Toyota Fortuner With or Without ESP?

Thread Starter #1
Hi
To the learned automotive community.
There is a serious confusion regarding the purchase of an SUV in the 30L bracket. The primary choice was 4X2 Toyota Fortuner as it had all the bells and whistles except for technical safety measures like ESP and Traction control which are present only in either 4X4 or Automatic versions.
The doubt was regarding wether we should go ahead with buying a 4X2 Fortuner?
In our driving requirements we encounter mostly tarmac or broken roads or dusty terrains but nothing like very serious slush or ice. Even if ice driving will ever be needed it will be once in 3 or 4 years if we plan to take it to Ladakh.
Kindly share your know-how as to wether buying a 4X2 Fortuner without ESP will be a wrong decision or is it something not very relevant in the aforesaid driving set-up.
Further, will be wise to stick to Fortuner or will the 3.2 Titanium Endeavour make a better choice considering maintenance, driving pleasure, reliability and cost. Though it's costlier than the 4X2 Fortuner but if is Endeavour.
We are open to only these two options either a 4X2 Fortuner (lack of ESP being a confusion) or 3.2 Titanium Endeavour(Panoramic Sunroof being a major draw)
I look forward the guidance and suggestions from you all.
Thanks and Regards

For any novice ,but hardcore driving enthusiast ,Endeavour will be better choice ,as its drive programming is done by Microsoft,and its best in segment .Only limitation is its resale will be comparitively lower than Fortuner.
Fortuner is better in terms of its 4X4 mechanism ,as its a proven one (As per reviews in Overdrive comparision test in snowy himalayas).
Overall my choice will be go for Endeavour (Some will say ford has higher maintenance ,but i will say toyota is more expensive ,as my friend owns one ,and he has said the brand image contributes to price too).

Thread Starter #3
Very rightly said.
But apart from resale is the Endeavour better in all other attributes?
That is the dilemma.
The car will be kept for a period of 7 or 8 years so resale is not a serious concern.
The concerns are as follows:
1. Apart from resale is the Endeavour as reliable or cost effective to maintain as a Fortuner?
2. Which one of the two is easier to live with?
3. For the money which is a better machine or should I say offers more?
4. Since only 3.2 Titanium Endeavour is considered, is it's mileage too less compared to a 4X2 Fortuner.
5. Last but not the least, will buying any such SUV without ESP be risky in general driving conditions?

Recently I have driven Toyota Fortuner 4x4, and found that a massive power relies under the hood that drive drives a heft hulk. Now to keep that thing stable during highway runs you must have AWD system with ESP & TCS.

I remember a very old video on youtube about practical usage of 4x4 - TCS and ESP of Tata Aria. Watch it and you will feel that could happen in normal course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS2OZk5GPzU

But to my opinion Ford Endeavour is a better option to go with. The 3.2L 4x4 power bus really is a game changer for Ford in INDIAN market. Endeavour [Ford Everest] was a proven leader in other market considering its performance. Also people likes the bolder front of Endeavour than the sleek front of Fortuner.

It is up to you which HULK you should buy, but do not ever ignore ESP if it is available in cars.

bhvm

Honoured Member
I am baffled that such an expensive SUV comes without ESP. But its just being true to toyota tradition of Less car per more money.

Just get the Ford endy if you want premium feel or even top end XUV 500 and save up.

