Starting To Buy My New Car (Read Replacing 16 Year Old Workhorse Maruti Zen)

Thread Starter #1
Begining this thread with excitement, First the basics, I have currently two three cars at my family disposal. Will add a few pics here to explain which one I want to replace.
This is a 2002 ZEN MPFI Vxi vehicle, It is always serviced with local MASS. The only change in the vehicle is the Stereo. The original was a Kenwood cassette player, Just replaced it with a JVC one at the time (with USB/AUX and bluetooth module it was state-of-the art at the time, A pair of JVC recommended speakers were added to the stock front speakers in the original ZEn, nothing big, Car is stock for every practical purpose

after 16 years and about 105k kms it is looking like this now, I think I did keep her well, see the attached pics

Now the hunt starts, The issue now is lack of spares with MASS, Dont like to go to market to buy an accelerator cable or shocks, They are all available, But I'am a lazy person for all this parts hunting stuff. SO the look for a replacement

Requirements are pretty clear, I'am nearing 50 yrs. Driving for the last many years got Dl in 1986 and with over 3 or 4 lakh kms driving throughout INdia (My most favourite adventure was a Mumbai-Kerala drive when I was in college) Well at the time Mumbai-pune-Kolhapur-Hubli-Sirsi-Kumta- Manglore-cochin took me a good 30-32 odd hours, The best being the ghat sections near sirsi in july-august, rain makes the place a real adventure at night....

Now I'am more subtle and settled, and I need the following
Must Have
1. Reasonably Priced
2. Driver seat height adjust
3. ABS that is a real good thing to have
4. Rear washer and wiper
5. Reverse camera. (nothing more safe than to see if those kids are playing behind in my blind spot)
6. Day night IRVM
7. Fog lamps (not driving lamps, The real yellow ones too use in fog)
8. Diesel, (Torque at low-mid range is what you need on Indian roads, Of course you always pollute less when you burn less fuel too and also the $$saving and higher resale)

Preferred requirements-nice to have (when two models provide the above)
1. An automatic (getting old)
2. rear defogger
3. Automatic irvm day night
4. Parking assist sensor (well some noise is good)
5.Navigation (hmmm some-what my phone does that too anyway)
6.Steering wheel controls for volume track phone.

Nuisance-means you have to buy these if you want to get what you need
companies decide what is best for you , so they can make merry of your misfortune, some are somewhat useful too, well just in case
Projector lamps, Airbags (this is the most feared thing in cars for me, because of their history), Alloy wheels (costly showoff), DRL (hehe),
Well looked the following, and fixed a budget of Rs. 10 lakhs on road maximum
1. Hyundai i10 AT , No more driver seat height adjust in automatic, You get all the surplus in Hyundai's factory, DRL, Alloys and all stuff. cost on road 7.63
2. TATA Tigor, This is perhaps the best car in the segment made today, Petrol and diesel both are a turn off on paper. Yet to get a test drive. All TATA does is send text messages and some Gentlemen and Ladies calling and asking to book. No one knows when a TD will be given...
3. IGNIS. Excellent if I can convince my son to accept the looks, But he does not want it, Even I think the persons who designed the front may be smoking too much weed. No offence intended!!, But the thing is good, It has everything. period. maybe it is going to be it!! by the way things are moving. Maybe a couple of smaller diameter round twin headlights or a pop up healamp like the old celica GT, would have made it awesome.
4.Tiago XZA, well it has most stuff, Even a driving assist, (wont accept it as automatic, that is the real thing but reasonable and excellent solution for an otherwise complex problem)A mapmyindia smart mirror thing could make it my choice, again TATA wont let me drive it lol....no vehicle available.

So tried the Ford figo AT, not as smooth as Hyundais torque converter, and more moody and unpredictable, than my better half when you leave the clutch, otherwise works ok. And a good nice driving position. Call it feedback or whatever I dont like the way Figo wrestles me when I turn it at speed. May be good for racing or something, Well have to say the nose goes where I want it to very quickly, but the rear is a little twitchy if you apply left and right too fast.

Now Honda has promised me an awesome deal with exchange for their BRIO. Maybe that AT will do, Have to plonk a camera into it, But going by what i see on internet options for replacing sock ICE with good ones are available, Have to find out if there is space for speakers at rear.

Also if I'am missing anything please advice, I'am approaching this with a very open mind. I can say Hyundai guys who bought the TD does not have any idea as to what the various boxes which I see in the engine bay are for, I had to close inspect to find out one was a fuse box, just behind the battery, There is another vertically mounted stuff behind hat which no one seems to know what for?

