Confused Between Ford Aspire / Maruti Dzire / Honda Jazz

Thread Starter #1
Respected PetrolHeads ,

Firstly , i apologize to all of you , for i have always asked for help from TAI but never returned the Favour.
I do intend to and will make up for it soon [:D]

Furthermore a Brief Description on my previous set of wheels and the problems i faced in the past 5 years .

In march 2012 , i purchased Swift VDI ( New Model ) , initially i was very happy with the peppy engine , the pickup, but later the car started showing signs of aging and being a Maruti in itself.

Year One - Went by very well but at the end i realized the engine noise was a bit harsh. but at the end i used to drive a bit harsh too ( young blood [;)])

Year Two - Engine Vibrations too became very much noticeable and later i met an accident where the car was rear ended and hence the boot floor was damaged , fortunately no damage to chasis and the roof . and at the end averted a huge accident and learned the brakes are pathetic ...
Later in year 2 the car started making lots and lots of noises from doors , boot , bumpers and what not.finally at the end i also learned no matter how much you care maruti car Rattles . the rattles just don't go away .

Year Three - Many noises were catered but the Breakes , Suspension and some steering rod , some mounts were deteriorated hence had to be replaced .

Year Four - Tyres , Rear Suspension , and mostly Cabin noise issues like doors and boot door plastic noise were catered.
( Boot , Door and other plastics were checked for noise every 3-4 months )

Year Five - same noise , broken pipe , horn and mony more parts started wearing off due to use . however by this time i started caring less for the vehicle coz it was not fun , peppy but rather felt unsafe and like maintaning a white elephant .

All said and done , i am now selling it off and only thing i am happy about is that i am getting good Resale Value . but the car hogged around 15k every year for maintainence .. and trust me Swift is not easy on the pocket.

Dear Maruti Suzuki if you are listening Please! Please! PLease! Improve the plastic quality and their way of Fitting ... coz the major rattling is due to the parts dont fit properly the plastic switched just come our easily and start to rattle.

Finally Off to a Fresh Start , and Confused at the beginning .

The Story Continues ...

I started looking for a new car once my last Emi for Swift was banked . But did not go find anything suitable so i waited . and finally i got an upfront offer and i took it . So the Swift is sold and i am to buy a new Companion for my Daily Commute.

My Requirement Is Simple but too much to ask for .

1. Good Build Quality for Rattle Free Ride ( silence is what i like )
2. Less Vibrations
3. ABS & EBD For safety while panic breaking
4. Good FE figures Coz my Daily usage is fairly high mostly because the car is stationed with the Air-Con on . for an Hr Every day . ( I like to be in a closed environment while working it relaxes me and lets me concentrate on work )
5. Should be Below 7.5 Lakhs ( 7.5 is my upper limit )

My usage is about 40-45 KM of running Daily with minimal Air-Con and about 1/2 hour to 1Hr the car is Idle with Air-Con.

So i went on to explore the options i Have

1. Ford Aspire - Loved it but the petrol Engine is Sluggish and FE is Weakest and finally their Resale Value is super low . but due to their huge Discounts and it checks out for most of my requirement i have shortlisted it.

2. Baleno - My Last resort. have tested it , its the same as swift but spacious and with better features hence is my last resort , so kept aside for now.

3. Dzire - Had a Test Drive yesterday , The Build Quality is Cheaper than my Swift also the outside noise is not cancelled at all
but however i have shortlisted it for if i am left with no other option .

4. Amaze - Loved it but Lacks a lot of features and is Very Expensive .
5. Jazz - Loved it V Model is very expensive but Honda is offering discounts and have shortlisted it .
6. Xcent - Out from day 1 , not even considered to buy as every Ola and Uber is a Xcent hence staying away from it . either ways i dont like hyundai at all. their quality is a bit better than maruti but aspire i find to be better option.
7. Ameo - 3Ltr Petrol Engine is very noisy , albeit very punchy but noisy .

Tata , Hyundai , Nissan , Renault are the brands i dont trust and hence i am not looking for the options. Albeit Tata is improving but it still is not an option coz i dont Trust their Engines and Overall Quality .

Finally I am stuck between Drire , Aspire & Jazz .. below are the points where i am unable to decide .

1. Aspire ( Titanium or Titanium sports ) - super good car but engine is sluggish needs Gear Shift every time i brake or wish to push a little . but then is the cheapest option at around 7.0 lk Titanium

2. Dzire - Engine is good , Features are good but the car Rattles ( even the TD Vehicle was rattling ) and Swift's Suspension becomes very stiff in a year hence the ride quality is also very bumpy after a year. and the zxi model is costing 8.0 lk and the vxi model lacks a lot of good features which i wish to have and the difference is of 75k between vxi and zxi .

