Alternative To Skoda Superb

Thread Starter #1
Hello, we have a 2 year old rapid and a year old superb tsi. sold the rapid as the after sales service is horrible here in punjab. have contacted dealers to get the superb sold as well. my question is, is there any alternative to superb tsi that is the petrol variant having all or majority of the features? we have checked passat but the cons are that it comes in only diesel, about 5 lakhs expensive than superb, less features and looks ordinary. the budget is 30 but can be increased to 34-35 if the after sales service is good. choice of brand is not an issue but features should be there and it should be sedan only.
regards,
n.arora

Akash1886

Honoured Member
If only in Petrol you want a car then, in sedans, Elantra SX(o) can be considered. In SUV, Fortuner AT Petrol is there and you can also consider Tucson Petrol.

Regards

Akash

kkn13

Suspended
Check out Tucson diesel or petrol, CRV (New one will come in a few months)
Diesel is very refined and extremely well powered, Petrol is a bit bland
I own Tucson diesel and owned Superb TSI and CRV 2.4 prior to Tucson
I also sold Superb within 5 years because of maintenance, poor reliability etc
Tucson has car like handling and is pretty decent on cabin room too

Elantra isnt a bad car but compared to Superb , it wont be fair to compare the two

Used 5 series is a fantastic option especially if you get one with BSI
Prices are around 20 range for 2013 onwards models
These German barges depreciate really quick and cost a lot to maintain but BMW is fairly reliable and BSI is hassle free

You might also score a used X3, also handles like a car than SUV

Personally go for Tucson, used 5 series or used X3
On the whole, I didnt feel any car came close in terms of VFM , refinement,peace of mind as Tucson
I test drove cars all the way till X3, GLC, Q5
Tried a few used options but in the end , value proposition, comfort etc prevailed and I bought Tucson

Tucson also comes with 3 years warranty, free services and the diesel engine has highest output compared to the Germans (evened out due to ZF8,AISIN and DSG though) but far more reliable

Any reason why you dont want diesel?

PS- Passat doesnt hold a candle to the Superb imho and is outdated
Same goes for Tiguan

If you are not leaned toward a particular body type then, IMO Ford Endeavour 3.2AT is the best option to for. It gets all the bells and whistle you would have thought of plus super refined 3.2L motor that takes anything you put in its way.

But if you find little skeptical about SUV's then TD Volvo V40 or V40CC and you will love the way drives in CITY and HIGHWAY. The road presence for this car is also nice at that price tag.

Buying a used BMW 3 or 5 series is also another great option, but checkout the car very thoroughly, coz a miss can hit your pocket very hard. An expert review, may be BMW car mechanic can only be the best person to judge the fair/good condition of that car.

Tuscon is a good car but the road presence is another factor when you pay this much amount, so IMO choose wisely.

Hi Nanu.Arora,
your requirements actually made me think a lot about the alternatives, but to be honest, there are no car matching the BEAUTY and POWER of Superb TSI.
why not check the Camry and bargain hard to fit into your Max budget. GO GREEN

kkn13

Suspended
If you are not leaned toward a particular body type then, IMO Ford Endeavour 3.2AT is the best option to for. It gets all the bells and whistle you would have thought of plus super refined 3.2L motor that takes anything you put in its way.

But if you find little skeptical about SUV's then TD Volvo V40 or V40CC and you will love the way drives in CITY and HIGHWAY. The road presence for this car is also nice at that price tag.

Buying a used BMW 3 or 5 series is also another great option, but checkout the car very thoroughly, coz a miss can hit your pocket very hard. An expert review, may be BMW car mechanic can only be the best person to judge the fair/good condition of that car.