Attachments

The way you wrote is Interesting but, I am sorry to say, is also distracting. Your requirements are conveyed very indirectly. Nevertheless, based on your location where you might need to do some mild off-road drives, I would recommend a Compact SUV like Mahindra TUV300 Diesel AT, Tata Nexon Diesel (AT to be launched soon) and Ford Ecosport Petrol AT. They would come above your max budget of Rs 10 Lakhs. For comparo, Baleno Alpha 1.2 AT Petrol might cost around Rs 10 Lakhs, in Bangalore; has to be cheaper in Kerla.

I would recommend you to consult websites like Carwale to compare features across different cars and shortlist a few cars. If you can provide your shortlist as per TAI guidelines (link here), members will be able to assist you much better.

kkn13

Suspended
Thats a very well maintained car Sir!!
Ignis would be my personal pick of the bunch
The other options you mentioned have very lacklustre engines and iffy after sales and reliability

Id suggest Ecosport Petrol or Diesel imho or even Baleno diesel or petrol CVT
Or even upcoming cars like the Toyota Rush

TUV300 3 cylinder is very noisy, requires frequent downshifts and AMT unit is very iffy

You should also look at the Duster , K2K is a tried and tested diesel engine. Has excellent driveability and my own car is still running smooth at 3L km with the local car broker's son who bought it from me

Personally Id wait for a while because Honda, Maruti,Toyota and Hyundai have some interesting rumoured launches coming up given the slightly outdated line up and Bharat Stage VI is also coming in soon , so expect alot of engine changes especially for diesel

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Thats a very well maintained car Sir!!
Ignis would be my personal pick of the bunch
The other options you mentioned have very lacklustre engines and iffy after sales and reliability

Id suggest Ecosport Petrol or Diesel imho or even Baleno diesel or petrol CVT
Or even upcoming cars like the Toyota Rush

You should also look at the Duster , K2K is a tried and tested diesel engine. Has excellent driveability and my own car is still running smooth at 3L km with the local car broker's son who bought it from me
Thank you very much. Exactly the kind of input I'am looking for,
Never knew there is a BALENO CVT. Maybe I never tried to find out, Will ask MASS this week I have an appointment with them. My SA at local service MASS says K12 engines are excellant if not better than my G-10

And Duster That is huge right?. I do drive my cousins ecosport diesel IT is a good car, But parking is a bit problem in my workplace.
I would have settled with a Tiago XZA, But even getting a TD seems a big thing from TATA, Have seen a lot of those on road,mostly XT Only XZ. The question is TD is something every brand dishes out in plenty. If TATA shies away from even giving a TD (reason no td vehicle available), What would be their after-sale thingy like?

I will be going for it by Dec-15 anyway or may wait for Christmas offers to come out. But Maruti and Hyundai are the only ones who are actually intrested in selling something. That feeling is personal from my experience. Nissan dont want to even discuss Micra CVT, So is TATA. Well one Gentleman talked to me over phone after I gave the number on Tiago website, He was telling he will send me pictures of the car on whatsapp. I told him dont bother, He then told me some lady from dealer will call, It happened The lady then told me someone else will call to give TD. Never happened, IN the meantime TATA motors does send messages thanking me for enquiring. Well nothing else happened,

If you can provide your shortlist as per TAI guidelines (link here), members will be able to assist you much better.
Well almost all of the guidelines are there, Things like preferences are given as per my specification, must have, nice to have, Nuicence(means does not find useful, but forced by manufaturer on me)
I dont have any fixed monthly running km, I'am a lawyer and travels as per requirement. Many a time just leave the car and call a Taxi for a whole day type.So cant say, Some months it is as low as 300 or so kms , sometimes it goes up to about 1500kms.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Firstly, if possible then retain that Zen. One gem of a car. Else find a buyer who shall keep the car in good shape and take proper care. I am sure on your side of the country, enthusiasts do modify these type of cars very nicely. Coming to your present need, I believe due to uncertain monthly running pattern I would say go for a petrol vehicle and if it is a real need then only go for something bigger else a AT Hatchback is good enough in my view. If your budget is 5-7 lacs Ex-Showroom) then in petrol you have Figo, i10, Tiago & Tigor and Ignis is there. If you still want an easy on pocket and easy to drive hatch then check for Wagon R AMT if any variant fits in your needs. If your budget is 7-10 Lacs (Ex-Showroom) then you can go for either a Eco Sport with AT or maybe XT or XM Diesel Nexon. If you have time with you, then, wait till April-2018, let the Expo end,then, Nexon AMT is on the cards and a new Swift is also on the cards.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #6
My wife says dont sell off the ZEN, But well what would happen after five years is a big unknown in current circumstances, Also some space needs to be freed in the house to keep that when the new car is coming in, We can park two not three, Well enough of time anyway. Do you think Honda may introduce a new Brio in near future. I like the thing, Also Ignis is on my radar, But for some generation problems in looks !!

