Need a Diesel Hatch To Replace 15 Year Old Santro

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I would like hear some useful opinion in choosing a hatch to replace my 15 year old Santro that crossed 200000 kms.

Used by myself until 2014 after I bought in 2003, this car was used by my wife for 500kms monthly usage but now I would like to replace with a diesel or petrol automatic with decent fuel efficiency.

Now, I would like to share this car with her for my business use as well.

Criteria to be considered.
1. Budget - 6 to 8 lakhs. Don't want to exceed that figure. Will keep this car for 10 years.

2. Monthly usage - 500 kms by my wife and 3000 kms by me. Total - appx. 40000kms a year.

3. Fuel - Diesel or Petrol AMT with good FE. I wouldn't mind considering Petrol AMT given Rs.8 difference between both fuels.

4. Key requirements, not in any order. If i could get all - GREAT!
a) Safety
b) low maintenance
c) Good Fuel efficiency
d) Long lasting without any niggles
e) Excellent ride quality and good driveability
f) warranty of 150000 kms would be an Added bonus
g) mileage - 20+ overall on diesel and
18+ overall on an AMT. Strictly realistic and NOT based on MID.

5. Things I can't live without.
a) Powerful headlamp and fog lamp.
b) Great A/C - need not be an Auto
c) Reasonable boot - 250 litres +. Added bonus if split rear seats available.
d) firm and comfortable seats for long distance travel.
e) rear parking sensors
f) driver seat height adjust
g) Rear wiper and Defogger

6. Things I can live without.
a) Gizmos
b) projector head lamps
c) DTE or Instantaneous FE
d) Touch screen audio and navigation
e) Retractable mirrors though electric adjustment is welcome.
f) push button start
g) Steering mounted controls. I prefer leather wrapped steering but it can be done outside
h) Alloy wheels which can be added later.

I know my requirements are similar to more than 50% of car buyers looking for a car for high kms usage.

I sincerely welcome honest suggestions based on ownership experience of members and their near and dear ones and not on formed and biased opinions to a manufacturer. Any manufacturer is open to be looked at based on my needs.

AS OF NOW, I HAVE NO CAR IN MIND AND WOULD LIKE TO START THE HUNT BASED ON FEED BACKS.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Based on my experience, I would suggest Tigor AMT. If you are comfortable with driving a reasonably refined 3 cylinder petrol then this can serve the purpose. I own a Tigor 1.2 and so far haven't had issues. Being a notchback, it doesn't get rear wiper but defogger is there. You can opt for XZ variant. Also you can check for the Ford Aspire that's also a good and well-featured car. In hatchbacks, Grand i10, Tiago are there. If you are planning to go with MSIL cars, I think new Swift or Baleno will be fine. I would have suggested you to look at the Nexon too but as of now it is not having AMT. However, if you have 2-3 months to decide, then wait for the Nexon AMT.

Regards

Akash

With your usage of about 3,500 KMs in a month, diesel should be the fuel.
And with such heavy use, I'd recommend to stretch your budget a bit and get a manual diesel compact sedan. Dzire VDi or Hyundai Xcent SX (CRDi) are the final contenders.

If you keen on getting a petrol AMT, try Dzire VXi AMT. It is pretty a potent car.

I would suggest to refrain from picking a 3-pit engine car like Tiago/Tigor/TUV300/Polo(Petrol), etc. With its noisy nature, you'll get irritated pretty quickly.

Thread Starter #5
Hi Akash,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Based on my experience, I would suggest Tigor AMT. If you are comfortable with driving a reasonably refined 3 cylinder petrol then this can serve the purpose. I own a Tigor 1.2 and so far haven't had issues. Being a notchback, it doesn't get rear wiper but defogger is there. You can opt for XZ variant.
I've never owned or driven a TATA for any distance forget long, though it is strange that I've more than 800K kms of driving experience in all sorts of roads. I'm uncertain of its Fuel efficiency. I've to have proper feedback from owners to have any idea. My drives involve a lot of 20-30kms drives totaling 200-300 kms a trip driven mainly on a mixture of NH, SH and rural roads for my work. It also involves a couple of long distance (400+kms one-way) travel a month.