Tuscon is a good car but the road presence is another factor when you pay this much amount, so IMO choose wisely.
Agreed but Tucson does get quite a few looks even in Mumbai so road presence is fantastic for a monocoque premium 5 seater
Audi, BMW, Mercedes are too common here and cars like Tucson,Santa Fe,F-Pace are rather rare
My friend owns a very abused X3 and he finds the Tucson a great car for the price in terms of looks etc

Sheer road presence of Endeavour is unmatched as is the value for money etc but its a big hulking SUV and not practical for city use especially in Mumbai though when time comes to replacing my Innova, Endeavour or Fortuner is definitely my choice but for city use, Tucson leads the way

Also Peter Schreyer designed the Tucson, known for designing various Audis such as the TT, Q5 etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Tucson#Third_generation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Schreyer

Tucson looks much better in person and especially in white or black colour
Night time is best for its looks thanks to all LED lights-front and back (except fogs and high beam because of safety during fogs/rains wherein halogens are better visibility)

Volvo is of course a great option but V40,GLA,Q3,X1 are nowhere compared to Superb in terms of comfort etc
A used XC60 or S60 is a great option but after sales network isnt very good, parts are all imported but ASC is apparently very helpful
In terms of seating, Volvo is the best especially front seats . I dont think any other car marker comes close in the price range for seat comfort

Hi Nanu.Arora,
your requirements actually made me think a lot about the alternatives, but to be honest, there are no car matching the BEAUTY and POWER of Superb TSI.
why not check the Camry and bargain hard to fit into your Max budget. GO GREEN
Camry is an unmatched luxury barge but only for comfort
For driving, its not very engaging
Also Hybrid version is out of production now
http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/gst-effect-toyota-camry-hybrid-production-halted-in-india/

Though Toyotas are the most hassle free ownership experiences one can get and good resale etc down the line too, Id say #1

Last edited:
Going strictly by your choice of it being a sedan and an upgrade from superb (which dimensionally becomes very difficult for the price ).

I would suggest size wise the Camry and the Jaguar XE Pure(ex showroom around 35)

Also if you are open for slightly smaller sizes - then the Merc CLA(200 petrol) or Bmw 3 series or Audi A3 is also worth a look.

Thread Starter #8
@Akash1886 Very good looking car. Let me check it in details. Any cons of this car? How is the AT?

@kkn13 strictly no suv's. how much per year did you spend on superb's maintenance and reliability as in which situation?the service centre,dealerships are very bad here.the rapid and superb didn't even come with one free service at all.was that the case with yours too? let me check that 5 series and glc. ours is a joint family and we have this thing in our mind that petrol one's are better, nowadays they are at par i think, moreover the usage of every car is like 1000 kilometers per month so petrol is what we want. @amitpshelke no suv's bro. volvo is way more than the budget. let me check used bmw's.tuscon road presence, what does it mean? @SilverEyez because camry's production has been stopped and the older units available with dealerships have increased prices like 8-10lakhs due to gst and cess. @kkn13 tucson looks cool.if we decide to shift to suv it will be for tucson and not endeavour. @Iron Rock Camry-out of production and older models pricetag has increased by 8-10lacs. Jag's pure is missing many features and the legspace is very less. moreover it costs around 38 on road price. the rest of the cars are out of budget,if we talk about the on road price of the top variant.

Mods why is tagging not working in the replies?

kkn13

Suspended
Going strictly by your choice of it being a sedan and an upgrade from superb (which dimensionally becomes very difficult for the price ).

I would suggest size wise the Camry and the Jaguar XE Pure(ex showroom around 35)

Also if you are open for slightly smaller sizes - then the Merc CLA(200 petrol) or Bmw 3 series or Audi A3 is also worth a look.
I doubt CLA, A3 would cut it especially when Audi belongs to VAG itself so maintenance etc will be even more
cabin room is also poor in both cars
A3 is actually a Vento if you put them side by side, you can see the uncanny resemblence

XE isnt better either, after sales of JLR is as bad as Skoda

I do agree about 3 series but it lacks features and you can easily score a 5 series on discount for a few lakhs more (at least that was the case 3 months ago, dunno about current G30)
I think a used 5 series makes more sense given depreciation etc

Though word of caution - BMW and Mercedes DONT have spare tyres nor the wheel well to store one

So ideally used 5 Series + a good city car preferably a Honda or Hyundai is a good choice

