Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Polo 1.2T

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I am planning to get my first car and narrowed down to tiago. The OTR of tiago XZ is around 5.86.

As the price is around 6L, which pulls polo 1.2T to my option now[confused]. I would travel around 300+K 15 days once and little trips inside Chennai city.

6L for polo is extra stretch for me. So my budget is not more than 6L[cry].

Any advice would help!!!

Thank you in advance[embarass].

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Pls Help me to deciding on Tiago or Polo

Hi Friends,

I am planning to get my first car and narrowed down to tiago. The OTR of tiago XZ is around 5.86.

As the price is around 6L, which pulls polo 1.2T to my option now. I would travel around 300+K 15 days once and little trips inside Chennai city.

6L for polo is extra stretch for me. So my budget is not more than 6L.
Polo is a mean machine. Tiago is a simple and no-nonsense car. If it is between these two, then, I would say go for Polo. German perfection is there and Polo is a favorite among most of the enthusiasts. But do take note, VW Aftersales can be a hit or a miss! Which Variant of Polo are you looking for?

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3

Akash1886,

I am looking for petrol 1.2L entry level

Akash1886

Honoured Member

I am looking for petrol 1.2L entry level
That means Trendline. Well then XZ Tiago looks very good to me. In Polo base version you'll miss out comfort & aesthetic features which you'll get in XZ Tiago. Tough call here! The VW aftersales is a concern for me otherwise Polo is a good machine. Tata Aftersales is much better than VW. If you are concerned about re-sale too then I guess Polo has upper hand here and if you want to modify your car in future then too Polo is a good option. However, Tiago Petrol serves purpose well and is elegant looking one but if Polo Vs Tiago, definitely Polo then. Are you also open to compact sedans?

Regards

Akash

kkn13

Suspended

Id say neither, right now buying any car is not worth it given the current state of Bharat Stage VI coming in as early as 2018
This means 90% of engines in our market are gonna become fairly obsolete soon

Wait for more announcements from manufacturers because most engines are gonna receive replacements

If urgent, then Tiago VS Polo is not a fair comparison
Both have hit or miss after sales and niggles but Tata wins here

If you are considering Polo, dont settle for 1.2 MPI engine, its noisy , underpowered and the whole package is underfeatured, maintenance is very costly and not reliable (My SIL had Polo , sold last year)

With Tiago, you get a better loaded package but fit and finish is hit or miss, engine is fairly underpowered but you spend a lot lesser, more space in the cabin, better seats

Frankly if urgent, save your money and go for Tiago unless you are eyeing upper variants of Polo with better engines, so as to justify why you bought Polo over Tiago but honestly buy Tiago now and buy a bigger car in future instead of buying a depreciating , unreliable Polo base variant

Another great buy is the Ford Figo, much better engine(1.2 TI-VCT is 4cylinder over 3 cylinder in Tiago and Polo), better after sales, better reliability , better cabin space and within your budget
You should ideally buy the 1.5 TDCI IMHO, its an absolute stonker of an engine and only 1.2L extra, totally worth it

If I were you, Id wait for confirmation of which engines are getting Bharat Stage VI compliance personally

Last edited:

IMO, Tiago is better option with less maintenance. And TATA seems to be more promising these days with their change in strategy.

You can choose XZ to get most of the feature benefits. Also there is some Wiz or Wizzle edition coming or arrived; checkout at TATA dealership.

Thread Starter #7
That means Trendline. Well then XZ Tiago looks very good to me. In Polo base version you'll miss out comfort & aesthetic features which you'll get in XZ Tiago. Tough call here! The VW aftersales is a concern for me otherwise Polo is a good machine. Tata Aftersales is much better than VW. If you are concerned about re-sale too then I guess Polo has upper hand here and if you want to modify your car in future then too Polo is a good option. However, Tiago Petrol serves purpose well and is elegant looking one but if Polo Vs Tiago, definitely Polo then. Are you also open to compact sedans?

Regards

Akash
Hi akash,

I have decided no MS, hundai as of now. But i wish to listen to your suggestions as well.

