Used Car Within Rs.2 Lakh. Usage Highway:City 75:25

Thread Starter #1
Hey guys posting after a very long time.

It's been almost 6 months I have shifted to Hyderabad from Pune for my first job. Back home our garage consists of a 2012 Laura L&K TDI DSG @ 1 lakh km and 2016 XUV5000 W10 AT @ 35k km.

It's been only slightly more than a year I started driving but back home I used to drive the Laura daily to and from college and quite often on the weekends to a lot of places. Once every week we would have a night drive to Lonavala, Tamhini, Mahabaleshwar, Diveager, Alibaug and sometimes even Mumbai. So I had literally got addicted to driving and driving a lot.

Now coming to current times. The only chance when I get to drive here in Hyderabad is a colleague's automatic Celerio to and from office but that's barely 3km. And I have driven the Celerio to Ananthagiri but it's not as rewarding. I enjoyed driving my friend's 1.0 Manual Spark a lot more. And every now and then I crave to drive, pretty much every Friday night or weekends.

Sorry for the long read now coming to the point. I rather want than need a car for some driving pleasure. I'll be staying in Hyderabad for at least next 2 years. My monthly drive use would be around 2k out of which 1.5k on the highway and rest in the city. The MOST IMPORTANT requirement would be losing the minimum amount of money in depreciation while owning the car.
Other Requirements:
1. At least a 1.0 lt engine
2. Manual
3. Ac and Power windows
4. Decent steering feel
5. Easy to work on, as I would like to learn how to do some DIY.
6. FE around 15-16kmpl. This can be ignored if it's some 1.5 engine[clap].

Some cars already in mind: Chevvy Spark, Alto k10 City DX vtec , Ikon 1.6.

Thanks in advance [:D]

Re: Used car within 2 lakhs. Usage Highway : City 75:25

How about an SX4 1.6 Petrol? It should easily be available for 2 lakhs and you would not lose much in depreciation. If you don't want an SX4 again, maybe you could try hunting for a well maintained fiesta1.6S . It probably will be within your budget and is know for it's driving pleasure[:)].

Last edited:

Dont go for Chevy Spark, the resale and after service can effect you.
You can find many good options available under 2.5lacs like
Swift
Dzire
City Dolphin
much better in ASS and Resale.
If not for the mileage point, you could have get yourself a Civic and enjoyed your drives.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Hey guys posting after a very long time.

Some cars already in mind: Chevvy Spark, Alto k10 City DX vtec , Ikon 1.6.
I would opt for a used Honda CITY any day above all the listed options because it is reliable, less hassle and modification friendly. Honda's service network isn't bad either just that the spares might cost a bit high. Chevrolet is now non-operational in India so do not go for it even if used.

How about an SX4 1.6 Petrol? It should easily be available for 2 lakhs and you would not lose much in depreciation. If you don't want an SX4 again, maybe you could try hunting for a well maintained fiesta1.6S . It probably will be within your budget and is know for it's driving pleasure.
I owned an SX4 Petrol, one great car to drive. Maruti's service advantage is always there but the biggest thing is it has a big appetite for fuel. A 1000 Rs. fuel god knows goes in which corner of it's tummy. My car did not have that DTE feature too. FE is on lower side in petrol model.

Regards

Akash

0. minimum amount of money in depreciation while owning the car.
1. At least a 1.0 lt engine
2. Manual
3. Ac and Power windows
4. Decent steering feel
5. Easy to work on, as I would like to learn how to do some DIY.
6. FE around 15-16kmpl. This can be ignored if it's some 1.5 engine[clap].

Some cars already in mind: Chevvy Spark, Alto k10 City DX vtec , Ikon 1.6
Chevy Spark - 0 and 4 can't be met. With GM's current situation in India forget about the resale after couple of years
Alto K10 - Safe bet, except steering feel
City - you mean ZX vtec? Again it loses the steering feel, speaking from my ownership experience.
Ikon - Brilliant car with excellent driving dynamics, but maintenance these days are little difficult. Same for resale.

You may consider Feista 1.6 or Ritz

kkn13

Suspended
Go for City or Ritz diesel(petrol is also alright)
having owned both cars , neither will disappoint and will suit requirements perfectly

Ritz diesel has hydraulic steering, heavy - the fun kind

Thread Starter #7

How about an SX4 1.6 Petrol? It should easily be available for 2 lakhs and you would not lose much in depreciation. If you don't want an SX4 again, maybe you could try hunting for a well maintained fiesta1.6S . It probably will be within your budget and is know for it's driving pleasure[:)].
Thanks buddy. We had an SX4 1.6 for 9 years so not too keen on owning another one. And it returned really abysmal FE. Fiesta 1.6S would be a lot of fun but I'm not able to find many under 3 lakh, stretching my budget to 3lk or plus would be difficult. How much does it cost to do the yearly maintenance on a Fiesta?