@Akash1886 Very good looking car. Let me check it in details. Any cons of this car? How is the AT? @kkn13 strictly no suv's. how much per year did you spend on superb's maintenance and reliability as in which situation?the service centre,dealerships are very bad here.the rapid and superb didn't even come with one free service at all.was that the case with yours too? let me check that 5 series and glc. ours is a joint family and we have this thing in our mind that petrol one's are better, nowadays they are at par i think, moreover the usage of every car is like 1000 kilometers per month so petrol is what we want. @amitpshelke no suv's bro. volvo is way more than the budget. let me check used bmw's.tuscon road presence, what does it mean? @SilverEyez because camry's production has been stopped and the older units available with dealerships have increased prices like 8-10lakhs due to gst and cess. @kkn13 tucson looks cool.if we decide to shift to suv it will be for tucson and not endeavour. @Iron Rock Camry-out of production and older models pricetag has increased by 8-10lacs. Jag's pure is missing many features and the legspace is very less. moreover it costs around 38 on road price. the rest of the cars are out of budget,if we talk about the on road price of the top variant.
We ve had similar instances with our Superb
I dont remember exact amounts because last few services were major part changes such as suspension (my brother put it in a large pothole) , Alloy
Regular service was also very pricey though

Tucson is an excellent buy if you decide SUV, Im thrilled with mine so far
Its not perfect but its close enough

Else a used 5 series is a steal but beware lack of spare tyre, wheel well and low GC
And preferably go for one with BSI
Get the car checked out at BMW ASC, they will tell vehicle history, condition etc for a small fee

If going in for luxury imho, go for a 2-3 year old used one , that way you dont get the 1st 3 year major depreciation hit and if you are unhappy, you can sell it off for a small loss in comparison
^^Only if there are no major issues with the car

Having owned 2nd gen CRV , Id say wait for the 4th gen to come to India if possible, its supposedly improved in every way
I owned mine for 10 years and if not for my usage demanding a diesel, Id have probably gone in for CRV
The 2.4 petrol is an absolute cracker of an engine
The 1.5 Turbo should be good too, I have the same non-turbo 1.5 IVTEC in my City and its served me well

You can also opt for used CRVs, they go for around 14-18L for 2014 models with low running (thanks to petrol heart)

Im also considering another CRV(used) for city use for my father

Thread Starter #10
@kkn13 thanks. the dealer of second hand showroom is suggesting us not to sell superb as of now, as you mentioned depreciation and other things.we have not bought the 4 year,4 services pack for 50000inr, which is 60000 kilometers or 4 years whichever is earlier.the first paid service was for about 24000inr.if we go for services from not an authorized dealer then the four year warranty will be void.is it advisable to buy that warranty pack,if we decide to keep it for another few years?suspension,alloy etc. are those all covered in servicing packages?why didn't you claim insurance for those parts?
our time to renew the insurance for the same is next week.we planned to sell it before the due date, that will not be the case now.so, should we renew it with national insurance company or some other private insurance company.which is better and why?
yes tuscon is on my list.waiting for more options.

One more thing how to decode vin and other details using chassis number https://vindecoder.eu/
I am entering the chasis number here of superb
Vehice History and Vin /Chasis Number check My Vehicle Details
and it is saying that the manufacturing month is july, 1987

Last edited by a moderator:

kkn13

Suspended
@kkn13 thanks. the dealer of second hand showroom is suggesting us not to sell superb as of now, as you mentioned depreciation and other things.we have not bought the 4 year,4 services pack for 50000inr, which is 60000 kilometers or 4 years whichever is earlier.the first paid service was for about 24000inr.if we go for services from not an authorized dealer then the four year warranty will be void.is it advisable to buy that warranty pack,if we decide to keep it for another few years?suspension,alloy etc. are those all covered in servicing packages?why didn't you claim insurance for those parts?
our time to renew the insurance for the same is next week.we planned to sell it before the due date, that will not be the case now.so, should we renew it with national insurance company or some other private insurance company.which is better and why?
yes tuscon is on my list.waiting for more options.
Didnt want to lose NCB at the time
Service packages didnt exist at the time

Go for insurance + warranty if you plan on keeping the car for long
Else opt for 3rd party insurance or bargain with dealer if you want to sell the car soon