Regards,
Varman

Id say neither, right now buying any car is not worth it given the current state of Bharat Stage VI coming in as early as 2018

Wait for more announcements from manufacturers because most engines are gonna receive replacements

If you are considering Polo, dont settle for 1.2 MPI engine, its noisy , underpowered and the whole package is underfeatured, maintenance is very costly and not reliable (My SIL had Polo , sold last year)

With Tiago, you get a better loaded package but fit and finish is hit or miss, engine is fairly underpowered but you spend a lot lesser, more space in the cabin, better seats

Frankly if urgent, save your money and go for Tiago unless you are eyeing upper variants of Polo with better engines, so as to justify why you bought Polo over Tiago but honestly buy Tiago now and buy a bigger car in future instead of buying a depreciating , unreliable Polo base variant

Another great buy is the Ford Figo, much better engine(1.2 TI-VCT is 4cylinder over 3 cylinder in Tiago and Polo), better after sales, better reliability , better cabin space and within your budget
You should ideally buy the 1.5 TDCI IMHO, its an absolute stonker of an engine and only 1.2L extra, totally worth it

If I were you, Id wait for confirmation of which engines are getting Bharat Stage VI compliance personally
Thank you kkn13!

Any idea how long the wait would be approximately?

Last edited by a moderator:

kkn13

Suspended

Thank you kkn13!

Any idea how long the wait would be approximately?
No idea but given the April 2018 deadline for BS VI fuel roll out in Delhi, you could be looking at 1-2 months for announcements

Ideally certain engines in the market are already Euro VI compliant so a simple DPF change for diesel engines (not sure about what changes are for petrols) is all thats needed so you might not need to wait for new releases, a simple confirmation on part of the companies regarding which engines are compliant, is all thats needed

I purchased Tucson because its Euro VI compliant, meaning when BS VI becomes the only fuel type available, I can change to a new DPF
But if the roll out takes longer, then DPF change is not recommended because it could actually get clogged with BS IV fuel so even with half rollout of BS VI, running on BS IV compliant DPF is recommended
Petrol situation is still a bit clouded wrt to BS VI

Sir I think you are little wrongly informed as the BS VI emission are not not going to hit the Indian market before april 2020 as a draft issued by road transport minsitry instructs manufacturers to produce and then BS VI compliant ones from 2020 and in NCR region norms are to implementex from 2018 itself And also since he is looking for a petrol car there will not be much difference with BS IV or BS VI it mainly effect the diesel engines and the most major effect of that will be fiat phasing out its famous 1.3 litre engine that powers all the diesel cars in the maruti stable and a few tata as well. And as for which one tiago or polo I think you'd be better off with tiago since you're eyeing the bese model of polo which doesn't offer any creature comfort and neither is very explosive to drive either so you can safely choose Tiago as it is the most rounded product in the market additionally you can also look at swift petrol with the new swift coming there can be heavy disounts on the current ones and it can fetch you an excellent package for the same money along with marutis relaible service network
Cheers.

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended

Sir I think you are little wrongly informed as the BS VI emission are not not going to hit the Indian market before april 2020 as a draft issued by road transport minsitry instructs manufacturers to produce and then BS VI compliant ones from 2020 and in NCR region norms are to implementex from 2018 itself And also since he is looking for a petrol car there will not be much difference with BS IV or BS VI it mainly effect the diesel engines and the most major effect of that will be fiat phasing out its famous 1.3 litre engine that powers all the diesel cars in the maruti stable and a few tata as well. And as for which one tiago or polo I think you'd be better off with tiago since you're eyeing the bese model of polo which doesn't offer any creature comfort and neither is very explosive to drive either so you can safely choose Tiago as it is the most rounded product in the market additionally you can also look at swift petrol with the new swift coming there can be heavy disounts on the current ones and it can fetch you an excellent package for the same money along with marutis relaible service network
Cheers.
Not really, BS VI fuel is coming in April 2018 and roll out will start then
BS-VI norms to be introduced next April in Delhi, 2 years ahead of schedule : India, News - India Today

In the meantime, certain engines wont get BS VI certification and those which are BS VI certified will run on BS IV DPF and other parts until roll out is completed, after which customer simply has to switch certain parts to make the engine BS VI compliant