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Do you think Honda may introduce a new Brio in near future. I like the thing, Also Ignis is on my radar, But for some generation problems in looks !!
Do wait till the Expo 2018. Brio actually wasn't my choice ever as such. Too small and specially that glass boot door is an eyesore to me. I told Ignis simply because of it's height and safety in base model. Rest, even I am not really fond of it as per the looks and price. Give a try to XZA Tiago or else if you feel OK then check for Baleno too. But let me tell you, build quality of Tata Vs Maruti is like Apples & Oranges.

Regards

Akash

kkn13

Suspended
^^ Unless theres NCAP proof of that, I personally disagree with that

There were rumours of a new Brio platform coming forth due to current one being outdated
Heard its based on the new Civic platform so thats a plus

Ignis and Baleno would be my choices for immediate purchase personally followed by Tiago which misses out on cabin space,engine etc

Thread Starter #9
To my utter surprise TATA motors sent me a message yessterday evening saying consultant will call you shortly and guess what HE DID!!.
He asked if the dealer treated me ok lol... I told him yes and just explained the lack of AMT TD car.
Today morning another gentleman calls and says TD car has arrived and if it will suit me if he bring it for TD today 4.00PM, Well said yes and waiting for the TEST DRIVE!![clap]
Well Well it works .
Will post how that went after getting TD.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
^^ Unless theres NCAP proof of that, I personally disagree with that
It definitely does matter to an extent to judge the safety of a car by the crash test ratings. However, crash tests alone don't constitute the overall safety of the car. If the build quality or the sheet metal is of such low importance then we should make cars of plastic or the foil paper aluminium that we use in our lunch box. There is no need of a thick metal sheet and all those cars which have failed due to poor / unstable structure should not be considered unsafe. We should probably think of making thinner sheet metal cars with top level safety features. Not in every situation does the airbag deploys. There are situations where a minor hit causes considerable damage to a car with substandard body where as in the same scenario a car with much better built can survive with reasonably low damage. So, the strength of the body of a car has equal importance as the provision of safety features in it. There is no particular official measure to judge the thickness or thinness of the body of car except practical experiences of touch & feel.

--Akash

kkn13

Suspended
It definitely does matter to an extent to judge the safety of a car by the crash test ratings. However, crash tests alone don't constitute the overall safety of the car. If the build quality or the sheet metal is of such low importance then we should make cars of plastic or the foil paper aluminium that we use in our lunch box. There is no need of a thick metal sheet and all those cars which have failed due to poor / unstable structure should not be considered unsafe. We should probably think of making thinner sheet metal cars with top level safety features. Not in every situation does the airbag deploys. There are situations where a minor hit causes considerable damage to a car with substandard body where as in the same scenario a car with much better built can survive with reasonably low damage. So, the strength of the body of a car has equal importance as the provision of safety features in it. There is no particular official measure to judge the thickness or thinness of the body of car except practical experiences of touch & feel.

--Akash
Design matters more, otherwise your thick metal arguement will mean commercial vehicles, HM Ambassador are all safer than a modern car
Tata Zest's 0 stars in NCAP without airbags initially also seals the arguement, they introduced a reinforced chassis and added airbags and got 4 stars but what about the owners of the 0 stars chassis Zest
Im not buying the arguement, especially given the Baleno is exported to Home Country Japan from India itself and Ignis is based on the Baleno chassis itself

Also Asian manufacturers give more importance to chassis design because thicker sheet metal can actually trap victims of a crash
Others give more importance to sheet metal

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Design matters more, otherwise your thick metal arguement will mean commercial vehicles, HM Ambassador are all safer than a modern car
Design has many technical aspects attached to it and it is not just about the looks and curves. Design should be such that it should be able to protect the cabin in the impact and I suppose you didn't understand my view, I said, "Body shell strength and the metal sheet need equal importance and relevance along with safety gadgets". Now, Kindly prove that present generation of Tata Cars i.e Tiago to Nexon have poor built quality in comparison to other popular Japanese Brands. Provide us NCAP Videos where Tata cars from Tata Tiago onwards have failed crash test and scored "0" = Zero. I want you to put up Videos of Tata Cars from Tiago onward and prove they are built poor!