1. Apart from resale is the Endeavour as reliable or cost effective to maintain as a Fortuner?
Ford claims to undercut the ownership costs vis-a-vis their competition by 40%. The 10K service cost is a mere Rs.3346 which includes close to 10 liters of Synthetic Engine Oil.
2. Which one of the two is easier to live with?
Definitely the Endeavour. The comfort in the stock form is superior to Fortuner. Also, the steering is pretty light in city making it mask the bulk easily.
3. For the money which is a better machine or should I say offers more?
If you compare 3.2 Titanium with Fortuner 4x4 AT which are closely met on price, you get Panoramic sunroof, SYNC3 with android auto / apple carplay, bigger engine, extra airbag, rear diff lock, etc. in the Endeavour. The feature and safety list of the Endeavour can put twice the price cars to shame. For details, please refer my ownership review.
In terms of off-roading, don't go by the Overdrive's video as they compared a MT Fortuner with AT Endeavour which is not an apple to apple comparison.
4. Since only 3.2 Titanium Endeavour is considered, is it's mileage too less compared to a 4X2 Fortuner.
Mileage, compared to 4x2 Fortuner would be less. But I know someone who owns the new Fortuner 4x4 automatic gets only 0.5 kmpl better mileage than what I get. Considering I have 400cc more displacement, an extra cylinder and permanent 4x4 setup, I can live with this difference.
5. Last but not the least, will buying any such SUV without ESP be risky in general driving conditions?
To give you a perspective, ESP & TC saved the day when the crappy MRF tyres lost grip and aquaplaned during rain. Safety is something I would certainly not compromise.

Thread Starter #7
Thank you so much and coming nothing like having an owner's perspective.

Since there is no replacement of a feature like ESP the 4X2 Fortuner should be totally ignored.

Now it's just between the two vehicles. Fortuner or Endeavour.
But if it is Endeavour should it be only the 3.2 Titanium?

kkn13

Suspended
Im a hardcore Toyota fanboy but honestly Endeavour tugs at the heartstrings more
Forget resale value , compromise a little on the unmatched after sales of Toyota but get the Endeavour imho
Its a fantastic buy and easily the best car to buy on our roads now
I feel it beats all the Germans despite the segment difference

After the Japs, Koreans, Ford is good enough for aftersales, reliability etc

Thread Starter #10
Im a hardcore Toyota fanboy but honestly Endeavour tugs at the heartstrings more
Forget resale value , compromise a little on the unmatched after sales of Toyota but get the Endeavour imho
Its a fantastic buy and easily the best car to buy on our roads now
I feel it beats all the Germans despite the segment difference

After the Japs, Koreans, Ford is good enough for aftersales, reliability etc
Friends and relatives both own and run previous generation Endeavour and Fortuner and the ones driving a Fortuner are just not bothered about things like mantainance or service or things falling apart. But the ones having Endeavour are cribbing about something or the other not working well.
That gives jitters to imagine. Having a heavy duty SUV and always worrying about parts not working or going wrong.
This is where a Fortuner takes the lead. It will not give sleepless nights to the owner...to say the least.

kkn13

Suspended
Friends and relatives both own and run previous generation Endeavour and Fortuner and the ones driving a Fortuner are just not bothered about things like mantainance or service or things falling apart. But the ones having Endeavour are cribbing about something or the other not working well.
That gives jitters to imagine. Having a heavy duty SUV and always worrying about parts not working or going wrong.
This is where a Fortuner takes the lead. It will not give sleepless nights to the owner...to say the least.
Thats true but current gen Endeavour is fairly international spec and has better reliability than previous gen
Still, if you have doubts, Fortuner is a fine vehicle and will not disappoint , I can vouch for that
Go for 4x4 imho, itll get rid of torque steer if you are not used to it
My Tucson is 2wd and Ive grown used to torque steer under full throttle acceleration though

Last edited:
That's more of a perception as the Toyota reliability over the past few years has nose dived both in India and abroad. The comfort, features and safety net you experience in Endeavour on a daily basis far outweigh the what-if-something-goes-wrong scenario which you might never experience.

A Toyota Camry Vehicle run over 10Lakhs Kilometer. It is displayed near the Scientific Center, Kuwait. The owner did the routine maintenance and changed with original spare parts. This is done without an engine overhaul. It shows the durability and reliability of Toyota vehicles. Hence, my suggestion is Toyota.

Attached the news. Courtesy to Arab Times Newspaper.

t1.jpg

T2.jpg

kkn13

Suspended
You cant question Toyota reliability,after sales. Its not a perception, its reality
We've always had a Toyota in our garage- Qualis, Innova, Crysta, Fortuner along with cars from other brands
There is alot of difference in certain areas

That said, in this case, Endeavour tugs at my heartstrings more than Fortuner but knowing the (recently fairly minimalized) risks

Top Bottom