Fiat 1.3 MJD fate is actually only a grey area, they might bring in the 1.3 MJD II which is Euro VI compliant
The reports only stated that Fiat hasnt gotten further orders but given upcoming FCA launches, expect 1.3 MJD II and 1.6 MJD II to make a return when BS VI arrives
Given the struggles with in-house diesel engines, its likely Tata and Maruti will adopt the above engines in some of the cars if not as widely

Alot of engines are a grey area when it comes to BS VI and Fiat,VW,Honda etc will need to clarify

Petrol remains clouded with doubts , only diesel knowledge has come to light

Also BS IV engines will face a significant drop in fuel economy with BS VI fuel, so its better to wait and see

Last edited:
@varman The rule of thumb is never buy base variant of any model as essential features will not be included. So go for Tiago. You need not wait for BS VI engines as they may not be coming anytime soon. Automakers have already said it will be difficult to adapt the EU engines (Diesel) as the temperature in Particulate filter needs to raise up to 600 degree which isn't possible in India due to low speed condition and smaller engines. Engines need to be modified to great extent (raising the cost of diesel cars by 50,000 to 2 Lakhs depending on CC) to burn particulate matter at 400 degrees. Also NOx has to be reduced from 0.25 to 0.06 .
As far as Petrol engine is concerned, it is a simpler fix - only NOx has to be reduced from 0.08 to 0.06 and particulate matter has to be 0.005. However the refineries might not be able to supply BS VI fuel throughout India in time.
Refineries will be spending 30,000 Crore to bring in BS VI fuel in Delhi & NCR alone by 2018. It is anybody's guess when they will distribute it through out India.

Not really, BS VI fuel is coming in April 2018 and roll out will start then
BS-VI norms to be introduced next April in Delhi, 2 years ahead of schedule : India, News - India Today

In the meantime, certain engines wont get BS VI certification and those which are BS VI certified will run on BS IV DPF and other parts until roll out is completed, after which customer simply has to switch certain parts to make the engine BS VI compliant

Fiat 1.3 MJD fate is actually only a grey area, they might bring in the 1.3 MJD II which is Euro VI compliant
The reports only stated that Fiat hasnt gotten further orders but given upcoming FCA launches, expect 1.3 MJD II and 1.6 MJD II to make a return when BS VI arrives
Given the struggles with in-house diesel engines, its likely Tata and Maruti will adopt the above engines in some of the cars if not as widely

Alot of engines are a grey area when it comes to BS VI and Fiat,VW,Honda etc will need to clarify

Petrol remains clouded with doubts , only diesel knowledge has come to light

Also BS IV engines will face a significant drop in fuel economy with BS VI fuel, so its better to wait and see
Tata's Revotron and Revotorq engines are BS VI ready engines and they need not look for Fiat/MJD II. Even maruti is prepairing there own 1.5L diesel engine and is testing it with Ciaz. It's actually the celerio's engine with 4 cylinders.

So we might not see 1.3L MJD II manufacturing in India but you never know if Jeep can pull then we will see it.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Hi akash,

I have decided no MS, hundai as of now. But i wish to listen to your suggestions as well.
Not including Maruti is a good move as they don't have anything which can compete with the competition as of now. Plus, their products do not feel VFM to me be it the Dzire or the Ignis. Baleno has issues of sub-par bodyshell & suspension. For Hyundai, you may consider Grand i10 if it suits your budget and if you are willing to stretch your budget for a good product.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #15
you have another reason to pick Tiago with the on-going year end discounts on offer. According to below news article, Tiago gets 26K discount (need to know what strings are attached to this offer).

Tata Motors slashes car prices - The Hindu
Hi Prabhagar,
Thanks for the info. I will take this with the dealer and see what they have to tell about it.[:D]

Regards,
Varman

Not including Maruti is a good move as they don't have anything which can compete with the competition as of now. Plus, their products do not feel VFM to me be it the Dzire or the Ignis. Baleno has issues of sub-par bodyshell & suspension. For Hyundai, you may consider Grand i10 if it suits your budget and if you are willing to stretch your budget for a good product.

Regards

Akash
But we have to accept they do have lot of positives. else they could not have got lots of fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom