Confused Between Tata Nexon XM and Maruti Baleno Zeta

Thread Starter #1
Though both belong to a separate segment, it’s all about best car for money for me, I like both cars and issue is with Baleno I will get 16" Alloy wheels, Leather on Steering and gear knob, auto folding mirrors, rear wiper, auto climate control, Alloy wheels, rear headrests, fog lamps, chrome door handles and these all features are missing in Nexon. Are they really necessary or I will regret not having them in the future?

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Confused between TATA Nexon XM and Maruti Baleno zeta?

Though both belong to a separate segment, it’s all about best car for money for me, I like both cars and issue is with Baleno I will get 16" Alloy wheels, Leather on Steering and gear knob, auto folding mirrors, rear wiper, auto climate control, Alloy wheels, rear headrests, fog lamps, chrome door handles and these all features are missing in Nexon. Are they really necessary or I will regret not having them in the future?
Buddy, if you are looking for the Diesel engine I would say go with the Nexon. Reason, Nexon has bigger diesel engine than Baleno and the performance too is good. Fog Lamps, Alloys & Chrome can be fixed later too. Leather on steering and gear knob can be fixed later as well. Auto AC & rear wiper isn't that big a deal breaker if you compare the benefit of Nexon over Baleno overall. Built Quality wise, Nexon is better than Baleno. Interior layout is way more better than Baleno. In case you are going for the Petrol engine, then also suggest you to take a Test Drive of Petrol Nexon though personally I did not find the Nexon petrol to be that appealing. Instead of Baleno, why don't you consider Ford Aspire too or maybe the new Xcent?

PS: Instead of Nexon Petrol, do a TD of New Eco Sport. This new Eco Sport is also a VFM offering in my view and has loads of features & a new Engine too.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
I neighther have test drove Nexon nor Baleno so can't comment about their features. But when consider about safer vehicle Tata's were always better than Maruti and even some others. Baleno is from Maruti stable and like all other vehicles of it, it's none other than a 'Tin Can' car. Have seen a newly dented car. Dent was so ugly (on front left door at lower side) that first I thought some vehicle must have crashed but, owner revealed that while parking he got dent as his relative took a bike on main stand to make little more space to park the car though forgot to took off side stand and car scrached it and got dent but nothing happen to bike. He was worried about the built quality. While you can ever search over the net about how strong and safer cars of Tata than Maruti. Also Maruti is selling low quality vehicles at high cost with their greedy and arrogant goons network with the myth of less costly spares, lesser maintainance and good after sales service which are utter sh***ty things.
I have pathetic experience with them, also we have maruti car so I know about the built quality hence, for me and from me big no to Tin Can Maruti.
Final decision is yours. What you prefer. So choose wisely.

Nexon is anytime better than Baleno in terms of power delivery, built quality. Although Baleno has renowned Fiat MJD, but it cannot be compared with 1.5L 100 PS. Nexon is look and feel more sportier than Baleno, although both cannot be compared in terms of specs and performance, as both falls under different segment.

My suggestion is to go for a top end car if you are willing to buy a premium product; buying a premium product without its premium feature makes no sense. It misses everything in lower variants for all the goodies the car is known.

Check out Ford FIGO Titanium+ Diesel car which comes with many good features and the best thing is the 1.5L 100PS powerful engine that too comes at price near about 8.25L all inclusive [approx.]. You get another choice of Sports variant in that.
Ford also claims the cheaper maintenance with respect to its rivals. The built quality is really far better than Baleno.

kkn13

Suspended
Id say neither
With BS VI on the horizon, 1.3 MJD is going to be phased out soon

Nexon is too new a product and that too a Tata, so engine reliability etc is a question mark as are factors like safety etc
People overhyping Tata for no reason, I suggest you provide actual base

Go for Figo or Ecosport imho
Ford has really outdone the new Ecosport and after sales etc is good now

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Nexon is too new a product and that too a Tata, so engine reliability etc is a question mark as are factors like safety etc
People overhyping Tata for no reason, I suggest you provide actual base

Go for Figo or Ecosport imho
Ford has really outdone the new Ecosport and after sales etc is good now
Nexon is a new product and everyone knows it in the industry as well as the buyers. As far as engines are concerned and their reliability is concerned then as on date, both Nexon and Eco-Sport have new engines in them be it in Petrol or Diesel. So, as we are raising questions on reliability of Tata Engines then equally we need to raise question on Ford's new engine too. Engine is the heart of the vehicle and both Nexon & Eco-Sport have a new one. In present day, how many Tiago(s) & Tigor(s) have you seen broken down on the roadside with engine failure issue? So, how can you assume that the 1.2L engine from Tata in Nexon will fail in long run? Do you also have any data with regards to engine failures in new generation Tata Cars w.e.f 2016 ever since Tiago was launched? As far as the new Ford Dragon engine is concerned, even for that we cannot simply assume its long term reliability. As for the brand, Tata Motors is improving at a reasonable pace and their products are gradually gaining buyers too. So, cribbing on the past beyond a limit shows lack of knowledge. Coming to the 1.5 Diesel engine of Nexon, unless and until a genuine report is shared about the failure of that engine, kindly refrain from making half-hearted and baseless assumptions simply based on the past track record. Also, let me tell you, TML has come out in the open and worked with full honesty. Be it the "loss making on cars" or be it the "closure of production for rectifying a fault". I don't think any mass-market brand & those who sell 20K units a month can come out and admit to niggles as openly and neither will they ever say that they are making loss. You know, what's a visionary's foresight i.e "Short term loss is OK for a long term gain". So, not just a handful of us are appreciating TATA, rather, the industry has begun to take note of their progress and the buyers also are taking note of it. Whether TATA has improved because of competition or because of the self belief, the fact is, TML has improved and that is what matters the most.