3.Amaze - I like the car but only the SX model which is costing around 8.2 lk and has no discounts in the given Variant.
4.Jazz - V model is superb . i like the car feels a bit like i am sitting in an suv ( i prefer a sedan over suv ) but i can manage . took a TD Today loved everything about it. Feels good too . waiting for final pricing from the dealer .

So now i am confused for if i must chooze Dzire or Aspire or Jazz.

Kindly share your inputs which will help me choose the appropriate car.

To those who are Suzuki fans , i dont mean no offense , i just shared what i Experienced , maybe i am alone to have faced such issues but in the end i did and i felt like sharing.

Please do share your inputs

Thanks
Jatin

Re: Confused between Petrol Aspire/Dzire/Jazz

You are spot on with your observations. Forget the swift even my million rupees Ciaz started rattling from day 4 in September which was fixed in first service. But for you, in these options I think Dzire is best bet. Aspire is outdated and sales dud. Amaze - ditto. You can test drive Tigor, Nexon too.

If I were you than I will blindly go with Hyundai i20 sportz vtvt.

Don't know why you are against Hyundai. Any sore experience? If yes than please share it so it will help others also.

Keep aside,

From these three options Desire is the best. K12 is gem petrol engine and you will enjoy ride with respect to other two.

Jazz is overpriced and Aspire missing FORD DNA in build quality and driving dynamics.

Man, i second you. My Celerio is not even a year old but the rattles have started creeping after 4 months and is right now same. Thanks to poor plastic quality and our Mars surface like Roads.

In a few years time, i shall too have to upgrade to a new car.

Btw you have described it pretty well but in thus country, we have compromise a lot when buying a car. Either have fuel efficiency or fit and finish or Sturdy built or value for money pricing. Its totally disappointing.

Hyundai do offer pretty good fit and finish, but thats it, i found the petrol engine boring, steering feedback is artificial. And the less said about there features distribution variant to variant the better.
Ford Aspire is a good choice but the petrol engine is uninspiring, the Diesel engine though is a completely different beast.

Tata is surely improving i feel.
Honda Jazz for me is very overpriced.
Maruti Suzuki with its Dzire or Baleno has yet to improve on its plastics and fit and finish but out of the two, Baleno gets my nodd. The black interiors are much better than the beige overdose of the Dzire.Period

If Honda comes up with a Amaze facelift, it would have sealed the deal for you.

Your response now

Last edited:
Re: Confused Between Ford Aspire/ Maruti Dzire / Honda Jazz

Go for honda Jazz you will not repent. Aspire is not at all good. Ford service is not good either. Go for hyundai i20 only if u want diesel if it is petrol then forget about it. Jazz is a superior except for a initial low end lag in petrol. it excelled well in ncap crash tests. Jazz has super space every where. Now you will get upto 70k discounts if you buy jazz in dec. Yes it is overpriced for the brand value. But the other options are not better either. With swift itself you had all the issues. Baleno already have suspension issues.If you are ok with waiting periods try vitara brezza. go for polo only if you are bachelor and newly married. jazz will tick all ur boxes

My Ritz too rattles. Its barely 2 years old.
No rattles in my almost 2 year Rapid.

If it were me.
- I would not buy Aspire. As my last car was Ford and it showed serious reliability issue esp. after 6 years
- I will not buy Dzire because every other cab on the road is a Dzire. I don't want my family reminding me that every day
- Never really liked Amaze from the inside or outside. My colleague sold it immediately after the loan closure to buy City
- My female colleague only has good words about Jazz. Mind you, she is not a car person.

If I had to pick one amongst the four, I would go for Jazz

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Respected PetrolHeads ,

5. Should be Below 7.5 Lakhs ( 7.5 is my upper limit )

My usage is about 40-45 KM of running Daily with minimal Air-Con and about 1/2 hour to 1Hr the car is Idle with Air-Con.

7. Ameo - 3Ltr Petrol Engine is very noisy , albeit very punchy but noisy .

Tata , Hyundai , Nissan , Renault are the brands i dont trust and hence i am not looking for the options. Albeit Tata is improving but it still is not an option coz i dont Trust their Engines and Overall Quality .
Hello Jatin, My pick would be either a Aspire or Tigor. Present Jazz is now 3+ year old and might get a facelift by next year or so. i have graduated from Maruti to TATA this year with Tigor 1.2 XZO and absolutely a VFM buy for me. The F.E and overall performance has been very good for me. For me, Dzire looks overpriced and over hyped as a product. BTW, Ameo gets a 1.2 L Petrol with 3 Cyl and yes that's a noisy engine.

