Maruti Celerio AMT Vs Tata Tiago AMT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and planning to buy my first car. My preference is AMT/AT and budget is up to 7 (maximum). I have shortlisted Celerio X AMT and Tiago AMT (higest variant of both). Please suggest me the pros and cons and help me to finalize the one.

Regards

PS: I am taking driving classes and have done test ride in both (:P). any could not find much of a difference, being a novice.

Pros of celerio over tiago - its a Maruti, that's it. For everything else Tiago it is. Being maruti -excellent ASS, resale, fuel efficiency. Tiago as a product is far better. Hot selling too.

I'd suggest to pick a MT one.
My view is that if you got habituated of an AT right from very first car, you won't be able to derive the fun of driving a Manual transmission car.
I agree AT/AMT, etc. are easy to drive. But once you tasted the blood of MTs, you'll not look back towards AT/AMTs.

If you still want to go for an autoamtic/automated, try picking a complete car with 4-cylinder engine.
Tiago and Celerio both has 3-cylinder setup, and are pretty noisy to drive.

P.S.:
I own a Tata Tiago XZA i.e., AMT variant. [:D]

Edit:
Maruti Baleno Delta 1.2 P is a car I'd pick, if in your shoes.

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended
Yeah Id say Baleno 1.2 Delta too
Itll be a much superior car than the other 2

K12 engine in Baleno has very smoothing clutch and gearing and is much superior than the Celerio and Tiago engines
As a 1st car, go for something tried, tested, good resale and after sales

AMT is really just an excuse for AT, its jerky, some users are facing trouble
A good manual is any day better than AMT unless someone wants it as a 2nd car for city use wherein AMT makes sense

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Of the two, my pick would be Tiago AMT and the biggest con of Celerio being that it has scored a Zero in the crash tests conducted. As far as the servicing experience is concerned, TML is picking up at a reasonable pace.

Regards

Akash

kkn13

Suspended
Theres no proof Tiago is safer either
When the kwid launched, everyone assumed Kwid was safe because of sheet metal and what not

Between the two,my pick would be Tiago too but Baleno makes a much better buy for the same budget

Servicing experience of TML is probably 6-7th in India after brands like Toyota, Maruti,Honda, Hyundai, Ford and Mahindra
Too many hit or miss reports
Fit and finish of TML is also inconsistent, not that Celerio makes a great case of itself but its good to know what is what

Last edited:
Before you even contemplate Celerio AMT, have a look at Maruti AMT issues, posted by owners on TBhp, you will get the picture, and then take a call.

My choice is tiago AMT, I'm using Nano XTA since 15 months and 12.5k on odo, and loving it, with blessed left leg and arm.

kkn13

Suspended
Before you even contemplate Celerio AMT, have a look at Maruti AMT issues, posted by owners on TBhp, you will get the picture, and then take a call.

My choice is tiago AMT, I'm using Nano XTA since 15 months and 12.5k on odo, and loving it, with blessed left leg and arm.
Agreed however AMT units in Maruti and Tata are the exact same from Magneti Marelli
So Id personally opt out of AMT cars altogether and go for a good manual instead

AMT issues are hit or miss and seems you are luckily in the latter

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
For the benefit of the buyers & seekers of info regarding the Tiago's strength & built quality, they may read 1st hand accounts of owners in this Link. I guess, TML is the only brand whose car's crash worthiness is questioned inspite of performing much better than those cars which have proven 3rd class built quality in the real world circumstances. Secondly, an example of battle tank like built quality is is here. The reason of posting these links is because the OP has to decide between Celerio & a Tiago.

Regards

Akash

kkn13

Suspended
Wow pictures of accidents with no context, proof, scientific explanation or any kind of real logic

Ill hit my car with a hammer, claim it hit an asteroid and survived and call it safer than Volvo

Show conclusive proof of NCAP of Tiago then make claims
Dont show Celerio zero stars only if you are linking that, show zest zero stars too since Tiago hasnt been tested

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Wow pictures of accidents with no context, proof, scientific explanation or any kind of real logic

Ill hit my car with a hammer, claim it hit an asteroid and survived and call it safer than Volvo
So according to you the 1st hand accounts shared by owners are all false. What proof would one need when a survivor shares his/her own actual experience of real world crash?