--Akash

kkn13

Suspended
TLDR you are overglorifying Tata

FYI Ford and other companies have an international presence and more expertise when it comes to engines for sure given the number of rally cars etc that they have produced over the years

Ford has introduced the engines in other markets much before India

Tata has a history of niggles
Forums and reviewers all share with my views

Unless you can provide proof, dont glorify brands just because you own a product from them
Agreed, Tata is making waves but not to the extent that Ill blatantly out down proven international spec stuff with no conclusive proof

As for "honesty" etc, let me tell you, Im not gullible to trust a brand within a span on 1-2 years of decent models in years . No brand can change overnight completely

Recognise each for what they are instead of forcing your pointless opinions, why else would I suggest cars like Tiago to people looking for Celerio/Wagon R etc if I was a hater

Im a realist, I typed my opinion, if you dont like it, well and good, Im a free citizen, so is the OP. Your views wont be considered blindly, especially when yours doesnt have any credibility
Funny thing- last time, you said I was biased to Toyota/Honda/Maruti etc, what happened now. Seems Im not so biased

Last edited:
As for "honesty" etc, let me tell you, Im not gullible to trust a brand within a span on 1-2 years of decent models in years . No brand can change overnight completely
Yet you are gullible enough to blindly follow brands like Honda, once they have earned your trust, no matter what kind of products they dish out in the present just because they have "presence" in other countries in the world.

And Tata's vehicles started improving post 2011. Please do some research before posting unnecessary drivel on a public forum.

Your post would've been subjective if your said both cars have new engines and reliability is unknown. That would have been a responsible and subjective reply.

Just because Ford has international presence, the engines reliability is taken for granted?

God help you mate!

@nvr instead of listening to anyone claiming to be enthusiast listen more to people who are mods and having Honored member tag like Akash and Vipul. That said Nexon trumps Baleno in almost every aspect but features do matter. With Nexon you would get ABS too as its a standard. Maruti build quality is poor so for safety I would prefer Nexon anyday.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
FYI Ford and other companies have an international presence
Who owns JLR now BTW? From whom was it bought?

Tata has a history of niggles
Which brand doesn't have? Name the brand with 0=ZERO niggles in the product.

Forums and reviewers all share with my views
Really! Where?

Unless you can provide proof, dont glorify brands just because you own a product from them
Prior to owning a Tata, for almost 11 years I owned a Maruti Suzuki Esteem and much before owning Tigor, I was convinced that Tigor is capable, no nonsense car. It serves my purpose well and I don't expect it to do 0-100 in 2 or 3 seconds. It takes a lot of research, it takes lot of knowledge and it takes a lot of insightful opinions to opt a brand or product which one has never owned. With the budget that I had as a cakewalk I would have gone ahead bought a CIAZ (top spec) petrol but to stand and face the facts isn't everyone's cup of tea. For me it is not just about owning or writing about cars, it is, understanding them from root level.

Agreed, Tata is making waves but not to the extent that Ill blatantly out down proven international spec stuff with no conclusive proof
Has Ford introduced here 1.6 in Eco Sport so far or the 2.0 L Engine sold as "international spec"? The cars offered in Indian market are driven by us in India and not Indonesia or Indianapolis. The OP has to buy and drive a car in India only so the specs to be discussed should be India specific. Why to lick around a spec that is not offered in India?

Your views wont be considered blindly, especially when yours doesnt have any credibility
I don't have to prove my knowledge. It is for everyone to see and understand what I write and mean.

--Akash

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended
ABS and dual airbags are standard in Baleno......
As for build quality, I suggest you show me NCAP proof of the same
I dont claim to be an enthusiast and being a mod or honoured tag doesnt mean hes god or knows everything, there are other members who might be more knowledgeable

Who owns JLR now BTW? From whom was it bought?

Which brand doesn't have? Name the brand with 0=ZERO niggles in the product.

Really! Where?

Prior to owning a Tata, for almost 11 years I owned a Maruti Suzuki Esteem and much before owning Tigor, I was convinced that Tigor is capable, no nonsense car. It survives my purpose well and I don't expect it to do 0-100 in 2 or 3 seconds. It takes a lot of research, it takes lot of knowledge and it takes a lot of insightful opinions to opt a brand or product which one has never owned. With the budget that I had as a cakewalk I would have gone ahead bought a CIAZ (top spec) petrol but to stand and face the facts isn't everyone's cup of tea. For me it is not just about owning or writing about cars, it is, understanding them from root level.

