Help Me To Choose Right AT Car For Rs.10 Lakh

Thread Starter #1
Hello,

I'm planning to buy an automatic petrol car. This is going to be my first automatic motor & I'm confused a lot.

Below are the automatic options & from what I've understood, DCT is the best followed by CVT. But I've also read CVT produces lenier output vs. DCT's powerful engine which might be difficult for a beginner. But Aspire (DCT) got Hill Hold Drive Assist, Paddle Shifts, Stability and Traction Control.

AMT: Maruti Desire & Maruti Baleno
CVT: Honda Amaze, Honda Jazz
6 speed DCT: Ford Aspire

Budget:*10 lakhs OTR

Top Five Priorities:*
1. Good Drive-ability - Personally I love driving and always preferred a manual transmission over automatics. But wife is desperate for an automatic!! So looking for a car with good maneuverability in city and decent highway drive.
2. Space & comfort - Seating comfort for back seat passengers. Should fit 5 people during long drive.
3. Safety - Good safety features
4. Efficiency & low maintenance

Monthly Running: < 700 kms

Type of Fuel:*Petrol

What Purpose:*80% city commute, 20% highway drive

Seating Capacity:*Maximum 5 Adults

Segment:*Hatchback or compact sedan

Please help me in choosing the right car for me.

Regards,
Arun

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Help choosing the right automatic car!!!

Hello,

I'm planning to buy an automatic petrol car. This is going to be my first automatic motor & I'm confused a lot.
I would say have a look on AMT Tigor as well Arun and the Tiago AMT too. Also, I feel Ignis AMT can be considered too. I feel the new Dezire is overpriced for a 1.2L Petrol engine and the built is also not up to the mark. Ford DCT is a good choice too.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3

Thank you Aakash for the recommendations! I am little skeptical about AMT as compared to CVT and DCT engines. Again, based solely on what I've heard and read about automatics. May be I'll have to do couple of test drives before zeroing out.. But I'll be interested to know your take on all 3 engines when it comes to drive-ability..

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Thank you Aakash for the recommendations! I am little skeptical about AMT as compared to CVT and DCT engines. Again, based solely on what I've heard and read about automatics. May be I'll have to do couple of test drives before zeroing out.. But I'll be interested to know your take on all 3 engines when it comes to drive-ability..
Actually, The AMT in Maruti has got issues but I feel the CVT still fares better than AMT in performance and the rubber-band effect that is often talked about, if you are OK with it then definitely CVT is fine for you. I would say Test Drive the Tigor & Tiago AMT too. As far as the 1.2 L 4 Cyl Vs 1.2 L 3 Cyl is concerned, surely the 4 Cyl engine has better performance in terms of NVH and drive-ability. I owned a 1.3L 4 Cyl Esteem for more than a decade and it performed very well. In the last years it showed age related issues but overall it was good and I clocked 1.85L Kms before selling it. Now I have a Tigor 1.2 Petrol MT. Comparing to the Esteem's engine yes this new one felt a bit different to me initially. But frankly, as I have been driving it the engine hasn't disappointed me and my new car is 3300+ kms now and it is working smoothly and giving a reasonable FE. ASC wise there are rough edges at places in TML but then the owner has to be pro-active enough to take note. Let me also add here, my family was absolutely against my decision of owning a TATA car and I had a real tough time to convince them but my decision to buy Tigor has proved good and positive so far.

Regards

Akash

My best pick amongst all these considering space, comfort, convenience would be the Honda Jazz. It is structurally a better car than the Amaze, which is built on the lesser Brio platform. And between the Jazz and Figo, there is no contest in terms of space. I would not even look at the AMT gearbox, considering that it has jerky responses and is the least pleasurable amongst the options you are considering. I have driven the Figo DCT for some time while making my own AT choice earlier this year, and I found that the DCT was not so smooth and seamless, and infact, you will have to struggle a bit to contain its rather sharp acceleration in the city drive- its not jerky as a transmission, but can feel un-even in terms of the final driving in the city. The Polo GT TSI with its DSG is the best dual-clutch transmission, is completely smooth and of course, the most powerful AT in terms of performance. It was my choice ultimately, but considering space to be a priority for you, I'd go with the Jazz CVT. For one, I found that the oft-criticized lack of low-end torque in the 1.2 iVTEC is largely negated by the CVT transmission.
As an aside, you could also take a look at the Ecosport Trend AT petrol version with its new Dragon engine and the 6-speed Torque convertor AT. This type of transmission is the traditional, reliable one, and you get the essential safety kit in terms of dual airbags, ABS, EBD, ESP. It should be at or just a bit over your budget.

Last edited:
If you are hell bent on smoothness, a CVT will bring smile on your face but do consider the rubberband effect of the CVT. Honda Jazz with there stepped CVT and paddle shifters does mask out the rubber band effect. As per DCT is concerned, DCT is not that great in our stop and go traffic. Ford 6 speed DCT is a Getrag sourced dry clutch unit and has clutch burn out issues. VW DSG also have some problems more specific to its 7 speed dry clutch DCT (DQ200). With a budget of 10 lakh, Ford Ecosport AT in the Trend+ variant will be a bit expensive but it has a 6 speed torque converter.