Regards

Akash

We can compare tata tigor with maruti dezire . Jazz is premium product. Moreover tigor is 3 cyinder one. NVH will be there. The facelift will have cosmetic changes only nothing spl. If it is petrol hatch , and looking for good premium one with safety and reliablilty jazz is the ans. if some one looking tigor better to try Nexon that looks great .

kkn13

Suspended
Tigor has very poor engine options, hit or miss after sales etc, imho 1st thing in a car should be engine + transmission

Dzire is so-so, good resale, after sales etc with the obvious cons you listed

Amaze is getting a facelift soon, wait for that

i20 is also getting a facelift soon, worth waiting imho

Aspire is dated but good product but Ford after sales is hit or miss . Diesel is having your cake and eating it too

Jazz petrol is only good with CVT as it masks low end torque response very well, rubber band effect isnt so bad once you get used to it. Honda quality, after sales etc is unmatched after owning numerous cars from various brands

Tough call imho

If you can wait, Jeep plans to launch a sub 4m CSUV soon

PS- I owned Ritz VDI 2011 and other than the boot latch noise (fixed with oil) , suspension (My father roughed it up) and leak from weather seal , I didnt face any problem with my car
Sold last year because I started alot of highway driving and my Ritz lacked ABS

Go for Honda/Hyundai imho after facelifts, very safe buys

Akash1886

Honoured Member

We can compare tata tigor with maruti dezire . Moreover tigor is 3 cyinder one. NVH will be there.
Compared to Ameo 1.2L 3 Cylinder engine, the Tigor is by miles better than that as far as NVH is concerned, I have driven the petrol Ameo and I own a Tigor.

Jazz is premium product. The facelift will have cosmetic changes only nothing spl. If it is petrol hatch , and looking for good premium one with safety and reliablilty jazz is the ans.
No doubts Jazz is spacious and premium too. Point is its now old and as per Honda's thoughts, with respect to Honda CITY, the facelift would be in pipeline for it just like in every 2-2.5 years the CITY got the facelifts. And if one is getting a Compact Sedan for the price of a premium hatchback why not buy that?

Today evening, my computer guy came home to replace the keyboard of my laptop, he told that he bought a Baleno about 1.5 month back and a Delta model in Petrol. That costed him close to 7 Lacs on road with all the bling. I showed him my Tigor top spec petrol and told him about the features and price, his reaction was pretty obvious and while leaving he agreed that he made a hurried decision to buy Baleno.

if some one looking tigor better to try Nexon that looks great .
Petrol Nexon to me personally felt lazy compared to Diesel and in this price of 7.5 L, I am not sure if any Diesel variant can fit in and OP's running/usage is also limited.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
If you are considering petrol only , then Jazz is a good choice. It seems jazz is expensive , but with discounts Jazz is cheaper than the Baleno. I am in the process of buying a new car (I have booked a Aspire diesel), but if I had to go for petrol , I would have bought the Jazz over Baleno anyday. Supersmooth , rattle free , only the engine has slightly less torque at low rpms , but that is easily overcome by adjusting driving technique and habit. Where i Live (in Raipur) Jazz petrol Vx is 8.4L on road where as Baleno Alpha Petrol is 8.69L. i too find Hyundai petrols uninspiring.

My Celerio also had rattles from the first month (dashboard area) which was never fixed. Seems like a manufacturing defect , the dashboard plastic not properly fitting in the chassis. Also doors started to rattle from the first year itself. The spoiler came loose , and is now fixed with adhesive tape.Although it still is quieter than the 4 yr old Alto-800 my relative drives. That rattles like a old state transport bus [lol]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
You are spot on with your observations. Forget the swift even my million rupees Ciaz started rattling from day 4 in September which was fixed in first service. But for you, in these options I think Dzire is best bet. Aspire is outdated and sales dud. Amaze - ditto. You can test drive Tigor, Nexon too.
Hi DrRishabh , Thankyou for your input , i agree with you on the aspire and amaze but considering my requirement and budget i dont have much options . currently i am considering Jazz , Although Expensive , its costing me around 7.8lk with extended warranty . which albeit out of budget but is considerably the best option i believe i have .

however i will be visiting a tata showroom soon for a look at tigor and nexon. but i dont belive tata is capable of giving After Sales Service. and i am not sure if tata vehicles are reliable over the period of 5-6 years which i intend to use the car for.

