Diesel hatchback

Thread Starter #1
Hi to all TAI members. We are looking for a new diesel car that will be driven by my Dad and my brother to college. I lost track of the happenings in the automotive industry for a while, so I've very less knowledge about the current market situation. We need the car as early as possible, so no long waiting. The car would primarily driven in City but will also go on for occassional Highway trips. And our usage will be quite heavy, so the running costs should be kept to minimum.
My dad set his mind on new Skoda Fabia Ambiente, which at the price is not that high. But i'm worried about maintenance and Skoda's recent image and also I feel that 1.2l diesel will be a bit underpowered.
Other option is Ford Figo, but I read that its sales have fallen by a big margin, Is Figo still a sensible buy?
VW polo has been ruled out because they are still riding on the demand boat and the response is not good.
I read about New Swift and saw a few here in UK but even if it is launched in a month or two, it will have long waiting periods.
Is Fabia a good option? or Figo still a sensible buy? Or is there any other car that we should consider?
Kindly help me out. Thanks.

Since you need a quick reply, my suggestion would be to go in for ford Figo. It has great fuel economy

My dad set his mind on new Skoda Fabia Ambiente, which at the price is not that high. But i'm worried about maintenance and Skoda's recent image and also I feel that 1.2l diesel will be a bit underpowered.
Yes, the 1.2L motors suffers from a huge turbo lag and add to that the high maintenance charges.

Other cars which you may consider are Fiat Grande Punto, Nissan Micra Diesel. However even with these in your list, i would still suggest you Ford Figo.

Thread Starter #4
@Akash, my dad like Figo's performance but he noted that with 3 at the rear, the rear end was almost touching the ground. And he is also not that impressed by its looks. And what about its sales? because during its launch, it was doing good and now the sales are in the 1k range, is FIgo losing its ground?
@type-r, i read somewhere that Fiat is selling around 500 Puntos a month, so it has lost its market isn't it? If i have to convince my dad for another car, that should be atleast doing good in the market. Could you please tell me more about Micra? its pros and cons?

@Akash, my dad like Figo's performance but he noted that with 3 at the rear, the rear end was almost touching the ground. And he is also not that impressed by its looks. And what about its sales? because during its launch, it was doing good and now the sales are in the 1k range, is FIgo losing its ground?
Are you sure of those figures?
As for the GC, yes the Ground clearance of Figo is a bit less, but at the same time it is similar to other hatch backs.

@type-r, i read somewhere that Fiat is selling around 500 Puntos a month, so it has lost its market isn't it? If i have to convince my dad for another car, that should be atleast doing good in the market. Could you please tell me more about Micra? its pros and cons?
Yes, Punto isnt doing well, atleast the sales figures say so, but it is a good hatch with lots of space and features inside.
As for Micra diesel please check the Official roadtest: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/test-drive-reviews/2851-nissan-micra-diesel-road-test-review.html

micra has a good engine, looks are subjective though, handles pretty decently.
only con i can think of is very bumpy ride.

Hey Balachandar,

Welcome back to TAI!

And for your queries, I would suggest the following.

Nissan Micra - The best & most reliable, most economical diesel hatch I have ever driven. Check my reviews. ASS is unknown territory!!

Fiat Punto - Nice car with great handling if you are okay with dark & compressed interiors.

Ford Figo - its an bang for Ford 7 worth every penny, but ASS of ford is questionable.

VW Polo - Gem of cars with solid quality. Long waiting period & costly ASS.

Skoda Fabia - Good car, it underpowered. Worth investing, but worse ASS.

Maruti Swift - Still no news of 2011 version. got to wait.

Hyundai i20 D - Nice car, lot of features, immd delivery. But high speed stability issues!!

Overall, if you aren't much worried about ASS, Micra serves you the best way followed by Punto, Fabia & the rest.

micra has a good engine, looks are subjective though, handles pretty decently.
only con i can think of is very bumpy ride.

Really not Archit!

It has got a very mature ride quality which you can find in most of the hatches.

Thread Starter #9
@Akash, I'm not sure about those figures, I read it somewhere.
@Type-R, about Micra, the dealership is not responding properly and has not-so-good reputation when it comes to service.

@Zinam, thanks for the overall info on the cars in the segment. Nissan's service here is quite bad and it is under specced for the price. And Punto, I drove both the engines before coming here, I'm not impressed with the engines' flexibility at all.

Now they've narrowed it to Fabia with Figo as a second option. They booked Fabia a week ago for the ambiente but now they changed it to Elegance. After picturing top of the range Fabia, they feel Figo is not upmarket. So, now it is Fabia only, as Polo and Micra ruled out due to long waiting period and dealer issues. And Fabia's price is going up on 28th of this month, so if it is any other car then that has to be decided before that.

Fabia and Polo have same engine, so cost wise, Fabia make more sense. But overall Polo is slightly better, in my view.

I am surprised to read about your comment about Punto's engine, specially when you liked Fabia/Polo engine.

Thread Starter #11
@RSM, I haven't gone anywhere near Fabia not even the old one, this is what concerns me more. I couldn't think of a better car to convince them, nor I could drive any of those cars now. I was told that Fabia had initial lag but in the highways it was good.
I test drove Punto at two occasions and it was really annoying to wait for the RPM to climb up.
Well for Polo, it takes 6 months for the dealer to deliver the car.

@Zinam, thanks for the overall info on the cars in the segment. Nissan's service here is quite bad and it is under specced for the price. And Punto, I drove both the engines before coming here, I'm not impressed with the engines' flexibility at all.

Now they've narrowed it to Fabia with Figo as a second option. They booked Fabia a week ago for the ambiente but now they changed it to Elegance. After picturing top of the range Fabia, they feel Figo is not upmarket. So, now it is Fabia only, as Polo and Micra ruled out due to long waiting period and dealer issues. And Fabia's price is going up on 28th of this month, so if it is any other car then that has to be decided before that.

Okay! Frankly speaking, If you are convinced with Fabia then no other car can change your mind now!

Fabia is just obsessed with quality to the max! GO ahead & grab it.

All the best for your drive.

Welcome back man ,I think we discussed about this sometime back in FB chat!

If your dad has personally checked out the Fabia then no other car can convince him! The interiors feel so rich and the build quality is fantastic! I love the Fabia , even though its a 3 pot it has good refinement , good handling , good stability but A.S.S is a big concern even in Chennai! Will that not be a problem in your place further?

Other worth considering options are Punto and i20 CRDI. Punto even i share your same views but it looks like the engine will open up more after the running-in period gets over , that's what Punto owners here feel. Though Fiat is tied up with TATA , i see Fiat SA'S far more better compared to TATA SA'S. Why have you not even considered i20?

Figo diesel is best VFM car! GC is a bit of an issue but i think its better than Fabia. And sales figure i think the figure you saw must be wrong , because i still see lots of new Figo's around.

If you cant wait for long i think only Figo and Punto can be got sooner. Don know about i20 and Fabia in your place , if dealer has ready stock you might lucky!

Top Bottom