Has Ford introduced here 1.6 in Eco Sport so far or the 2.0 L Engine sold as "international spec"? The cars offered in Indian market are driven by us in India and not Indonesia or Indianapolis. The OP has to buy and drive a car in India only so the specs to be discussed should be India specific. Why to lick around a spec that is not offered in India?

I don't have to prove my knowledge. It is for everyone to see and understand what I write and mean.

--Akash
Buying JLR doesnt mean anything, funny thing is JLR outsells Tata cars 3:1 and their CV division is also declining

I dont know any brand without any niggles but Tata and Mahindra 1st gen cars are guaranteed niggle ridden, you can see ownership reviews for the same
Even Team BHP etc agree

Here you go:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/191396-tata-nexon-official-review.html

What you won’t:

• Overdone design will be a turnoff for many of you. Rear end is way too busy
• Jiggly low speed ride; bumps are felt in the city (unlike other Tata cars)
• 3-cylinder petrol can't match 4-cylinder competition in NVH. Has lag too
• The observant eye will notice some rough edges in fit, finish & quality
• Concerns over long-term reliability, more so of the freshly developed engines
• Missing essentials (telescopic steering adjustment, auto-dimming IRVM, proper dead pedal)
• Tata's inconsistent after-sales experience is far from that of Maruti & Hyundai
• Shorter service / checkup interval of 6 months & 7,500 km (rivals have 12-month gaps)

Proof enough??

Your "knowledge" ? or your views, I think knowledge is a big word and you cant label it.

Ford offers 1.6 engine abroad , too bad you didn't know

Wheres Nexon's international certifications?

Enjoy putting your head in the sand whenever someone puts forth views that you dont agree with, Ill leave anyone who reads this to decide whats right and wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
People baying for TATA'S blood for NEXON ncap ratings would you believe in a company which sells zero rated highly unsafe cars for so many years. If not for the Global NCAP organisation people would have still believed the international crash tests of the Swift and led into a false sense of safety but driving absolute TIN cans. Check out the video and then would you trust such a company which used the massive trust Indian people have placed in it to fool them like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNUPHflTrRA
Coming to Baleno the European version weighs 100 odd kgs more than the Indian version. Now go figure it out.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I dont claim to be an enthusiast and being a mod or honoured tag doesnt mean hes god or knows everything, there are other members who might be more knowledgeable
Not everyone can be a mod and to be a honored member first one has to be a pure enthusiast. Only knowledgeable guys are genuine enthusiasts in any field.

Buying JLR doesnt mean anything, funny thing is JLR outsells Tata cars 3:1 and their CV division is also declining
I am not interested in Numbers, I have official data with regards to it. My point is about international presence. TML and JLR do have international presence and we do know it.

I dont know any brand without any niggles but Tata and Mahindra 1st gen cars are guaranteed niggle ridden, you can see ownership reviews for the same
That's height! Precisely there is no brand which does not have niggles in their product. Point is how far the brand is faithful in accepting the niggles and rectifying them.

Even T*** B** etc agree
So does that ensure that Tata's Engine reliability and their ASC shall never improve because someone writes something? Are the opinions shared somewhere warrant the future of any brand? If I write here that Maruti makes sub-par cars will the sales of MSIL become Zero? Will people stop buying or trusting MSIL just because I wrote?

Your "knowledge" ? or your views, I think knowledge is a big word and you cant label it
I don't wish to. People with knowledge only understand a certain view or opinion.

Ford offers 1.6 engine abroad , too bad you didnt know
Wheres Nexon's international certifications?
I am asking 1.6 Eco Sport is here or not? It isn't right. So, why to suck around it when its not offered in India and the discussion is India specific? Secondly, TML is capable enough to decide about the Export plans of Nexon in future so who are we to anticipate anything or to assume anything?

Akash

Last edited by a moderator:
TLDR you are overglorifying Tata

FYI Ford and other companies have an international presence and more expertise when it comes to engines for sure given the number of rally cars etc that they have produced over the years

Ford has introduced the engines in other markets much before India
KKN

Are you sure that the DRAGON engine which is there in Ecosport in INDIA is same as in other countries and there are same parts and no changes at all? Please first check and then make statements.

Secondly, how is the engine in Nexon new? Its been a quite reasonable time that the same petrol engine is doing duty on Tiago & Tigor and I have not seen or heard about the reliability issues.

And if the engine is not good then why you suggested Tiago to people when the engine was actually new in the market?

There are people who are ready to lick and pick whatever Japanese/foreign manufacturers throw at us, be it underweight, unsafe cars compared to sold in other countries, be it smaller airbags, overpriced compared to other countries etc. This also shows low self respect some of us have. With Tata drastically improving and making cars which are neck to neck to any manufacturer certainly the days coming ahead would be bad for foreign manufacturers which take us for granted and serve us significantly overpriced, under featured, unsafe and different cars compared to sold outside.

Top Bottom