Dont go for Chevy Spark, the resale and after service can effect you.
You can find many good options available under 2.5lacs like
Swift
Dzire
City Dolphin
much better in ASS and Resale.
If not for the mileage point, you could have get yourself a Civic and enjoyed your drives.
Thanks buddy. My heart wants the Civic, but I won't be able to afford it's daily running costs. I have seen the Swift and Dzire tend to rattle a lot after 4-5 years, in my budget most cars are going to be older than that. Believe it or not, it seems quite difficult to find a Maruti under 2lakh which sold in good numbers. City Dolphin seems to be a good choice although the older generation appeals more to me. How much would a yearly service cost on a City?

I would opt for a used Honda CITY any day above all the listed options because it is reliable, less hassle and modification friendly. Honda's service network isn't bad either just that the spares might cost a bit high. Chevrolet is now non-operational in India so do not go for it even if used.

I owned an SX4 Petrol, one great car to drive. Maruti's service advantage is always there but the biggest thing is it has a big appetite for fuel. A 1000 Rs. fuel god knows goes in which corner of it's tummy. My car did not have that DTE feature too. FE is on lower side in petrol model.
Thanks buddy. We had an SX4 1.6 for 9 years so not too keen on owning another one. Even though it made good power, FE was really poor. For now the Honda City seems to be the best bet.
The first generation too had 1.5 lt version that came with Vtec right?

Chevy Spark - 0 and 4 can't be met. With GM's current situation in India forget about the resale after couple of years
Alto K10 - Safe bet, except steering feel
City - you mean ZX vtec? Again it loses the steering feel, speaking from my ownership experience.
Ikon - Brilliant car with excellent driving dynamics, but maintenance these days are little difficult. Same for resale.

You may consider Feista 1.6 or Ritz
Thanks buddy. I meant the first generation City, even that had a 1.5 version which had vtec right? I don't mind the ZX either just that it'll be around 50-60k costlier than the older one. Even I am skeptic about the Ikon.

Go for City or Ritz diesel(petrol is also alright)
having owned both cars , neither will disappoint and will suit requirements perfectly

Ritz diesel has hydraulic steering, heavy - the fun kind
Thanks buddy. Heavy steering is the kind of I'm looking for. The turbo shove from these 1.3 lt engines is quite addictive. I'm considering Swift and Ritz diesels, but I'm worried about older diesel cars, in my budget the cars that I'm looking at are already 5-6 years old. From what I have heard they can be costlier to maintain after a certain point of time, please correct me if I am wrong.

Will be going to checkout some used cars dealer, fingers crossed I find some good deals. People from Hyderabad it would be great if you could suggest some reliable used car dealers?

My neighbour has a City(Dolphin) fitted with CNG, and he takes his car to the FNG, so its cheaper to maintain. Dont know the exact Annual maintenance though.
My dad has a Swift DDIS since Jan'08, its run 1.25lac kms, and still very low on maintenance,still comfortable to drive, still very fuel efficient with not much rattling noise.

kkn13

Suspended
Yeah I can vouch for 1.3 DDiS/ MJD being easy on the pocket even years later

See any aged car will have higher maintenance costs compared to a new one but its good to opt for an engine thats still in production/ nearly phased out so you have parts for 5-10 years

1.3 MJD may or may not see the BS VI version in India but itll probably be phased out in 2019/2020
After that , its parts etc will still be easy given the number of car on our roads

Not the case with the other mentioned cars except VTEC/IVTEC cars

I have a City IDSi (Dolphin model) in my family for past 12 years now and i can vouch for it being a decent car for highway commutes. Its decent on power and returns a decent efficiency of 14-16kmpl (highway). While upkeep costs are low, you will have to compromise of the driving pleasure a little, thanks to its super light (i call it super dead) steering.

Others cars that you may want to consider is the Swift petrol. Its one gem of a car!

kkn13

Suspended
Avoid older Fords, they were more expensive to maintain, tougher to get parts for and less reliable than current gen
I know from my friends experiences with older Endeavour and Fiesta

Thanks buddy. We had an SX4 1.6 for 9 years so not too keen on owning another one. And it returned really abysmal FE. Fiesta 1.6S would be a lot of fun but I'm not able to find many under 3 lakh, stretching my budget to 3lk or plus would be difficult. How much does it cost to do the yearly maintenance on a Fiesta?
Looks like the sx4 does have some serious appetite problems. Yearly maintenance of a fiesta might be around 7-8k. You could definitely consider a first gen swift or ritz. They definitely are one of the best combinations of efficiency and performance.[:)]

Top Bottom