Purchasing New Car: Tata Tiago XZ vs Maruti Suzuki Ignis Delta

Thread Starter #1
Hi Guys

This is my first post on the forum.

I am from Bangalore. I am planning to buy a new car (first one). I have a budget of about 6.5 lakhs.

I have shortlisted Ignis Delta,Tiago XZ and Grand i10 magna.

However I feel Grand i10 is overpriced and not VFM.

I am confused between Ignis and Tiago. I will be spending around 8 to 10 years with first car before going for a next car, so long term reliability is a must.

I am a little skeptical about the Tiago's new 3 cylinder engine, on how it would perform against tried and tested engine of Maruti in long term.

My usage would be 6000 to 8000 KM in year, so choosing petrol over diesel. 65 city 35 highway.

Kindly let me know which car would fit my needs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: New car Tago XZ vs Ignis Delta

I feel it should be Tiago. Ignis looks too ugly IMO. Tata ASS is decent in Bangalore. There are many people who have done more than 20K in Tiago who would be giving you the correct picture. I have done close to 4200kms and not faced any major issues. I too wanted car for long term and went for Tiago (with slight risk obviously) but once you start understanding your car its not difficult. NVH levels of Maruti are better though but XZ has lot of features which make you happy in day to day usage.

kkn13

Suspended

Ignis is a very underrated car, has better engines than Tiago, more cabin space, higher driving position (good for long durations), good parts availability,resale value

3 cylinder engines like Tiago are very noisy, require frequent downshifts
Suspension is very stiff compared to Ignis too

Features are secondary to comfort imho

For 8 to 10 years of ownership, i would buy the Maruti Suzuki Ignis right away. Hyundai Grand i10 is not to be swiped off your shortlist, compared to Ignis, Grand i10 is a good option.
Car buying depends a lot on your buying criteria and features priority.
In my case, i would want driving pleasure and ease as well. A good music system coupled with safety features is also important. A touchscreen or big boot or keyless entry, button start are of least priority for me.
Have you started test driving your shortlisted cars? Test drive the Tata Tiago, Maruti Suzuki Ignis, Hyundai Grand i10. And also try to strike deals with the dealers.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
I feel it should be Tiago. Ignis looks too ugly IMO. Tata ASS is decent in Bangalore. There are many people who have done more than 20K in Tiago who would be giving you the correct picture. I have done close to 4200kms and not faced any major issues. I too wanted car for long term and went for Tiago (with slight risk obviously) but once you start understanding your car its not difficult. NVH levels of Maruti are better though but XZ has lot of features which make you happy in day to day usage.
Thanks @AbhisekVerma for the feedback. I too agree with the fact that Ignis is not looker. I have considered it manly because of the reliability.
I have gone through the below thread and see many happy customers.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...l-xz-laymans-review-third-service-update.html

Only thing I am big worried about Tiago is about the long term engine reliability [confused]

Ignis is a very underrated car, has better engines than Tiago, more cabin space, higher driving position (good for long durations), good parts availability,resale value

3 cylinder engines like Tiago are very noisy, require frequent downshifts
Suspension is very stiff compared to Ignis too

Features are secondary to comfort imho
Yes, agreed

For 8 to 10 years of ownership, i would buy the Maruti Suzuki Ignis right away. Hyundai Grand i10 is not to be swiped off your shortlist, compared to Ignis, Grand i10 is a good option.
Car buying depends a lot on your buying criteria and features priority.
In my case, i would want driving pleasure and ease as well. A good music system coupled with safety features is also important. A touchscreen or big boot or keyless entry, button start are of least priority for me.
Have you started test driving your shortlisted cars? Test drive the Tata Tiago, Maruti Suzuki Ignis, Hyundai Grand i10. And also try to strike deals with the dealers.
The only variant that fits by budget is i10 Magna which only gets 1 airbag(no ABS/EBD/music system). Also I have heard that FE figures are not that great.(Please correct me if I am wrong) .
I am planning to TD Tiago and Ignis this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