Best
Jatin ahuja

If I were you than I will blindly go with Hyundai i20 sportz vtvt.

Don't know why you are against Hyundai. Any sore experience? If yes than please share it so it will help others also.

Keep aside,

From these three options Desire is the best. K12 is gem petrol engine and you will enjoy ride with respect to other two.

Jazz is overpriced and Aspire missing FORD DNA in build quality and driving dynamics.

Hi , Firstly thanks for your response i really appreciate your input.

so I have roughly driven around 5-6 different hyunday cars in my life and below is my experience with each one of them .

1. Hyundai Santro - Sturdy , good engine , but body roll was very high . ( drove 7.5 years ago )
2. Hyunday Creta - Have driven creta tens of times. very light , only the ride height is good . rest the suspension is pathetic , the ride was super bumpy . the car is SX model and i was driving at the speed of 90-100kmph , i had little to no confidence over the stability . on the other hand i have drive Vento for 800 KMs at the speed ranging between 140-200kmph mostly between 180-200 and had no problems even on bumps . ( drove the creta on same roads i.e pune expressway ) even my swift was smoothly cruizing at 140kmph .
3. Xcent - the car is 2.5 yr old driven 31.3k drove for 40-50kms in the city and the highway both. the car steering was super light , the suspension was very stiff at low speeds. the model had abs with alloy wheels and was is super good condition but still i had no confidence on the car . i was constantly in fear of losing control and mostly there was no feedback on the steering wheel, felt like i am gaming . and lastly the car plastics felt premium but had started rattling .
4. Hyundai Creta - all the cars i drove are of my family members and so is this . drove for around 10-15 kilometers the car albeit is big but felt like a toy [lol]
5. Old I-10 - Have driven countless times felt same like xcent .
6. Old -I20 , friends car , this was before i purchased the swift . drove the car in the city for a few miles to a party , gave it back to my friend to drive while i went back home early friend and other came back late . so he crashed the same head first on a bus stop . the bus stop itself was totalled had to scrap the car . but the surprising part is that the airbags did not go off . albeit the driver or the co-driver were unharmed . the car was speeding and as i said even the bus stop was totalled . but the air bags did not go off. Hyundai claimed the accident was not severe enough to touch the sensor in the car which in turn set the airbags off.

Dzire is my last option , for the car felt same as swift but if at the end when all else fails i will go for dzire .. VXI ... as the ZXI is above 8lk and paying such an amount for a petrol compact sedan that too maruti , makes no sense to me.
( No Offence - Just my opinion )

2 major problems i see with aspire are
1. Lazy Engine - Again Having a test drive today , as i drove the xcent yesterday the engine was very peppy so i wished to compare with aspire and jazz.
2. Low Resale value - i am also saving around 1 lk . as dzire , Jazz and Amaze are all around 8lk. ( after Discount )

Jazz is costing 7.8lk for the V model and 7.5lk for the model below V .
Amaze is costing 7.5 lk for the VX model . so the price is not toooo Steep but i feel to be justified considering the Brand.

Best
Jatin

Go for honda Jazz you will not repent. Aspire is not at all good. Ford service is not good either. Go for hyundai i20 only if u want diesel if it is petrol then forget about it. Jazz is a superior except for a initial low end lag in petrol. it excelled well in ncap crash tests. Jazz has super space every where. Now you will get upto 70k discounts if you buy jazz in dec. Yes it is overpriced for the brand value. But the other options are not better either. With swift itself you had all the issues. Baleno already have suspension issues.If you are ok with waiting periods try vitara brezza. go for polo only if you are bachelor and newly married. jazz will tick all ur boxes
I liked the brezza a lot but is too out of my budget , Aspire Service has improved is what i heards on lots of forums . the only problem with aspire is their sluggish engine . and their resale value . which i feel should improve given the quality they offer .

i have got a good offer on V model of Jazz which albeit is out of my budget but wont be tooo much of a pain , the only hinderance is that many a times there are 5 members in my car and we travel about 100-300 kms at a stretch , it happens once every 2-3 months . but at that time i want them to feel comfortable hence i was opting for a mini sedan . however i would request Jazz owners to give their input over the space in the car. albeit i am having my parents sit in a jazz tomorrow and aspire today . but an owner experience counts a lot to me.

Thanks
Jatin

Hello Jatin, My pick would be either a Aspire or Tigor. Present Jazz is now 3+ year old and might get a facelift by next year or so. i have graduated from Maruti to TATA this year with Tigor 1.2 XZO and absolutely a VFM buy for me. The F.E and overall performance has been very good for me. For me, Dzire looks overpriced and over hyped as a product. BTW, Ameo gets a 1.2 L Petrol with 3 Cyl and yes that's a noisy engine.