Depreciation hit is major issue with German cars especially 1st 3 years

I opted for HDFC ergo for my Tucson and have ICICI on my other cars, all from respective dealers . I paid a bit extra for them but cashless facility was a plus and I didnt pay a very big premium only a bit more
Plus Tucson came with 4 years warranty free (3 years standard + 1 year loyalty bonus) and services free for 3 years
So I didnt want to take from 3rd party for Tucson , difference was around 10k

Also take zero dep + engine cover if you plan on keeping the car or opt for the same for your next car

One more thing how to decode vin and other details using chassis number https://vindecoder.eu/
I am entering the chasis number here of superb
Vehice History and Vin /Chasis Number check My Vehicle Details
and it is saying that the manufacturing month is july, 1987
Some sites dont decipher properly for Indian cars
Even for my City, I had similar issue when deciphering

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
@kkn13

Didnt want to lose NCB at the time
Service packages didnt exist at the time

what is ncb?

Go for insurance + warranty if you plan on keeping the car for long
Else opt for 3rd party insurance or bargain with dealer if you want to sell the car soon

yes.should we skip the service package then?selling the same is very easy for skoda people.what they do is force you to buy one, when you say no then the bill of the first service will be so high that you will be forced to buy one.even if you don't then they will mention on the service booklet after the first service that abcd component needs to be changed which will cost like 40000inr.so the customer will have few choices, spend 40000inr or get the service package or ignore both and get the warranty void before 4 years.

Depreciation hit is major issue with German cars especially 1st 3 years

yes that is what the dealer said. he said that the buyer will be at profit if we sell it right now.

Also take zero dep + engine cover if you plan on keeping the car or opt for the same for your next car
our insurance of superb also covers hydrostatic part, though i think there was no need for the same. ofcourse we were charged more for it.

Some sites dont decipher properly for Indian cars
Even for my City, I had similar issue when deciphering
is there any way/method/trick/website to know about the same for skoda cars?

kkn13

Suspended
NCB- No Claim Bonus

Opt for service package imho

Whats the current value of your car if you sell and how much did you buy for if I may ask?

If your insurance covers hydrostatic, theres a high chance you already had engine cover and zero dep

Im not sure about VIN sites, I just play with trial and error

Thread Starter #14
@kkn13

don't want to, not value for money [roll]

Whats the current value of your car if you sell and how much did you buy for if I may ask?
current value- 15, got it for 32

If your insurance covers hydrostatic, theres a high chance you already had engine cover and zero dep
ah ok.

i asked for the quotation for elantra and tuscon, they are giving a flat discount of 100000inr on the ex-showroom price.but the downfall is that both are june or july 2017 make cars.the prices have increased, but to clear the stock they are giving a cash discount.is 6-7 month old car okay to buy? are the companies including any new feature mid year in the cars? how much of an impact will 6-7 month old car make as compared to the invoice while reselling?

kkn13

Suspended
@kkn13

don't want to, not value for money [roll]

current value- 15, got it for 32

ah ok.

i asked for the quotation for elantra and tuscon, they are giving a flat discount of 100000inr on the ex-showroom price.but the downfall is that both are june or july 2017 make cars.the prices have increased, but to clear the stock they are giving a cash discount.is 6-7 month old car okay to buy? are the companies including any new feature mid year in the cars? how much of an impact will 6-7 month old car make as compared to the invoice while reselling?
Avoid such vehicles
They sit idle in stock yard and are either used as demo vehicles or lie unused and alot of parts etc could prove to cause issues
Very risky and not worth it

There is a 70,000 flat discount on the Tucson and Elantra in Mumbai
Im guessing late 2017 cars or 2018 cars itself
You can easily bargain

As for your Superb, you have hit approx 50% depreciation
I guess its not worth getting rid of it for a year old car

If you have to lose out on 17L on depreciation + add on costs of a luxury sedan/SUV , rather keep the Superb and spend 17L on another vehicle for daily use

In fact, you can get a Jeep Compass 1.4 Multi Air for 22L with DCT automatic or Tucson petrol MT for 21L , AT for 24L on road (discounts not included) or used 2012 X1 for 9L for "driving pleasure"

Use the Superb for occasional highway runs,leisure drives etc and save on additional maintenance costs since use wont be as frequent

Top Bottom