My brother owns a Figo Aspire Titanium Diesel, driven 42000kms in 18 months and there exists a genuine issue of car pulling towards left during deceleration and towards right when accelerated. It is a strange phenomenon I've encountered in any car when I drove it personally. The car was sent back to Ford multiple times and they returned back saying it's normal. I've read on the internet about this being a common issue with Ford KA worldwide. Just a google search of this issue threw back various examples of this in present and past KA models.

The issue still persists in my brother's car even after Ford changed the MRF's to Michelin XM2 after 20K kms under warranty citing this to be a tyre issue. i could see similar problems posted in our forum earlier with Figo twins and I could relate!

I also own a Ford fiesta Diesel (Global model 2015 make done 50k kms) and I find Figo twins to be inferior. I do understand these are priced at different slots though Global Fiesta discontinued sadly.

Owning a Fiesta, being a sedan I prefer the other car to be a hatch easier to park and drive for my wife as well as used simultaneously by me. Owing to the steering issue I would like to look the other way from Figo hatch and it's ironical one has to sway away from Ford for steering feedback!

Dzire VDi or Hyundai Xcent SX (CRDi) are the final contenders.
My budget is 8.00 Lakhs and I do not wish to go for a loan. I test drove Hyundai New Verna and was amazed by the torque on offer right from 1250 rpm. Even the steering was neutral. The ride quality was acceptable but base E version was bare basic without seat height adjust and fog lamps. I was not sure if the dealer can provide projector fog lamps as in other variants starting EX fro E. The base price itself costing 10.75 at my place and definitely sits outside of my target range. I will sure explore Dzire as I have no idea of its prices and variants.

Considering your requirements and long term reliablity (Strength, Safety),
I would say Nexon Diesel.
I took a short test drive of Nexon diesel 15 days back and found the S mode to be driveable. E and City modes were dull for any overtaking. The ride itself didnt meet my expectations as the suspension pitched and bobbed similar to Vento TSI I owned earlier. Also, the visibility
Moreover, strangely Driver seat height adjust, front fog lamps, D/N IRVM, reverse sensors and defogger were offered only on XZ+ variants. XZ+ is out of my budget.

I could see only VAG group and Toyota kitting their variants very well right from basic version with essentials and adding Value added features higher up the range.

Last edited:
My budget is 8.00 Lakhs and I do not wish to go for a loan. I test drove Hyundai New Verna and was amazed by the torque on offer right from 1250 rpm. Even the steering was neutral. The ride quality was acceptable but base E version was bare basic without seat height adjust and fog lamps. I was not sure if the dealer can provide projector fog lamps as in other variants starting EX fro E. The base price itself costing 10.75 at my place and definitely sits outside of my target range. I will sure explore Dzire as I have no idea of its prices and variants.
I guess with so much to read you skipped few crucial words. Hyundai doesnot means Verna always. If you wish, read my post again.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Considering your requirements and long term reliablity (Strength, Safety),
I would say Nexon Diesel.
Nexon is surely very good contender with a big diesel mill and standard safety features but the OP is on a defined budget so diesel Nexon can't fit in. His requirement of an AMT at present is not fulfilled too. I guess XT & XZ+ variants are good provided the budget is extended.

I would suggest to refrain from picking a 3-pit engine car like Tiago/Tigor/TUV300/Polo(Petrol), etc. With its noisy nature, you'll get irritated pretty quickly.
I agree that with comparison to 4 Cylinder & 3 Cylinder, the 3 cylinder has it's limitations but I feel comparing to AMEO 3 Cylinder petrol, the Tigor's engine much more refined. If not Tigor then surely Xcent makes a good option too. Apart from that if possible then check for the Amaze too. The issue of getting stuck in water has been sorted as I am aware.