Regards

Akash
i am yet to check Tigor , will visit the Nearest Tata showroom soon and let everyone know.

Tigor has very poor engine options, hit or miss after sales etc, imho 1st thing in a car should be engine + transmission

Dzire is so-so, good resale, after sales etc with the obvious cons you listed

Amaze is getting a facelift soon, wait for that

i20 is also getting a facelift soon, worth waiting imho

Aspire is dated but good product but Ford after sales is hit or miss . Diesel is having your cake and eating it too

Jazz petrol is only good with CVT as it masks low end torque response very well, rubber band effect isnt so bad once you get used to it. Honda quality, after sales etc is unmatched after owning numerous cars from various brands

Tough call imho

If you can wait, Jeep plans to launch a sub 4m CSUV soon

PS- I owned Ritz VDI 2011 and other than the boot latch noise (fixed with oil) , suspension (My father roughed it up) and leak from weather seal , I didnt face any problem with my car
Sold last year because I started alot of highway driving and my Ritz lacked ABS

Go for Honda/Hyundai imho after facelifts, very safe buys
Cant Wait , as i told earlier i spend a lot of time in my car and have already sold my swift . Travelling daily (40-50kms ) on Activa is very tiring and back breaking . hence have to book fast .. and considering the budget this is the best time to buy because of december offers else all current options will be out of reach.

Last edited by a moderator:

kkn13

Suspended
Cant Wait , as i told earlier i spend a lot of time in my car and have already sold my swift . Travelling daily (40-50kms ) on Activa is very tiring and back breaking . hence have to book fast .. and considering the budget this is the best time to buy because of december offers else all current options will be out of reach.
Then go for Aspire diesel, i20 diesel or Jazz (petrol is smooth but low end torque is not great, CVT masks it well though. Diesel is a bit noisy and crude but no issues otherwise)

For that sort of usage and coming from a legend engine like 1.3 MJD (Like me)
Go for a beast engined car only
You might get good discounts on i20 diesel

Else get Verna or City mid variants, much better than going in for half baked sedans or poorly powered 3 cylinder cars

The suspension in the Tiago or Tigor is much better than the one in the Jazz. I may be wrong, but the Honda Vezel Taxis I travel in often in Singapore have hard seats, noisy cabins. I expect the India spec Jazz to be worse. Somehow, the Tigor felt more silent inside, but you can test drive and check. If you are open to more options, you could explore the TUV300 base model as well.

I have a Baleno, Nano Twist and Xcent. By far, the Nano's service is the most hassle free. Yes, you may need to request things more than once but the complaints are promptly addressed. A recent service of the Baleno led us to an argument at Maruti because the jokers there charged for an air filter without replacing it. Hyundai I cannot comment because we get the oil change etc done at a FNG since the car will be out of warranty soon. But the Xcent has a harsh ride. And plastics are not comparable to the Tigor.

Anyone who says TASS is bad has not experienced it himself or herself. They will not serve you fancy coffee but they won't cheat or overcharge you.

Thread Starter #15
Then go for Aspire diesel, i20 diesel or Jazz (petrol is smooth but low end torque is not great, CVT masks it well though. Diesel is a bit noisy and crude but no issues otherwise)

For that sort of usage and coming from a legend engine like 1.3 MJD (Like me)
Go for a beast engined car only
You might get good discounts on i20 diesel

Else get Verna or City mid variants, much better than going in for half baked sedans or poorly powered 3 cylinder cars

I am not going for a diesel , i dont wish to atleast.. the noise and vibration sets me off. there is 1 more issue with diesel cars which many few people understand Kindly dont laugh :P ... Diesel burns with a big bang inside the engine ( correct me if i am wrong ) as compared to petrol . this big bang is the reason diesel engines make high vibrations and noise , but there is a 3rd drawback i.e due to this high bang the Air inside the cabin also vibrates and hence causes Headaches and Gastric Problems. albeit i dont face this problem every now and then , but i have experienced it . and its not me alone , many people face problems due to diesel engines. Nausea , Gas problems , Acidity , Headaches .

Diesel cars are not smooth and causes lots of jerks because of their high torque from the start ,this also causes irritation and uneasyness in many people .

I am sure many of you diesel heads would have faced motion sickness in the diesel cars as compared to petrol ...

Again this is a belief and research done by me alone ( along with my friends ) . but i havent heard of it hence havent spoken of it before.

Top Bottom