As per AMT is concerned, Ignis AMT is a great choice and Next year we shall see the all new Swift with AMT so you might wait. Tiago AMT and Tigor AMT are worthy enough to be given serious consideration.
Dzire AMT in its top 2 trims are expensive i feel.

Do test drive the Tiago/Tigor AMT, Ignis AMT, Jazz/Amaze CVT, Baleno CVT, Brio AT also Figo/Aspire DCT and try to follow the order cause if you drive a DCT, TC or CVT first and then jump to a AMT, you will be disappointed.

My view is that the Jazz is a superior car in terms of build quality, space, comfort and performance to either Dzire and most certainly the Ignis. As an ex-owner of a CVT transmission Micra, I must say that the rubber band effect is there, but it all depends on priorities. The CVT can catch you out a bit if you are trying hard to accelerate from 40-70 kph to overtake that slow moving truck. In that sense, you have to time things better and have a good judgement. In that situation, shifting to Sport mode helps (not always). The DSG in Sport mode would be an absolute rocket under the circumstances. But otherwise, the CVT is a hassle free,economical and reliable city driving option. Just dont expect it to blistering fast.
IMO, the Dzire/Ignis would be better in their regular manual avatars. There is also the Baleno CVT Alpha/Zeta. But again, I would state that the Jazz is the better option overall.

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended
As an owner of a Honda, I vote for Jazz as well
Honda is Honda and it barely ages with time

CVT doesnt like jamming the accelerator but its power delivery is very good and masks the shortcomings of the 1.2 IVTEC

4 cylinder is 4 cylinder and it shows

Baleno CVT is also decent but Jazz is a very underrated car and is the better pick

Thread Starter #10
Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. I went to Concord motors to test drive Tigor AMT and saw Tata Nexon live for the first time!! I was reading a lot about Nexon these days but it never interested me as it looked too funky for my liking and also looked like a cross over than a compact SUV.. But my opinion changed immediately the moment I saw it live..
It surely looks bigger in action than how it looks on picture. The stance and high ground clearance make it look like a big car (still nothing like an EcoSport but definitely better than Brezza). The sales executive started explaining about the vehicle and the demand it has created. I was totally impressed. I did a test drive of diesel engine and have to admit it's fantastic..[cheers] Loaded with features, balanced drive-ability, handling and compliant ride quality, I think it's the best in this segment [clap] My wife liked it too but was disappointed immediately knowing there is no AMT till next year[lol]
Later i read lot of reviews and happy to see so many positive reviews for a Tata car.. Indeed Tata is on the right direction.. I'm doing a petrol test drive tomorrow as I'm more inclined towards petrol due to my limited usage. If I like it, I will try to convince my better half..

Regards,
Arun

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. I went to Concord motors to test drive Tigor AMT
How was the AMT's performance?

I'm doing a petrol test drive tomorrow as I'm more inclined towards petrol due to my limited usage. If I like it, I will try to convince my better half..
Petrol Nexon is unappealing to me personally after having driven it. Diesel Nexon is my pick. Eco Sport Petrol is a better option in petrol and if you are looking for a petrol C-SUV, Eco Sport is as of now best among the lot.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #12
I enjoyed it! Initially I took some time to get used to it but felt relaxed after a while. The drive was smooth & felt good. I wanted to do back to back drives of Tigor, Jazz, Baleno and Aspire as suggested by ticken. So going for another test drive next Saturday for all. But I have to admit Nexon, Tigor and Tiago looked very unlike Tata!!

Meanwhile the sales executive, realising that I liked Nexon, started literally selling it to me!!

You have good budget to choose a hatchback. I am little leaned towards a Manual Transmission when it comes to Bangalore traffic. I would suggest to go for Manual rather than Automatic so as to get more FE and less maintenance.

DCT is best, it is meant to be design for Euporean traffic when people needs a hassle free drive. CVT is another option but you will have loose on FE. Plus you need a space for 5 then there are few cars than remains on the list.

Honda Jazz top spec privilege edition fits in your budget, with a good balance between power and FE.

Ford Figo 1.5 AT top spec is another option to go for. I wouldn't suggest any Maruti vehicle as most of them do not pass the NCAP safety test.

For the manual option you can think of Hyundai i20 Asta(O) variant. A wide car with good boot space and car for 5 people with lots of features.

kkn13

Suspended
DCT/DSG are disastrous for bumper to bumper traffic
2 clutches constantly switching back and forth in traffic means double the heat generation and wear

AMT is jerky, unreliable

Id suggest CVT or Torque Converter ATs as far as possible for reliability, performance etc

Hello sir you have mentioned that you have a preference for sedan or hatchback but I would still like you to have a look at the facelift ecosport in its trend plus variant which will fit your budget and also comes with niche safety features like esp, hill hold and traction control along with airbags, abs and ebd and I also read you liked the nexon and since you prefer automatics if you can wait for about 3 months you can get an amt nexon in first quarter of 2018 albeit in xz trim only.
Cheers

Top Bottom