I've never owned or driven a TATA for any distance forget long, though it is strange that I've more than 800K kms of driving experience in all sorts of roads. I'm uncertain of its Fuel efficiency. I've to have proper feedback from owners to have any idea. My drives involve a lot of 20-30kms drives totaling 200-300 kms a trip driven mainly on a mixture of NH, SH and rural roads for my work. It also involves a couple of long distance (400+kms one-way) travel a month.
Prior to Tigor I too did not own any TML cars. My 1st TML car is Tigor and it is my 1st compact sedan too. In the City driving I am satisfied with it's reasonably good performance (FE Aside). On bad roads, haven't had a disappointment really. I am planning for a 550Km round trip in mid February with the Tigor and it would be the 1st time I'll be taking it on a extensive highway drive. Will revert with the experience on my owner's review.

My brother owns a Figo Aspire Titanium Diesel, driven 42000kms in 18 months and there exists a genuine issue of car pulling towards left during deceleration and towards right when accelerated. It is a strange phenomenon I've encountered in any car when I drove it personally.

The issue still persists in my brother's car even after Ford changed the MRF's to Michelin XM2 after 20K kms under warranty citing this to be a tyre issue. i could see similar problems posted in our forum earlier with Figo twins and I could relate!
In that case, as suggested, look for the Xcent & Amaze as well.

Owning a Fiesta, being a sedan I prefer the other car to be a hatch easier to park and drive for my wife as well as used simultaneously by me. Owing to the steering issue I would like to look the other way from Figo hatch and it's ironical one has to sway away from Ford for steering feedback!
I agree and like you, since I owned big sedans and still have one, so I too preferred a compact car which is easy to drive and park.

Since you are on a defined budget with no scope of increase buddy, stick with Hyundai or MSIL then. As you haven't owned a TML car or have driven one, so, surely you'll have your set of doubts but to be honest, there is no harm in considering the new age TML cars as per my experience. You can refer to the various ownership experiences of new TML cars & owners on our forum for a fair idea.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #8
I guess with so much to read you skipped few crucial words. Hyundai doesnot means Verna always. If you wish, read my post again.
Sorry, I overlooked and I sure would have to look at them.

Since you are on a defined budget with no scope of increase buddy, stick with Hyundai or MSIL then. As you haven't owned a TML car or have driven one, so, surely you'll have your set of doubts but to be honest, there is no harm in considering the new age TML cars as per my experience.
I guess, to start with, I've listed a few cars that may fit my range excluding a couple of cars for certain reasons. I will evaluate each on its merits and demerits and I'm sure I'll consider TMIL based on renewed hope by the manufacturer.

Cars (medium hatch and CS) that would fit into my budget and can be considered are as follows:

DIESEL CARS
1. Nissan Micra
2. Etios Liva
3. TIAGO or TIGOR
4. New Swift
5. Xcent or GRAND i10

DIESEL CARS I prefer to avoid for only the cited reasons, they have their own +ves.
1. FIGO - For issues explained earlier and I already own same engine in a sedan
2. PUNTO - uncertain future and local dealer ship closed down a couple of months back
3. AMAZE - Owned a car couple of years back and sold after 74000 Kms. Engine and Road Noise are untolerable.

PETROL CARS: (provided they offer 18+ overall considering 40K annual drive and leser diff. of petrol to diesel price and lower up-front cost)
1. Ignis AMT
2. Baleno CVT
3. Etios Petrol
4. Tigor AMT (unsure of FE. No feedback available)
5. New SWIFT - AMT

I'll consider petrol only if they are fuel efficient and stable on highway at speeds of 100-120 kmph and on occasional bursts to overtake above 120 for a short stint and has to be atleast Rs.50K cheaper than my budget of 8 lakhs On-road, I would not like to consider a Petrol at Rs.8 Lakhs at which I prefer a diesel hatch.

Volkswagen and Hyundai Petrols are not considered for their lower fuel efficiency.