The only variant that fits by budget is i10 Magna which only gets 1 airbag(no ABS/EBD/music system). Also I have heard that FE figures are not that great.(Please correct me if I am wrong) .
Don't go for any car without ABS. Both Tiago and ignis are good. IMO long term reliability of Tiago should be very good and with AMC and extended warranty it is real VFM. But if you have slightest doubt about it then go for ignis. Better to be with herd then alone when proved wrong

Fuel efficiency of the Hyundai Grand i10 was disappointing in my case too and also i had AC issues in my Grand i10 (now sold), Although i heard the fuel efficiency is better with the new facelifted Grand i10.
Grand i10 magna is pretty badly equipped. Value for money variant for Grand i10 is the sportz(O) but it misses out on ABS (c'mon Hyundai).
Driving feel wise, the Tiago has pretty dismal power to weight ratio cause of its weight, even though it has 85 PS power. The driving please is far more nice with the Ignis cause of the tried and tested 1.2 l K series engine.
Even the Honda Brio has a sweet 1.2 l i-vtec engine but interior and exterior looks will not please you.
Do write about your feedback here after your test drives

Last edited:
In my opinion and based on reviews from close friends and my personal driving experience of all these cars i would suggest you only ignis in this list because of
Its four cyclinder engine . If you are planning for long term go for tried and tested engines with one cyclinder extra rather than going new revotorq engine with one cylinder less
Dont go by looks , looks can always decieve you only performance and stability can assure you for those long 8 years of ownership
Drving ignis in bangalore traffic is breeze as far as i am concerned tiago should excell in many departments to compete with ignis
Mainly that nvh levels while idealing .god got embarssed in many situation when ever we take tiago to some private parties .

There is no point in going for the Grand i10 as it lacks security features. The car is not that fuel efficient as well.
Ignis is the best bet if you are planning to keep the car for 8-10 years. It has a smooth and refined 4 cylinder engine which will give you very good mileage and power. As its a Maruti car, you wont face many reliability issues. Tata has improved a lot these days, but I dont think you should take the risk as you are planning to keep the car for a long long time.

so long term reliability is a must.
This line alone snathes the show. Ignis is the car you should go with IMHO, not that Tiago is unreliable but it is yet to prove its long term reliability.

Ignis +ves over Tiago :-
1. Better sets of engine
2. Proved reliability
3. It's a Maruti, so good resale and service

Tiago +ves over Ignis :-
1. Better ICE
2. Better Looks (subjective)
3. Better Seats

I would say TD both back to back, and choose one which ticks all boxes. But as mentioned above if your only priority is long term reliability and you can sacrifice on few stuffs, then go ahead with Ignis.

Thread Starter #13
Took Ignis TD , the car felt peppy to drive may be due to light kerb weight. Good leg room,head room in rear seats with front seat adjusted to my driving position(my height 5 11).
I was quite impressed with the interior space , despite being a compact car.

However Ignis Delta looks quite plane and simple.
Zeta looks much better with chrome linings and body cladding.

There were not discounts being offered.
Any one from Bangalore , got discounts on Ignis?

Did not get a chance to TD Tiago and I10. Planning to TD this week.

Attachments

Last edited:
Took Ignis TD , the car felt peppy to drive may be due to light kerb weight. Good leg room,head room in rear seats with front seat adjusted to my driving position(my height 5 11).
I was quite impressed with the interior space , despite being a compact car.

However Ignis Delta looks quite plane and simple.
Zeta looks much better with chrome linings and body cladding.

There were not discounts being offered.
Any one from Bangalore , got discounts on Ignis?

Did not get a chance to TD Tiago and I10. Planning to TD this week.
If you are a keen driver, the Grand i10 won't excite you, neither the Tiago. Ignis Delta even though plain has got ABS, EBD, a Head unit with two speakers. A Aftermarket amplifier and subwoofer will make the sound system pretty good. If you need a Touchscreen for the Ignis Delta, get yourself a Sony XAV-AX100 which comes with Android Auto and Apple Car play and retails at Rs 25000. I just wish the Tiago had better engine options. For my money, I would buy the Ignis right away.

kkn13

Suspended
Agreed but Grand i10 is better than the 3 cylinder in Tiago
Nothing like Suzuki K12 or 1.2 IVTEC though, very rev happy engines

PS- Any reason why Brio isnt considered? other than small boot space, its a fairly decent buy

Top Bottom