Tata Zest's 0 stars in NCAP without airbags initially also seals the arguement, they introduced a reinforced chassis and added airbags and got 4 stars but what about the owners of the 0 stars chassis Zest
How can you classify on who owns a Zero Rated Zest and who owns a 4 Star Rated Zest? The crash test you are referring to was done on a standard variant having no safety features as well. Do you have conclusive proof where it was categorically mentioned that "Zest has poor built quality/ body shell"?

Im not buying the arguement, especially given the Baleno is exported to Home Country Japan from India itself and Ignis is based on the Baleno chassis itself
Do not compare export models to domestic models. A lot differs in both in every aspect. Kwid is also exported to many markets internationally but can we compare Kwid of India to that of Brazil?

Also Asian manufacturers give more importance to chassis design because thicker sheet metal can actually trap victims of a crash
Others give more importance to sheet metal
Firstly, The main aim of a body shell is to distribute the impact and keep the passengers safe. Secondly, as per your underlined point, we should not praise VW, Ford, Tata since all of them have reasonably thick body shells than MSIL and Maruti Omni should be seen as the safest of them all and those OEMs who value the sheet metal and give importance to it, they are idiots and fools!

--Akash

Thread Starter #13
It definitely does matter to an extent to judge the safety of a car by the crash test ratings. However, crash tests alone don't constitute the overall safety of the car. So, the strength of the body of a car has equal importance as the provision of safety features in it. There is no particular official measure to judge the thickness or thinness of the body of car except practical experiences of touch & feel.
--Akash
Well NCAP tests certain things at about 60kmph (or maybe miles) and rate stuff based on that. I dont buy the argument that airbags do make cars safe, I will prefer to have a thicker case to protect me. Airbags and seatbelts may prevent sudden jolts but cant replace structural integrity.
So the stronger car will be safer in an impact, Well a strong vehicle with seatbelts may be the thing to go for. IN any case the test has nothing to do with what really happens on road in most cases. I did see a few days back a TOP rated car simply lying with top down and killed two, Well there was no airbag on the roof. but cant believe modern cars simply get crushed if they fall of a bridge with top down. OOPS terrifying, Then there are a lot of cases where cars simply go under large trucks from back. there is no escape since the front of every car now adays is getting lower and lower exposing the front passengers who get the hit on face in such cases. SO nothing like keeping distance from the vehicle in front.[confused][confused]

Then well the TD did not happen. They could not reach me before 6.30 so the gentleman who called in the morning asked if it is ok to TD on maybe Monday. I agreed.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Well NCAP tests certain things at about 60kmph (or maybe miles) and rate stuff based on that. I dont buy the argument that airbags do make cars safe, I will prefer to have a thicker case to protect me. Airbags and seatbelts may prevent sudden jolts but cant replace structural integrity.
Absolutely that was point. I said, Crash tests don't translate to judging the overall safety of the car. One cannot deny the importance of a safe and strong body shell and quality of steel used.

So the stronger car will be safer in an impact, Well a strong vehicle with seatbelts may be the thing to go for. IN any case the test has nothing to do with what really happens on road in most cases.
For a valid reason the safety features of a car like Airbags etc are called SRS. First and foremost, a capably designed body shell is required followed by seat belts because without a seat belt, the airbags do not work.

Regards

Akash

kkn13

Suspended
"Capably designed body shell" , its a 20 year old Indica platform thats worked on
Dont twist my own arguement against me , you provide proof, you have no remote proof also whereas Suzuki does have Euro NCAP
The Suzuki platforms are NCAP tested in global variants and if they are compromised quality, doesnt mean Tata or any other brand is better
Also Baleno is exported from India to Japan and Baleno platform underpins Ignis so thats saying alot

If this was Wagon R,Celerio etc , no doubt, Tiago is better but bring in cars like Baleno,Ignis etc and the whole equation changes

As for Zest-

"With the zero star rating for the standard version, Global NCAP offered Tata Motors the opportunity to test another version of the Zest with more safety features as has been the case with other manufacturers. Accepting the opportunity, Tata introduced a structural improvement to the entire Zest range while Global NCAP tested the new version with optional airbags ."

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indi...o-airbags-4-stars-airbags-reinforcements.html

Enjoy

Top Bottom