I hope I've enlisted the cars that may fit into my priorities.
Of these Etios Liva is the only car I've done a test drive. Initial impressions are very good.

Positives
1. Reliable D4D engine with great to drive with slick gear shifts. NVH improved from past.
2. 5 years - 180000 Kms extended warranty
3. Strong service support at my place
4. Spacious and can accommodate 5 people and turning radius of 4.8 suits my wife to drive.
5. Even base variant is kitted with safety features.
6. Should deliver 20+ as per few owners I talked to.

Negatives
1. A dull looking interiors. Dual-tone Liva has a bit more black at center console.
2. Filmsy build. Don't know what it would be like after 4-5 years into ownership but rated 4 star safety!
3. VD Dual tone has all I need but fog lamps and reverse sensors. Dealership said they will fit at extra cost. VXD has those features but 36k price difference for Parking sensors, Fog lamps, Leather wrapped steering wheel and retractable mirrors is not VFM.

I've asked for a drive of 1.5 Petrol and the dealership said it was discontinued and they don't have a test drive of Liva Cross that's equipped with at present. I'm not sure of its Fuel efficiency as I prefer 18+ for a petrol. It was rated 17+ by ARAI, so real FE could be 10-15% lesser.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
If you have shortlisted the Ignis AMT & Baleno CVT, I'll say buy the Baleno for better appeal, aesthetics and space. I find Tiago more VFM than the Ignis too. In my view, spending 8 lacs for Ignis isn't wise. Coming to the AMT Tiago & Tigor, I suggest read this review and you'll have a fair idea of it's performance. I guess, as the same engine works for Tiago AMT & Tigor AMT so there won't be a very big difference in the FE. A lot depends on the driving habits too as far as the FE is concerned.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #10
If you have shortlisted the Ignis AMT & Baleno CVT, I'll say buy the Baleno for better appeal, aesthetics and space. I find Tiago more VFM than the Ignis too. In my view, spending 8 lacs for Ignis isn't wise.
Hi Akash, I still haven't shortlisted any. I've just outlined the models that may fit the bill. Diesel is my first priority. However, AMT petrols can be looked into as an alternative provided they are cheap to run.

If you are not very particular about Auto gearbox, why not consider the Elite I20 Diesel. With 90 bhp on tap, its a powerful hatch and 6 gears will ensure that you can cruise all day at decent speeds. i20 is a well built car and the interiors are very nice too. I'm sure with the current discounts, you maybe able to squeeze in the sports variant which comes loaded with Fog lamps, all safety features etc.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
Wait for the Auto show to get some more choices to your list, and then decide on the time-line.
I've been thinking about it and I don't wish to rush the decision as I have a sedan, a Fiesta 2015, available meanwhile for my commute. As I would keep this car for a minimum of 10 years and to be driven close to 4 lakh kms and may be even touching 5.5 to 6 lakh kms, I want to be doubly sure about the long term reliability of my pick.

Whatever the choice be, I'm quite excited to share the ownership experience with a thread in this forum throughout the journey.
It may be one heck of a ride to 500000 kms if I could manage.

Our last Figo was sold after 6 years and 315000kms just a few months back. It served well.

Considering the reliability of such a high running vehicle ,please wait for Maruti Swift 2018 (If you are ok with the boot space)
I am not sure with TATA ASS ,as it is region specific ,then Nexon is a good choice too.
If you can stretch your budget ,you may check on Duster (AMT)

Points you need to look on- As its a diesel engine ,with respect to your high running ,please consider the service section (As more on service costs ,means less profit with your ride ).

Consider TATA Tiago for its solid build quality, features, design, peppy diesel engine, mileage, tension free maintenance with AMC etc. But if you like Hyundai then go in for the Grand i10 as it is used by both of the persons in the family a small Hatch would be easy for you.

But still while TD the Tiago please do TD the Nexon as Nexon gives a commanding view of the roads and you can negotiate many pot holes on the road than an normal hatch and you will not feel the necessity to change the headlights.

Top Bottom