Its even a better apple than diesel city,which feels powerless and noisy and gasping.
2) Well in my city (and around too) it's good enough for only 9% of speed breakers.Honda city scraps on almost all of them.And Nexon clears 100% of them,daily in and out.
1. IDTEC is not the best diesel engine but its certainly got the edge when it comes to clutch and gearing. Its most certainly not powerless, while noisy, Nexon diesel doesnt do much better either. In fact alot of people felt Nexon being a heavy car doesnt justify the on-paper performance numbers at all.
PS- 1.5 IVTEC is a far superior engine to 1.2 Revtron , its far more refined and once you hit the VTEC rpms, it really flies

2. Not true at all. In Mumbai we have absolute craters and I have to travel alot within Mumbai and around. Mumbai has the worst roads and my City still barely scrapes despite it being a 160mm GC compared to current City's 165mm. Out of 10 speedbreakers, probably 1-2 speedbreakers itll scrape, that too only the mudflap. When laden you might face a bit of trouble but suspension is stiffer and doesnt lower GC by much compared to other cars whose GC is also 165-170mm (unladen) so really there is no choice. Some breakers need ANY sedan to take it at an angle regardless and cannot be helped.
A simple tyre upsize and suspension spacers will also increase GC and is a common mod amongst 3rd gen City owners

Nexon is certainly a higher car but at the cost of a jiggly ride compared to Ecosport and Brezza given the stiff suspension setup and its also not as dynamic as Ecosport or Honda City.

If GC is a concern, Ecosport takes the cake , best of both worlds- dynamics and high GC

Apologies, but you have not provided your use case to pin point really which is better. The one which you have posted is basically an open ended question to which you will surely not get a proper answer. If you can list down what you are expecting from your car, then probably you will receive more direct answers. Else this thread will basically become Honda vs Tata [lol]

If nothing works out, take a coin. Assign each side to each car. Toss it in the air. When it is in the air, you will surely earn for one of the sides to fall. THAT IS your heart's choice. Go for it.

All the best for your purchase.
Agreed !
My understanding is he wants a reliable, fun to drive car which he can use and sell after 4-5 years at a good price. He expects good after sales , fit and finish etc
Ideal case- Honda City is a safer buy and its a proven product which ticks all his boxes . The sales figures despite heavy competition over the past 2 decades is proof of that

Nexon is yet to prove itself in every department

PS- Why are Ecosport, Creta and Verna not considered? These offer great value for money and also tick all the boxes

Last edited:
1. IDTEC is not the best diesel engine but its certainly got the edge when it comes to clutch and gearing. Its most certainly not powerless, while noisy, Nexon diesel doesnt do much better either. In fact alot of people felt Nexon being a heavy car doesnt justify the on-paper performance numbers at all.
The City Diesel NVH is pretty bad. It would be as bad as that in the old generation swift or something of that class. Take a noise measurement app and measure it, and then conclude. The Nexon is much more silent, and the interior noise is around 35dB at idle, which is among the quitest. The Jeep is only marginally better at 30dB. And in terms of pickup, the Nexon is far, far better. I've driven the City extensively and I am not making an educated guess based on second hand information about the performance.

Nexon is certainly a higher car but at the cost of a jiggly ride compared to Ecosport and Brezza given the stiff suspension setup and its also not as dynamic as Ecosport or Honda City.

If GC is a concern, Ecosport takes the cake , best of both worlds- dynamics and high GC
Again you're making a statement without experiencing all the cars that you've mentioned. The City ride quality is not good on bad roads. You must slow down. Handling is definitely better around corners in the City, but that's true for every sedan in the world when compared to a SUV. The EcoSport ride quality is similar to that of the Nexon. Creta is worse than the EcoSport. Hyundais are not made for bad roads. Handling wise, please read the recent autocar review. NEXON takes the cake, and even the reviewer was forced to admit that.
Nexon is yet to prove itself in every department
PS- Why are Ecosport, Creta and Verna not considered? These offer great value for money and also tick all the boxes
The Nexon sold 5000 units every month since its launch, and every customer is super happy with the purchase. It is finished well, and I'd humbly request you to please talk and think like an automobile aficionado rather than a layman who wants to purchase what the masses are purchasing. I thought this is the purpose of this forum. To connect those who love cars and share unbiased opinions. Why does a product from Tata, that's world class by all standards considering the price, always meet with this unjustified skepticism based on second hand facts?

The Creta is overpriced by a huge margin. It does not ride well. If it were priced at around 10 lakhs for the mid variant, it would be VFM. Right now, it is not. The Verna is better than the city in terms of build, finish and refinement, but the rear space is quite bad. It was better in the first generation verna.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
The Verna is better than the city in terms of build, finish and refinement, but the rear space is quite bad. It was better in the first generation verna.
Compared to CITY, the space is bit low indeed in Verna but the rear seats are quite well cushioned with good under-thigh support buddy and yes the Hyundai's present gen diesel cars are well refined.

Regards

Akash

Hi Motorcyclist,
I think the discussions will become more and more technical and debatable, confusing you further in deciding the car.
The best thing i suggest is you open a poll for the above cars.
SIMPLE

Planning to replace my 9-year-old Maruti Alto. And here comes my confusion, Honda City IVTEC vs Tata Nexon XZ Plus

Yes! a Petrol vs Diesel, A Sedan vs Compact Suv. I know both of the cars are in two different leagues. But, there are some common points to consider,
Pricing : Nexon on road price ~ 10.80 Lakhs
City on road price ~ 11 Lakhs
Features : Both of them offers similar features and gizmos. (

Now comes the question, which one should I go for?

My monthly running will be around 1200-1500 km.

For Honda city
That tried and tested sweet iVtec petrol engine
Bigger car, more space, and more premium feel
Reliability
Higher resale value ( I will not keep this car more than 5 years)

For Tata Nexon
Ground Clearance and 16" wheels
Fresh looks
Diesel - will give more mileage
Better build quality

Test drived both cars and I'm equally impressed.
We don't know about the long-term reliability factor of the 1.5 revotorq diesel engine in Nexon.
I may lose the advantage of low fuel cost in the resale value of Nexon.
Now dear friends, Please help me to choose one from this.
After having Nexon Diesel for almost 4000 Kms on different types of roads and terrain, I can vouch for it!!
It is safe, easy to handle and gobbles up bad road. It is extremely stable at high speed and has good pick up
Power delivery is linear, and mileage is decent..

So if you are looking for an all terrain vehicle go for Nexon for sure

Top Bottom