Show conclusive proof of NCAP of Tiago then make claims
Dont show Celerio zero stars only if you are linking that, show zest zero stars too since Tiago hasnt been tested
Agree Zest got Zero but it also got a 4 star for safety equipped variant but if we compare Zest Vs Dzire, then has Maruti Suzuki ever tested a Dzire (Indian Spec) [Basic Model or Top Model] through out it's generation and till date are there crash test reports of it? As far as Tiago's agency crash test go, as an when it is required the same shall be done. Also, once TML decides to export their new generation cars to international markets then definitely they'll make an attempt to meet the safety norms of the said market. Until then, lets atleast not doubt the experiences of those who have dealt with crashes in Tiago in real world.

--Akash

kkn13

Suspended
Except heartect platform and others have counterparts tested in NCAP even if they are milded down for India, I dont think soo much of a difference will come
At least there is some benchmark unlike your beloved Tata

Oh and Zest got a reinforced chassis + airbags for the 4 star EXCEPT what about the owners of the old ZERO star chassis car?

As for-
"Also, once TML decides to export their new generation cars to international markets then definitely they'll make an attempt to meet the safety norms of the said market. Until then, lets atleast not doubt the experiences of those who have dealt with crashes in Tiago in real world."

I can only laugh at that statement for the following reasons-
You implied Tata makes compromised cars for India and will make foreign spec ones for export, isnt that countering your arguement
As for "experiences" , why dont you start your own NCAP like agency, save everyone a couple of bucks with your opinions as professional judgement with no base/logic
Without analysis, basis,logic, proof,know-how of the scenario how exactly do you think "experiences" >>>> NCAP ??

See Im not saying Celerio is a better car than Tiago but dont glorify it for something its not, be realistic

Akash1886

Honoured Member
At least there is some benchmark unlike your beloved Tata
So this means that perhaps TML isn't really concerned as far as the safety parameters of their cars are concerned. Well, let us not get into what their standards are and assume anything for TML.

As for-
"Also, once TML decides to export their new generation cars to international markets then definitely they'll make an attempt to meet the safety norms of the said market. Until then, lets atleast not doubt the experiences of those who have dealt with crashes in Tiago in real world."

I can only laugh at that statement for the following reasons-
You implied Tata makes compromised cars for India and will make foreign spec ones for export, isnt that countering your arguement
As expected. Perhaps, you did not catch the meaning of what I meant. My point is Tiago's & other new TML cars crash test from likes of Latin NCAP & Euro NCAP etc can be carried out once the brand decides to sell it in the market where these crash test hold relevance. Once we have our India specific crash norms, I am sure TML would ensure their products meet the stated requirements here as well.

Without analysis, basis,logic, proof,know-how of the scenario how exactly do you think "experiences" >>>> NCAP ??
Well, there has to be a some reference point if at present official crash reports aren't there. So what I actually mean here is until the time we have professional crash test report w.r.t Tiago, till then, we can respect the opinions shared by owners. Also if NCAP crash tests were so very important, then, have people stopped buying the cars in India from the brand which has n number of failures in crash tests? As to help the OP to select a better car between the two, there has to be some reference for him to make a decision.

See Im not saying Celerio is a better car than Tiago but dont glorify it for something its not, be realistic
Ok, tell me, except for the famed ASC, in which other aspect you see Tiago as inferior to anyone else in the segment?

--Akash

kkn13

Suspended
Im not saying Tiago is inferior to Celerio, dont make Tiago something its not by not listing clear pros and cons , for a 1st time car buyer, there are other criteria such as after sales, reliability,resale etc
Any other enthusiast who isnt a 1st timer, Tiago is a go ahead since he knows what to expect
Anyways Baleno makes a much better buy for a bit more

Also your previous statement means double standards if they make cars different for India and abroad

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Im not saying Tiago is inferior to Celerio, dont make Tiago something its not by not listing clear pros and cons , for a 1st time car buyer, there are other criteria such as after sales, reliability,resale etc
Any other enthusiast who isnt a 1st timer, Tiago is a go ahead since he knows what to expect
Anyways Baleno makes a much better buy for a bit more
I am sure the OP must be aware about how has TML changed in recent years w.r.t their products & services. In the after sales front TML is definitely on the way up and as far as the reliability goes, Tiago, Tigor (MT & AMT) haven't reported any major technical/mechanical failure. Tiago is a 1.5 year+ product and Tigor is nearing 1 year in our market so the owners are the best people here to help the OP in deciding the better option between the 2 by sharing their experiences and pros & cons.

Also your previous statement means double standards if they make cars different for India and abroad
Might be you did not get what I meant. My point is & was, when India gets the Official Safety norms then based on that TML would definitely ensure that their cars shall meet the norms. Also, the safety requirements for the export market would be dealt with by TML when they plan to export their cars. Honestly, TML, as far as I know, will never side line or ignore India for any purpose.

--Akash

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom